• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

GhaleonQ

Player 1 Podcast/Player One Podcast is a show now featuring:
Phil Theobald (Expert Gamer/GameNOW editor turned Backbone Entertainment producer turned teacher),
Chris Johnston (previously an Electronic Gaming Monthly editor, then an editor at NewType USA, now a producer at Adult Swim Games),
Greg Ford (Electronic Gaming Monthly editor/video games writer cum student-at-enigmatic-midwestern-college [and also an equally brilliant contributor to Todd Zuniga's 4th String Cast]),
Greg Sewart (from Electronic Gaming Monthly editor to producer at EastLink to HB Studios designer).

Here is an incomplete list of good things about the show:

1. Dormerbot. Dormerbot always comes 1st.

2. Games. These men do the legwork; sometimes, they will go so far as to GO TO GAMESPOT'S OR GAMESTOP'S NEW RELEASES SECTION and find games that are Japanese and/or don't have massive marketing budgets. I capitalize that statement because it's obvious such a thing must be too difficult for 90% of professional video game writers.

3. Chemistry. Nerd + pushover + smugness + devil's advocate = perfection. I will not apologize for those gross mischaraterizations.

4. Consistency. They've never missed a weekly show. Just ask them!

5. Humor. The vast majority of it does not rely, in whole or in part, on penises, gimmicks, food, easy setup-punchlines, or fake-inanity, so I'm not sure how NeoGAF will take it. Instead, they improvise and build off of each others' statements, like people who are actually funny do. This is probably because they are nice, normal men.

6. Dormerbot. Dormerbot always closes.

Here are links to the show:
www.playeronepodcast.com
www.hackeralias.com
playerone.libsyn.com
www.playeronepodcast.com/forum
www.playeronepodcast.com/feed
twitter.com/superpac
twitter.com/gregfood
twitter.com/sewart
twitter.com/p1podcast
playeronepodcast@gmail.com
713-893-8069

You all should listen to it because it's my favorite video game podcast.

GhaleonQ

Feel free to post your favorite episodes, all. For now, here's the most recent:

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/2010/11/29/episode-214-112910-kong-of-duty

Episode 214 (11/29/10) – Kong of Duty
This week! We have a quick show after the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. with just enough time to talk about Call of Duty Black Ops, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Cave Story and go through some listener tweets on Black Friday shopping, pieces of video game memorabilia and changing video game history (among others).

http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/11_29_10-Episode214.mp3

elektrixx

Banned
Perfect. I need something to listen to badly; everyone else shut the shit down for Thanksgiving.

Go buy their iPhone app! I bought it last week, and now I feel better about those podcasts I paid nothing for.

The recent conversation about CD's, records and cassettes was a good one.

KongRudi

Banned
I think it's a pretty boring podcast, havn't listened to it for half a year or so..
They talk way to little about games, and when they do, it's usually about Iphone-games.
That's OK tough.. It's just not for me.. :)

Just tought I'd leave feedback.

KongRudi said:
I think it's a pretty boring podcast, havn't listened to it for half a year or so..
They talk way to little about games, and when they do, it's usually about Iphone-games.
That's OK tough.. It's just not for me.. :)

Just tought I'd leave feedback.

Must've caught the podcast at a time when CJ's Apple rash was flaring up. Normally they have his fever contained and they talk about a wide variety of games.

Did they ever explain what happened with Dan Dormer? I used to listen to the show a couple years ago, stopped before he left (or right around that time, I remember Dormerbot, not sure if that was before or after he left) and have started listening again. I downloaded a few random episodes that looked interesting when I started listening again, and Dan still came up once in a while, usually Greg Sewart brings him up. When he's mentioned, the show becomes sort of awkward. Someone (also usually Greg Sewart) always makes mean comments about that seem to go past "We're poking fun at our friend" and into "We legitimately don't like this guy" territory.

Maybe they're just joking and doing a good acting job, or maybe I'm just missing something since I've missed a ton of episodes, but I've been wondering if there's some crazy story of Dan Dormer somehow sabotaging the show or doing some really douchey maneuver when he left to deserve the hate.

V_Ben

Banned
This podcast is consistently fun. The crew just gel so well together, and they don't really feel the pressure to cover all the biggest and newest stuff. Love it :D

GhaleonQ

dr3upmushroom said:
Did they ever explain what happened with Dan Dormer? I used to listen to the show a couple years ago, stopped before he left (or right around that time, I remember Dormerbot, not sure if that was before or after he left) and have started listening again. I downloaded a few random episodes that looked interesting when I started listening again, and Dan still came up once in a while, usually Greg Sewart brings him up. When he's mentioned, the show becomes sort of awkward. Someone (also usually Greg Sewart) always makes mean comments about that seem to go past "We're poking fun at our friend" and into "We legitimately don't like this guy" territory.

Maybe they're just joking and doing a good acting job, or maybe I'm just missing something since I've missed a ton of episodes, but I've been wondering if there's some crazy story of Dan Dormer somehow sabotaging the show or doing some really douchey maneuver when he left to deserve the hate.

Oh, God, search "Dormerbot" on their website now. NOW.

Edit: Ah, I don't think that's the episode. Someone else can find it, because I have to practice a speech. 1 of the podcasters can better explain, but they've said that he stopped showing up without warning and didn't explain why. He avoided contact from them. Then, they reconciled in some sense and there was to be an anniversary reunion show with him on it. He didn't show up for that, didn't explain, and continued to avoid contact, so that's when they decided to actively dislike him.

Then, they made a funny character around it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my problem has always been that, paradoxically, the show lacks strong personalities and the opinions on the show are very predictable. It's the same problem I have with Weekend Confirmed.

My problem (emphasis on the 'my') could even be something as shallow as their voices. I have trouble listening to them without feeling a tad bored. I've yet to hear anything genuinely funny or something actually insightful or original in relation to the common opinion on a video game like I would back in the GFW/Idle Thumbs days.

It feels like I'm a generation younger than this shows target audience (intended target audience or otherwise), oddly.

That said, no hard feelings to the crew. People obviously love the show.

C4Lukins

It is a great podcast. Hopefully we can keep the topic updated when they post new ones, because I just never keep up with these things unless I am reminded. Now that we have lost all the great 1Up Podcasts, this, Out of the Game, and Giant Bomb are the only gaming ones I listen to. Anyway I recall an episode where they discuss the ID4 EGM cover story being especially entertaining or at least the story behind it.

For those who do not find them interesting or funny. It helps to have read EGM during the days they were around so you know exactly what they are referencing. Plus, like any Podcast it takes a couple of episodes to get the dynamic of the people involved.

GhaleonQ

Rez said:
I guess my problem has always been that, paradoxically, the show lacks strong personalities and the opinions on the show are very predictable. It's the same problem I have with Weekend Confirmed.

My problem (emphasis on the 'my') could even be something as shallow as their voices. I have trouble listening to them without feeling a tad bored. I've yet to hear anything genuinely funny or something actually insightful or original in relation to the common opinion on a video game like I would back in the GFW/Idle Thumbs days.

It feels like I'm a generation younger than this shows target audience (intended target audience or otherwise), oddly.

That said, no hard feelings to the crew. People obviously love the show.

Neither of us wants to argue, but I have some thoughts.

1. I listen to around 15 comedy podcasts at this point. I take in a ton of stand-up and sketch work. I'm a huge comedy obsessive. I don't think they could hold their own with people who have been paid to joke for decades, but they do emulate the timing and construction that makes that sort of comedy funny.

In honor of Chris Remo, I say this: it's a Sierra-LucasArts divide for me, and I favor Sierra. Player 1 has quality jokes of the sort that I don't usually appreciate. Idle Thumbs had the form, but not the content. (I'm just explaining, all! Please, don't turn this into a podcast debate topic!)

2. I would never say their games discussion is anything but comfort food. The 2 things that make it interesting, I feel, are the way they undermine each other's pet likes and dislikes through jokes and the genuine attention paid to the way the games are designed.

3. Eh, it was pitched at EGM readers who missed the personalities, most of whom are in their early 20s now.

I've always listened to the player one podcast and always loved it.

But I also think they would benefit from a snappier presentation and less awkward slow laughs. Not that I could do any better, mind you, I'm just saying, keep things rolling. There's always a few too many slow rolling stops to conversations before the next topic comes up.

C4Lukins

SonOfABeep said:
I've always listened to the player one podcast and always loved it.

But I also think they would benefit from a snappier presentation and less awkward slow laughs. Not that I could do any better, mind you, I'm just saying, keep things rolling. There's always a few too many slow rolling stops to conversations before the next topic comes up.

I think that just comes from people living in different areas, for the most part out of the game journalist business playing different games. You have one person talking about and describing a game that nobody else on the podcast has played or maybe even seen in action and it is difficult to keep a dialogue going on in that manner. What makes it interesting is they are all friends who were or still are in the industry, and are all entertaining, just talking the shit about video games. And they seem to do it just for fun and to keep connected, not as a premotional tool, well for the most part that is.

I love how chill this Podcast is about videogames. They play what they want to play and are smart and/or funny enough about it to make it interesting. I always enjoy when Phil has some wacky story. It also helps that the games they have suggested playing (such as Ratchet and Clank, Scott Pilgrim, Sega Genesis Collection) I have enjoyed.

snap0212

Love the Podcast! It's one of the few that I can listen to without having to "agree or disagree" every couple of minutes. I'm not sure how I would describe it, but I have this feeling that (because they don't talk about everything) they only talk about things they have a certain knowledge about. Sure, they're wrong sometimes, but they usually don't start an argument based on factually wrong things. So many other Podcasts do exactly that and that's the reason why I stopped listening to RebelFM, for example. Everything they say feels like an opinion and that's what I like about it.

Ghaleon, you also forgot this link: http://www.hackeralias.com :D

Love Player 1 podcast. Can't get enough of Greg Ford and the 225 podcasts hes on :lol. Hate the fact that no one has listened to Greg Stewart and his love for Castlevania because its definitely worth playing. I can't believe these guys played Enslaved and didn't play Castlevania.

snap0212 said:
Love the Podcast! It's one of the few that I can listen to without having to "agree or disagree" every couple of minutes. I'm not sure how I would describe it, but I have this feeling that (because they don't talk about everything) they only talk about things they have a certain knowledge about. Sure, they're wrong sometimes, but they usually don't start an argument based on factually wrong things. So many other Podcasts do exactly that and that's the reason why I stopped listening to RebelFM, for example. Everything they say feels like an opinion and that's what I like about it.

I started to really dislike Rebel FM after Nick Suttner left and stopped listening for a long time but I have to say that with Tyler and Matt as regulars as well its a much better show and its actually one of my faves right now. The podcast that I'm down on right now is GiantBomb because they trot out the same jokes over and over (Wii game descriptions was funny maybe 2 years ago) and they almost never have guests (although Alex has been on a couple of times which I like). They need to shake it up a bit.

Pikelet

I like this podcast. Whoever said it was comfort food got it right, the show is kind of just pleasurable to listen to.

I also laugh at the Star Wars Episode 1 references :D

Oxx

snap0212 said:

Yeah, I was going to come in here and say something very similar. I love that they don't try and discuss NPDs and that they didn't feel obliged to have a 30 minute discussion Halo Reach just because it's a big game.

I'd much rather listen to people talk about stuff they care about. Let CJ talk about Steve Jobs. Let Phil talk about Megaman. Let Sewart talk about Nascar. Let Ford talk about Madden. But on the other hand I like that none of them feign enthusiasm for any of these topics.

GhaleonQ

Neuromancer said:
Wow a lot of people seem to like this. OK what the hell I'll give it a shot.

I really liked the one 2 episodes before this one, and a lot of others liked the one before this one.

SuperPac

If you'd asked me when we started doing the podcast how many episodes we'd last, I'd have said 10, maybe 20 at the most. But 214...that's staggering to me. That people enjoy listening to us ramble is a good part of why we continue to do it (thanks everyone!), with the added benefit of being a great way to keep in touch with each other now that we've moved to different parts of the continent.

Now that we've got 4 years of podcasts (holy crap) behind us it's pretty funny to go back and listen to the early ones.. :)

Dynoro

SuperPac said:
If you'd asked me when we started doing the podcast how many episodes we'd last, I'd have said 10, maybe 20 at the most. But 214...that's staggering to me. That people enjoy listening to us ramble is a good part of why we continue to do it (thanks everyone!), with the added benefit of being a great way to keep in touch with each other now that we've moved to different parts of the continent.

Now that we've got 4 years of podcasts (holy crap) behind us it's pretty funny to go back and listen to the early ones.. :)
Going back to some of the older ones is a weird (but very funny) experience - the banter is so good all the way through

Messi

I just wanted to jump in here to thank the player one guys for being awesome and delivering an awesome podcast every week.

DangerStepp

Love this podcast.

It's been too long--I'm going to go back and listen to all of the episodes I've missed in the past year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite podcasts, glad to have an OT for it.

mik

mik is unbeatable
CO_Andy said:
"Pikachu, you're tearing me apart!" :lol

Did anybody else tried to look for that image?
CJ posted it on their forums in the episode thread. It isn't for the faint of heart.

(but I've used it two dozen times now)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I used to listen regularly but they got crowded off my playlist when the podcast competition got fierce. I'll see if they can fill the Thumb sized hole in my MP3 player. My main issue is that current episodes rarely discuss the games I'm currently playing or anticipating.

Oxx

I'm totally gonna buy the P1P app when I get an iPod touch next week.

I know that it might make more sense to donate directly to the show, but I'm sure CJ will be happy when Apple get their cut of the app cost.

shawnlreed

Episode 209 had a story where CJ recalled listening to 2 Live Crew's song "Face Down Ass Up" with his mom.
My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Interactive Fiction said:
Episode 209 had a story where CJ recalled listening to 2 Live Crew's song "Face Down Ass Up" with his mom.
My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Yea i had that in the background while playing minecraft. Think i got killed by a creeper for being off guard from laughing.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
milo_01.jpg

"I'm quite excited for this thread, I am!"

Top Bottom