• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Lets assume that reddit rumor is true: what is this vulkan thing, why is it important / why should I care as a gamer? I'm still not sure about the whole thing >.<

I am consistently amused by the people who are mad at Nintendo (a legitimate feeling) and, thus, are upset at their games.

It's the same place the "Mario 3D World isn't a real 3D Mario game" comes from and it's always funny. Don't stop, guys.

Neoxon

The other big disappointment was the lack of story/single player mode in Smash 4. Obviously it had been cut because of costs. At this point Smash is only a series for die hard fans. Lack of real tutorial or single player mode is a serious flaw and preventing new gamers from get into the series. Fatal for its first handheld appearing.
Or Sakurai & Bandai Namco decided to focus more on what actually matters, the mechanics & the characters. Notice how Smash 4 isn't completely shunned by the FGC like Brawl is. It's actually co-existing with Melee. Hell, Smash 4 as a whole sold pretty damn well (even my little cousins got the 3DS version & want it on their Wii U), so that somewhat negates your "preventing new gamers from getting into the series" comment.

z0m3le

Banned
That depends, how close can a device with an ARM architecture get to the PS4 or an Xbox One (I'm talking about the NX Console, obviously)?

A57 is about equal in performance with Jaguar processors, there is a good chance that they could use A72 processors instead which compete well with low power (non atom) Intel chips which should give you some indication that ARM can blow right past PS4, XB1. It really is up to Nintendo what performance they want the box to have though, PS4 is honestly disappointing from a performance perspective, all the speculation threads stated 3TFLOPs+ and even EPIC wanted multiple TFLOPs from this generation, they had to settle on 1.843 TFLOPs.

Considering 14nm AMD GPUs/CPUs come this year with drastic power saving over nvidia's 28nm offerings with similar performance, I think Nintendo could shoot for $299 with a 2TFLOPs+ console, HBM memory and 8 core AMD ARM CPUs that out perform what is in current gen, while still giving a reasonable portion of its budget to a gimmick.

I mainly think the above because both PS4 and XB1 are able to sell at $299 with dated hardware, Nintendo can use fewer shaders, clocked higher, to achieve greater performance, HBM is something AMD plans to use in APUs this year, which saves on board complexity. No disc drive (using game cards with higher capacity than 3DS media) would save on case/cooling designs, offer higher clocks for the GPU/CPU for greater performance. New GPU architecture from AMD adds higher performance per flop over PS4 as well...

I don't think it would be far fetched to see Nintendo go with 16CUs @ 1GHz = 2048 GFLOPs (PS4 has 20CUs with 2 disabled or 18CUs @ 800MHz = 1843 GFLOPs)

I'm more interested in the handheld to be honest, something with 4CUs @ 500MHz targeting 540p and a 4inch screen could perform closely to XB1 especially when you take into account the things you don't have to render on a 4 inch screen (such as draw distance, higher polygons, ect)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Or Sakurai & Bandai Namco decided to focus more on what actually matters, the mechanics & the characters. Notice how Smash 4 isn't completely shunned by the FGC like Brawl is. It's actually co-existing with Melee. Hell, Smash 4 as a whole sold pretty damn well (even my little cousins got the 3DS version & want it on their Wii U), so that somewhat negates your "preventing new gamers from getting into the series" comment.

Sakurai conceptually mentioned adding RPG elements which would have constituted a decent single player experience. That Smash World Tour move was just terrible. Terrible. But then again, I still can't validate Sakurai's merit as a pure game designer. I just don't get him.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here's some speculation..

Could the Supplemental Computing Device be used as a cheap way to get the console onto multiple TV sets within a home? Say, for $100 bucks you buy one of these things and hook it up to the HDTV in the man-cave, with the main console in the family room. You can then play two different games at the same time or have local network multiplayer without the limitation of split screens. In addition, these SCDs could finally realize the potential of interesting multiplayer with several Gamepads, instead of the solo experience had with Wii U.

...but looking closer at the patent diagram, I see there is no power-supply on the SCD, meaning its tethered to the NX console, so then hoe to get picture to second screen?. :\

Snakeyes

@Neoxon; IIRC, one of the main reasons why Sony didn't opt for an ARM architecture in the PS4 was because 64-bit chips were not a mature technology at the time. It kinda makes sense for Nintendo to be going all-in now that 64-bit ARM is widespread.

Neoxon

IIRC, one of the main reasons why Sony didn't opt for an ARM architecture in the PS4 was because 64-bit chips were not a mature technology at the time.
I guess it is now, judging by how common it is with recent smartphones. But wouldn't it make the NX Handheld a bit expensive?

Pokemaniac

The ARM builds only being 64-bit would make sense. 64-bit across console and handheld would be a pretty good position to be in, since it means that they don't have to worry about issues arising due to multiarch.

Wii U builds existing at all is interesting. I've speculated for a while that Nintendo might be working on some massive overhaul of the Wii U's OS, since the abnormal update schedule since mid-to-late 2014 has indicated that development on the Wii U OS was either moribund or something big was happening behind the scenes. I was beginning to favor the latter, but this, if true, is pretty big evidence of the former. The big question would be exactly how deeply the Wii U would get integrated into the NX platform, since NX software wouldn't be able to run on it without being ported.

The only really odd thing is the mention of an x86 build. Context suggests it may be an OS, but it seems much more likely to be a client of some sort for PC. Which definition of terminal he's using is also very significant, since there are multiple possible things he could be implying.

Overall, I'm not sure how trustworthy this guy really is. He seems like he could be legit, but there are a couple statements that seem a bit off, such as
(since I refused majority of the NDA agreement so I don't get as much info)

Neff

Account that on english not being my native language. In any case, the game deserved more care.

It had plenty of care, it just didn't have the content one might expect from a MP shooter.

Of course this was offset by the lower than usual price, and the fact that an abundance of content was released throughout the year, at no additional cost.

But yeah, in terms of polish, Splatoon is almost flawless. The only technical strike against it would be the netcode, which is erratic for some.

AniHawk

I am consistently amused by the people who are mad at Nintendo (a legitimate feeling) and, thus, are upset at their games.

It's the same place the "Mario 3D World isn't a real 3D Mario game" comes from and it's always funny. Don't stop, guys.

super mario 3d world isn't a real 3d mario game though. real 3d mario games have always been about running around in 3d space and overcoming platforming obstacles.

Pokemaniac

So if the Reddit guy is on the money, this is what we should expect from the NX devices? Would that even be possible on a handheld?

That video seems running on a device that appears to be essentially an x86-based Android microconsole. The NX console could obviously pack stronger chips. I'm not sure how the hardware goes for the handheld, since I don't know how that hardware relates to higher-end mobile hardware.

sinxtanx

Vulkan is cool because you write your shaders once and use them on all platforms simplifying development, and because Vulkan goes fast

javadoze

Has any info come out of that CES event yet?

super mario 3d world isn't a real 3d mario game though. real 3d mario games have always been about running around in 3d space and overcoming platforming obstacles.

It feels like there hasn't been a Mario game like that since Sunshine. 3D World really just continues the trend of 3D Marios have been following since the Galaxy games (with more focused, linear levels and less sprawling 3D playgrounds to explore).

Fandangox

It feels like there hasn't been a Mario game like that since Sunshine. 3D World really just continues the trend of 3D Marios have been following since the Galaxy games (with more focused, linear levels and less sprawling 3D playgrounds to explore).

The joke is that he described all 3d Mario games

Literally all of them.

Neoxon

The ARM builds only being 64-bit would make sense. 64-bit across console and handheld would be a pretty good position to be in, since it means that they don't have to worry about issues arising due to multiarch.

Wii U builds existing at all is interesting. I've speculated for a while that Nintendo might be working on some massive overhaul of the Wii U's OS, since the abnormal update schedule since mid-to-late 2014 has indicated that development on the Wii U OS was either moribund or something big was happening behind the scenes. I was beginning to favor the latter, but this, if true, is pretty big evidence of the former. The big question would be exactly how deeply the Wii U would get integrated into the NX platform, since NX software wouldn't be able to run on it without being ported.

The only really odd thing is the mention of an x86 build. Context suggests it may be an OS, but it seems much more likely to be a client of some sort for PC. Which definition of terminal he's using is also very significant, since there are multiple possible things he could be implying.

Overall, I'm not sure how trustworthy this guy really is. He seems like he could be legit, but there are a couple statements that seem a bit off, such as
Wouldn't that be where the SCD could come in? It could retroactively make the Wii U able to play NX games for a lower price tag (assuming it includes, say, a cartridge slot for NX games).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Xenoblade is a good series, but I doubt it's writing and characters you meet are as memorable as seen in Mass effect series.

You doubt wrong, the entire Xeno series has has some really good characters and complex motivations. Besides, remember the ending to Mass Effect 3? That's pretty memorable about Mass Effect too, just not in a good way.

