• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth to include 1:1 scale rendition of the original world map

man, this sounds so sick. i hope that card game is addicting, fun and challenging like triple triad. that's awesome you can play it at any time. this game is going to be so damn good. Affection system is cool especially for the GS part. Excited for new materia and the dual techs (forget the exact name they mentioned)

sigmaZ

Nice to have some hype for a REAL Final Fantasy
Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

Barakov

Kumomeme

Great. This is going to be more like Final Fantasy 14, but without the zone loading. It is all one big zone that is streamed in.

More like the scale of an MMO. I was hoping that they did this.

Now, will we be able to go back to Midgar? I assume it is locked off or you are limited to a small part of it.

I bet they are using FF14's or FF15's engine for this.
they use UE4/5

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Gutted. I appear to have misplaced (deleted it like a twat more like) my 100% save from the first instalment. Fucked if I’m playing it all again.

Pejo

Hopefully there's lots of cool monuments, interactive events, and challenging enemies. Hopefully it's not just blank space to pad playtime.

But I'd rather them have it than NOT have it I guess.

ergem

It's 150gb

No, they are using UE4, UE5 is too new.
Are you sure though? Didn’t epic say those who were using ue4 in 2020 can easily transition and bring their work over to ue5?

The abundance of rocks and details tell me they could be using nanite, but I don’t know.

Lethal01

Are you sure though? Didn’t epic say those who were using ue4 in 2020 can easily transition and bring their work over to ue5?
The abundance of rocks and details tell me they could be using nanite, but I don’t know.

Epic made unreal engine 5, ofcourse they will promote it, not saying that it isn't easier to port than going between completely unrelated engine and it's also easier than going from UE3 to UE5.

But even going from UE5 to UE5.1 can cause significant issues, and switching engines for a game of this scale is guaranteed to cause issues, They may simply not wanna take the risk and find out that it adds a year to their dev time along with massive performance issues..

Oh, but yeah they said it was UE4 in some japanese interview, customized ofcourse, as with part 1.

Boy bawang

So an open world? Cool I guess, but hardly something impressive by today's standards. I'm not sure I understand all the excited soyjack reactions here.

Lethal01

So an open world? Cool I guess, but hardly something impressive by today's standards. I'm not sure I understand all the excited soyjack reactions here.

It's open world with a world, story and combat I actually care about.
I played Assassins creed 1 because it was open world and impressive but everything else about it didn't really interest me, same goes for MANY open world games.

It's like hearing that you just won a lifetime supply of raisins vs a years supply of pizza.

Same thing goes for graphics in general, if a franchise I actually care about was always had ps1 graphics but a sequel came out with ps3 graphics I'd still be ecstatic.

E-Cat

No need to use UE5. The consoles aren't capable of using if full feature set without compromises.
Imagine an UE5 Part 3 on PS6.

Though if they stick to the release cadence, Part 3 will probably be cross-gen.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I don’t get why “seamless” is a good thing in this case. The cool thing about old school JRPGs with a world map was that they created the illusion of being a big globe-spanning adventure. It’s a good thing that Kalm and the Chocobo farm are presented in full 1:1 because that’s where the interesting shit happens, whereas we don’t need the same level of detail for every inch of grassland in-between.

Not to mention, the more “in-between” terrain they add, the more they’re going to try to fill that area with stuff to do in order to justify it. Open-world game design usually sucks, and Square-Enix definitely sucks at it.

Guess we’ll see how it turns out, but 99% chance they’re just going to fill it with bullshit busywork.
That’s a pretty good point. It’s kind of a Skyrim problem where in reality most towns were at most 5 min horse run from each other (ok, maybe a bit more).

Now Bethesda managed to hide that pretty welll with plenty of distractions, but I am skeptical of SE being able to do that. A more hub based system with a “world map” that you fly over in an airship could provide a greater sense of scale.

All that said, still looking forward to the game.

NahaNago

The scale of the world is what I was most worried about. I'd like to travel a good distance between towns and cities with tons to do in between. I also need to see how dense the towns and cities are. While FF7 had tons of npcs around the town it felt really closed off since you couldn't enter the buildings or explore that much. Hopefully we have less prop buildings just to make the environment look good and instead actually have tons of buildings we can actually walk around in.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Gutted. I appear to have misplaced (deleted it like a twat more like) my 100% save from the first instalment. Fucked if I’m playing it all again.
You only need a save file from Remake and Intigrade, it could be 5 seconds in and it will still count for the bonus content in Rebirth.

Litterally start the game, get to the first checkpoint and call it a day if that’s what your worried about.

I’m going to do a 3rd play-through in January to line up with the February launch.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
man, this sounds so sick. i hope that card game is addicting, fun and challenging like triple triad. that's awesome you can play it at any time. this game is going to be so damn good. Affection system is cool especially for the GS part. Excited for new materia and the dual techs (forget the exact name they mentioned)

Triple triad energy right here:
scratching chappelles show GIF

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its an abstraction no matter how they do it. The traditional world map offers little interesting gameplay but provided an incredible sense of scale and exploration. This is just FFXII field zones with seamless loading, which I am also fine with.

saintjules

Given that we will meet Vincent and he will be unplayable (like Red was in the previous entry), I doubt we will reach Cid in this adventure. I think they are saving that for the next game.

However it's confirmed The Tiny Bronco is in the game. No way you'd see that without Cid? But on the other hand his whole story before he joins the party is a bit grandiose. Tough to say I guess.

Pagusas

Elden Member
However it's confirmed The Tiny Bronco is in the game. No way you'd see that without Cid? But on the other hand his whole story before he joins the party is a bit grandiose. Tough to say I guess.
They could change the story a bit and have Cid stay behind in Rocket Town after the Tiny Bronco scene and then in Game 3 when its time to actually launch the Rocket, thats when you re-meetup with him and he becomes a permanent party member. I wouldn;t like that change, but its possible.

But given that Cid becomes the party lead for a short time when chasing Huge Materia, I think they'll find a way to incorporate his character well in part 2, so its not so much a leap in part 3 when he takes over.

The game looks fantastic, combat seems really fun and an evolution of the first part. I'm looking forward to play this next year.

However this world map is clearly not a 1-1 scale of the original map, and I think people need to keep their expectations in check if they think it will be. What I think Hamaguchi meant (and I don't know if this is mistranslation or what), is that everything (from dungeons, cities...) in the original game will be included in the open world map. But from the images and videos, everything appears to be a lot closer together than the original because the scale is different. I honestly think this change is for the best in the remake, but I can already imagine some people complaining that the world feels too small.

Watching the buzz online about this game and the TGS gameplay demo, it really feels to me like the next-gen FF that everyone cares about and wants was/is the FFVII Remake series, not FF XVI. That game really seemed to disappoint and fizzle in comparison, not to mention the scale and scope was much smaller than Rebirth.

And there’s still a whole other third game to go, which by definition has to exceed Rebirth in length and size given it has to include ~half of the original game.

Last edited:
If you had told me, 10 years ago, that we would get a FFVII remake of this magnitude, I would have laughed out loud...
At this point, I simply hope that Square will succeed in reclaiming its status as an exceptional publisher.

The first continent does look a little condensed, so I got bored and decided to add some scale. You honestly can't compare it to the OG as you were literally a 1000FT tall avatar traveling vast distances in a matter of seconds. If we could get anything more in terms of marketing from square, I would like it to be a world map. The trailer that got released for Summer Games Fest, there was a segment with Yuffie that showed a waypoint on the HUD at a distance of 11,000 meters.

Unsure if that marker was on another continent or not, but I imagine they could add 20-30K meters of ocean between the continents to make future travelling by Highwind actually useful.

Anyways, I am kind of impressed by how large this is in comparison to Remake, my only gripe at the moment, is that the continent does not resemble OG's map, or the world map from FF7 Ever Crisis, however, I am still holding out final judgment until I can see the scale of Midgar and what the rest of the continent looks like.

IJHhOkP.jpg

Last edited:

Boneless

Remake really seems designed for those who know the original. There are scenes designed to surprise those who are familiar with the original story, plus some characters (Aerith, Marlene, those fate ghost things) seem to have some memory of the events from the original game. So nah I don’t think you’d be spoiling anything by playing the original. Instead it would let you experience the remake the way they intended it.

That said, yeah the original has some pretty braindead turn-based combat and is very easy, especially if you put the slightest amount of thought into your materia setup. Definitely better with auto-battle and fast forward.

I like FF7R, but the combat is a lot more braindead than the original in terms of needing to get creative with your approach. The materia system and the combinations you can make in the original are excellent.

Zheph

I like FF7R, but the combat is a lot more braindead than the original in terms of needing to get creative with your approach. The materia system and the combinations you can make in the original are excellent.
Have you tried hard mode?

Top Bottom