• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Uncertain For E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
BlueSummers said:
Can someone translate please? :D

I'll do my best!

Famitsu Interview said:
--At Microsoft's presentation、the crowd got more excited the instant that the Xbox360 version of FFXIII was announced than they did for any other title. How did you react after finishing the presentation?

Hashimoto: Among the titles with that kind of notoriety, FFXIII received the greatest cheers, so I felt a truly great response.

Kitase: We weren't able to show any new images so I was a little nervous before the presentation, but I was relieved at everyone's reaction.

--This is a basic confirmation, but your presentation this time was aimed at the U.S. and European market, so you decided to sell FFXIII not just on the Playstation, but on the 360 as well, right?

Hashimoto: Precisely.

--Are you really not going to sell the 360 version in Japan?

Hashimoto: We have no intention to do so whatsoever.

--In that case, why not sell a 360 version of FFXIII Versus? Also, have there been any changes in the direction of the development of Agito XIII, or any other points of change?

Hashimoto: None at all. There has been no change to the plan, and we will release Versus XIII only on the PS3. I think it would be best to think of them separately. There has been no change to our plan for Agito XIII, either. As far as Versus XIII goes, Director Tetsuya Nomura is investing all of his energy into its development, and it will still be a PS3 exclusive.

--I'd like to hear once more the reasoning and story behind coming to sell the PS3 and 360 versions of FFXIII only in the U.S. and Europe.

Hashimoto: Well, it's a fact that the American market, or the market of English-speaking countries has grown vastly, and we receive such strong solicitation from the users in those regions. I don't think we can ignore that. Thus, our presentation.

Kitase: After looking at these conditions, I consulted with Director Motomu Toriyama, and ultimately I made the decision.

--Is there any difference in the respective content of the PS3 and 360 versions? I mean, I know that the 360 has its "Achievements" system, but...

Kitase: There may be some slight differences when it comes to such a small level as "Achievements," but no real difference in form. There is no advantage nor disadvantage to either version.

--In the past, the FF series had also developed "International Versions." There wouldn't be any chance of the 360 version being sold in Japan in such a form, would there? How does that sound?

Hashimoto: You're rather hasty. *laughs* FFXIII itself isn't complete yet. There's such plan at all.

--How is the release schedule?

Hashimoto: First, we'll release the PS3 version in Japan. Then we'll release the PS3 and 360 versions simultaneously in the U.S., followed shortly after by the release of the PS3 and 360 versions in Europe. However, we would like to make the timespan between the Japanese release and the U.S.-European release as short as possible.

Kitase: Rather than porting to the 360, I'd like to purely translate and localize the Japanese version and advance operations faster than they have been up to this point. It's undecided how many languages we will support, but the FF has always used English, Italian, Spanish, French, and German, so I think of that as standard.

--The media format on the PS3 and 360 is fundamentally different. The data capacity varies greatly, so is it possible that the number of discs will vary between versions, or that one version's graphical quality will suffer?

Kitase: Really, nothing is set at all yet, but we will probably take a direction that allows for change in the number of discs. We intend to allow as little difference as possible in terms of graphical quality and other aspects of the game content.

--So do you picture releasing the game in Japan, North America, and Europe in the same fiscal year?

Hashimoto: As far as release dates are concerned, that's something we'll start discussing once we've completed FFXIII on the PS3.

Kitase: Above all, completing the Japanese version on the PS3 as fast as possible is our first priority. After that we'll be porting and localizing the game, so, in truth, we don't actually have a release date for North America and Europe yet. We've really only just started work on the 360 version, so it's hard to gauge the development at the moment.

--This presentation was truly aimed at your U.S.-European fans, wasn't it?

Hashimoto: I suppose it was. All the more reason that we presented it at E3.

--Would you say that next month's ”DKΣ3713” is aimed at your Japanese fans?

Kitase: I can't say anything at the moment, but I hope you will all look forward to it. *laughs*

Basically, no Versus XIII on 360.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
clashfan said:
What if the reason for the delay is because it's becoming a 360 exclusive?
After seeing the PS3 version outsell the 360 version of FFXIII pretty well I doubt this is the case. I hope it's for some awesome feature we haven't even though of or an extremely refined battlesystem.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
InfiniteNine said:
After seeing the PS3 version outsell the 360 version of FFXIII pretty well I doubt this is the case. I hope it's for some awesome feature we haven't even though of or an extremely refined battlesystem.

The main reason they're not showing the game right now, and this is just my theory... it's not coming out this year. Square seems really focused on promoting their 2010 titles, which is why FF14, Kingdom Hearts BBS, and their Eidos titles have had center attention, while games like Agito/Versus/3rd Birthday remain in the dark. This theory is definitely supported by what Nomura said back at the end of March about how he was being told to keep quiet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kagari said:
The main reason they're not showing the game right now, and this is just my theory... it's not coming out this year. Square seems really focused on promoting their 2010 titles, which is why FF14, Kingdom Hearts BBS, and their Eidos titles have had center attention, while games like Agito/Versus/3rd Birthday remain in the dark. This theory is definitely supported by what Nomura said back at the end of March about how he was being told to keep quiet.
Well that would make a lot of sense as well, but it gives the game some extra refinement time so I'm okay with a 2011 release. I just hope they get a little bit more loose with the Versus media/info sometime near the end of this year.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
InfiniteNine said:
Well that would make a lot of sense as well, but it gives the game some extra refinement time so I'm okay with a 2011 release. I just hope they get a little bit more loose with the Versus media/info sometime near the end of this year.

In typical Square fashion, I expect it to stay dark until a few months before release at this rate... looking back even last year at Kingdom Hearts... no info all year until September or whatever it was, then released in January after a few months of media blowout.

The one thing that I don't understand is that a full year has passed basically and it feels like Nomura keeps saying they are still adjusting the world map or now they have airships flying over the map.

WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING ALL THIS TIME? They already have more knowledge on crystal tools so that wont take up their time and all the staff that moved to help finish XIII are back in full force on Versus. If there was one game I wish I could see footage of development on it would be this game because it seems like one big mystery.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kagari said:
In typical Square fashion, I expect it to stay dark until a few months before release at this rate... looking back even last year at Kingdom Hearts... no info all year until September or whatever it was, then released in January after a few months of media blowout.
I hope not. ): This information drought on Versus is killing me.

Aeana

We probably know even less about 3rd Birthday than Versus, but Wada insists it's coming out this year. SE will definitely have some big title for the end of the year, and between Versus/Agito/3rd Birthday, 3rd Birthday is the best bet anyway, since Tabata also said that Agito isn't quite ready yet just recently.

miladesn said:
two more victims...
Not really. I'm just saying being a multiplatform gamer is amazing. I don't care where Versus goes. If its on the Wii, then I'll get a Wii I guess. Of course that is if Versus is actually good.

Kyoufu

Rahxephon91 said:
Not really. I'm just saying being a multiplatform gamer is amazing. I don't care where Versus goes. If its on the Wii, then I'll get a Wii I guess. Of course that is if Versus is actually good.

Being a bad game didn't stop you from getting FFXIII...

Sacha

ULTROS! said:
Hmmm... I thought One Goal Spirit is another PS3 exclusive from Nomura? :p

Some people believed that "One goal spirit" was a game (and the rumour spread all over the internet) because of a mistranslation from the interview Masked Man translated. Hashimoto said that they were keeping Versus XIII only on PS3, and something like "Nomura and his team are concentrating towards a single goal (a single version of the game)". That was the "one goal spirit", it wasn't a game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sacha said:
Some people believed that "One goal spirit" was a game (and the rumour spread all over the internet) because of a mistranslation from the interview Masked Man translated. Hashimoto said that they were keeping Versus XIII only on PS3, and something like "Nomura and his team are concentrating towards a single goal (a single version of the game)". That was the "one goal spirit", it wasn't a game.

Ah yeah, that's right. Can't remember what interview that's from though.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/30/versus_xiii_and_ffvii_remake/

Our latest update on things that begin with "Final Fantasy" comes from Korean game site Gameshot by way of Japanese Square Enix fan site FF Reunion.

To commemorate the launch of Final Fantasy XIII in Korea, Square Enix held a roundtable interview session with FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama, FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase, and Square Enix chief Twitter person Shinji Hashimoto on the 28th. FF Reunion translated just a couple of pertinent bits and pieces from the Korean language transcript that was posted at Gameshot.

Regarding FFXIII sister project Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the staff said "It's taking some time, but development is progressing well. We plan on showing it at the appropriate time. We have the FFXIII localization and FFXIV, so I believe it will come after that."

The staff was asked its usual question about a Final Fantasy VII remake. Kitase responded: "We've gotten this question a lot from many countries (laughs). To make FFXIII at this level of quality, it took us 3 to 4 years. If we were to make FFVII in the same style of FFXIII, it would take 10 times as long, so it would be difficult to take it up immediately. However, we always keep in mind how often this is requested."

There seems to be quite a bit more in the original interview so those with Korean ability should check it out.

Looks like they're more concerned with FF14 at this point for sure... as far as game promotion goes.

Does anyone else belly laugh because he said it would take him 30-40 YEARS to make FF7 with 13 graphics? Since they have then engine in place I doubt it would take more than 30 months unless they changed some major things.

Sacha

Leviathin25 said:
Does anyone else belly laugh because he said it would take him 30-40 YEARS to make FF7 with 13 graphics? Since they have then engine in place I doubt it would take more than 30 months unless they changed some major things.

He's saying that so that people will not expect a remake anymore and will be completely shocked when they reveal it in a couple of years ! Square Enix will then say that it was thanks to the numerous requests they received from fans across the globe that they ultimately decided to do it. Then the fans will have only themselves to blame when they play the game and find that Square Enix didn't remake it the way they wanted to because they pushed too hard for it. And rage will ensue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
Looks like they're more concerned with FF14 at this point for sure... as far as game promotion goes.
It makes sense really. That MMO is going to make them a ton of money even if they can only get a very modest number of subscribers. Versus XIII could distract a lot from that.

But yeah the way they're talking I'd be surprised to see anything more than a rehash of that same trailer again, if they even show that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nirolak said:
It makes sense really. That MMO is going to make them a ton of money even if they can only get a very modest number of subscribers. Versus XIII could distract a lot from that.

But yeah the way they're talking I'd be surprised to see anything more than a rehash of that same trailer again, if they even show that.

Most definitely.
FF14 will likely be out before the end of the Fall anyway, and that'll come up pretty quick. Can't believe it's already June almost...

Kyoufu

I fear the downgrades will be monumental.

Nomura already scrapped the old-school overworld. A 360 port would just be the Godzilla of downgrades!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kyoufu said:
I fear the downgrades will be monumental.

Nomura already scrapped the old-school overworld. A 360 port would just be the Godzilla of downgrades!

Overworld isn't scrapped.

StuBurns

Banned
At this point, as much as I think it should come to other platforms, I'm just so gagging to see it. I really really hope for a March release at the latest.

And I'm stunned it was Kitase's call to bring FFXIII to 360, pretty awesome Square give their team leads that kind of business control.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
StuBurns said:
At this point, as much as I think it should come to other platforms, I'm just so gagging to see it. I really really hope for a March release at the latest.
March 6 release! Best birthday ever~!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
And I'm stunned it was Kitase's call to bring FFXIII to 360, pretty awesome Square give their team leads that kind of business control.

Nomura probably has similar control over Versus then.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
I was wondering about that, because Nomura is the Versus director, Kitase is the XIII producer, Shinji Hashmoto is the Versus producer, so it might be his call. However, whenever anyone is interviewed about the games, it is almost always Nomura for Versus and Kitase for XIII, so they might be the 'top dogs' of their respective titles. That being the case, I could see it being Nomura's call.

Kagari said:

I suspect that he's very much like Kojima when he's directing a game. Complete control. I mean, the team he has assembled for Versus XIII is pretty mind blowing. I think Versus will surprise all of us.

Wazzim

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I suspect that he's very much like Kojima when he's directing a game. Complete control. I mean, the team he has assembled for Versus XIII is pretty mind blowing. I think Versus will surprise all of us.
Would confirm awesomeness.

I just want it to be released damn it, Noctis is so cool.

Aeana

StuBurns said:
Think Kitase was lying? Possible.
I don't necessarily think he was lying, but it was more complicated than he let on, for sure. Keep in mind that to even release FF9 on PSN, it had to pass the board recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom