• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

RoKKeR

Messed around a bit with the saturation:

desaturated (less crazy red on the left)

pn0Mnce.jpg

That's great, thanks again.

antigoon

I don't like them THAT shiny, but there's something about the idea of the Spartans looking like plastic toy figures that really appeals to me. I think it's just more "gamey" and takes itself a little less seriously, while still looking really cool. I love how the H2A Chief looks for that reason.

Yeah, me too. Especially if multiplayer is supposed to be a combat simulation or whatever Infinity is. Why wouldn't everything look new?

I don't like them THAT shiny, but there's something about the idea of the Spartans looking like plastic toy figures that really appeals to me. I think it's just more "gamey" and takes itself a little less seriously, while still looking really cool. I love how the H2A Chief looks for that reason.

I completely agree Kittens. It's what always appealed to me in the original H2 and H3.

Madness

Frank, if you're reading this, the weathering and texturing is fine, but please don't wash out the colours and make red look like pastel orange again. I really love how bright and dominant that red and blue looks. It's fine if you tone down the shinyness, but the color that pops really looks amazing!

BigShow36

Models look great, but I really, really just hope the overall gameplay (speed, strafe, kill speed) is increased. I'm so tired of slow, plodding Halo games.

Impala26

Models look great, but I really, really just hope the overall gameplay (speed, strafe, kill speed) is increased. I'm so tired of slow, plodding Halo games.

Wait, aren't you the guy who always basically says:

"Halo CE >>>>> All Other Halo games"

You know, the Halo game with what's probably the SLOWEST movement speed?
(I guess the kill times with the OG pistol are really fast, but that makes even LESS sense to me in conjunction with how slow player movement speed is)

Karl2177

(I guess the kill times with the OG pistol are really fast, but that makes even LESS sense to me in conjunction with how slow player movement speed is)

CE has the fastest move speed, Reach has the slowest.

BigShow36

Speed is a function of more than just basic movement. In all honesty, the movement speed could be slower, faster, or exactly the same, I don't know. Other variables (even something as benign seeming as FOV) can have a dramatic effect on how fast a game plays and feels.

Madness

Hmm...

I can't say I actually know what's factually correct regarding this. It would be interesting to test all the games side-by-side. Perhaps using waypoints with distance markers and a stopwatch?

Pretty sure it goes CE>2>3>Reach in terms of base movement speed. But Reach has sprint which is the outlier. CE also has some of the fastest strafe speed and killtimes too.

Impala26

Also going to echo this sentiment.

I'd rather have my Spartans looking like superheroes in badass "comic book" armor rather than glorified spec-ops marines in realistic "gritty" powered armor. I mean... there's CoD: Advanced Warfare for the latter this holiday season right?

XD XD

Pretty sure it goes CE>2>3>Reach in terms of base movement speed. But Reach has sprint which is the outlier. CE also has some of the fastest strafe speed and killtimes too.

I will concede this a bit, now that some of my memory of CE multi is returning (it's honestly been YEARS) I do remember strafe-circle battling in CE compared to other Halo games was pretty redonk... also no "run in and double melee to win" tactics.

Madness

Doesn't 4 have the fastest movement speed?

I didn't even bring up or mention Halo 4. Chose to ignore it lol. And no, I think while it's faster than 3 and Reach, I think it's still behind Halo CE and 2. I'm not sure if I cared enough to see if the turbo update made it fastest, it also had universal sprint though.

I will concede this a bit, now that some of my memory of CE multi is returning (it's honestly been YEARS) I do remember strafe-circle battling in CE compared to other Halo games was pretty redonk... also no "run in and double melee to win" tactics.

Yep, that's why I think it was an absolute awful design decision after the "AR and Melee" tactics of H3 to introduce Sprint into the Halo sandbox. I could write an essay for reasons Halo is better without Sprint, but I'll spare everyone and just say, the fast natural movement speed sans sprint is so much better for Halo gameplay.

jem0208

I didn't even bring up or mention Halo 4. Chose to ignore it lol. And no, I think while it's faster than 3 and Reach, I think it's still behind Halo CE and 2. I'm not sure if I cared enough to see if the turbo update made it fastest, it also had universal sprint though.
I'm pretty sure it was faster than CE and 2...

Also I know you didn't bring it up. I was just thinking about it.

Yep, that's why I think it was an absolute awful design decision after the "AR and Melee" tactics of H3 to introduce Sprint into the Halo sandbox. I could write an essay for reasons Halo is better without Sprint, but I'll spare everyone and just say, the fast natural movement speed sans sprint is so much better for Halo gameplay.

Yeah the double melee spam was annoying. I didn't mind it in Halo 2 as much, because of button combos made things interesting. Double melee became risky in Halo 2 with BXR's and such. Halo 3's melee system drove me up the wall sometimes.

BigShow36

I'm pretty sure it was faster than CE and 2...

Also I know you didn't bring it up. I was just thinking about it.

Movement speed is actually one of the least important factors, aside from the extremes. The two aspects that matter to me the most are the strafe acceleration and the kill speed. If they can get those right, everything else falls into place.

ElRenoRaven

Like I said in the gaming side thread. Other than the shiny plastic look they look great. Course I'm sure the shiny and plastic look will be toned down since they've pretty much said as much. Vast improvement from Halo 4. Papa wants without a doubt.

jem0208

Movement speed is actually one of the least important factors, aside from the extremes. The two aspects that matter to me the most are the strafe acceleration and the kill speed. If they can get those right, everything else falls into place.

I feel like movement speed is pretty important. In Reach it felt like you were crawling along..

Also with regards to kill speed, that pretty fast in Halo 4 as well.

RowdyReverb

I've been on call for the past 2 days and am finally catching up on all I missed. Need to watch that ViDoc asap.
I kind of like the plastic look of the early concept armor. It makes it feel like the armor is made of that glossy NFL helmet plastic, adding to that arena-style aesthetic from the trailer. I know it's not going to stay, but something about the shininess resonated with me.

iFirez

Quick edit to make the armor slightly more dull/less-shiny and green because... you know... spartans and all that.

NbYQry.png

Really do like the look of these though.

Woorloog

Banned

Nice.
Damn. Now i can't play MWO. Oh, well, it just one hour DL.

The Mjolnir armor variant diversity is odd. I mean. i get that variants are probably quite cheap to develop in addition to the armor itself, and given the limited number of Spartans, and thus limited production of the said variants, the total costs are likely negligible compared to the total costs of the Spartan+Mjolnir programs.
But the amount of different variants by Halo 4 is staggering. Indeed there's quite many overlapping variants, some clearly competitors by different manufactures... but it seems there's the demand for them.
And the demand makes me wonder how big the Spartan IV program is, especially by the time of Halo 4. Will they replace the ODSTs and Marines completely at some point in the UNSC's ranks? (The UNSC Army is defensive organization, garrison forces and the like, and there will be need for such so they're unlikely to go away. But limited (spaceships can carry only so many) offensive forces, the Marines and ODSTs are arguably easier to replace).

As i'm a Battletech fan, i'll mention BT battle armor use for comparison. When the battle armor was still relatively new thing among the Inner Sphere, it was mostly used by special forces, elite units and the like. By the Dark Age, some 100 years later, battle armored infantry had almost replaced conventional infantry, in some cases it was even normal for it to supplement garrison forces.

VGL (a year ago~) when I went was a massive disappointment

They were like, now typically, we always play Halo music (crowd loses its shit), but there's a new game being made by Bungie, (desyiny at this point was nothing but an E3 reveal) and we'd like to treat yall to that

*insert 10 minutes of destiny music I had heard once, had no connection to, that had no videos to show during, it was just awful*

The crowd was chanting "Halo, Halo, Halo.." and we never got it. My girlfriend looked like she wanted to cry at the end, I asked her what was wrong she said, "the whole reason I bought you these tickets were because I knew you would love to hear Halo so much"

I told her at the time it was okay.

It wasn't okay you heartless asshole tallarico
I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I'm even more sorry that you posted it and not a single person commented on it to sympathize with such a tragedy. Monsters in this HaloGAF. Monsters.

Happy HALOween!

Nice.
Damn. Now i can't play MWO. Oh, well, it just one hour DL.

The Mjolnir armor variant diversity is odd. I mean. i get that variants are probably quite cheap to develop in addition to the armor itself, and given the limited number of Spartans, and thus limited production of the said variants, the total costs are likely negligible compared to the total costs of the Spartan+Mjolnir programs.
But the amount of different variants by Halo 4 is staggering. Indeed there's quite many overlapping variants, some clearly competitors by different manufactures... but it seems there's the demand for them.
And the demand makes me wonder how big the Spartan IV program is, especially by the time of Halo 4. Will they replace the ODSTs and Marines completely at some point in the UNSC's ranks? (The UNSC Army is defensive organization, garrison forces and the like, and there will be need for such so they're unlikely to go away. But limited (spaceships can carry only so many) offensive forces, the Marines and ODSTs are arguably easier to replace).

As i'm a Battletech fan, i'll mention BT battle armor use for comparison. When the battle armor was still relatively new thing among the Inner Sphere, it was mostly used by special forces, elite units and the like. By the Dark Age, some 100 years later, battle armored infantry had almost replaced conventional infantry, in some cases it was even normal for it to supplement garrison forces.

The armor diversity makes a certain sort of sense. The Spartans are now their own, distinct military branch, equal in stature (if not in size) to the Marines, serving as especially as the UNSC's special forces in its entirety. So they've basically supplemented ODSTs. But Spartans are arguable more diverse, expected to basically be able to do anything, rather than just being dedicated drop infantry, so the equipment needed will need to be correspondingly diverse and specialized. They just cost too much to really replace Marines entirely, let alone the Army, but other than that...

Am I right in assuming that if I order Halo:MCC off of the HK store (or another one that isn't the UK), I'll get it for cheaper and earlier?

Cheaper, probably, but I think they managed to score a true global release, so you'd get it at the same time regardless.

BigShow36

Quick edit to make the armor slightly more dull/less-shiny and green because... you know... spartans and all that.

NbYQry.png

Looking pretty sweet. I'm so excited to see those things sprinting around, ground-pounding and shit.

sigh.

Sephzilla

NbYQry.png

It looks so much better than Chief's Halo 4 armor and pretty much any of the Halo 4 armors in general.

Madness

NbYQry.png

Damn, is there anyone that can make that an avatar, with none of the white background though? Think that looks pretty great though.

Woorloog

Banned
The armor diversity makes a certain sort of sense. The Spartans are now their own, distinct military branch, equal in stature (if not in size) to the Marines, serving as especially as the UNSC's special forces in its entirety. So they've basically supplemented ODSTs. But Spartans are arguable more diverse, expected to basically be able to do anything, rather than just being dedicated drop infantry, so the equipment needed will need to be correspondingly diverse and specialized. They just cost too much to really replace Marines entirely, let alone the Army, but other than that...

Yeah, i guess. It is just the size of the force, plus the cost, that make wonder about the diversity. It makes sense yet it doesn't make sense. Of course, just like Battletech runs on FASAnomics (economics in BT don't make any sense), Halo likely runs on Halonomics.

I wonder if we'll ever see Mjolnir Mark VII as Halsey imagined it, with shields that can be shaped (wings, parafoils, etc.) and other neat capabilities.
No comment on how that would affect gameplay.

EDIT Halo 4 Mark VI (MP version) like shoulder pads look terrible. But whatever, i want the Chief's Halo 4 armor for Halo 5 multiplayer.

It looks so much better than Chief's Halo 4 armor and pretty much any of the Halo 4 armors in general.

Eh. I prefer Chief's 4 armor, though the lack of a highly visible undersuit in this one is a huge plus.

Looking pretty sweet. I'm so excited to see those things sprinting around, ground-pounding and shit.

sigh.

I think the ground pound could work, actually. Have it kill anyone in direct contact, strip shields in a grenade-esque radius, and deplete the user's shields as well. Risk, reward.

Yeah, i guess. It is just the size of the force, plus the cost, that make wonder about the diversity. It makes sense yet it doesn't make sense. Of course, just like Battletech runs on FASAnomics (economics in BT don't make any sense), Halo likely runs on Halonomics.

I wonder if we'll ever see Mjolnir Mark VII as Halsey imagined it, with shields that can be shaped (wings, parafoils, etc.) and other neat capabilities.
No comment on how that would affect gameplay.

EDIT Halo 4 Mark VI (MP version) like shoulder pads look terrible. But whatever, I want the Chief's Halo 4 armor for Halo 5 multiplayer.

Call it a hunch, I think we'll use something a whole lot like Halsey's Mark VII for the Locke sections. Have them really go nuts.

No way that stuff is making it into MP, tho :p

Top Bottom