• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

I'm still not sold with the whole console/handheld schematic. Do you think it's a good idea to force developers to make two different versions of the same game?

you're totally missing the point. they would make the NX a console and a handheld so that they wouldn't have to make two versions of whatever game. Instead of making Mario Kart 9 for the portable and Mario Kart 10 for the console, they could just make Mario Kart NX.
it just gives the consumer a choice. plus it gives us pokemon on a console finally.

Anth0ny

A small form factor and low wattage are nothing to be scoffed at in their own right. Every console should strive for this.

It's when it's at the expense of hardware capability that it can become a problem.

exactly. and that's always the case.

no one cares about small form factor when you can increase the size and increase the power. or increase the size and lower the price. if they want, release a small form factor "slim" model halfway through the generation.

Oregano

I'm still not sold with the whole console/handheld schematic. Do you think it's a good idea to force developers to make two different versions of the same game? If you're expecting a platform with similar power to a ps4, then it's going to take some work in porting over big-budget games to a portable device which would be much weaker than a ps4. It would only work if the console and handheld are very similar in power, meaning a console weaker than an Xbox One.

I believe that, although Nintendo might set their tools so that they could easily share assets between the two platforms, I still expect them to be two different platforms. There might be a lot of software that is cross-buy (since we already see it happening with mario vs. Dk and Smash dlc), I still expect each platform to have its own exclusives, like Pokemon on the handheld and an open-world Zelda on the console.

Just to give a quick and easy parallel: Developers don't have to develop seperate apps for the iPhone and iPad and there can be iPad-exclusive apps.

That's what Nintendo's trying to be like.

you're totally missing the point. they would make the NX a console and a handheld so that they wouldn't have to make two versions of whatever game. Instead of making Mario Kart 9 for the portable and Mario Kart 10 for the console, they could just make Mario Kart NX.
it just gives the consumer a choice. plus it gives us pokemon on a console finally.

The issue that I'm bringing up is that if that's the case, then expect the console to be much weaker than what you expect it to be. If you expect to be playing AAA third party games on a handheld that's coming out later this year, then I think you're crazy. Handheld tech is in no way comparable to PS4 specs at the moment and if NX is a single platform, then the console might be weaker than you expect. Otherwise devs would need to do work in getting AAA games to work on a handheld.

Ragona

The issue that I'm bringing up is that if that's the case, then expect the console to be much weaker than what you expect it to be. If you expect to be playing AAA third party games on a handheld that's coming out later this year, then I think you're crazy. Handheld tech is in no way comparable to PS4 specs at the moment and if NX is a single platform, then the console might be weaker than you expect. Otherwise devs would need to do work in getting AAA games to work on a handheld.
I think it just means that games created for the handheld would work on the console aswell (being made for the lower hardware specs), whereas the more hardware intense games would stay exclusive to the home console.

Vena

Why would console games need to work on the handheld variant? You're kind of missing the point here. Games developed for the handheld would be easy to run (rendered up, running higher fidelity texture packs) on a console and have the advantage themselves of being mobile. The console can run consoles games and handheld games but isn't mobile.

You can make iPad games that can't run on phones.

The_Lump

Banned
exactly. and that's always the case.

no one cares about small form factor when you can increase the size and increase the power.or increase the size and lower the price. if they want, release a small form factor "slim" model halfway through the generation.

Tell it to Apple ;)

OK OK, I know Nintendo are not Apple - but they should still strive for the most efficient design in all areas.

I get your wider point though: I'd rather a 2TFlop PS4 sized console than a 1TFlop Wii sized console, for instance* (to use a crude example)

I'll settle for the 800 Flop WiiU sized mess that we'll end up with 😂

Will the handheld part carry the GPU? So it plays all games the same when on the go. Plug the handheld into the home console will be like plugging in a graphics card.

The_Lump

Banned
Just to give a quick and easy parallel: Developers don't have to develop seperate apps for the iPhone and iPad and there can be iPad-exclusive apps.

That's what Nintendo's trying to be like.

Quoted for truth. This is the point I was trying to make, thank-you. Perfect analogy.

there will probably be a central driving force for what the input on nx is (expecting touch controls and motion controls since they're basically an industry standard), but multiple form factors to reach as wide an audience as possible. nintendo's said in the past they sell hardware to sell software.

Oh I'm thinking of that as well. The thing that's confusing me is people assuming Nintendo's talk of "shared engines, infrastructures etc" means we're going to see the exact same 1st/2nd party games across all of those devices. Because if that's going to be the case, by its very nature those games can't meaningfully take advantage of the different controls those devices have, and it means those games are going to have to be designed in a more universal (i.e generic) factor to accommodate the wide range of devices.

Picture a multiplat like Madden or COD as a good example of this; COD in particular is hardly known as the most unique FPS out there b/c it has to water down a lot of things in order to appeal to the largest possible audience, which is an inevitable aim in getting a game out on as many devices as possible. That worry doesn't suddenly go away b/c we'd be talking about Nintendo games spread out among all of their new devices :/

Why would console games need to work on the handheld variant? You're kind of missing the point here. Games developed for the handheld would be easy to run (rendered up, running higher fidelity texture packs) on a console and have the advantage themselves of being mobile. The console can run consoles games and handheld games but isn't mobile.

You can make iPad games that can't run on phones.

In that case, how many developers do you expect to support the handheld or exclusively the console? Wouldn't there need to be work done in order to accommodate the features of both the handheld and console unless you guys expect the NX to be a traditional console without any special features.

Oregano

In that case, how many developers do you expect to support the handheld or exclusively the console? Wouldn't there need to be work done in order to accommodate the features of both the handheld and console unless you guys expect the NX to be a traditional console without any special features.

Oh I'm thinking of that as well. The thing that's confusing me is people assuming Nintendo's talk of "shared engines, infrastructures etc" means we're going to see the exact same 1st/2nd party games across all of those devices. Because if that's going to be the case, by its very nature those games can't meaningfully take advantage of the different controls those devices have, and it means those games are going to have to be designed in a more universal (i.e generic) factor to accommodate the wide range of devices.

Picture a multiplat like Madden or COD as a good example of this; COD in particular is hardly known as the most unique FPS out there b/c it has to water down a lot of things in order to appeal to the largest possible audience, which is an inevitable aim in getting a game out on as many devices as possible. That worry doesn't suddenly go away b/c we'd be talking about Nintendo games spread out among all of their new devices :/

Well if you guys look at the N3DS and Wii U with the exception of clicky sticks they have the exact same amount of inputs. D-pad, two stick, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, single-touch screen, gyrometer, mic, NFC, camera.

Terrell

I think the Wii U provides us with a roadmap towards the future with Nintendo:

- 2 hardware devices with 2 available displays
- similar to the same amount of controls, which can be made to have even greater parity
- extra control options for the home console environment but with few to no games making them mandatory (seriously, I can only name Nintendo Land and Wii Fit U as Wii U games you couldn't port to a handheld)

So no, whatever new thing Nintendo brings to the table would be something that works beyond the home environment and thus continue to provide this sort of near-parity in experience.

EDIT: DAMMIT OREGANO

Banned
I'm betting the only ones who'll make games compatible for both the handheld and console will be Nintendo published games. Third parties will either make a game for the handheld or make it for the console.

Unless development between the two is so simple it becomes close to just lowering the resolution in half (1080p to 540p) and settings from high to low.

sinxtanx

I'm betting the only ones who'll make games compatible for both the handheld and console will be Nintendo published games. Third parties will either make a game for the handheld or make it for the console.

Unless development between the two is so simple it becomes close to just lowering the resolution in half (1080p to 540p) and settings from high to low.

that is the point, as stated by Iwata about a year ago

I don't like the idea of having the sames games coming out for the console and portable devices. What I like about handheld is the unique experience of playing games designed exclusively with its characteristics in mind. I want to play console games on consoles not on handhelds, that's why I have a big TV to sit down and enjoy it. When I am on the go I want a difference experience not just replay what I already have on my console....just my opinion

grim-tales

I would be very surprised if Wii U BC beyond Wii U's VC titles comes to NX. Most first party NX games are at least sort of built around the player having access to the GamePad, and I would be very surprised if NX has a controller with a screen or at least one similar to the GamePad. Nintendo has never been in favor of functionally limited backwards compatibility so if there is no GamePad inwould be very surprised if there is BC. If there is a GamePad, at least one similar to the current one, I'd be concerned that the system will be too similar to the Wii U. I do expect we will be able to use the handheld as a controller for the console but I don't think that userbase of people who own both alone would be enough to justify BC, and I'm not sure how doable BC would even be with a non-PowerPC architecture.

I was thinking mostly about Gamecube BC I guess as I still have my Wii, and some original GC titles I loved (eg Ikaruga, Paper Mario: TTYD), and I dont want to sacrifice those when NX comes along, AFAICS Wii emulates the GC discs fine,

Vena

That's actually a quarter of the resolution. (Just random tidbit. 720p is half of 1080p in standard aspect ratios.)

Neoxon

I'm still not sold with the whole console/handheld schematic. Do you think it's a good idea to force developers to make two different versions of the same game? If you're expecting a platform with similar power to a ps4, then it's going to take some work in porting over big-budget games to a portable device which would be much weaker than a ps4. It would only work if the console and handheld are very similar in power, meaning a console weaker than an Xbox One.

I believe that, although Nintendo might set their tools so that they could easily share assets between the two platforms, I still expect them to be two different platforms. There might be a lot of software that is cross-buy (since we already see it happening with mario vs. Dk and Smash dlc), I still expect each platform to have its own exclusives, like Pokemon on the handheld and an open-world Zelda on the console.
That's not the point. The point is to have just one game that can scale to whatever NX device is being used to play the game. You'd get a basic 540p version of the game when you insert a cartridge in a NX Handheld, but you get a 1080p version with all of the extra graphical goodies when played on the NX Console. And again, Nintendo's no longer in a position where they can support separate platforms on their own. The Wii U & the 3DS made that pretty damn clear. This would also open up Nintendo to add more variety in their line-up. So rather than 2 Mario Karts or 2 Smash 5's, you'd have one of each with room being opened up for other games that Nintendo could make that could help bring more diversity to their library of games.

KAL2006

Banned
Expecting NX to be as powerful as PS4 is pointless. Yes there will be some 3rd party support if that happened. I personally think it would be GameCube level support from 3rd parties which isn't too bad to be fair. But here is the thing. What is exactly the point getting these multi platform games. The PS4 has become a behemoth. Everyone will be playing FIFA, COD, Assassins Creed, Fallout and etc on the PS4, PC or Xbox One. As a consumer I'd want to play where all my friends are and these multi platform games wouldn't benefit me all I would continue buying my multiple platform games on PS4 and buy Nintendo exclusives anyway.

The other thing is the majority of Nintendo's games have a good art style and don't really make use of horse power. Mario Galaxy looks gorgeous emulated on a PC that's enough. We don't need Mario to push some high end graphics.

I think Nintendo should continue to do its own thing and the only way they can compete is undercut the PS4 and go for lower powered console with a huge diverse first party games library. Just as long as the system is more powerful than Wii U they should be fine. The idea of having handheld and console games combined on to one platform is genius. Nintendo can use their successful handheld portfolio of developers to leverage their dying console presence. Monster Hunter, Pokemon and etc to be releasing on Console is a huge deal and a bonus vice versa.

Neoxon

That's the idea.

Only your opinion, many others, including myself, had sustained fun for months before the Wii U release, thanks to those threads, teases, speculations, etc. This is how it's done since the 80s, baby, you should have seen the endless speculation about the "Project Reality" then "Ultra 64", with several years of fantasies before concrete info. This is better than the actual launch for many of us, deal with it.

What? So...we've had speculation threads "Since the 80s"? I know that's not what you meant but that line just sounds silly and didn't make any sense.

And no, reveling in endless "leak" teases on a web forum for cheap notoriety is not more fun than actually playing a new console, that's just pathetic. This is why a lot people don't take you seriously like they do with the real insiders that happen to be here on the forum, hype and getting attention is more important to you than actual discussion and dispensing info in a coherent way.

KAL2006

Banned
If thats the case, assuming a handheld is a reasonable size thing, how does that work? You buy one disc that works on both systems? Or two different discs, or just digital?

1 cartridge or digital

No disc drive for console would keep the console price low.

If the NX was to be slightly more powerful than a Wii U and NVIDIA Shield TV using ARM architecture I can see the system launching cheaper than a PS4 this fall.

If that were to happen I'd be there day 1 and buy a NX as my secondary console for all that Mario, Zelda and Pokemon goodness. Saves me having to buy a Wii U and 3DS this gen and just buy 1 cheap NX Console.

Oregano

I've speculated about it before but Nintendo might have a solution to making an (online) handheld capable of playing console games. It's all in how they decide to leverage the SCD idea.

So just hypothetically speaking lets say Nintendo sells three pieces of hardware as the NX ecosystem: A handheld, a console and a standalone SCD. Additionally keep in mind that Nintendo wants account-based relationships.

