• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

I've gotta agree about that one section in Samus Returns, it comes out of nowhere and is WAY too hard. The third section in particular is so unforgiving that one wrong move or hesitation kills you. Put me off the game for a few days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was more shocked Ethan would approve of MGSV, a game that's filled to the brim with microtransactions. Even if he did handwave it and say it didn't affect singleplayer...which ain't exactly correct.

On the topic of Ethan, as someone who has gone through a similar moral peril in their workplace once upon a time, I respect that Ethan is standing his ground.

Also loot boxes and gambling with real money mechanics are terrible. I have too many games in my backlog to mess with any game that tries to peddle that bullshit.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ethan is creating so much interesting discussions with his presence. The show would be way more boring without him, either you like his opinions or not.

FN-2187

I was more getting to the point that MGS V has uncapped spending in it, not that it's not a good game. Should've worded it better.

Oh, fair point then. Didn’t realize that crap was in MGSV. I thought you were just ripping Ethan for liking a game that you didn’t.

https://kotaku.com/esrb-says-it-doesnt-see-loot-boxes-as-gambling-1819363091

”While there's an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don't want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you'll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you've had your eye on for a while. But other times you'll end up with a pack of cards you already have."

Jurassic-Park-33-Hold-on-to-your-butts1.jpg

Also, since he's mentioned in the article, a reminder in case his name gets brought up in praise.

Episode 571: Chasms, Canyons, and Big Holes

This week! What form we’d want a Game Boy Classic Mini to take, picking on devs for not finishing their series, apologies for bad localizations, bopping Yoshi on the back of the head and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/10_17_17-Episode571.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/571
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/rhZQENcWpOY
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Episode 572: Play Forever

This week! We look back on the Nintendo Switch reveal video, the OG Xbox backward compatibility on the One, the Super NT Super NES retro clone console, Fire Emblem Warriors, Destiny 2, Ethan says Axiom Verge is better than a very classic game and…oh yeah – the EA/Visceral Star Wars news too. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/10_24_17-Episode572.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/2017/10/23/572-play-forever/
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

SuperPac

I know there are listeners who are probably leaving or thinking of leaving this place BUT - before you go I wanted to thank you for posting here. Without NeoGAF I doubt we'd still be doing P1 all these years later. This show really got its start on NeoGAF. So, thank you.

And if you're staying (like I plan to), can you believe Ethan thinks Axiom Verge is better than Super Metroid I mean COME ON. Also, the Switch reveal video is the best hardware platform reveal video of all time and that's no hyper-bowl.

Jmille99

I know there are listeners who are probably leaving or thinking of leaving this place BUT - before you go I wanted to thank you for posting here. Without NeoGAF I doubt we'd still be doing P1 all these years later. This show really got its start on NeoGAF. So, thank you.

And if you're staying (like I plan to), can you believe Ethan thinks Axiom Verge is better than Super Metroid I mean COME ON. Also, the Switch reveal video is the best hardware platform reveal video of all time and that's no hyper-bowl.

Ill be staying. This site is flawed in many ways, but its lively (both good and bad), and lots of good discussions while being on top of breaking news and well written articles.

Though Im disappointed Phil wasnt on. Was eager to hear his jokes about the NeoGaf implosion.

Lothars

We love what you do. So glad to be apart of this thread even if I am a few hundred episodes behind.So thanks for what you do. This is one of my last posts on gaf but I hope you will be apart of whatever comes next.

FN-2187

Thanks for doing the show all these years, CJ! It's by far my favorite podcast. I watch the Youtube version every Monday morning while I start work. On Sunday evenings, I always start to dread the start of the work week until I remember that a new P1P will be waiting for me in the morning.

On Super Metroid, I didn't find Ethan's opinion that much of a hot take. While I recognize how important and influential Super Metroid is, I have tried playing that game multiple times with the intention of playing through it to the end. I always get about five hours in and get bored. I think SOTN and every Metroid-style Castlevania on DS is better. I have not yet played Axiom Verge, but I wouldn't be surprised if I agreed with Ethan.

dc89

Nearly crashed my car when Ethan said that ☝🏻

jyoung188

I'm not going anywhere. Thanks you for a decade of entertainment. I really appreciate that you interact with the fans here, this is one of the first threads I thought about when the site went down it would've sucked if this went away.

Ethan is just trolling everyone right? When I think he can't get any more rediculous he goes and outdoes himself. Lol

Harlock

I was wrong about the Switch and the videogame is really a success. Anyway, still think is expensive to get the hardware and games (specially outside USA).

Maybe one thing make the Switch less interesting for me is that Hearthstone become the full game that I can play in my cellphone. Is the only big game that you can get the same experience playing on PC or phone.

About the big single player games, I hope you get the tools to do good games with few people, like happened with indie 2D games. Is much more complex, and so far this was only possible in walking simulators. The japanese style may help, using less different scenarios and more focused in gameplay combat.

stewy

Hey neogaf! Let's do some good! Support me in my quest to raise $10,000.00 for the IWK Health Centre through Extra Life.

Every $5 you donate puts your name into a draw for one of two SNES Classics!

Donate $40 or more and choose a TurboGrafx-16 game for me to play during my marathon on Nov 4/5!

Please consider donating. And come watch the stream on game day!

FN-2187

I finally get a Switch and Ethan quits the show. Not cool.

Good luck to him though!

I wonder if there is any chance they get Chris Baker to be 4th chair. Episodes are always great when he is on.

wondermega

Finally a tiny amount of activity in this thread! (Even the podcasters have abandoned it). Still my favorite podcast though. I've been catching up on the after shows lately, I really enjoy them.

SuperPac

Ethan didn't quit the show. Just like we don't have ads because I don't want to be beholden to advertiser contracts to continue to do episodes if we decided to stop (or skip a week, or whatever), if the legal team at your employer needs to give permission to be on the show - it's probably not a good idea to stay a regular host. Therefore, he'll be back as a guest!

FN-2187

Oh yeah, I totally get that. You explained it very well on the show. It's the right move for sure. I wish him all the best!

(Also, glad to see you still monitor this thread!)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ethan was good, but the show did turn very Nintendo focused during his run. I mean, it's still a very Nintendo friendly show, but a bit more balanced I think.

Harlock

So much God of War hate. If was on Switch would be praised as the combat epic that you can carry in the bag.

Ethan mission was over when everyone learned the evil of loot boxes.

SuperPac

None of us having played God of War, we were only saying we're skeptical of a game that's received so much hyperbolic praise. Having not played it, it's hard to say that it's warranted or not. Reviewers play games in a bubble, on a deadline, and during the period of the most hype. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrkgoo

I wouldn't mind mind keeping this thread alive.

I have a secret shame though. I haven't regularly listened in months. As my family priorities have changed, so too have my hobby priorities. I just don't game a second much as I used to and thus gaming podcasts have fallen by the wayside.

I'm still subscribed though so I can see what is being discussed and still listen occasionally.

Definitely one of my favourite podcasts ever. I'm a nobody, so I know the hosts of the show are barely aware of my existence, but as a listener from waaaaay back (I think I started in the teens episodes), feel a like I've grown up with them.

I love you guys! I'll still check in as often as I can.

SuperPac

Thanks! Hey, that definitely happens - I go in and out of listening to various podcasts too. Thanks for listening for so long though!

Top Bottom