• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Where the hell is

star_fox_snes.jpg

snes-pilotwings-box-front.jpg

Uniracers_boxart.png

Supermariokart_box.jpg

Pilotwings_64_box.jpg

ssb.jpg

n64dd_f_zerox.gif

Donkey_Kong_64_Box_Art.jpg

marioten.jpg

etcetera?

The ones that I do not personally own are Uniracers, Pilotwings, Pilotwings 64, and F-Zero eXpansion, and there is nothing wrong with me wanting games that I already have.

gerg

cantstanja said:
Where the hell is

[pictures]

etcetera?

The ones that I do not personally own are Uniracers, Pilotwings, Pilotwings 64, and F-Zero eXpansion, and there is nothing wrong with me wanting games that I already have.

You do realise that there's at least a year of the VC service to go, don't you?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gerg said:
You do realise that there's at least a year of the VC service to go, don't you?
lies. all gaffers know it was shut down recently.

re the ironman game - don't spare the impressions, gaf!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
cantstanja said:
Hmmm, ok? I don't see any fingers pointing at you.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Frencherman said:
Is this a possible option, anyway?

There's a chance, maybe, who knows... look at the previous page, my post for TT statement. Tomorrow we should know better if a fix ain't happening.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
To anybody who has a Japanese Wii, can you tell me how the VC Arcade version of Cyber Sled plays? Does it have multiplayer?

CTLance

Freck, I'm dirt poor at the end of the month, but Driift Mania looks like it could be quite awesome. Impressions please!

cantstanja said:
Where the hell is

*images*

etcetera?

Some of those fall under emulation work required (Starfox, F-Zero X Expansion and DK64).

Uniracers probably won't be coming due to Pixar. I can only find anecdotal evidence like the following:
http://www.startpause.com/2007/02/23/game-sequels-that-need-to-happen-uniracers-2/ said:
You see, back in the early days, before Disney picked them up, Pixar did short CG animations. Their first to receive any acclaim whatsoever starred a red unicycle, and the stars of Uniracers bore an uncanny resemblance to Pixar’s creation, so production and sale of Uniracers was halted.
and
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/uniracers/trivia said:
According to Mike Dailly who worked with DMA Design:

"Dave (Jones) sort of got the idea (for the game) from Red's Dream - an old Pixar short, although how he translated that into a mad racing game is anyone's guess."
If that stupid old rumours like the "Wario Wher eTwisted didn't come in Euorpe due to merkury senzors despite the game not using mercury in its pizoelectric gyroscorez" then I apologize.

Super Mario Kart and Smash Bros are game #350 and #400 (what I mean is there is no reason why they are not out yet).

Mario Tennis (and Party for that matter) will be along time due to the fact Nintendo would rather you buy the Wii versions.

As for Pilotwings. This has got the 5th time I've looked up a non-existant Japanese release of Pilotwings 64 on the virtual console (why do I keep thinking it is out in Japan).

Capndrake

Next month's Japanese VC:

FC:
-Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu - Subette Koronde Dai Rantou (Kunio hockey)

SFC:
-Final Fantasy IV (Aug 4th)

MD:
-Pengo (Aug 4th)
-Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

VCA:
-Cosmo Gang the Video (Aug 4th)
-Pac-Mania (Aug 4th)

Apenheul

CTLance said:
Freck, I'm dirt poor at the end of the month, but Driift Mania looks like it could be quite awesome. Impressions please!

It's okay in singleplayer mode if you liked Ironman OffRoad or other top-down racers but it shines in multiplayer mode. There are 15 stages, 6 different game modes varying from championship racing to modes like tag or 'hold the potatoe' (my favorite mode is meteor mode which is almost like championship with the difference that an increasing amount of meteors keep falling and it's incredibly hard to finish without getting hit). And also there are many many vehicles to choose from (and lots of unlockable wacky vehicles such as a hovercraft or a golf-cart) which have their own driving characteristics.

The controls are fine (left, right, brake/reverse, accelerate), how the vehicle reacts differs a lot between vehicles though, and of course they drift (hence the name) so you'll have to learn the steering characteristics of a car before you can make pixel-perfect turns. The cars are physics driven so you may actually roll over if you hit anything. The multiplayer mode is very customizable, you can play it with up to 8 people simultanously (i.e. one player uses wiimote, second uses 1st player's classic controller etc). I've only played with two friends so far and set the other 5 cars to COM (computer controlled AI). A championship is normally 4 courses but you can also set it to 'all tracks' and randomize them if you like.

You don't use items in this game which is fine since often it's mayhem right from the start. Occasionally you'll find oil on the road if two cars collided, or a fence which was driven over by someone. Oh and there are Mario Kart-like boosters.

Overall it's a good game for multiplayer, I'll probably play it quite often with friends. For just one player I don't think it's worth the 8 bucks.

Starwolf_UK said:
If that stupid old rumours like the "Wario Wher eTwisted didn't come in Euorpe due to merkury senzors despite the game not using mercury in its pizoelectric gyroscorez" then I apologize.
I don't understand this sentence here.

cantstanja said:
I don't understand this sentence here.
The typing was intentionally poor but basically a common bit of mis-information that has done its rounds accross the internet is the European release of Wario Ware Twisted was canceled becuase the game uses a liquid mercury sensor and EU law doesn't allow that. However, lquid mercury is forbidden in serveral US states as well. In fact, the game uses one of these and so the hunt for an explaination of why Nintendo of Euopre didn't release to game goes on.

I was thinking my "Uniracers won't happen due to similarities to a Pixar character" theory could be a similar piece of misinformation.

Capndrake said:
Next month's Japanese VC:

FC:
-Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu - Subette Koronde Dai Rantou (Kunio hockey)

SFC:
-Final Fantasy IV (Aug 4th)

MD:
-Pengo (Aug 4th)
-Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

VCA:
-Cosmo Gang the Video (Aug 4th)
-Pac-Mania (Aug 4th)

In addition to these, SeaFarm is coming to Japanese WiiWare this Tuesday. It's a dolphin raising/training/competing game and only costs 500 pts. May pick it up :)

Telltale should have not released the game on WiiWare if it was not ready. They should have delayed a few weeks to try to get it better. Also, if they think the Wii isn't capable of running the game, then don't release it for it. The last thing people want is half-assed MI. And TT, please do not skimp out on things in all versions of the next installment just so it will fit on the Wii.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Starwolf_UK said:
The typing was intentionally poor but basically a common bit of mis-information that has done its rounds accross the internet is the European release of Wario Ware Twisted was canceled becuase the game uses a liquid mercury sensor and EU law doesn't allow that. However, lquid mercury is forbidden in serveral US states as well. In fact, the game uses one of these and so the hunt for an explaination of why Nintendo of Euopre didn't release to game goes on.

I was thinking my "Uniracers won't happen due to similarities to a Pixar character" theory could be a similar piece of misinformation.
It's so insane that you dudes never got Twisted. One of my favorite games of last gen.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
In addition to these, SeaFarm is coming to Japanese WiiWare this Tuesday. It's a dolphin raising/training/competing game and only costs 500 pts. May pick it up :)
Man, seeing that trailer just makes me wish we could get a new, full-fledged Ecco game at some point.

Dragona Akehi said:
S-E is going to be releasing some games on VC soon.
You mean in the US? Or more games for Japan that we don't know about yet?

Shiggy

Starwolf_UK said:

It was related to the rumble thing inside the cartridge, I believe. That's why they also didn't release Screw Breaker/Drill Dozer over here. When they had changed everything and wanted to release it in December 2006, it was just too late and the game was cancelled.
We also got the DS Rumble Pak much later.

mclem

Dragona Akehi said:
S-E is going to be releasing some games on VC soon.
We *know* Final Fantasy is due, and yet even now I can't help but think it'll be Rad Racer instead.

Wonder what the plans are for Europe, I guess they'd be Hanabi Festival affairs over here if they're released at all.

Stink

Just played 45 minutes of Driift Mania.

Ironman fans rejoice. Game is fuckawesome :O

Also reminded me a lot of a game on the ZX Spectrum called 3D Stock Cars.

y2ghx.gif

mclem said:
We *know* Final Fantasy is due, and yet even now I can't help but think it'll be Rad Racer instead.

Wonder what the plans are for Europe, I guess they'd be Hanabi Festival affairs over here if they're released at all.

You honestly think I'd bother to post about Rad Racer? Shame on you. :p

Nuclear Muffin said:
How soon are we talking? Also, might it be something that isn't called Final Fantasy? (Perhaps even a game beginning with C?)

Soon.

And you think SE is going to release CT on VC when the DS version is STILL selling?

AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

Dragona Akehi said:
Soon.

And you think SE is going to release CT on VC when the DS version is STILL selling?

Dragon Quest? All part of a campaign to build awareness for the imminent release of DQ9 in the West? ;-)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dragona Akehi said:
Soon.

I thought CT did rather poorly.
It dropped to 19.99 a while ago as well.

Dragona Akehi said:
Soon.

Hey, they released Front Mission on VC and FFT on PSN despite them both seeing recent re-releases!

I don't really expect CT for another two years at least though, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't get Quintet's games rather than just the FF games ;)

Dragona Akehi said:
Guys. Really. What game do you think would fit with SE's current downloadable releases?

Yeah I know that it's probably going to be just FF1 and FF4, I'm just feigning hope for something else from the Square and Enix (Not Taito or Eidos) side in addition to FF.

Hobbun

Dragona Akehi said:
Guys. Really. What game do you think would fit with SE's current downloadable releases?

Yes, I expect it to be FF and FF IV, as Nintendo announced them at E3 (or was it GDC?).

But it would be great to see the Soul Blazer series. Or especially the Lufia games (as my understanding, SE owns Taito).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dragona Akehi said:

Bushido Blade 1 and 2, along with the announcement that the Playstation 1 will be added to the Virtual Console, of course!

Tell me there's a Bushido Blade 3 for MotionPlus in the works, Dragona, please :(.

Kilrogg said:
Tell me there's a Bushido Blade 3 for MotionPlus in the works, Dragona, please :(

Given what has come to Wii so far, I wouldn't be surprised by Bushido Blade Returns, a straight port of the PS1 version with standard remote controls...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
Soon.

Do you think that the Chrono Trigger fanbase wouldn't buy BOTH the DS and a VC version? They were defending the $40 price tag on the DS version not that long ago..

Dragona Akehi said:

Did we get King's Knight yet?

Edit: We did, it appears.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DavidDayton said:
Do you think that the Chrono Trigger fanbase wouldn't buy BOTH the DS and a VC version? They were defending the $40 price tag on the DS version not that long ago..
Won't happen.

CTLance

Oh yes, some Lufia love woud be nice. I want to dive into that hellish dungeon again, and sniffle at the ending. And one day I will find the guy that told me I could influence who Maxim gets married to, and I will beat the everloving crap out of him.

Also Mystic Quest Legend. Haters be damned, I had fun with that game.

And Live a Live. And EVO. And Terranigma.

...so many as of yet unreleased SE games... so... many... *twitch*

Illusion of Gaia/Time would ALSO be nice alongside Terranigma. A man can dream.

And screw the haters, FFMQ is fun and completely justified by its soundtrack.

Somnid

Yeesh, Nintendo's really blowing a load this week. Maybe to entice those picking up a new Black Wii and Monster Hunter to get some downloadable games too.

VC:
Final Fantasy IV (SNES, Square Enix, 900pts)
Pepenga Pengo (MD, Sega, 600pts)
Cosmo Gang the Video (ARC, Bandai Namco, 800pts)
Pacmania (ARC, Bandai Namco, 800pts)

WiiWare:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Mezase! Hikari no Boukendan (Nintendo, 1200pts)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Ikuze! Arashi no Boukendan (Nintendo, 1200pts)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Susume! Houno no Boukendan (Nintendo, 1200pts)
Bit.Trip Core (Arc System Works, 500pts)
Beach de Oshiro wo Tsukuccha Wow! (Konami, 500pts)
Tomenasannaa Wii (Konami, 500pts)
Derby Dog (Sims, 500pts + DLC)
Shikakui Atama wo Maruku Suru. Mainichi Minna de Challenge Hen (IEE Institute, 800pts)
Sea Farm - Iruka to Watashi no Showtime (T&S, 500pts + DLC)

DSi (Goes up 8/5)
DSiWare 200:
Electroplankton: Luminarion (Nintendo)
Electroplankton: Sun-Animalcule (Nintendo)

DSiWare 500:
Otona no Tame no Keizan Training (IEE Institutute)
Utsushite Jikan! Diet Memo (Bandai-Namco)
Tantei Jinguuji Saburou Akenai Yoru ni & Nazo no Jikenbo (Arc System Works)

Yes, that's 13 downloadable games for Wii on the 4th.

Top Bottom