• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this week I don't have to hear about how people can't figure out a simple UI. Urgh.

stewy

Also, I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing at "Nobunga". I didn't know how to explain it to my coworkers so I just put my head down and tried to ignore the looks.

Working in game retail/rental back in the day I can't count the amount of times I heard this. Other greats were Residential Evil and Mortal Kombat Trilology.

omgkitty

I don't want to be a jerk here, but did anyone else get really annoyed when the conversation about the Humble Bundle came up and Mike was actually annoyed he couldn't pay nothing for it and then proceeded to pay a penny? I mean this money goes to charity. It just seemed like a dick move and it really made me dislike Mike a lot more.

mik

mik is unbeatable
You're not being a jerk, and that is a dick move, but to be fair, I am an asshole. (I'm also an asshole who gives plenty to a number of charities, but that's not entirely relevant here)

What annoyed me is the approach. Just make the bundle cost $5 or $10 and spare me the guilt trip. They're not asking me to donate to charity. They're asking me to prove that I want to donate to charity. Pass.

Jamestown is pretty great, though.

Massa

You're not being a jerk, and that is a dick move, but to be fair, I am an asshole. (I'm also an asshole who gives plenty to a number of charities, but that's not entirely relevant here)

What annoyed me is the approach. Just make the bundle cost $5 or $10 and spare me the guilt trip. They're not asking me to donate to charity. They're asking me to prove that I want to donate to charity. Pass.

Between that and the making-the-11-year-old-cry story I just assumed it was Evil Mike staring in this episode.

I liked it.

mik

mik is unbeatable
guyana-crime-century.jpg

Did CJ's Soul break when he put the OG DBZ theme in Japanese?

I would thought that he would have used the Rock the Dragon theme, since when I asked him about anime being subtitled on Netflix his answer was, "Of course is dubbed".

SuperPac

Did CJ's Soul break when he put the OG DBZ theme in Japanese?

I would thought that he would have used the Rock the Dragon theme, since when I asked him about anime being subtitled on Netflix his answer was, "Of course is dubbed".

I'm shocked you would think I would include anything except Cha-la Head-cha-la.

I like dubbed anime for the most part and enjoy it when they attempt to do an English dub of a Japanese song. Rock the Dragon can go eff itself. Get out of here with that noise. Headchala forever!

I'm shocked you would think I would include anything except Cha-la Head-cha-la.

I like dubbed anime for the most part and enjoy it when they attempt to do an English dub of a Japanese song. Rock the Dragon can go eff itself. Get out of here with that noise. Headchala forever!

http://rockthedragon.ytmnd.com/

I actually listened to the JP ver of the sonic CD intro and i have to say that i have a hard time deciding which is one better. I enjoy both as i have little nostalgia of either. (Didn't own a Sega CD).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't want to be the asshole who judges people for paying 1 cent for the Humble Indie Bundle, because they don't set a limit, but when people pay 1 cent, they actually cost them money in paypal fees.

He said he would be willing to pay a set price, so why didn't he just buy Jamestown on the Steam store for 5 or 10 dollars?

I dunno, people can do what they want, but there's always that one guy who proudly trolls the humble indie threads by saying he got the games for "free" and it just bugs me for some reason. Considering that two people on the show make their living making games, I'm surprised no one said anything.

(Unless that whole segment was an elaborate joke that was lost on me)

I don't want to be a jerk here, but did anyone else get really annoyed when the conversation about the Humble Bundle came up and Mike was actually annoyed he couldn't pay nothing for it and then proceeded to pay a penny? I mean this money goes to charity. It just seemed like a dick move and it really made me dislike Mike a lot more.

Oh, I guess I'm LTTP here. lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
I would hope--and I fully expect--that they've crunched the numbers to the point where they know the throng of people eager to demonstrate their largess will greatly outweigh the cocksuckers just trying to get one over on them.

Also, my download page updated with all the games from Humble 3! Time to finally try out VVVVVV.

I don't want to be the asshole who judges people for paying 1 cent for the Humble Indie Bundle, because they don't set a limit, but when people pay 1 cent, they actually cost them money in paypal fees.

He said he would be willing to pay a set price, so why didn't he just buy Jamestown on the Steam store for 5 or 10 dollars?

I dunno, people can do what they want, but there's always that one guy who proudly trolls the humble indie threads by saying he got the games for "free" and it just bugs me for some reason. Considering that two people on the show make their living making games, I'm surprised no one said anything.

(Unless that whole segment was an elaborate joke that was lost on me)

Oh, I guess I'm LTTP here. lol

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't really get that "They're asking me to prove that I want to donate to charity" thing. That sad developer picture only comes up if you pay less than a dollar. I dunno, (charity aside) I don't see how people can morally justify paying the absolute minimum to people offering quality content on a pay what you want model. Surely you'd like to see these small indie teams make more games, right?

mik

mik is unbeatable
I don't see how people can morally justify paying the absolute minimum to people offering quality content on a pay what you want model.
And I don't see how you can accuse someone of moral turpitude for paying what they want in a pay what you want model.

And I don't see how you can accuse someone of moral turpitude for paying what they want in a pay what you want model.

I didn't really mean it in an accusatory way. I agree that you're perfectly within your right to do so and shouldn't have anything to feel guilty but was there not a part of you thinking "these developers are doing something good for both consumers and charity, maybe I should reward them for that"?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If all you wanted was Jamestown and you had no problem paying whatever they were asking for it, why not just buy it directly from the Steam store?

But, fair enough.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
This is perfect!

I'm the short guy who tells long-winded stories that nobody cares about.
CJ's the guy who buys multiple copies of games and only plays them for 20 minutes.
Greg's Canadian.
And now Mike has his defining trait: he's the jerk who steals from indie developers!

On an unrelated note, I've been going through some old VHS tapes that I found in my storage unit. I'm uploading them to a YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D2429425C1C2A60

This is in addition to my channel full of miscellaneous Player One Podcast-related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8EFA6C042F075F71

I just wish I could choose not to send any money to the Red Cross at all. But what an awesome deal! If you donate more than the average (a paltry $5.15) you get a bunch of extra games too.

Giving them a single cent is the equivalent of leavy a penny tip for the waiter under an inverted glass of water. Oh, and the meal was free.

I'd rather meet one gesture of goodwill with another, but that's just me, a kind and generous human being in contrast to the vile, heartless, and selfish mik.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, I miss the days when video game commercials were stupid and cheesy. Now you have Jonah Hill pimping Modern Warfare 3 in a commercial that doesn't show any part of the game.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I just wish I could choose not to send any money to the Red Cross at all. But what an awesome deal! If you donate more than the average (a paltry $5.15) you get a bunch of extra games too.

Giving them a single cent is the equivalent of leavy a penny tip for the waiter under an inverted glass of water. Oh, and the meal was free.

I'd rather meet one gesture of goodwill with another, but that's just me, a kind and generous human being in contrast to the vile, heartless, and selfish mik.

LOL. Well done.

Oxx

This is perfect!

CJ's the guy who buys multiple copies of games and only plays them for 20 minutes.
Greg's Canadian.
And now Mike has his defining trait: he's the jerk who steals from indie developers!

Mike's intro for the next show writes itself, so at least CJ is happy.

stewy

It's kind of sad if my nationality is my defining trait on the show.

Could we go with classic Sega fanboy instead?

This is perfect!

Greg's Canadian.

On an unrelated note, I've been going through some old VHS tapes that I found in my storage unit. I'm uploading them to a YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D2429425C1C2A60

This is in addition to my channel full of miscellaneous Player One Podcast-related videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8EFA6C042F075F71

Oh memories.

I had the Star Fox tape and it actually worked. I bought the game based on that tape.

The Jim Carrey persona is so evident to me now. Also LOL at the nintendo guy saying "What new game? We got a Lot of games coming out"

It's kind of sad if my nationality is my defining trait on the show.

Could we go with classic Sega fanboy instead?

That would make too much sense.

Put me down for not splitting the podcast next week. 3 hours or bust!

Its not like I have anything beter to do next monday. Spend it with my family? Hogwash, I have all years to deal with them, lets start off 2012 with a complete player one

I read the description - is the Humble Indie Bundle thing a troll? lol

The email he gave, mormonrage, just sounds so made up... Either way the contest was completely unnecessary on Mike's part, the internet has moved on to this ocean pr guy. Everyone has already forgotten his despisal of indie developers :p

LiK

The email he gave, mormonrage, just sounds so made up... Either way the contest was completely unnecessary on Mike's part, the internet has moved on to this ocean pr guy. Everyone has already forgotten his despisal of indie developers :p
that's mik's twitter handle like forever

btw mik, those people asking for free games couldn't even pay a fucking PENNY!

Top Bottom