• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really old games whose visuals have best stood the test of time

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
outrun.jpg

1986. 1986...!!!!!

petran79

Banned
Fiendish Freddy, a 1990 circus game. A game with serious cartoon violence but since it was on computers there was no censorship.

331998-fiendish-freddy-s-big-top-o-fun-dos-screenshot-fiendish-freddy.png

Most of my nominees have been stated so far..

I'll just add Monkey Island 2.

monkey-island-2-first-screen.jpg

Another World / Out of This World ('91)

Another_World-1.png

Out_Of_This_World_-_Amiga.png

Another World was computer magic and Eric Chahi is a genious. I wish he would make more games. I loved From Dust too. I want to play Heart of Darkness sometime.. is the PC version any good or am I better off emulating the PSX version?

Platy

The problem with the question in the op is that very few 3d games existed in 1996 .. the playstation was barely a year old at that time.... and in that first year MAYBE the first resident evil ?

And that is a big MAYBE =P

Megaman legends is 1998 ...

Sega games survie well because of animation but still

SEfGcBC.gif

3l6rNnQ.gif

e9ucddh.gif

ckLqFXH.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Command & Conquer looks pretty good for a game from 1995.

HJwg1re.jpg

EukzzDV.jpg

Using the same engine a year later Red Alert also looks good.

fi6sHKZ.gif

CHC

I guess some might not call them "really old" but I think the old CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment still look fantastic when they're played at native (or close to native) modern resolutions.

Here's Planescape, for instance:

Opa-Pa

Most 2D stuff from NES onwards holds up great unless they were super ugly games to start with, but there's something to be said about stuff ahead of its time like:

outrun.jpg

1986. 1986...!!!!!

I say goddamn. Outrun is one of my favorite games ever.

There's other 2D stuff that looked far more impressive than it had any right to as well, like, well, Chrono Trigger. The bonfire scene is so frequent in threads like this that I won't even include it, but you know what I mean.

3D games are a whole different story though. I'm quite fond of how well Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story still look to this day

Great art direction and good use of textures go a long way, I guess. I never personally played VS (I plan to) but from what I've seen it looks stunning for a PS1 game. I remember being completely blown away by MGS back when it came out though, it was nuts.

Now obviously many cartoony games from the era still look good, like Banjo Kazooie, but I feel like genuinely good visuals was harder to pull off for realistic looking games.

Mega Man Legends 2, though... Damn. Not only it's one of the best PS1 games, but it's up there with Wind Waker with one of the most timeless and pleasing looks in a 3D game ever

sphinx

the piano man
Capcom's arcade games of the late 80's, but particularly Willow

I remember going to the arcades as a kid and thinking "I can't believe how good this game looks", best looking game of its generation to me, vibrant colors, varied sceneries, looks perfect.

and it was developed in 1988, some 28.5 years ago!!

willowarcade-2.png

willowarcade-21.png

WILLOW--Willow%20USA_May10%2016_41_28.png

Professor Oak

Neo Member
Most Super Nintendo/late 2D games will always look great. It's the PSX & N-64 generation where it is now more of a rare treat when games still look great.

I recommend Sheep Dog n' Wolf
Even on the PSX the game looks good. It's a fun game to play too.
maxresdefault.jpg

I guess some might not call them "really old" but I think the old CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment still look fantastic when they're played at native (or close to native) modern resolutions.

Here's Planescape, for instance:

I was going to say the same. The Icewind Dale maps still look fantastic too.

Top Bottom