Seriously, give the series a shot with an open mind and you'll be shocked how deep they go. Not surprising coming from a core with some ex-Square employees, but maybe surprising for a first-party studio if you just know them as that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So if the Reddit guy is on the money, this is what we should expect from the NX devices? Would that even be possible on a handheld?

I expect @Shield Portable GPU power with more advanced feature set in power for the handheld with lower CPU grunt. Not quite a portable Wii U but much closer to it than the Vita was to the Ps3.

My expectation for the console (or portable while docked or whatever) is somewhere between the XBOne and the Ps4 but with some strong points over both, such as a stronger CPU (at least in single threaded performance) and a separated Chip to handle the OS and security instead of utilizing a full core.

I've compiled some more comments made by the Reddit 'leaker' from over a week ago. If this all ends up to be an elaborate troll, he certainly has mastered his art.

My task is to rip it to shreds and run homebrew. I then report the method to run the homebrew. There's little English documentation but enough to get me going around.
In just the web browser I've discovered 3 ways of running homebrew over the past 24 hours. I'm taking a break for now but anyway; from what I can tell just looking through the uncompiled codebase; this is a stream-to unit with basic on-device functionality. The OS is large, FreeBSD based. It makes heavy use of polymer-project all over the place and has the required drivers for Google Fi. Of which there's one way of installing homebrew through.
It could be coming 2016 Jan. It could be coming late 2016. All I know is that it won't launch unless every single error is stamped out.
I don't know what it will be; nor how it'll come to be; but I do know that over forty million US dollars have been put to day-zero preorders by customers. And the OS is just being bug tested with nobody to know what the name is. All I've found is "Project NX (NNF)" at best.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/...x_new_console_as_powerful_as_xbox_one/cya619j

Fuckloads. What else I've found since downloading and decompiling the compiled package:
The WebGL implementation is using Vulkan, so that may mean they can sell fully cross platform browser games if they wish. No direct support for Flash, but an LPRE or RCLK (two user input types) will give the option to translate it to JS+Canvas ("remake as HTML5").
It's based heavily off of WebKit and going to browser://flags basically mirrors the android chrome about:flags page. browser://reload currently has a vulnerability that allows homebrew loading and the UI has a lot of polymer-project paper and neon elements. There's a new CSS position property (position: -nintendo-pointer;) which maps to the pointer it seems.

https://np.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3y0k6n/playstation_fans_being_hypocritical/cy9yufq

Odd - I only recently got access to my first segment of the OS (web browser). If this thing launches in early 2016; we can expect a lot of day-zero homebrew. Plus the segment I have is compiled for ARM, not x86 or x86_64.
So either we're gonna have ARM Nintendo consoles or we're gonna have another segmented generation. Which will be a pain.
EDIT: The WebGL implementation is using native Vulkan. Which would explain the demos running like crap at the time.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/...x_new_console_as_powerful_as_xbox_one/cy9l02v

Essentially trying to make it harder to pirate games than on the 3DS. I think.
Also making it quite useless in my own opinion once the servers go down but still. The payment is rather nice for the moment at least.
We're basically just a large set of people who know how to get through any DRM. Or rather rip the DRM out and use it freely.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/...x_new_console_as_powerful_as_xbox_one/cya8239

Anth0ny

after the last hype cycle I don't even care anymore. just make good nintendo games and I'll be happy. fuck third party support, fuck good graphics, fuck good online infrastructure. this thing is probably going to bomb as a result, but whatever.

i just want good games and gamecube controller support. thanks nintendo.

Pokemaniac

Wouldn't that be where the SCD could come in? It could retroactively make the Wii U able to play NX games for a lower price tag (assuming it includes, say, a cartridge slot for NX games).

Potentially. Really depends on how Nintendo wants to handle it.

GamerJM

Banned
What happen to Cboat he cant leak us nothing?

He's MS anyways

Wait, is this comment alluding to the platform having online-only DRM?

This would literally be the absolute worst case scenario. There would be riots if this happened. The worst part is....I'd still probably buy the damn thing. Nintendo is the only company I'd continue to support if they implemented that.

Pokemaniac

Any leaker that tells you what their job is so they're easily identifiable is fake.

Yeah, this is a good point. Combined with some of the things he's said, I'm leaning towards fake on this. He's said some really odd things. One of his posts mentions something about a "Material Design engine". If only Material Design was actually that easy to implement.

Lets assume that reddit rumor is true: what is this vulkan thing, why is it important / why should I care as a gamer? I'm still not sure about the whole thing >.<

You should be excited for Vulkan because it's basically DirectX12 performance without all the Microsoft.....also it will be able to run on any device, mobile or console.

Sandfox

He's MS anyways

Wait, is this comment alluding to the platform having online-only DRM?

This would literally be the absolute worst case scenario. There would be riots if this happened. The worst part is....I'd still probably buy the damn thing. Nintendo is the only company I'd continue to support if they implemented that.

I'm pretty sure that's a comment on what a lack of hacking/piracy would do in the long term.

Vena

Yeah, this is a good point. Combined with some of the things he's said, I'm leaning towards fake on this. He's said some really odd things. One of his posts mentions something about a "Material Design engine". If only Material Design was actually that easy to implement.

If so, he's a little too dedicated/precise of a faker with the stuff he's putting out, haha.

finalflame

Reddit "Leaker" is spewing a ton of total bull which he makes to sound appropriately technical to fool people who don't know any better. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

People discussed this earlier if Nintendo would have enough titles for a new console launch. Here is a rough estimate as to what their teams are working on (I used group manager names and what projects they handle since all of the groups have now been suspended):

Konno (Mario Kart and Nintendogs)- last released MK8 in Spring 2014. The team has released a new Mario Kart every 2-3 years since Super Circuit released on the GBA. So MK9 will probably be done by 2017. Idk if the Nintendogs team will do something else or develop another Nintendogs.

Nogami (Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Nintendoland, Wii Sports)- just released Splatoon, Happy Home Designer, and Amiibo Festival so I'm not sure how soon we can expect a new AC or Splatoon. The Nintendoland/Wii Sports team always has some sort of title for launch.

Aonuma (Zelda)- developing Zelda Wii U and just released Triforce Heroes.

Kimura (NSMB, MM, Pikmin)-
We know they are developing Pikmin 4. They Just released MM and I anticipate that NX will get a newer version of MM, with more content and options, relatively early in its life cycle.

Sugiyama (Wii Fit, Steel Diver)- anyone's guess what they are working on but they tend to release titles early in the system's life cycle and hasn't released anything in a long time.

EAD Tokyo (3D Mario)- They've completed a new 3D Mario every 2-3 years. It will be 3 years since SM3DW in late 2016 and 2 years since Captain Toad but the latter wasn't using the full team anyway.

Sakurai(Smash)- Releasing the last bit of DLC for Smash 4. Hinted that he has decided on his next project. I personally wouldn't be surprised if he rushed a remaster Smash 4 in 2017 with the DLC plus some new characters and stages as well as more fleshed out single player features. That way he won't have to worry about Smash for NX and hopefully by then they can find someone else to develop/direct the smash games.

Sakamoto(Wario Ware, Game & Wario, Friend Collection, Rhythm Heaven)- just released Rhythm Heaven plus this year. I could see them trying to get Friend collection out early. I don't know what the WW team will work on since that series has really lost its appeal.

Intelligent Systems- Just released Fates and is still yet to release in the west. They also released Code Bomba. They haven't released a Paper Mario since 2012 so we could see another one by 2017. Although Nintendo hasn't been on too hot of a streak with their Mario RPGs.

Gamefreak- I'm guessing they are releasing Pokémon Z or whatever they call it on 3DS. Based on actions in the past they will release new pokemon titles past the system's prime instead of porting it to the next handheld. Instead they'd rather build an entire new engine for the new system and then milk it out with remakes and third versions.

Retro Studios (Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns)- they've finished a title every three years since MP2. It'll be 3 years at the end of 2016.

Next Level Games (Super Mario Strikers, Punch out wii, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon)- Working on the highly anticipated Metroid Prime Hunters: Federation Force.

Monster games (Excite truck, Excite bots, Pilot Wings, DKCR 3D)- Not sure what they will work on next.

Siphorus

Reddit "Leaker" is spewing a ton of total bull which he makes to sound appropriately technical to fool people who don't know any better. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

I'm in the same boat, his post history is mainly just HTML stuff, not much related to programming or hacking.

FZZ

Banned
Really wish cboat leaked Nintendo news

or at least Nintendo had an inside leaker on the level of cboat

Pokemaniac

If so, he's a little too dedicated/precise of a faker with the stuff he's putting out, haha.

There's a bunch of smaller things wrong with it. It looks fine at first glance, but the more I think about it the more fake it's sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom