• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Kirbyguy said:
I want to see this in 3D nonetheless. For those who've played enough of OoT3D, what areas should we keep in mind to view in 3D. I only recall jumping off the Waterfall in Zora's Domain.
For sure. It's not an abomination. Definitely something you want to turn off and on. I suggest that ratio being more off to on however.

Tailzo

I guess I'm coming at another angle than most people in this thread.

When OoT ws released, I remember trying it at a store and thinking it looked blurry and foggy. But I heard everyone raving about it. Fast forward to Zelda WW. My then GF, now wife had told me she finished Zelda OoT 6 times, so I bought WW to her, and it had the disc with OoT on it too. I tried to play it, but I found the framerate to be dsitracting.

I did enjoy WW a lot though, but I never went back to OoT.

Now I'm buying OoT 3D, and I'm hopeful that I'll like it. My wife has also promised to help me if I'm ever stuck.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
shadyspace said:
That Eurogamer review was astoundingly well written (even more so for something coming from games journalism) but I could not disagree with him more on the motion controls. They're useless at best and get in the way of gameplay at worst.

The 3D doesn't do much for me either, though I've warmed up to it some having gone through Inside the Deku Tree but the trade-off still isn't worth it for the loss of AA
I couldn't disagree more on the motion controls ;)

It took me 1mn to get used to it, it's so fluid, and I haven't run into a fight where I struggled because of it. I also us the circle pad only while playing train obviously.

AA does make the game look better in lots of places (villages for instance), but then you lose the extra field vision, as well as the 3D envelop that adds a lot to the atmosphere.
Zelda in 3D for me :)

wrowa

Brandon F said:
Framerate drops in 2d vs. 3d?

How is framerate anyway?
30fps, no reported fps differences between 2D and 3D.

The 2D mode has AA while the 3D mode has not, though.

shadyspace said:
You can but you if you have motion-enabled you get shake that goes along with that you're constantly fighting.

So its possible to not be bothered with it then? Great! I hate when I'm not given a option especially when there are buttons to provide one (*cough Zelda games on DS cough*)

Teknoman

TheBanditKing said:
So its possible to not be bothered with it then? Great! I hate when I'm not given a option especially when there are buttons to provide one (*cough Zelda games on DS cough*)

I'd be surprised if they forced you to use motion controls, seeing that it's a remake of a game that made use of a single stick.

malingenie said:
You only got a ps2 for one game?

you did it wrong
indeed.

If there was ever a console you should have bought more than one game for in the history of videogames, it'd be the PS2.

DJ88

I'm so glad that the 19th is almost here. I've been dying to play this game forever, and not just this 3D version, I've been dying to play OoT period. I never owned a 64 and never got around to playing one of the multiple re releases.

The only short play time I've had was with my cousin's copy when I was a kid. Seeing that game when the only games I had played prior were 2D marios made OoT seem like the most enormous, epic, giant of a game. I'll finally get my chance to play through it and all the reviews saying this version is the best ever is raising my hype even more.

Teknoman

StickSoldier said:
My fucking hype level is through the roof. It's been 3 months since I've bought a damn 3DS game. I still can't believe the lack of games that the 3DS has had since it's been released, but at least it's starting to look like a better future for us owners.

Two this month. Zelda and Resident Evil. There have been other games, just not sure if they were good (Blazblue).

Just ordered a 3DS and this, I am a weak weak man.

I've never gotten that far in the original due to the eyesore graphics so everything starting from the second dungeon is going to be fresh to me, though.

liger05

Game said my Zelda shipped yesterday but I knew it was too good to be true. come in from work and as expected its not here. Fuck u GAME.

Reknoc

Well I was going to wait a bit longer to get a 3DS but nope. Couldn't stand the thought of a Zelda being out and I can't play it, even if I've already played and completed it numerous times (though never got further than the third dungeon in Master Quest). Thankfully though they're only £150 in GAME.

Garryk

malingenie said:
You only got a ps2 for one game?

you did it wrong

GTA3 was the reason I bought the PS2. I ended up buying more games later... like Vice City and San Andreas. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Major cutscenes and even some minor cinematics should be awesome.
Navi's introductory fly-through before waking Link up.
Shooting at the sun in Lake Hylia.
Exploring the Kokiri Village and surrounding forests, what with all of the floating particles and streams.
The Master Sword/teleportation cinematics.
Oooh, the twisting of the Forest Temple hallways!
And likely tons more that I've forgotten.

Should have my copy on Friday, here in NYC.

juanpablo

Banned
So there I was, minding my own business in the kitchen making a sandwich. Next thing I know I'm stopped dead in my tracks, a familiar haunting melody fills the room and is emanating from the television. It takes a moment for my critical faculties to put a name on it, what is this enchanting melody which i know so well? as I glance towards the TV it all becomes clear, some of the sounds of my teenage years are on it in a television advert, Zelda OoT is on the 3ds.

I have to get it.

Plus its been 13 years since the original? cripes I suddenly feel so old.

rhino4evr

juanpablo said:
So there I was, minding my own business in the kitchen making a sandwich. Next thing I know I'm stopped dead in my tracks, a familiar haunting melody fills the room and is emanating from the television. It takes a moment for my critical faculties to put a name on it, what is this enchanting melody which i know so well? as I glance towards the TV it all becomes clear, some of the sounds of my teenage years are on it in a television advert, Zelda OoT is on the 3ds.

I have to get it.

Plus its been 13 years since the original? cripes I suddenly feel so old.
Lol..it's been 25 years since the first Zelda..I actually am old. I remember seeing the original Zelda commercial on TV..and wondering what the hell it was.

rhino4evr said:
Lol..it's been 25 years since the first Zelda..I actually am old. I remember seeing the original Zelda commercial on TV..and wondering what the hell it was.

Was it that one commercial where that guy (Link?) was running around yelling "ZELDA!" and naming off all the badies?

Found it!

rhino4evr

DownWithTheShip said:
Was it that one commercial where that guy (Link?) was running around yelling "ZELDA!" and naming off all the badies?

Found it!
Yeah..that was it. I remember it specifically because we were at Disney World..and saw the commericial in our Hotel room...I was like "mom buy me that!!!"..and she said," that looks too weird"

mileS

The Eurogamer review was great. It's kind of refreshing to read a well written review for a change. I can't wait to play this for the first time!

The amazing thing for me is that the Zelda franchise as a whole is so old and yet the quality of the games continues to impress.

I know people have their issues with certain entries, but I think each one has something to appreciate.

And now with Skyward Sword, it looks like we could get a great swan song for the Wii.

This is why I will always buy Nintendo systems, even if it goes into second-console status: their games, over the lifetime of a system, are worth it.

In fact, it's crazy that all three of their major IPs made the transition into 3D so successfully - Mario went from side-scroller to Mario 64 and was a breakthrough (and then reinvented itself as Mario Galaxy). Zelda went from overhead to OoT is still considered one of the finest games in gaming history. Metroid went from 2D exploration to FPS (or FPA haha I remember those debates) and put everyone's fears to rest.

Here's to 25 more years of Zelda. :)

rhino4evr

I remember when I saw that shiny gold cartridge for the first time, my eyes pretty much lit up with joy. Brilliant Marketing move..all the kids in the neighborhood had to play it, because of the cartridge alone.

crisdecuba said:
Here's to 25 more years of Zelda. :)

Cheers to that. *raises glass*

I can say with absolute certainty that the many years of great Zelda adventures are one of, if not THE prime reason I found my way into being a game developer. They sure give me inspiration in my work all the time.

ksamedi

Bought it today and and came in to tell that it's awesome. I like the smooth framerate in particular. And playing with headphones is amazing. Really loving the surround sound. The 3D is nice as well, especially in Hyrule field. It makes it look way bigger then I remembered.

Now, up to the second dungeon.

Chairhome

DownWithTheShip said:

Found it!
apparently posted by a GAF member? www.gaming-age.com is in the bottom of the frame.

I really am trying not to buy this game, I have too many games to be revisiting this title. But man, I never played Master Quest.

Fuck all you people in America getting this early. The Targets in my area have people like me working in electronics, so I'm not able to convince them to get a copy out of the stockroom.

COME AT ME SUNDAY

iyox

Anyone have luck at Target today? It appeared most in my area did not actually have the game in stock yet. Besides the one store with the uber nerd, I probably could have snagged a copy if it was in.

The game has some SS references...

J05n7.jpg

rhino4evr

I would give up the Target dream as the SkU has been updated in the computer inventory..so they can't sell it even if they try.

The people that got it, got lucky and bought it before Target had flagged the system.

rhino4evr said:
I would give up the Target dream as the SkU has been updated in the computer inventory..so they can't sell it even if they try.

The people that got it, got lucky and bought it before Target had flagged the system.
We didn't get lucky. We put in the effort.

Big One

Banned
I hope all of those cameos aren't just art of SS Link. Would love to see more SS characters that we haven't seen before.

kodt

Banned
Garryk said:
GTA3 was the reason I bought the PS2. I ended up buying more games later... like Vice City and San Andreas. :p

hah, me too. It was my first non-Nintendo system.

I was so blown away after playing it at a friends house that I went out and bought a PS2 and GTA3.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Tempted to take the plunge on the 3DS with this, but I'll wait a few more months I think.

Top Bottom