• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

If Nintendo doesn't get the big western third parties on board, they aren't going to sell consoles. Period.

I am certain that if Nintendo releases yet another underpowered first party box with a gimmick the NX will be a failure. The appeal is just NOT there for the masses, no matter how great their games are.

Too bad Nintendo doesn't see it that way. The Wii gave them a taste of unprecedented success while completely disregarding industry trends, so they'll try their hardest to repeat this feat, no matter how unlikely it may be.

I am certain that if Nintendo releases yet another underpowered first party box with a gimmick the NX will be a failure. The appeal is just NOT there for the masses, no matter how great their games are.

I think this is probably correct and that many overestimate the ability of Mario, Zelda, etc. to drive hardware sales, especially in the current market.

But given their abysmal relations with Western third parties and their total lack of any first-party IP with significant appeal to the 17-35 Western male demographic that said third parties are overwhelmingly focused on, I don't see any plausible scenario in which NX gets much traction with that audience. Unless Nintendo has been making massive investments in Western development to that end for the past few years and has somehow kept this completely secret, which I doubt.

Anth0ny

Too bad Nintendo doesn't see it that way. The Wii gave them a taste of unprecedented success while completely disregarding industry trends, so they'll try their hardest to repeat this feat, no matter how unlikely it may be.

Exactly! I wonder how many failures they'll need to endure before they stop chasing the Wii dream. In this age of mobile games, there will never be another Wii.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
And this thread is massively off topic. We're shutting down again until there's new news. No, this isn't an invitation to bump a similar thread to continue in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom