• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JoeMartin said:
Don't bring that shit in this temple. Graphics aside, Crysis isn't doing anything cool for gaming. You know Mass Effect is where it's at. I would have accepted a more appropriate title, like SMG, Portal, or FE.

This game is going to be pure time sucking life absorbing sexual bliss and I can't wait for it. I really should make the effort to try and get the novel in the next week.

I assume you havent played the demo or read into the game and wrote it off as a graphics show piece.

chriskun

godhandiscen said:
Ok, let me explain, HL2 has great puzzles and atmosphere and game play elements like the gravity gun and other quirky weapons, but none of these reasons are what makes me play a shooter. I love mass scale battles with 30-40 really though enemies at once, vehicles and a smart AI shooting at me from all fronts. In HL2 I never get this. All events are scripted and its always the same fight, soldiers always showing from the same angles and always playing the same. Also, the encounters are very small and it sometimes feels like they are just there to be filler between the puzzles or test out your overpowered weapons and bring them down like flies. This is why I do not like HL2 as a shooter. I do not like it as a game at all because it is strong in the aspects of the FPS genre I care the least, but is weak in the aspects that I care the most. I hope that explanation is satisfactory.

I realized that a couple weeks ago and since then my hype started dying. I wish somebody would make something like a Halo RPG. A game with amazing battles like Halo, but with RPG elements (navigation through a world, chatting with NPC's, sidequests that are not required, etc).

MMKAYYYYYYYY, the reason why this game is so hyped is because it is an RPG made by a developer famous for making really good RPGs. Its not really hard to understand. Not your cup of tea I guess. Its funny that Halo fans want an rpg so bad when the story centers around a character that doesn't really talk at all. In fact, you never see Master Chief doing anything other than fighting, the only thing he does when he is not fighting is sleep in some sort of homeostasis chamber. I know you said "something like a Halo RPG" but come on a fast paced fps is not going to blend with an rpg game structure, the contrast between pacing is extreme.

JoeMartin said:
Don't bring that shit in this temple. Graphics aside, Crysis isn't doing anything cool for gaming. You know Mass Effect is where it's at. I would have accepted a more appropriate title, like SMG, Portal, or FE.
Its not like Mass Effect is bringing anything new to gaming either.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
oh my dear god, this game is amazing so far....wow.

I haven't really followed Mass Effect through the stages, except the occasional screenshot, but jesus christ the graphics in this game are ridiculously good... and WTF, Bioware basically created a 3rd person shooter a la GRAW, complete with cover system.

then underneath that is a deep RPG with an intriguing story and really good voice acting.

only a few hours in so far so take these impressions with a grain of salt. but whoooa, 30+ hours of this sort of bliss? who knows, maybe it'll suck in the 20th hour.

I can see myself leaving COD4 in its wrapper until I'm done with Mass Effect.

I'll post more detailed impressions once I get further into the game.

Quagm1r3

That collectors edition looks worth getting, considering I never buy CE. Maybe I'll have a first come release day.

GeneralIroh said:

Other than being possibly the first successful combination of a real-time tactical shooter and a deep RPG, built on a great dialog system. Other than that, nothing new at all...

Level design. How open is it? Please.

chespace

Subarushian said:
Other than being possibly the first successful combination of a real-time tactical shooter and deep RPG, built on a great dialog system. Other than that, nothing new at all...

Level design. How open is it?

I'm literally scratching the surface of the game. So far, it's fairly linear but I've only had a few encounters on the first intro planet. Tutorial dialogue boxes are literally still popping up.

Still, I've been really impressed with the gameplay so far. There's none of the faux action game bullshit here a la Jade Empire. This is basically a 3rd person shooter first and RPG second, with a ton of other stuff going on underneath the action, as well as the ability to pause the action and tell your party how to kick ass.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
chespace said:
oh my dear god, this game is amazing so far....wow.

I haven't really followed Mass Effect through the stages, except the occasional screenshot, but jesus christ the graphics in this game are ridiculously good... and WTF, Bioware basically created a 3rd person shooter a la GRAW, complete with cover system.

then underneath that is a deep RPG with an intriguing story and really good voice acting.

only a few hours in so far so take these impressions with a grain of salt. but whoooa, 30+ hours of this sort of bliss? who knows, maybe it'll suck in the 20th hour.

I can see myself leaving COD4 in its wrapper until I'm done with Mass Effect.

This is honestly fucking with me. GOTY?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
There's been so much gaming related fappin' lately that my my loins are starting to burn.

You're causing my loins to burn, Che. Are you happy now?

Zzoram

I'm so glad that this game is turning out great. I loved KOTOR so much and really want Mass Effect to exceed KOTOR's awesome.

chespace said:
There's none of the faux action game bullshit here a la Jade Empire. This is basically a 3rd person shooter first and RPG second, with a ton of other stuff going on underneath the action, as well as the ability to pause the action and tell your party how to kick ass.
Sold.

chespace

Zzoram said:
I'm so glad that this game is turning out great. I loved KOTOR so much and really want Mass Effect to exceed KOTOR's awesome.

KOTOR doesn't hold a dying matchstick to Mass Effect so far, simply on the merit of gameplay alone.

And then there's the graphics... fucking ridiculous!

Tieno

Zzoram said:
KOTOR was my first RPG, it'll always hold a special place as the game that took my fear and intimidation for RPGs away.

chespace said:
I'm literally scratching the surface of the game. So far, it's fairly linear but I've only had a few encounters on the first intro planet. Tutorial dialogue boxes are literally still popping up.

Still, I've been really impressed with the gameplay so far. There's none of the faux action game bullshit here a la Jade Empire. This is basically a 3rd person shooter first and RPG second, with a ton of other stuff going on underneath the action, as well as the ability to pause the action and tell your party how to kick ass.

:mad:

still getting it but I woulda preffered vice versa. But its what sells so...

xbhaskarx

Ned Flanders said:
This game will change/improve/lengthen my penis.

Fixed?

I haven't been following all the Mass Effect news since my hype level is already at maximum, so I have two questions:

1) What's with the recent criticism?

2) So I can't get the Limited Edition at Gamestop? Should I cancel my preorder and get this from Amazon?

Uncle

GeneralIroh said:

The real time dialogue system has the potential to be something really great and new, depending on the implementation.

I'm still on the fence.

I loved the KOTOR games but I could only play an hour of Jade Empire before losing interest. I'll wait on reviews and impressions from friends.

Jenga

Banned
Subarushian said:
Other than being possibly the first successful combination of a real-time tactical shooter and a deep RPG, built on a great dialog system. Other than that, nothing new at all...
that's not innovashun

also, why are we suddenly comparing games to Mass Effect? what does HL2 or Crysis have to do with anything?

dejan

Well, the time to finally jump in came sooner than expected
and actually hoped
. Now comes the part I really hate ... searching the interwebz for the best deal. Great OP btw ...

P.S. Anyone read the novel? Is it ... let's say ... at least bearable?

szaromir

Banned
dejan said:
P.S. Anyone read the book? Is it ... let's say ... at least bearable?
It's not a classic like Dune whatsoever, but it's a pretty well written novel and I was rather immersed while it lasted. It's not long though, it took me 6 hours to read it even though English is not my native language.

Xamdou

I pre ordered Mass Effect C.E last month through Gamestop.com with overnight shipping!

Mass Effect is the main reason I bought a 360 =)

szaromir said:
It's not a classic like Dune whatsoever, but it's a pretty well written novel and I was rather immersed while it lasted. It's not long though, it took me 6 hours to read it even though English is not my native language.

Yeah, it's fun. Nice insight into the world and mythology. And it shows that this is a sci-fi universe with beer, sandwiches and whorehouses.

WIN.

tak

dejan said:
P.S. Anyone read the book? Is it ... let's say ... at least bearable?
The book is great if you're into sci-fi. It does a very good job at creating a richly detailed universe and fleshing out the rules of the universe. In addition, I really enjoyed how it gives the backstory on the story we're going to see in the game Mass Effect.

However, don't go into expecting the best book in the world. It is a good popcorn flick book, not the greatest work of literature.

Uncle

dejan said:
P.S. Anyone read the novel? Is it ... let's say ... at least bearable?

I'd say it's about on par with the better Halo novels. It's an easy read and entertaining if you're interested in the Mass Effect universe.

Buggy Loop

Day freaking 1 purchase

These type of futuristic games makes me hate the fact that i'll die in 50~60 years from now and never see mankind's long space travel :(

golem

Uncle said:
I'd say it's about on par with the better Halo novels. It's an easy read and entertaining if you're interested in the Mass Effect universe.
I thought it was blandly written and predictable... Nylund's stuff is way better (although I didnt really like Ghosts either).

Top Bottom