Now lets say I buy the handheld and an SCD and load up the NX-store. On there I see Assassin's Creed Egypt and purchase it on my Nintendo Account. Obviously my handheld can't run the game natively but luckily there was a note on the page; "SCD connection required to play on NX-handheld". So by wirelessly connecting to my SCD I can play the game at home. That all works well.

That's all pretty simple, it's not that different than the Wii U's off-TV play. Well now I want to travel but I want to continue playing Assassin's Creed. Well maybe I can connect over the internet like with Vita remote play? Turns out I can!

If I had to connect my SCD back home latency might be an issue depending how far away I am. Luckily my NX-handheld can dynamically send data to the closest available publicly available SCDs minimising latency. But why would people make their SCDs publicly available?

Well turns out if you make your SCD publicly available you earn points on your Nintendo account which can be used to buy games and/or DLC. Pretty Nifty!

Unfortunately whilst I was travelling my SCD had a hardware failure. That means I can't play Assassin's Creed any more! Oh well, I was considering buying the NX-console anyway because I'd like to play them on the big screen.

That means my handheld can only play Assassin's Creed when it's online right? Well actually no because my console can act as an SCD.

Now that's a purely hypothetical situation I made up on the spot. Nintendo's SCD idea might not really work like that and in that scenario I could see some brand confusion. But that'd solidify a hardware agnostic approach and more importantly a hook like that might be enticing to third parties; especially Japanese ones like Square Enix who would probably jump at the chance to publish high-end FF games on a handheld in Japan.

Kimawolf

I've speculated about it before but Nintendo might have a solution to making an (online) handheld capable of playing console games. It's all in how they decide to leverage the SCD idea.

So just hypothetically speaking lets say Nintendo sells three pieces of hardware as the NX ecosystem: A handheld, a console and a standalone SCD. Additionally keep in mind that Nintendo wants account-based relationships.

Now lets say I buy the handheld and an SCD and load up the NX-store. On there I see Assassin's Creed Egypt and purchase it on my Nintendo Account. Obviously my handheld can't run the game natively but luckily there was a note on the page; "SCD connection required to play on NX-handheld". So by wirelessly connecting to my SCD I can play the game at home. That all works well.

That's all pretty simple, it's not that different than the Wii U's off-TV play. Well now I want to travel but I want to continue playing Assassin's Creed. Well maybe I can connect over the internet like with Vita remote play? Turns out I can!

If I had to connect my SCD back home latency might be an issue depending how far away I am. Luckily my NX-handheld can dynamically send data to the closest available publicly available SCDs minimising latency. But why would people make their SCDs publicly available?

Well turns out if you make your SCD publicly available you earn points on your Nintendo account which can be used to buy games and/or DLC. Pretty Nifty!

Unfortunately whilst I was travelling my SCD had a hardware failure. That means I can't play Assassin's Creed any more! Oh well, I was considering buying the NX-console anyway because I'd like to play them on the big screen.

That means my handheld can only play Assassin's Creed when it's online right? Well actually no because my console can act as an SCD.

Now that's a purely hypothetical situation I made up on the spot. Nintendo's SCD idea might not really work like that and in that scenario I could see some brand confusion. But that'd solidify a hardware agnostic approach and more importantly a hook like that might be enticing to third parties; especially Japanese ones like Square Enix who would probably jump at the chance to publish high-end FF games on a handheld in Japan.

This is actually exactly how i see it working out. The SCDs are the key to it all if that patent is to be believed. and would definitely line up with the "omg industry leading chips" rumors as well as the "its a 540p screen" info and the info the one guy gave where he said he sawing something good but not great.

KAL2006

Banned
One high-capacity cartridge, basically.

Cartridge size can be same as 3DS so we can get full 3DS and DS backwards compatability. NX console controller can have a small touchscreen the size of 3DS bottom screen where the Touchpad is on a PS4 controller. NX handheld can use the standard clamshell dual screen design we all know and love.

Majority of games can be 8GB and 16GB games

32GB for the big games like Zelda

And sometime in the future they can have the odd 64GB game

tronic307

I don't like the idea of having the sames games coming out for the console and portable devices. What I like about handheld is the unique experience of playing games designed exclusively with its characteristics in mind. I want to play console games on consoles not on handhelds, that's why I have a big TV to sit down and enjoy it. When I am on the go I want a difference experience not just replay what I already have on my console....just my opinion
The games don't have to be 100% the same; we could get a different version of game depending on the system that runs it, just like games with N3DS-specific features. Same codebase, but the visuals, paths and scenarios would be tailored to each system, even from the same cartridge. You'd have to have both form factors for the full experience. I don't think they'll be as cheap as 3DS carts, though.

Neoxon

Cartridge size can be same as 3DS so we can get full 3DS and DS backwards compatability. NX console controller can have a small touchscreen the size of 3DS bottom screen where the Touchpad is on a PS4 controller. NX handheld can use the standard clamshell dual screen design we all know and love.

Majority of games can be 8GB and 16GB games

32GB for the big games like Zelda

And sometime in the future they can have the odd 64GB game
I'm not too sure if they'll do dual screens, mainly for the sake of control parity with the NX Console. The way I'm seeing it is that the NX Handheld could have one big free-form screen, which is emulated with the NX Console's controller (albeit with handles on the NX Console controller's version).

Oregano

This is actually exactly how i see it working out. The SCDs are the key to it all if that patent is to be believed. and would definitely line up with the "omg industry leading chips" rumors as well as the "its a 540p screen" info and the info the one guy gave where he said he sawing something good but not great.

Now obviously I haven't thought it all the way through. Storage would be a concern because based on the SCD-patent the assets would be stored on the device itself and modern games are absolutely mammoth. I also didn't consider physical media in my hypothetical.

I guess an easy way would be for textures to only be 1/4 of full size on the cart(or when downloaded to the handheld). It'd save a lot of space and wouldn't be too noticeable on a screen that's 1/4 of the normal res.

Of course I'm not a hardware/software/network engineer and I'm just spitballing.

openrob

NX console controller can have a small touchscreen the size of 3DS bottom screen where the Touchpad is on a PS4 controller. .

If that will be the case, do you think that the next gen will standardise having a touch pad on the controller. So far it seems PS4 could let go if it if it wanted, and Wii U is largely irrelevant

Neoxon

If that will be the case, do you think that the next gen will standardise having a touch pad on the controller. So far it seems PS4 could let go if it if it wanted, and Wii U is largely irrelevant
If the NX Handheld has a single big touch screen, maybe.

KAL2006

Banned

There is nothing unique about playing on handhelds in comparison to a console. I can easily imagine a Monster Hunter or Pokemon working well on a console. And vice versa, a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze can work on a handheld. Zelda Majoras Mask and Star Fox 64 were originally console games and there ports work well on handheld. We can also have the quick pick up and play games habdheld have on Console especially with sleep mode feature that next gen consoles have nowadays. And if you feel a game just would work on a handheld you can simply not buy it and continue to buy a game like Pokemon and play the game on NX Handheld. This is the advantage of cross platform it's flexible to the user, play on handheld have a wide variety of games some deep some pick up and play, play on the big screen play on the handheld on the go. This flexibility is the advantage here.

he sawing something good but not great.

Context for this - He saw something good, but not great?

There is nothing unique about playing on handhelds in comparison to a console. I can easily imagine a Monster Hunter or Pokemon working well on a console. And vice versa, a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze can work on a handheld. Zelda Majoras Mask and Star Fox 64 were originally console games and there ports work well on handheld. We can also have the quick pick up and play games habdheld have on Console especially with sleep mode feature that next gen consoles have nowadays. And if you feel a game just would work on a handheld you can simply not buy it and continue to buy a game like Pokemon and play the game on NX Handheld. This is the advantage of cross platform it's flexible to the user, play on handheld have a wide variety of games some deep some pick up and play, play on the big screen play on the handheld on the go. This flexibility is the advantage here.

I also agree with this. I'd argue that the majority of the 3DS' top games could easily be console games and you'd get the same experience. The only ones that may change slightly are Pokemon and Monster Hunter, but even those would work just fine. Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, Shin Megami Tensei etc. To this day I do not buy the '3DS' library takes advantage of the system being a handheld'. Most of them don't, and would translate easily to console. Hell most of the best games on the system are franchises that originated on console in pretty much the same form they are on 3DS.

Neoxon

There is nothing unique about playing on handhelds in comparison to a console. I can easily imagine a Monster Hunter or Pokemon working well on a console. And vice versa, a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze can work on a handheld. Zelda Majoras Mask and Star Fox 64 were originally console games and there ports work well on handheld. We can also have the quick pick up and play games handhelds have on Console especially with sleep mode feature that next gen consoles have nowadays. And if you feel a game just would work on a handheld you can simply not buy it and continue to buy a game like Pokemon and play the game on NX Handheld. This is the advantage of cross platform it's flexible to the user, play on handheld have a wide variety of games some deep some pick up and play, play on the big screen play on the handheld on the go. This flexibility is the advantage here.
And Nintendo doesn't have to spread their development teams too thin. As for those portable experiences, the main reason why the mainline Pokémon games have yet to make the jump is because of Game Freak insisting that Pokémon can only work on handhelds. If the shared platform thing pans out, we can test that theory.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not too sure if they'll do dual screens, mainly for the sake of control parity with the NX Console. The way I'm seeing it is that the NX Handheld could have one big free-form screen, which is emulated with the NX Console's controller (albeit with handles on the NX Console controller's version).

Why not. Dual Screens will make alot of 3DS owners happy to have all their games comparative. Especially with late games support with games like Pokemon Z which is likely going to happen. Big free form screen is expensive. It's better for them to go cheap. And again the NX Controller can have a cheap small bottom 3DS touchscreen in the middle for parity. This gives NX Console a unique feature from other systems as well as Nintendo being to implement some things they had with Wii U without compromising the controller and making it too bug like the Wii U Pad. The other advantage is it would be the first time we get full 3DS and 2DS support on a home console, perhaps games can be emulated in higher resolution. This would give the NX Console some bonus points and another advantage.

Neoxon

Why not. Dual Screens will make alot of 3DS owners happy to have all their games comparative. Especially with late games support with games like Pokemon Z which is likely going to happen. Big free form screen is expensive. It's better for them to go cheap. And again the NX Controller can have a cheap small bottom 3DS touchscreen in the middle for parity. This gives NX Console a unique feature from other systems as well as Nintendo being to implement some things they had with Wii U without compromising the controller and making it too bug like the Wii U Pad. The other advantage is it would be the first time we get full 3DS and 2DS support on a home console, perhaps games can be emulated in higher resolution. This would give the NX Console some bonus points and another advantage.
The screen would still be a tad bit too small for games like Super Mario Maker & Splatoon to work like they did on the Wii U. And even then, what about the recessive screen. Wouldn't Nintendo go for capacitive this time around since it would open up more gameplay possibilities? That being said, I do see your point on the benefit of 3DS BC & not throwing potential late releases like Pokémon Z under the bus. But even then, unless Nintendo releases an add-on for Wii U BC, we're probably gonna lose BC in some capacity anyway.

Well if you guys look at the N3DS and Wii U with the exception of clicky sticks they have the exact same amount of inputs. D-pad, two stick, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, single-touch screen, gyrometer, mic, NFC, camera.

I think the Wii U provides us with a roadmap towards the future with Nintendo:

- 2 hardware devices with 2 available displays
- similar to the same amount of controls, which can be made to have even greater parity
- extra control options for the home console environment but with few to no games making them mandatory (seriously, I can only name Nintendo Land and Wii Fit U as Wii U games you couldn't port to a handheld)

So no, whatever new thing Nintendo brings to the table would be something that works beyond the home environment and thus continue to provide this sort of near-parity in experience.

EDIT: DAMMIT OREGANO
Lol indeed.

But on topic, I'd like to clarify where my POV is coming from. I'm glad you broke down how much the devices technically do have in common, but where I worry is the practicality in this shared library approach, if it means the games are going to be exactly the same minus resolution differences. If Nintendo's motto is "the hardware drives the software", then why make two or more pieces of hardware that are virtually the same, and yet expect and have players expect unique software for each version of that hardware?

That was the appealing part about pairings like the SNES/GB, GBA/GC, and DS/Wii; yeah they had the expected similarities but enough differences, technical and otherwise, to drive the need for unique games for those platforms specifically tailored to them. That's probably the biggest reason why Nintendo's been able to justify supporting two platforms per gen. Now, I'm aware how other factors made it easier back then vs. now; game tech was more exotic, and costs were cheaper. There was also less competition from other markets, i.e smartphones and tablets didn't exist. And Nintendo as a whole was in a stronger position in those days, especially w/ DS and Wii.

But I consider those incidental factors, b/c there are still many factors that were deliberately formed as a result of those hardware differences, such as not being able to share engines and assets, that resulted in the unique 1st/2nd party software libraries between their consoles and handhelds of the past few gens. It may've made for difficulties at times (software drought, costs eventually I'm sure), but it also made sure each device had its own unique library worth getting them for.

This is interesting, b/c if people say exclusives don't sell Sony or Microsoft systems, the exact opposite is true of Nintendo devices. They mostly sell on their exclusives. People don't tend to give a shit about 3rd parties on Nintendo and haven't seem to since the Gamecube era, and arguably going back to N64 in some ways as well. So if people just come to accept that Nintendo's own games for the NX family are going to be the exact same across all devices, minus some token features thrown in that may make gimmicky use of one or two features exclusive to that device (and the aforementioned resolution), that's going to give a lot of people less reason to bother getting both or all of the devices, especially if 3rd party support ends up being questionable.

Which is why I honestly think Nintendo means w/ the whole "shared architecture" stuff, is that the devices may share some common engineering features and provide similar programming environments, but the "shared" things will come down to stuff like sound files, graphic files, base code, engine assets etc. I don't think (or feel it'd be a good idea) we'll see Mario Galaxy 3 on both NX console and NX handheld; if it comes down to that, there's no reason to force people to buy it twice. Just let them plug the card-cart or what-have-you into the console and handheld, since aside from resolution it'd be more or less the exact same game, right?

Shared game library. Sounds like a decent idea on paper but it lowers need for getting each particular device in the family in the long run. Hopefully Nintendo can find a balance there. I know why the idea sounds good, but it doesn't lend itself well in being practical, knowing what role exclusive software can have for spurring sales, especially true for Nintendo. It's something to especially consider in the West, where handhelds struggle against smartphones and tablets.

If the library ends up exactly the same between devices it gives their handhelds less appeal to Westerners and out of the two lines their handhelds are the ones that have consistently done well even in face of smartphones and tablets. I don't think Nintendo can afford to let that happen. These things need their own exclusives that justify the unique features of their given device form factor, or there's almost zero reason to get them when you can get the superior device in the family.

The idea is that it would be easy to port between the two, probably up porting the portable games to the console.
The libraries should still be different enough, with some console multiplats not being able to run on the portable.
Though in theory it could just make it so the handheld will have no exclusives it would also mean that a lot more games will be made for it if publishers take in mind both platforms.
As for Nintendo, it could make them put out a lot more original content instead of having to make two different versions (Mario kart 7/8) giving them room to make more games like with what happened with Animal Crossing this generation (Imagine new leaf being on both systems and the remaining staff used the assets to make two spin offs and Splatoon)
Could also lead to more ambitious portable games which would be a plus. Though, hopefully some of their big titles like Zelda and Xenoblade will stay console exclusive.
Most Wii U titles could work on Vita+ like device, I'd think, just with less effects/compressed textures. DKCTF, 3D World, Smash, Splatoon (splatoon 2 on a portable in japan is going to be massive), etc could likely work but I couldn't see Zelda U and X running well.

KAL2006

Banned
The screen would still be a tad bit too small for games like Super Mario Maker & Splatoon to work like they did on the Wii U. And even then, what about the recessive screen. Wouldn't Nintendo go for capacitive this time around since it would open up more gameplay possibilities? That being said, I do see your point on the benefit of 3DS BC & not throwing potential late releases like Pokémon Z under the bus. But even then, unless Nintendo releases an add-on for Wii U BC, we're probably gonna lose BC in some capacity anyway.

Capacative technology has improved. Nowadays you can have capacitive touchscreen with a Stylus. I'd expect Nintendo to use small capacitive screen and still be able to emulate DS and 3DS games. They can even have air touch with the Stylus similar to my Samsung Note. 3DS and DS emulation can easily work. They can have 2 settings. First setting simply the top screen on the TV. And bottom screen on the controller. Games like NSMB and other DS and 3DS games would work here that barely use the bottom screen. The other setting they can have both screens displayed on the TV. And use the touch screen on the touch pad as a air Stylus with a cursor showing on the TV.

Yes Wii U backwards compatability would he lost but i reckon that's not a huge deal. Firstly because that system doesn't have that many owners anyways and to support things like Gameplay and WiiMote it's better for Nintendo to leave that all behind them. The 3DS and DS architecture would he way easier to emulate and you would have the advantage of playing those old classics on the handheld version of the NX too just like when 3DS supported DS games.

And if they are going cross compatible they may as well have a cartridge as the universal medium as you can't stick a Bluray or DVD in a handheld without it being huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom