• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe it happened to me - DS snap

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Cherubae said:
I had imported my lite in the hopes of avoiding the hinge crack problem that affected the NA series, but apparently I was wrong.

That doesn't matter. I have the enamel blue import and my hinge is cracked just like all the others.

Mudhoney

If you import a DS I hope you still get a warranty. Importing to avoid a problem and not getting a warranty out of it seems mighty strange to me.

If anyone does have this problem and it is still under warranty, it should be very easy and quick to get it fixed through Nintendo. It certainly was for me and a cracked hinge.

bjork

I've had a dark blue import since right after they came out, and I have no cracks on mine. Do you open your DS all angry or something?

fernoca

Are the people replying to this, realizing that someone just bumped a thread..from..December 2006? :lol

Anyway..that outershell is kidna cool..I like d the mix in colors.. :)

Cherubae

fernoca said:
Are the people replying to this, realizing that someone just bumped a thread..from..December 2006? :lol

Well... as an update, the glue I used to stuck my corner piece back on eventually did fail. The outer casing keeps the whole thing together even without needing to glue the piece back on.

After I figured that out I smacked myself for whittling down the hinge socket to lower resistance when the screen open and closed. I could have just used the shell as a brace and not have to hold the screen to keep it from flopping down if I'm playing while laying down in bed.

Mar

Cherubae said:
if I'm playing while laying down in bed.

Pics or lying.

Also, that's a hot looking DS. First time I've seen good pictures of a light blue one.

My black import DS (bought back when you could only buy a black one from one place in the world) still has no cracks or signs of damage. It even survived Metroid Hunters which I'd imagine to be one of the best games to stress the system.

fernoca

Mar_ said:
Pics or lying.

Also, that's a hot looking DS. First time I've seen good pictures of a light blue one.

My black import DS (bought back when you could only buy a black one from one place in the world) still has no cracks or signs of damage. It even survived Metroid Hunters which I'd imagine to be one of the best games to stress the system.

Ehr..
You do know this thread is from last/early this year..

You could try sending a Private Message to the original poster..
Though, I'm interested in pics too..so maybe the OP will pass by.. :lol

Cherubae

I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays DS while in bed :p It's Pokemon on Sunday mornings while I wait for my guy to wake up.

(my keyboard is too loud and it wakes him up, but my DS is much quieter)

fernoca

Cherubae said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays DS while in bed :p It's Pokemon on Sunday mornings while I wait for my guy to wake up.

(my keyboard is too loud and it wakes him up, but my DS is much quieter)

Hehehe..
That's the thing..

-If you're girl, of course they want pics of you in your bed with your DS (without your guy)
-If you're a guy, of coruse they won't ask you for pics of you in your bed with your DS (definelty, less with your guy)

:lol

dyls

For all those that don't know, the original crack is caused by opening the DS to the second 'click', so it lies completely flat. If you only open the DS to the first click, you shouldn't have any problem. My wife's wasn't cracked for months and then she accidentally opened it all the way. She closed it, and sure enough, there was the crack.

A stupid design flaw, very surprising that it made it past Nintendo's usually very stringent testing. We're pretty rough with ours (played Planet Puzzle League against each other for nearly two hours in line for Finding Nemo Submarine Ride at Disneyland yesterday) and the crack hasn't caused any new problems. Still, an annoying defect on an otherwise nearly perfect handheld.

reggie_shrug.jpg

skybaby

dyls said:
For all those that don't know, the original crack is caused by opening the DS to the second 'click', so it lies completely flat. If you only open the DS to the first click, you shouldn't have any problem. My wife's wasn't cracked for months and then she accidentally opened it all the way. She closed it, and sure enough, there was the crack.

A stupid design flaw, very surprising that it made it past Nintendo's usually very stringent testing. We're pretty rough with ours (played Planet Puzzle League against each other for nearly two hours in line for Finding Nemo Submarine Ride at Disneyland yesterday) and the crack hasn't caused any new problems. Still, an annoying defect on an otherwise nearly perfect handheld.
There is a SECOND click?!?!

Top Bottom