• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archie Comics to introduce first gay character

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this what america has come too? do we really want to make it seem like its ok to be gay? what if this makes my son want to give his friend a blowjob? we are definately in the last days when the gays are gaying up wholesome american comic strips

Amalthea

Banned
That stuff's so uncanny that I expect to be attacked by demons while reading this thread.
(Guess I played to much SMT: Strange Journey today...and yesterday and the whole last week.)

G-Fex

bdizzle said:
is this what america has come too? do we really want to make it seem like its ok to be gay? what if this makes my son want to give his friend a blowjob? we are definately in the last days when the gays are gaying up wholesome american comic strips

Easy solution mister.

Blowjobs for everybody! Your son is going to work overtime.

Actually, kids DO read comics these days.

It's just that most of them read manga.

However, I regularly see Archie digests in grocery stores up near the registers. They also appear in the top 200 comics sold every month.

My guess is young girls buy them.

Piano

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
children's entertainment? I know of zero children now and for the past 20 years who have actually ever read Archie comics.
Psh, I read it as a kid. Still read one every now and again.

jaypah

i haven't bought an archie comic in years but whenever i'm on the john at my mama's house i read my old ones. that and my MAD Bathroom Companion book. i just might pick one up next time i'm at wal-mart.

WEGGLES

spindashing said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. This has to be a photoshop, this has to be a photoshop. . . .
Totally legit. I have it on my computer at home. I believe spiderman and wolverine show up too:lol

That said. Seems kinda forced... Either way... who reads Archie anymore?

And how is there only one gay dude? Sucks to be him.

I used to read the hell out of Archie comics when I was a kid. I also had some of my mom's, from the 1950s and early 60s, and those were pretty rocking.

The 'good girl' art style really worked up those pre-pubescent hormones.

Axiom

The world of Archie is perpetually 1950s, but without any trace if prejudice of discrimination. Gay or not, who'd mind spending time there?
Hell who wouldn't want to live in a 1950s that has black people, Ninja Turtles, video games, the internet and women that look like they were drawn by a legendary pin-up artist.

Indeed Archie and the gang have time traveling beanies, dimension hopping diner stools, cross country RC car races and that's just in Riverdale. You expand a bit you get mystery solving rock'n'roll bands dressed in lingerie and sexy witches. There's a reason this shit still flies in 2010, and it's because it's still comic books in the most traditional of senses. I can't think of a comic book franchise not about superheroes that is more recognised than Archie and it's nice that it still exists.

edit: It's not often my avatar gives away my bias towards a subject

Archie's my favorite comic. Don't read them as much anymore but it's lasted me almost my entire life. The new ones aren't as good though now that they've started introducing new tech into them.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
My gf picks up Archie comics sometimes and they seem like they've re-used jokes or the writer is still stuck in the 50s with old fashioned slang.

Costanza

Banned
VGChampion said:
Archie's my favorite comic. Don't read them as much anymore but it's lasted me almost my entire life. The new ones aren't as good though now that they've started introducing new tech into them.
....wow

lethial said:
My gf picks up Archie comics sometimes and they seem like they've re-used jokes or the writer is still stuck in the 50s with old fashioned slang.

I believe the way it works is that something like 75-90 % of the comic is material literally recycled from old issues, and then they add in a few 'new' stories. When I say recycled, I mean they reprint older strips. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Love archie comics. My grandma picks some new ones up every time she goes to the store and then I go through them whenever I next go over to her house. Good times.

I'm 21 years old by the way.

RevoDS

Whoompthereitis said:
I believe the way it works is that soemthing like 75-90 % of the comic is material literally recycled from old issues, and then they add in a few 'new' stories. When I say recycled, I mean they reprint older strips. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Pretty much. But since they have a hell of a huge backlog, you rarely see the same story twice (although it happens). Archies are still a guilty pleasure of mine. They're not great by any measure, but they're still entertaining from time to time. My parents used to buy those Giant issues in packs of 3 for $8 at Costco...we had so many at one point :lol

Team Betty.

Is anyone actually on Team Veronica? She's a complete bitch.

Strangely enough, I always liked Cheryl so I guess I should be the last to say that

LakeEarth

The Archie people are doing pretty much anything to get in the news. They must be getting desperate. Didn't they make a big huff over Archie getting married, and in the end they didn't even follow through?

JeTmAn81

RevoDS said:
Pretty much. But since they have a hell of a huge backlog, you rarely see the same story twice (although it happens). Archies are still a guilty pleasure of mine. They're not great by any measure, but they're still entertaining from time to time. My parents used to buy those Giant issues in packs of 3 for $8 at Costco...we had so many at one point :lol

Is anyone actually on Team Veronica? She's a complete bitch.

Strangely enough, I always liked Cheryl so I guess I should be the last to say that

I don't know how anybody could really be in favor of Archie ending up with Veronica, but if anything I would guess the average GAFer to be on Team Threesome, or perhaps Team Polygamy when it comes to Betty and Veronica.

dvdjamm

broadwayrock said:
2enyghz.jpg

Beat Off in big red letters...too obvious :lol

Combichristoffersen said:
I remember reading Archie comics as a kid in the 80s. They weren't really all that fun. That said, I found the one comic where Betty goes goth to be slightly amusing.
LOL at the line, "it was totally dismal and excellent" :lol

Anyway, I sorta have a soft spot for these comics too as I too used to read them as a kid. I still see them being sold on the racks when I'm perusing the TPBs at Borders. The last one I saw had Veronica on the cover saying something about becoming Obamas assistant :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
bdizzle said:
SausageSaga.jpg

knee

Not just white dudes in here. :lol

I got my first... uhm... taste of Archie from a garage sale.

Also, whoever said that Big Ethel would get down is probably right. :lol Also, screw Betty and Veronica, it's all about Midge. Don't tell Moose that I said that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I always thought Riverdale needed a gay guy to go shopping with Veronica and increase the overall chances for hijinks.

I buy every Archie product released each week. The digests do a lot of reprinting. But as someone else said, it's rare that you'll recognize an identical story. Sure, you might come across two instances where Archie has inadvertently made dates with Betty and Veronica on the same night and his jalopy won't crank, but there are subtle differences.

Tom Root from Robot Chicken wrote the last issue of Jughead, it was good.

Costanza said:

Haha, well, it's the one I keep going back to. Obviously I prefer reading stuff like Invincible, Walking Dead, etc... but it's like Mario games. They were my first so to me they'll always be my favorite even though I enjoy other games more.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Gaborn said:
THIS. Seriously. Who the heck reads ARCHIE comics any more?

EDIT:

a3.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

There's ONE guy in the weekly comic thread each week who only buys Archie Comics.

Viewt

Hey now. I read the shit out of Archie growing up. I must have had nearly 150 digests and double digests at one point. Honestly, I would credit Archie in keeping me interested in reading.

As for the gay guy, well, Archie's come a long way...

ArchieComics_16_9-0.jpg

Yes, that's right. That's a Birth of a Nation reference.

Alphahawk

So wait? They still make Archie comics? And they have an audience that thinks they're relevent?

Also how is it that there hasn't been a live action Archie move yet?

bdizzle said:
your son should start sucking dick

he becomes more awesome that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom