• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Ethan: The very reason our show exists is to talk about new releases, we don't talk about destiny week after week after week.

Pretty sure the show exists to talk about games-as-a-service week after week after week...

I think the reason why the live show went so well is the discussion was centered around retro/SNES games so that topic didn't have a chance to come up.

I understand the complaints of the heavy switch/nintendo coverage but in that case I can at least understand that things are coming out and at least one person in the crew is excited about it.

The GaaS talk is so tired at this point that I normally just skip it if I have the controls handy.

SuperPac

I think the reason why the live show went so well is the discussion was centered around retro/SNES games so that topic didn't have a chance to come up.

I understand the complaints of the heavy switch/nintendo coverage but in that case I can at least understand that things are coming out and at least one person in the crew is excited about it.

The GaaS talk is so tired at this point that I normally just skip it if I have the controls handy.

Yeah I'll provide chapter stops in this episode in case people want to skip that part. I think we're done talking about it again for a little while.

I do believe it's an important discussion to have just so people are more aware of the F2P mechanics being brought into full, $60+ games. And the quote from the NPD guy in the GamesBeat story saying that service games are taking over the charts... that's a big thing. It seems like it's not sometimes, but, keeping on top of where gaming is going is important as consumers. At one point, people were very up in arms about horse armor. Crazy to see where we are now.

dock

Late to the party, but I wanted to add that Phil did an amazing job in the live show. He really brought the audience into the fold and made sure everyone knew what was being talked about. I’ve been at events like this and it’s awesome when someone is able to keep the talk relatable.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Late to the party, but I wanted to add that Phil did an amazing job in the live show. He really brought the audience into the fold and made sure everyone knew what was being talked about. I’ve been at events like this and it’s awesome when someone is able to keep the talk relatable.

Gosh, thanks! I tried! I do have a few years' experience talking to audiences that aren't necessarily experts on the subject that's currently being discussed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ethan's position is so intractable that it's really not worth bringing up anymore. I think I'm looking forward to here the Mike x Ethan talk, just because I'm sure it's a complete shit show, but yeah... you guys might as well be having a debate about global warming with someone who thinks it's a conspiracy. It's like a CNN panel where everyone yells at each other for 30 minutes and nothing has changed. lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
I think I'm looking forward to here the Mike x Ethan talk, just because I'm sure it's a complete shit show

You might be disappointed. ;)

I mostly listened and tried to glean some understanding of that intractable position--because based on the hyperbole of his twitter feed and, to a lesser degree, his talking points on the show, I was as vexed as everyone else. It makes more sense to me now as it has revealed itself to be a highly personal experience (a lot of the stuff we talked about can't/won't be aired). It doesn't change my position, it just helps me empathize with his.

In the end, I'm still squarely in the camp of people needing to exert some personal responsibility--you cannot regulate that.

On the other hand, you must recognize capitalism for what it is. Whether it's Volkswagen lying about vehicle emissions or Mylan jacking up the price of an EpiPen, it is imprudent to place your unwavering trust in a for-profit corporation--even Nintendo.

stewy

I'm normally in the same camp as you, but sometimes it is worth bringing up for reasons other than to simply bang on the same drum for the hundredth time. Forza's transformation to a loot-crate economy is huge considering the community that has grown around that series.

I'll delete this if I'm misremembering or completely wrong but I thought Ethan spoke on the show once about why and how his crusade against gambling is very personal to him.

On a separate note: What became of Pete Dodd? I was listening to the Bioshock Infinite spoilercast recently and he was on it, maybe the last time he was on the podcast in general?

FN-2187

I'll delete this if I'm misremembering or completely wrong but I thought Ethan spoke on the show once about why and how his crusade against gambling is very personal to him

You are not misremembering. He shared something once about him falling victim to all this gambling garbage in mobile games.

Episode 569: Loot Your Crates

This week! Forza 7 has loot crate troubles, games as a service has taken over the charts, the Super Nintendo Classic hits stores and we played a whole bunch of retro games. Plus we talk fond memories of Toys R Us. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/10_03_17-Episode569.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/569
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/H3bnwJG1xkw
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, Ethan crusade against this schemes was always very personal and he didn't try to hide the fact. Which is why I'm suprised that people just won't let it be and try to challenge him about his views every time the topic comes up.

That's like complaining about the alcoholic friend of yours that will just order a water when everyone else is getting a beer. Not saying that Ethans arguments are or right because he is biased but It is what it is.

Even though I play a bunch of f2p and gacha titles it's not that hard to see where Ethan is coming from.

Edit:

I haven't listened to the latest episode yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where? The Doddscientifics site doesn’t show anything new over two years ago.
It's in the feed at least. I see it pop up from time to time. I remember he mentioned having some personal issues back when I listened to it many months ago, but I don't remember what it was specifically.

You might be disappointed. ;)

I mostly listened and tried to glean some understanding of that intractable position--because based on the hyperbole of his twitter feed and, to a lesser degree, his talking points on the show, I was as vexed as everyone else. It makes more sense to me now as it has revealed itself to be a highly personal experience (a lot of the stuff we talked about can't/won't be aired). It doesn't change my position, it just helps me empathize with his.

In the end, I'm still squarely in the camp of people needing to exert some personal responsibility--you cannot regulate that.

On the other hand, you must recognize capitalism for what it is. Whether it's Volkswagen lying about vehicle emissions or Mylan jacking up the price of an EpiPen, it is imprudent to place your unwavering trust in a for-profit corporation--even Nintendo.

I think what frustrates me is the arbitrary lines that he draws. I know he has talked about being sucked into a game with no "spend cap" before and noticing that he has spent a lot of money on a game without being full aware that he was doing so, and I can appreciate him being against games that pray on people using psychological tricks.

But then he says things like he's okay with spending a thousand dollars on amiibos because there's a cap on his spending and I'm just confused at his position. The same goes with buying DLC season passes sight unseen, buying tons of games, and so on. The money is still being spent - it's just being directed in a different direction, mandated by other (perhaps less manipulative) psychological factors.

To me it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, particularly when I don't see the distinction between spending 30 dollars on Overwatch/Dota/PUBG lootboxes and 30 dollars on a Metroid amiibo to unlock DLC in the new Metroid game.

To me it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, particularly when I don't see the distinction between spending 30 dollars on Overwatch/Dota/PUBG lootboxes and 30 dollars on a Metroid amiibo to unlock DLC in the new Metroid game.

If I had to venture a guess and assume, I think the argument would be that the transaction ends with the purchase of the Amiibo. Loot boxes are always random with no guarantee. Even if the unlock for DLC in the Metroid game cost 500 bucks, there's still a finite price to it all, whereas you might get lucky and unlock something at 10 bucks from a loot box or 10000 bucks; you never know, and to a gambler or someone with an addiction to spending money, you just keep going and it can prey on those types of people.

Think of it this way. Before it was owning every game on the Switch, it was owning everything in VR (and excusing a week before the violence in Charlottesville a man who through "meme magic" bolstered white nationalist leaders who emboldened the killer simply because he invested in some VR tech), and before that owning everything for the Vita. But all those things are disclosable and clear; you know how much a game costs and it isn't random. If every Switch game was hidden in a loot box, it could cost either the same amount or infinitely more since you might get doubles or something.

It's not just the cost, but the randomness and infinity of it all.

cw_sasuke

You dont see a difference between paying and knowing exactly what you will get for your money or having to hope for RNG for a good gacha/lottery pull ? Come on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess to me, as long as you know what you are paying for, the money spent is still money spent. If you are buying a 30 dollar gacha pull on Granblue, you are in part paying Cygames to maintain a game that they essentially give away for free.

I agree that shit gets murky when it's 60 dollar games with season passes charging microtransactions (Destiny 2's bright engram system is really dumb), but when he's okay with spending money blindly on games just because they have a "spend cap", it just seems like two sides of the same coin.

I mean, imagine buying the Battlefield 1 season pass blindly? You basically got screwed because EA decided to release a GOTY edition less than a year later and let people have the season pass for essentially half the price.

I don't think gacha/microstransactions/uncapped spending is inherently evil, just as I don't think DLC/season passes/amiibos/Skylanders/whatever are inherently good. They are what developers and players make of them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You dont see a difference between paying and knowing exactly what you will get for your money or having to hope for RNG for a good gacha/lottery pull ? Come on.
You have spent the money on a chance. You know exactly what you bought - a chance.

cw_sasuke

You have spent the money on a chance. You know exactly what you bought - a chance.
Yeah and he is not a fan of buying "chances" with real money ... Not that difficult to understand.

Not every game is Overwatch... Have fun with those gacha/f2p games once you are tagged as a whale/big spender and try to get any units/gear you want in the future. Not wanting these companies to know and create detailed profiles about your spending behavior is a legit concern.

We can talk and complain about this all day but at the end it's his opinion and his money... He clarified often enough that he can't or won't stop other people from playing these games but it's not for him and his family. I don't understand why he has to explain himself all the time just because he isn't a fan of those gambling mechanics.

Quonny

It doesn’t help that a lot of people, myself included, don’t like Ethan on the podcast that much.

Nothing personal. He seems like a good person, a good parent, etc, but he just doesn’t mesh with the regular crew in my opinion. Obviously they are their own podcast and do it for fun, so they can have whoever they want on and talk about whatever they please. But throw in his super hard stances on things like microtransactions, no matter how valid they may be, and you just get a lot of annoyed people.

cw_sasuke

... And they still managed to be co-workers and friends for years... That's what P1P always has been. Nothing has really has changed on that front. Some of you love to complain about Ethan when we had multiple weeks in the last months where the what you've been playing section would have been a dead if it weren't for him taking about his VR experiences or obscure stuff like Steins Gate.

Honestly you guys bitch a bit too much about him. Then again once you are the official scapegoat it's difficult to shake that off.

From all the things you could chose I don't get why people feel threatened by his feeling towards the gacha BS. At this point the other hosts bring up the issue more often than Ethan himself anyway...

mik

mik is unbeatable
I played—and finished—StarFox 2 at CES a couple decades ago. I came back telling people they didn't need to look forward to it. That game literally was never good.

SuperPac

Yeah and he is not a fan of buying "chances" with real money ... Not that difficult to understand.

Not every game is Overwatch... Have fun with those gacha/f2p games once you are tagged as a whale/big spender and try to get any units/gear you want in the future. Not wanting these companies to know and create detailed profiles about your spending behavior is a legit concern.

We can talk and complain about this all day but at the end it's his opinion and his money... He clarified often enough that he can't or won't stop other people from playing these games but it's not for him and his family. I don't understand why he has to explain himself all the time just because he isn't a fan of those gambling mechanics.

Yep, agreed.

He does not have to explain himself all the time - though he often does, unprompted. I think we all know his position, and that it is legit unwavering - he doesn't like loot boxes/gatchas/card packs, wants them heavily regulated on both mobile and in console titles, doesn't trust games run as services, and believes the existence of loot boxes in games is preying on people who can't control themselves in regard to gambling mechanics. He is not terribly interested in debating where the line is and what's appropriate with the rest of us because to him there should be no line - it's a black and white issue only. I can respect that viewpoint although I disagree.

The reason I brought up the quote in episode 569 from Mat @ the NPD is because although I think a lot of us observed this sort of shift to service games, now it is a recognized thing. Gamer habits have changed and AAA is reacting to that in a big way. Maybe we don't want to talk about it, but it is important to recognize where things are and where things seem to be going. There were gamers before who bought 1 sports game a year or just a GTA. Now there are gamers who do that or buy/play just Destiny or Overwatch or Rainbow Six Siege or Friday the 13th or The Division or Dota 2 or Hearthstone or GTA Online. The player who buys a bunch of games and plays through a solo story is a rapidly decreasing % of the market - because these service games offer the value they do in part because they're able to sell additional content and add more stuff on an ongoing basis. It is not hard to see why that is so appealing. If there's a game I like playing and have the option to get more content for it by paying or have it funded by others who are - I'm into that. In that respect it's a positive.

Like we've also said on the show perhaps for years, that starts to erode a large part of the B-tier market including single-player AAA titles and indies. Not to say there will never be another hit like Rocket League or an indie game can't be a huge hit. But it is getting more and more difficult to happen because you aren't just competing with releases from the same week - you are competing with all the service games that continue to market themselves along with other AAA games, etc. That's important to realize as a consumer.

I was really happy with the talk in episode 569 cuz I think we went over a lot of that ground. And though it doesn't seem important especially if you don't DUMP money into games that have loot boxes and gatchas, when Microsoft implements a "pay more to increase the % chance you get a good thing" in a $60, paid game, that's worth discussion even if you don't play Forza. When they change a CR bonus to a consumable when it once was a forever-VIP pass, that's worth discussion. Because it is going to come to a genre/game you like soon. Publishers are playing with this line in part because games are expensive to make but also because they have to have their hits hit bigger if their failures are potentially going to make less than they used to.

stewy

Yep, agreed.

He does not have to explain himself all the time - though he often does, unprompted. I think we all know his position, and that it is legit unwavering - he doesn't like loot boxes/gatchas/card packs, wants them heavily regulated on both mobile and in console titles, doesn't trust games run as services, and believes the existence of loot boxes in games is preying on people who can't control themselves in regard to gambling mechanics. He is not terribly interested in debating where the line is and what's appropriate with the rest of us because to him there should be no line - it's a black and white issue only. I can respect that viewpoint although I disagree.

The reason I brought up the quote in episode 569 from Mat @ the NPD is because although I think a lot of us observed this sort of shift to service games, now it is a recognized thing. Gamer habits have changed and AAA is reacting to that in a big way. Maybe we don't want to talk about it, but it is important to recognize where things are and where things seem to be going. There were gamers before who bought 1 sports game a year or just a GTA. Now there are gamers who do that or buy/play just Destiny or Overwatch or Rainbow Six Siege or Friday the 13th or The Division or Dota 2 or Hearthstone or GTA Online. The player who buys a bunch of games and plays through a solo story is a rapidly decreasing % of the market - because these service games offer the value they do in part because they're able to sell additional content and add more stuff on an ongoing basis. It is not hard to see why that is so appealing. If there's a game I like playing and have the option to get more content for it by paying or have it funded by others who are - I'm into that. In that respect it's a positive.

Like we've also said on the show perhaps for years, that starts to erode a large part of the B-tier market including single-player AAA titles and indies. Not to say there will never be another hit like Rocket League or an indie game can't be a huge hit. But it is getting more and more difficult to happen because you aren't just competing with releases from the same week - you are competing with all the service games that continue to market themselves along with other AAA games, etc. That's important to realize as a consumer.

I was really happy with the talk in episode 569 cuz I think we went over a lot of that ground. And though it doesn't seem important especially if you don't DUMP money into games that have loot boxes and gatchas, when Microsoft implements a "pay more to increase the % chance you get a good thing" in a $60, paid game, that's worth discussion even if you don't play Forza. When they change a CR bonus to a consumable when it once was a forever-VIP pass, that's worth discussion. Because it is going to come to a genre/game you like soon. Publishers are playing with this line in part because games are expensive to make but also because they have to have their hits hit bigger if their failures are potentially going to make less than they used to.

I feel like it's worth pointing out again that Forza's loot crates are only sold through soft currency at this moment. I'm sure a hard-currency microtransaction is on the way, but I feel like this is something that got lost in our discussion on the show :)

phanphare

Banned
just wanted to chime in and say I appreciate ethan's contributions to the podcast. I see him get shit on a lot and since the hosts regularly post in here I felt compelled to just throw that out there.

yeah his f2p rants can become a bit trite but honestly I appreciate his perspective on that matter. I find his views on these issues to be absolutely necessary and personally I don't care enough so it's nice that someone else does.

but most of all he always brings interesting discussion to the table in regards to what he's been playing. he frequently talks about games and experiences that no one else does, he frequently talks about games and experiences on platforms that aren't regularly talked about, he frequently takes chances on lesser known games, he buys a lot of games, and he has strong opinions on the things that he talks about.

so yeah, very much pro ethan over here

FN-2187

just wanted to chime in and say I appreciate ethan's contributions to the podcast. I see him get shit on a lot and since the hosts regularly post in here I felt compelled to just throw that out there.

yeah his f2p rants can become a bit trite but honestly I appreciate his perspective on that matter. I find his views on these issues to be absolutely necessary and personally I don't care enough so it's nice that someone else does.

but most of all he always brings interesting discussion to the table in regards to what he's been playing. he frequently talks about games and experiences that no one else does, he frequently talks about games and experiences on platforms that aren't regularly talked about, he frequently takes chances on lesser known games, he buys a lot of games, and he has strong opinions on the things that he talks about.

so yeah, very much pro ethan over here

I agree with all of this. Ethan brings a lot of energy to the show, and he always comes with lots to talk about. I also thought this week's opening discussion about Forza was great stuff.

I am guessing that a lot of the issues people have with Ethan is that he is not Mike, and they loved Mike. He was my favourite member of the cast and it was tough to lose him, but the show is still great (but different) with Ethan, just like it was great (but different) with Greg Ford.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ford? He got on my shitlist for playing some call of duty battling fields or whatnot during a podcast. It was clear right there he didn't want to be there, so I'm glad P1P moved forward.

Ethan's fuckin' weird, and I like that about him. Just fact check him sometimes, he tends to get mad about some kideo games that supposedly have microtransactions when they don't, etc - happens here and there. I very much appreciate he brings conversation about games that usually get no love. No more lego dimensions please! Ethan helps out with that.

PillarEN

Actually, I love Ethan on the podcast. His stances and the discussions that come out of it are amusing to me as a listener. Plus some of his buying habits are also fun to listen to.

Total side note. I always sort of forget when someone leaves and then someone comes over to take the 4th chair. Like I can't remember if Ethan has only held this position for a 6 months or almost a year now. I'm not P1P lifer. I didn't hop on the train until Greg Ford and then I think I was away from the show for a little bit and he wasn't there anymore. Mike missing for so long was a bummer, but at this point it feels like 2 years? It's probably way shorter than that. Uh, I don't really know what I'm getting at here. Kevin Larabee is always a welcome addition when a chair is vacant though.

EDIT: I haven't listened to the newest episode yet.

Edit 2: wow. That Forza talk was actually really long even though it didn't seem like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My only thing with Ethan is that he's like a robot that responds the same way every time the standard topics come up. He realizes that he does it - in the new episode he jokes about how Ninjago is a better game than Forza because of the microtransactions - but even with that awareness, it'a almost like he's on autopilot the moment one of the "Ethan topics" come up (much like, say, a White House Press Secretary).
Once he gets away from the talking points, he's fine.

MC Safety

If you're talking about Ethan E., the guy I worked with on a bunch of game magazines all those years ago, know he's one of the smartest guys out there. He's seen a lot of the industry, as a journalist, a PR man, and an executive.

You'd be wise to listen to what he says.

Also, we once went to see House of the Dead when it premiered at the San Francisco film festival. Ethan and I got frisked at the door, and I didn't know it until later, but Uwe Boll patted me down. It was a fun night: When they introduced Boll, I said to Ethan in an overloud voice, "That's the cat that frisked me!" Also, when they introduced Peter Moore, he looked horribly embarrassed and stood up for about a quarter of a second before returning to his seat.

In conclusion, Ethan also once interviewed Uwe Boll. It was a great piece of investigative journalism.

If you're talking about Ethan E., the guy I worked with on a bunch of game magazines all those years ago, know he's one of the smartest guys out there. He's seen a lot of the industry, as a journalist, a PR man, and an executive.

You'd be wise to listen to what he says.

Also, we once went to see House of the Dead when it premiered at the San Francisco film festival. Ethan and I got frisked at the door, and I didn't know it until later, but Uwe Boll patted me down. It was a fun night: When they introduced Boll, I said to Ethan in an overloud voice, "That's the cat that frisked me!" Also, when they introduced Peter Moore, he looked horribly embarrassed and stood up for about a quarter of a second before returning to his seat.

In conclusion, Ethan also once interviewed Uwe Boll. It was a great piece of investigative journalism.

I was hoping there was more to this, but all I could find was a link to your post in 2005

I haven't yet told this story in this particular thread and so...

Former GameNow editor Ethan "Stealy McGrabbington" Einhorn and I went to see the premiere for House of the Dead at the San Francisco Film Festival a few years ago. When we entered the theater, a man patted me down looking for a camera.

Later, before the show started, the cast called the director Uwe Boll to the front of the stage. Upon seeing Boll, I turned to Stealy and loudly proclaimed, "Hey, that's the cat that frisked me!"

Also notable was the one one-hundredth of a second that former Sega president Peter "Roger" Moore stood up for when he was acknowledged by Boll. And then there was a laser battle!

MC Safety

I was hoping there was more to this, but all I could find was a link to your post in 2005

Yeah, there's really not any more to the story. House of the Dead was amusing, Peter Moore was embarrassed, and Uwe Boll didn't find any recording equipment on me.

I just wanted to chime in about Ethan. He's awesome, and any podcast would be lucky to tap into his expertise.

(Although one time he did try to start a conversation with me when we were sitting in adjacent stalls in the bathroom of the Ziff Davis offices. It was just Ethan being Ethan, but I did have to tell him that hey! maybe this could wait until we had concluded our business. )

stewy

Yeah, there's really not any more to the story. House of the Dead was amusing, Peter Moore was embarrassed, and Uwe Boll didn't find any recording equipment on me.

I just wanted to chime in about Ethan. He's awesome, and any podcast would be lucky to tap into his expertise.

(Although one time he did try to start a conversation with me when we were sitting in adjacent stalls in the bathroom of the Ziff Davis offices. It was just Ethan being Ethan, but I did have to tell him that hey! maybe this could wait until we had concluded our business. )

hah! That last bit doesn't surprise me in the least :)

SPECIAL: The 568.5 Lunchcast

After we recorded episode 568 live from Scoopfest '17, we hopped in an Uber and went to over to Bally's on the Las Vegas Strip and had lunch at Giordano's, a Chicago deep dish pizza joint. And as we did our lunchtime thing, we recorded the whole conversation and are now posting it as a bonus episode of the podcast. Ambient noise and all. Please enjoy this Patreon-supported bonus episode.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/lunchcast_special.mp3
Blog:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube:

SuperPac

Not sure how many P1 listeners were also Lunchcast listeners, but - this was a fun show style to do. Hopefully the background noise won't turn too many people off. I did keep waiting for the server to ask about the microphone on the table, but he didn't.

SickBoy

The fact that it's at Giordano's seems like a nice throwback -- wasn't one of the other Lunchcast-style episodes from way back when recorded at one in the Chicago area?

SuperPac

The fact that it's at Giordano's seems like a nice throwback -- wasn't one of the other Lunchcast-style episodes from way back when recorded at one in the Chicago area?

Yes, there is an episode around Christmas time 2007 or 08 that was recorded at a Giordano's in Illinois.

dc89

Since changing my job (I spend a lot of time driving now) I've got back into listening to the show and have listened for the past few months now.
Prior to this I didn't listen forma few years, Ethan is new to me if that makes sense, he wasn't on the show last time I listened.

Still loving Phil's 'characters'.

I worked late yesterday and was super tired going into the office this morning and seeing lunch cast on the feed made me super happy on my drive. Hope announcer guy and sooch are doing good. (I forgot the other guy's name)

Episode 570: I Think We've All Been Playing This

This week! Microsoft/Turn 10 apologize to VIP members and make changes in Forza 7, Nintendo increases Switch production, the SNES Mini is still awesome, Cuphead is hard but fair, and we reminisce about Game Genie codes. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/10_10_17-Episode570.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/570
Youtube: https://youtu.be/LUM66o4Os-c

Top Bottom