• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX500 series benchmarks

dr_rus

AMD Radeon RX 580/570 Review Roundup

AnandTech: The AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 Review: A Second Path to Polaris
ComputerBase.de: AMD Radeon RX 580 & 570 im Test: Asus, MSI, PowerColor und Sapphire im Vergleich
Eurogamer (Digital Foundry): AMD Radeon RX 580/ RX 570 review
Gamers Nexus: MSI RX 580 Gaming X Review vs. GTX 1060 SSC – Power, FPS, Thermals
Guru3D: ASUS Radeon RX 580 STRIX review
Guru3D: MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X review
Guru3D: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro+ 4GB review
OC3D.net: AMD RX580 PowerColor Red Devil Review
OverclockersClub: PowerColor Radeon Red Devil RX 580 8GB Golden Sample Review
PCGH: Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 im Test: Polaris-Refresh mit Taktplus
PCPerspective: The Radeon RX 580 8GB Review - Polaris Populism
TechPowerUp: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ Limited Edition 8 GB
TheTechReport: AMD's Radeon RX 580 and Radeon RX 570 graphics cards reviewed

Videos:
Digital Foundry: AMD Radeon RX 580 Review: How Much Faster Is 2nd Gen Polaris? + [1440p] Radeon RX 580/ RX 570 vs RX 480/ GTX 1060 Gaming Benchmarks
PCGH: Radeon RX 580 Review | Sapphire Nitro+ Limited Edition mit 1.450 MHz Boost
Paul's Hardware: Here's Some Radeon RX 580 & 570 Launch Benchmarks

Pricing:
Both the RX 580 and RX 570 are launching at $10 below their RX 400 series counterparts' launch prices from last summer. This puts the 8GB RX 580 at $229 and the RX 570 at $169. The odd man out is the RX 580 4GB, which is launching at the same $199 price as the RX 480 4GB. This keeps AMD spot-on the $199 sweet spot, while perhaps more importantly it does a better job of differentiating the card from the next card down, the $169 RX 570. The smaller $20 price gap between the 4GB RX 480 and RX 470 meant that the cards didn't always stand apart in a useful manner, especially hurting the RX 470.

Key point:
  • If you already own a Radeon RX 400-series card, the RX 500-series is not expected to be an upgrade path for you.
  • The Radeon RX 500-series is NOT based on Vega. Polaris here everyone.
  • Target users are those with Radeon R9 380 class cards and older – Polaris is still meant as an upgrade for that very large user base.

General performance comparison:

2017-04-1914_16_51-am0yu5i.png
2017-04-1914_17_15-amp0ua5.png

LordOfChaos

Safe to say, higher clocked 480 with an added memory clock state for better multimonitor power use?

Uses as much power as a GeForce GTX 1080 OC under load though, ouch. Kind of like the Extreme Edition of the bunch.

Part of the conclusion from Anandtech, pretty well the short of it.

Relative to the RX 480 and RX 470 then, the performance gains we're seeing with the RX 580 and RX 570 are nothing spectacular, but then AMD has kept their promises similarly small. In practice this means that the RX 580 is only averaging 3% faster than the RX 480 it replaces in AMD's product stack, while the RX 570 looks better, picking up 7% over the RX 470. Based on these numbers, I feel it's fair to say that while both cards are faster than their earlier incarnations, I wouldn't fault anyone for lumping the two generations of cards together. The small gains don't enable the newer RX 500 cards to do anything the RX 400 cards couldn't always do; though even a few percent can make all the difference in a game right on the bubble of sustaining 60fps.

Looking at the configurations of the cards, I suspect that the RX 580 would really like some more memory bandwidth, which is why the real-world gains are only about half of what we'd expect looking solely at the boost clocks. The RX 470 on the other hand did get a small increase in memory bandwidth, and it ends up being the stronger card for it. However I don't know if faster memory is a viable option for AMD and its partners, as none of the factory overclocked cards are shipping with overclocked memory.

As for the competitive landscape then, AMD's situation has improved, though I fear by not enough. Across the full spread of games in our benchmark suite, the RX 580 and GTX 1060 6GB change lead a few different times, so the RX 580 is able to best NVIDIA's best in absolute performance in the right games. The problem for AMD is that those games appear to be too few; as a result the RX 580 trails the GTX 1060 by an average of 7% at both 1080p and 1440p. AMD has narrowed the gap somewhat – this was an 11% deficit with the RX 480 – but not by enough. And coupled with AMD's worse power efficiency, this puts AMD in a tough spot. The biggest challenge right now is that GTX 1060 prices have come down to the same $229 spot just in time for the RX 500 series launch, so AMD doesn't have a consistent price advantage. That's the one thing AMD can change, and it's likely to be where they need to look next.

Caayn

So the RX580/RX570 are a slightly improved RX480/470.

Load power usage seems a tad high.
Any reason to buy one over the 1060?
Depends on the games. So it'll come down to price and how much you value the extra 2GB of RAM and the ability to run crossfire.

580 and 570 just straddle the 480 by about the same performance in either direction, like 10ish percent, maybe a little less. These were never going to be exciting but Vega has to be around the corner now that these re-badges are out of the way.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Glad I bit the bullet and bought a 1070 last year.

The 580 isn't bad for the price, but the 1060 seems like a better card.

hodgy100

A M D ffs!

I am not upgrading from my r9-290 for a very minimal perf boost i want you to release a £300 card that gives me a large performance increase so i can sit on that for another 3-4 years

ethomaz

Banned
Same RX 480 with better clocks and more power consumption.

You can overclock your RX 480 to reach the exactly same result.

Same RX 480 with better clocks and more power consumption.

You can overclock your RX 480 to reach the exactly same result.

You don't think the 580 would OC higher on average? Obviously not a reason for someone with a 480 to worry about it, but I assume they would at least be able to go a bit farther.

dr_rus

Wait what? Are the coming out with Vega iteration of RX580/570?
Or is Vega will only be RX560/590?

Vega will be Radeon RX Vega - as has been unveiled during GDC in March. It will take the place of Radeon R9 Fury and will as such be AMD's top end product, selling as 2-3 models (Vega, Vega Nano, cut down Vega, for example) above RX 580.

Does anyone know how much will the Vega cards probably cost?

This will likely depend on its performance. If it'll be close to GTX1080 then it'll cost about the same as GTX1080 which is $500 right now. If it will beat it significantly then it'll be somewhere between $500 and $700 (1080Ti's price).

ethomaz

Banned
You don't think the 580 would OC higher on average? Obviously not a reason for someone with a 480 to worry about it, but I assume they would at least be able to go a bit farther.
Unless the cooler is better it won't overclock more because the heat/power consumption increased with the clock. Even the TDP is higher... 185W vs 150W. That means there is no enhancement in the 14nm GF process... it is the same chip... I'm even open to say it is unsold Polaris 10 chips of RX 480 used to RX 580.

You will get the close results in OC with RX 480 or RX 580.

PFD

3% faster than RX 480 is within margin of error. It is essentially the same card

We're not looking at a R9 390 situation here

bomblord1

Banned
Are there 480's with factory overclocks that perform on par with this? I would guess some of the review might mention this but I don't want to go through all of them

shandy706

Well, this thread tells me I'm out of touch with AMD's GPUs (name wise).

I see "*80" and Nvidia cards have made me think "high end", but I see this is the low/mid tier card. Price wise it's not bad performance wise, although 1060s can be had pretty cheap.

ethomaz

Banned
Are there 480's with factory overclocks that perform on par with this? I would guess some of the review might mention this but I don't want to go through all of them
Yes... there are factory overclocks that perform even better than RX 580 stock... that depends of the clocks.

It is a RX 480 running at peak 1340MHz.

rrs

so an overwatted 480, yeah that's a number worthy jump
Why does this card even exist?
to scare nvidia in a quick, cheap manner. Although in reality it means 1060/1050 prices drop and it's back to square one

derFeef

Well, this thread tells me I'm out of touch with AMD's GPUs (name wise).

I see "*80" and Nvidia cards have made me think "high end", but I see this is the low/mid tier card. Price wise it's not bad performance wise, although 1060s can be had pretty cheap.

It's supposed to be the high end card for this series so the naming thing is kinda the same.

bomblord1

Banned
Yes... there are factory overclocks that perform even better than RX 580 stock... that depends of the clocks.

Alright meaning there's no reason to suggest this over a 480 then thanks. Was working on a build with someone and just wanted to be sure I shouldn't tell them to hold off for the 580 (the GPU is a 480).

ethomaz

Banned
Alright meaning there's no reason to suggest this over a 480. Was working on a build with someone and just wanted to be sure I shouldn't tell them to hold off (the GPU is a 480).
RX 480 8GB is probably cheaper... even the factory OC (and probably has a better cooler).

Marmelade

Alright meaning there's no reason to suggest this over a 480. Was working on a build with someone and just wanted to be sure I shouldn't tell them to hold off (the GPU is a 480).

Hold off?
The 580 is available
You should definitely choose it over a 480 (if the price is around the same obviously)

Why does this card even exist?

If I had to make an actual guess? Polaris sold like garbage and AMD is clearing inventory and biding time while they try and hide Vega delays--probably related to production issues. At least with the 390/390X they were legitimately better cards out of the box, these things seem like literally the exact same cards repackaged. AMD seems to have a really bizarre market strategy with the Radeon Group.

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhhh I just saw now.

They increase the GPU clock but not the memory clock.

So RX 480 8GB OC models are better options because they come with better memory speeds.

Evilmaus

Bit of a weird one really.

My Fury Nitro should keep me going for the foreseeable future anyways. I'm yet to find it really struggling with anything.

I was just about to post this exact question.
Seems like a fairly lazy side-grade. Maybe downward cost pressure on similar tier Nvidia cards?

It's not even really that much cheaper. The MSRP for reference RX580's is the same price as reference 1060's, but the third party iterations are more expensive than equivalent 1060's since they are newer products. You could just buy a factory OCed RX480 and it's literally better.

Missed opportunity to drop the RX and simply call it in the Radeon 5XX.

The RX is unnecessary. Same thing with VEGA.

Anyway, patiently waiting for baby VEGA that will compete with 1070. All I want is 1070 like performance but with support for FreeSync.

inb4 it's been 84 years.

I just bought an ASUS DUAL RX 480 8GB two weeks ago.

You're losing 5% performance, maybe 9% at the most in certain situations. Nothing to cry home about.

If you got the 480 on sale, you most likely got a better price/performance ratio.

Caayn

Ohhhhh I just saw now.

They increase the GPU clock but not the memory clock.

So RX 480 8GB OC models are better options because they come with better memory speeds.
There won't be a reference version of the RX580/570. Making it entirely depended on the model and what price it's at.
Vega will be Radeon RX Vega - as has been unveiled during GDC in March. It will take the place of Radeon R9 Fury and will as such be AMD's top end product, selling as 2-3 models (Vega, Vega Nano, cut down Vega, for example) above RX 580.
Feels like AMD is trying to create a HALO product similar to NVIDIA's Titan products.

FingerBang

Well, nothing to see here. We've known this was a rebrand for almost 2 months and the perfomance confirms it.

The 580 is a stock OC 480. Things might be different for the 570 and 560 though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
These seem to have more headroom than RX 480. Majority of RX 480's, mine included, max at 1390MHz core/2250MHz mem for a Firestrike graphics score of 13k. Guru3d got a 14k Firestrike graphics score at 1411MHz boost and managed a 1475MHz OC, but didn't list regular Firestrike graphics score.

Pretty much a refresh with 6% more OC headroom.

dr_rus

Feels like AMD is trying to create a HALO product similar to NVIDIA's Titan products.

Or they just try to differentiate Vega from Polaris since it for all intents and purposes is a bigger architecture update than Polaris ever was.

Anyway, patiently waiting for baby VEGA that will compete with 1070. All I want is 1070 like performance but with support for FreeSync.

Same, and sincerely I'm becoming tired of waiting for VEGA. I just want to upgrade my old 7870 with something that will last longer than this 580

Top Bottom