• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

UnrealEck

I don't PC game much and my brother in law sold my wife (his sister) a PC that has an i7 2600, 7850 overclocked, and 8 GB of RAM and I was wondering about Mantle. How do I enable this for my wife.

Download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
In-game go to graphics in the options menu and change the API from DirectX11 to Mantle.

molnizzle

Interesting. So you're setting the cap of 60 with the command line, then locking the game at 30 with an outside tool, the Inspector. I'll have to try that, I have an AMD card so maybe RadeonPro will allow me to lock at 30.

Yeah, it's basically the same thing as capping any normal 60fps game to 30fps.

I just did some more testing, you don't need to lower the HBAO setting either. It's fine even on max.

Post-processing set to medium seems to be the secret sauce.

Wag

I have a 3770k@4.4GHz, 16GB, tri-SLI Titan setup, and installed the 344.75 drivers. What's a good graphics config setup for this game? I have everything maxed out. I assume 4x AA is going to slow me down here? I should keep it at 2x?

IceIpor

I don't PC game much and my brother in law sold my wife (his sister) a PC that has an i7 2600, 7850 overclocked, and 8 GB of RAM and I was wondering about Mantle. How do I enable this for my wife.

Download the new beta drivers. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

Uninstall old drivers using control panel's AMD install manager. Uninstall everything.
Restart. Install new drivers. Restart.
Change settings in-game to Mantle, and done!

On another note, I'm pleasantly surprised how fast both AMD and Nvidia were to release drivers for Far Cry and DA:I so quickly.
I hope it continues for future games!

Miskonius

Neo Member
I dont know if this has already been mentioned but i have heard of reports that Inquisition (dont know is it Denuvo or not) has insane amounts of writes whether is it SSD or HDD. it Goes around 40 GB in 30 minutes which can seriously reduce life expectancy of a SSD.
Can anyone confirm this?

855315e479_7456270_14771512.png

Source

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-ride-the-bull.75304/page-355#post-3599880

http://gamemag.ru/news/drm-zashchita-dragon-ageinquisition-denuvo-antitamper-ubivaet-ssdhdd-101753

"Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data tracking
Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code are fucked around between RAM and HDD in the span of one hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bullshit usage of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though code chunks are quite small(couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for 4-8 hours(depends on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye to that block."

Download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
In-game go to graphics in the options menu and change the API from DirectX11 to Mantle.

Download the new beta drivers. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

Uninstall old drivers using control panel's AMD install manager. Uninstall everything.
Restart. Install new drivers. Restart.
Change settings in-game to Mantle, and done!

On another note, I'm pleasantly surprised how fast both AMD and Nvidia were to release drivers for Far Cry and DA:I so quickly.
I hope it continues for future games!

Thanks guys.

Khal_B

i5 2500k
GTX 3GB 780
8GB RAM

I'm playing the game at 1440p and the framerate fluctuates between low 30s to high 40s. I think I might lock it to 30 when I get home from work.

However, the cutscenes are what I'm most concerned with. Really choppy and sluggish. Also, I noticed a glitch where when I skip a cutscene and the conversation wheel pops up, the game zooms in on my face really awkwardly and my character's face does not animate, even during dialogue.. This glitch didn't occur when I let the previous cutscene run. Really weird.

So is the game better on a PC with a gamepad or with a mouse/keys?

As a diehard m/kb guy, I found myself having to resort to using a controller. First time that I've felt the need to do this in a BioWare game.

Naminator

Banned
I dont know if this has already been mentioned but i have heard of reports that Inquisition (dont know is it Denuvo or not) has insane amounts of writes whether is it SSD or HDD. it Goes around 40 GB in 30 minutes which can seriously reduce life expectancy of a SSD.
Can anyone confirm this?

That seems ridiculous, I don't think the game is even 40GB large.

Elman

The new NVIDIA drivers seem to help, especially with Ambient Occlusion. Yesterday I could barely hit 50 FPS. Now, I'm getting a stable 60 FPS at 1200p with the following settings:

Origin In-Game: Disabled

Mesh Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Texture: Ultra
Tessellation: High

Terrain: High
Vegetation: High
Water Effects: Medium

Post Process Quality = Ultra
Post Process AA = High
Ambient Occlusion = SSAO
Effect Quality = High
MSAA = Off

The bolded settings seemed to have the greatest impact on FPS with my setup:

i7-2600k
GTX 670
8 GB RAM
Windows 8

If anyone else is having trouble, I highly recommend dialing down the Effects setting and disabling HBAO. Lowering the Mesh, Shadow, Texture, and Tessellation settings provided small performance gains compared to the bolded settings.

EDIT

I'm taking this brief opportunity to state that the above post is all bullshit. Once I hit the Hinterlands, I had to dial down just about everything. I left Mesh and Texture quality at Ultra, left HBAO on, Tessellation at low, and reduced just about every other setting to its lowest. Whatever, 70 hours in and I'm enjoying it so far.

JohngPR

Are the awful loading times fixed as well?

For the most part, yes. It seems like the game itself takes a few seconds more to load up to the main menu when you first boot it up but the load times into the game are similar...maybe a few seconds longer...no big deal.

I keep changing my story because I keep testing but now I see the advantage of using Mantle. :p

I got to a bit that was chugging along in the between 40-45fps' and out of curiosity I switched to Mantle and did the same part and was getting 45-50ps' in the same part. It seems when the framerate dips hard, it still does so with Mantle but with an 8-10 fps advantage.

With all that said, now I have to find a way to still capture screenshots while using Mantle. LOL

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I know my CPU is the bottleneck on my rig, but it bugs me to see it's only at like 63% usage when playing the game, meanwhile my 7950 is always at 80-100%. But OC'ing my gfx card had zero effect on my performance.

Mantle from the few minutes I checked it out last night really improved my FPS big time. My testing ground of that big statue in Redcliffe, which was where I've had the worst performance in the game, was at like 24fps with some dips and jumps on DX11 with a big mix of medium and ultra settings, but then with Mantle I had a much more solid spread of high and ultra settings, as well as fade touched textures, and was sitting in the mid 30s with only rare dip to 28/29 fps right around the statue when panning around a lot.

Gonna have to do some more testing to hit that sweet spot, but I'm happy if Mantle is able to provide that big of a boost on the settings I have now. Probably will use the command line to lock it at 30fps just to keep it consistent.

i7920 oc'd 3.6ghz
7950 3gb
16gb ram

Vlaphor

Getting this game in a few hours and feel pretty confident about how it'll run (I7 4790k, GTX 770 2gb, 8gb Ram) at 1080P, but what tweaks should I run to make it look a bit nicer?

Sohaim

Hello, friends. How is the i7 4790K with 980GTX fare with DA: Inquisition? Can I expect average of 60fps on max settings 1080p?

i have a 4770k at 4.0ghz, it dips to 46 fps on places full of npcs, but in general its a good stable 60 fps, all maxed out with no AA, that thing is a performance killer.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Can anyone confirm this?

Source

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-ride-the-bull.75304/page-355#post-3599880

http://gamemag.ru/news/drm-zashchita-dragon-ageinquisition-denuvo-antitamper-ubivaet-ssdhdd-101753

Holy shit WTF! This really really makes me rethink about getting the game. WTF! Ruining a hard disk! Come the hell on!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Reinstalled the amd drivers and about to see what kind of difference mantle makes. I was pretty much sticking at 60fps with everything but post processing on high at 1680x1050. Running an i7 920, r9 290, and 8gigs of ram.

Smokey

There is not an available Nvidia driver for this yet? I am using 344.65. I know a FC4 Game Ready driver is supposed to drop today, but not sure about DA:I. I ran benchmark from Med -> Custom before work today. Is the benchmark supposed to only take 15 or so seconds.

Setup:

4930k @ 4.3ghz
3x GTX Titan Blacks
ROG Swift (2560x1440, Gsync)

--

I used the presets and for Custom I completely maxed everything.

Med: 162fps avg
High: 122fps avg
Ultra: 81fps avg
Custom: 63fps avg
Text Quality - Fade Untouched
Tessellation - Ultra
Post Processing - Ultra
AA - 4x MSAA

Just did a clean install with the new Nvidia drivers and ran the benchmark again using the Custom preset above (max everything @ 2560x1440). I got result of 69.7 fps. Not a bad gain.

At the stock clocks I got 57fps on my Custom preset.

So from stock OC to additional OC plus new drivers I got a gain of 12fps. NOT BAD. Oh and Gsync works for me again after the clean install.

IceIpor

Holy shit WTF! This really really makes me rethink about getting the game. WTF! Ruining a hard disk! Come the hell on!

This is the only thread i found on GAF about this issue and no one was banned
I am having trouble believing in it myself since those speeds would be impossible to reach on HDD and still have a fluid gameplay. Unless denuvo adjusts by seeing what type of drive the game is being installed on...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934459

Yes, but later reports seem to suggest that there is no high activity associated with DA.

Measured SSD stats for 20 minutes while running the game. Doesn't seem like there's something wrong with it

B2uxh_SIIAAwRLH.png

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Hmmm. Fullscreen is running smoother for me than windowed full screen for some reason. It's usually windowed that works better for me.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
dont expect a constant 60fps, i dont think you need the MSAA tbh, the post processing does its job very well.

Cheers :) You have a 980 I presume judging from the reply above the post? What about the fade touched textures, are they a big step up from Ultra? And are you employing any tweaks from Nvidia inspector?

garath

Well I only had a few minutes over lunch to play around so I didn't even get to start a new game, I just ran the benchmark tool (WITH RTSS and Origin overlay so that may degrade performance a bit too). I didn't even have time to watch the benchmark, just saw the results.

I got:

58.66 avg fps
44.xx min fps

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
8 gigs DDR3
EVGA 970 FTW
Windows 7 64bit

Borderless windowed
vsync on

I used automatic which was everything set to max except:

Tessallation: High
Textures : fade touched (I guess this is maxed actually lol)
MSAA 2x

Latest Nvidia drivers from this morning.

Seems pretty accurate. People have reported the in-game fps is better than the benchmarks. Happy enough for me then. I'll give it a proper workout later today.

edit: oh and I have triple buffering vsync enabled through the drivers

garath

Here's another pic from the BSN after 2 hours of Inquisition:

screen.jpg

Well isn't that a stark difference from that guy that posted 40gigs in 40 min.

Let's see if this pic makes its way out into the internet too lol. (probably not since it kills the lynch mob)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I ran the benchmark, but I'm not sure how accurate it is since it's messing up for me and just skips through it then plays the sound all at once at the end of it.

With an i7 920, r9 290 and 8GB of RAM I got:

(avg, min)
Mantle Fullscreen - 55,53
Mantle Windowed Full - 66,41
DX11 Fullscreen - 55,33
DX11 Windowed Full - 51,36

The game runs smoother for me while in fullscreen on mantle. When I try to go windowed fullscreen it's jittery.

Goldrush

Played a couple of hours and everything is going well for me. However, my game locked if I'm on the start menu for more than 30 seconds. Hopefully, that's not an indication of how my setup will perform with more intense scenes in the game.

Araris

Neo Member
Excellent performance on my end.
In game benchmark results:
Avg. FPS: 74.31
Min. FPS: 59.9

Settings:
Everything on Ultra, except effects on High & no MSAA @1920x1080.

i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz
GTX 780 SC
16GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 8.1 - Everything installed on a Samsung SSD840.

garath

Excellent performance on my end.
In game benchmark results:
Avg. FPS: 74.31
Min. FPS: 59.9

Settings:
Everything on Ultra, except effects on High & no MSAA @1920x1080.

i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz
GTX 780 SC
16GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 8.1 - Everything installed on a Samsung SSD840.

I was going to say your CPU must be crushing it, then I saw you aren't using any MSAA. min fps of 60 is great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hows the new nvidia driver working out?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I ran the benchmark, but I'm not sure how accurate it is since it's messing up for me and just skips through it then plays the sound all at once at the end of it.

With an i7 920, r9 290 and 8GB of RAM I got:

(avg, min)
Mantle Fullscreen - 55,53
Mantle Windowed Full - 66,41
DX11 Fullscreen - 55,33
DX11 Windowed Full - 51,36

The game runs smoother for me while in fullscreen on mantle. When I try to go windowed fullscreen it's jittery.

What are your settings and have you OC'd your 920? I know the r9 290 is way better than my 7950, but you're getting way better performance than I am.

Sohaim

Cheers :) You have a 980 I presume judging from the reply above the post? What about the fade touched textures, are they a big step up from Ultra? And are you employing any tweaks from Nvidia inspector?

Fade touched textures? no tweaks from Nvidia inspector, can you explain me about these textures?
PS: nvm i just found it LOL, will be testing it now, i will post back to see if theres any impact.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What are your settings and have you OC'd your 920? I know the r9 290 is way better than my 7950, but you're getting way better performance than I am.

My CPU is stock. I have the resolution at 1680x1050, everything is on high except post processing which I put on low and effects are on ultra.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My CPU is stock. I have the resolution at 1680x1050, everything is on high except post processing which I put on low and effects are on ultra.

Interesting, stock is pretty far below recommended specs and all the previews said the game was very CPU heavy, that's why I OC'd to nearly a whole ghz more to 3.6, but I guess the 290 really makes up for that. Though you are at a slightly lower resolution, but 1680x1050 isn't that far off from 1920x1080.

Top Bottom