• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale (CW's Archie show) is Twin Peaks/Dawson's Creek murder mystery drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Said it before but so weird all these shows aping Twin Peaks' atmosphere are cropping up near the time the revival season premieres. That said this has me intrigued, cautiously optimistic what with the C dub production.

Not that weird ... the Twin Peaks revival is taking so long to appear that the other studios had time to see that there is a demand and do their own stuff.

edit : it was confirmed 2 years ago, serious talk 3 to 4 years ago and just in talks since 2007 at least

JeTmAn81

So what makes this show Archie, exactly? It's got the same character names but the characters themselves don't seem to resemble the timeless comics. Comic book Archie ain't ever getting down with Ms. Grundy, young or old. These characters are wholesome. Even Reggie, the bad guy. This show could be interesting, I just don't know why it needs to pretend it's an adaptation of source material. Seems more like piggybacking on a famous name.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Been excited for this ever since they announced. Beautiful

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This sounds very interesting but where is Reggie Mantle?
Will be played by Ross Butler.

8xOLkBX.jpg

Some info from the panel:

-There will be a Halloween episode in the vein of Afterlife with Archie

-(season finale spoiler)
Archie will choose between Betty/Veronica by the season finale

-(season finale spoiler)
Sabrina the Teenage Witch is a cult escapee that'll appear in the season finale

Literally had no interest in watching this until this post lol.

Fuu

TRAILER

Not sure where it came from. It's the same one that leaked a while ago, but in good quality this time.

JeTmAn81

Some info from the panel:

-There will be a Halloween episode in the vein of Afterlife with Archie

-(season finale spoiler)
Archie will choose between Betty/Veronica by the season finale

-(season finale spoiler)
Sabrina the Teenage Witch is a cult escapee that'll appear in the season finale

He'll pick Veronica, obviously. Picking Betty is a series finale move, not a season finale move.

TRAILER

Not sure where it came from. It's the same one that leaked a while ago, but in good quality this time.

Woof. Still not saying it's gonna be bad, but um....this ain't Archie.

I've always been a fan of Archie comics, but not interested in anything CW(even when I was young enough to be that target demographic).

Fuu

...but are Josie and the Pussiecats already in the Archieverse ?

Weren't they a hanna barbera thing ?

In season 5 of Riverdale they will meet Jabberjaw ?
The 1970 cartoon was produced by Hanna-Barbera, but it was based on the Archie Comics characters (the original Josie and the Pussycats comic started releasing in 1963).

Platy

The 1970 cartoon was produced by Hanna-Barbera, but it was based on the Archie Comics characters (the original Josie and the Pussycats comic started releasing in 1963).

So it is just Jossie, Sabrina and Archie and .... Sonic ? xD

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Double sweaty abs sighting in that trailer. Yessss.

Not at all what I expected when they first announced this, but the horror Archie line is so good right now. I can totally see a murder mystery series working.

Now give me a Sabrina spin-off next season based off Chilling Adventures and we'll be good.

tensuke

This looks like such garbage. If it wasn't using the Archie IP nobody would care about another teen drama on CW, but instead it's trashing a classic (yes I'm aware of the shit Archie has done over the years, I even have a lot of that shit). IMO.

Maybe Jughead will timetravel to a time before this show was made and he can kill all the creators.

Bleepey

I know it's trying to ape Twin Peaks so the tone is a bit weird for me. I liked the animated series so it's a bit jarring how serious it seems to be taking itself.

Fuu

I know it's trying to ape Twin Peaks so the tone is a bit weird for me. I liked the animated series so it's a bit jarring how serious it seems to be taking itself.
Some impressions suggest that it's more self-aware campy than the trailer lets on (which is a big part of the Twin Peaks appeal that a lot of media trying to ape it tend to forget). And in this interview Sacasa says the he wanted the show to be like a "teen Fargo", so there's definitely some levity and (dark) humor there.

A few quotes:

There are some hints of Sacasa’s subversive tendencies in the way he handles a few of the characters – Jughead, Moose and Josie in particular are given potentially interesting spins. The Betty–Veronica relationship is well handled as he avoids going in the obvious direction – at least straight away. Ironically – given Sacasa’s past work – it’s Kevin Keller who is given the most predictable depiction as he is shown as a gossipy best-friend type used mostly to push snarky exposition.​
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/21/riverdale-pilot-spoiler-free-review/

First, it's wildly entertaining and enjoyably twisty, which one would expect from a Berlanti effort. Second, it has a diverse cast that belies its mildly racist and sexist stock characterizations; Veronica and all of the Pussycats (yes, Josie and the Pussycats is making a comeback) are POC, and while the sole gay character is primarily understood through his sexuality so far, the show's self-aware joke, "is being the gay best friend still a thing?" demonstrates that the writers understand and will hopefully subvert this stereotype.
(...)
It remains to be seen whether Riverdale will be a legitimately good show or just a guilty pleasure, but if it steers into the skid and doubles down on the meta humor and interesting characterizations like Veronica's, it has the potential to be our next Berlanti-produced obsession.​
http://www.outerplaces.com/science-...twin-peaks-meets-dawson-s-creek-in-a-good-way

I mean, let’s be honest: when something is described as a gritty adaptation of the Archie Comics mixed with elements of a Twin Peaks murder mystery and Gossip Girl romantic intrigue? Come on. That just sounds like a hodgepodge of random genres thrown into a blender. But oh. My. Archie. I was so wrong.

I can’t even explain how, but somehow, all the elements work together to make a juicy, compelling, thrilling murder mystery with romantic intrigue, messy family drama and complicated relationships between friends and enemies and friends turned enemies and enemies turned friends. It’s addictively fun.​
http://nerdist.com/why-riverdale-is-the-best-new-drama-of-the-season-sdcc-review/

Btw, speaking of Twin Peaks: Alice Cooper (Betty's mother) is played by Mädchen Amick, who's none other than Shelly from TP.

4AXmrOO.jpg

ycXIjEW.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
That trailer wasn't very good, but I'm not too worried. There's all sorts of things working against pilots and trailers, and most upfronts trailers are literally just "here's everything in the pilot condensed to 5 minutes".

Kyonashi

Not being American I literally know nothing about Archie comics but Twin Peaks influence has me intrigued on anything.

Fuu

Another review, from comicbook.com:

From executive producer Greg Berlanti, Riverdale has a tall order: take a talented cast, a storied mythology, and one of the hottest showrunners on TV (Berlanti, who oversees all four of The CW's DC superhero shows as well as Blindspot), and come up with a show that both subverts and satisfies audience expectations.

Did the production team behind the teen drama, set to debut on The CW at midseason, manage to stick the landing?

Oh, hell yes.
SDCC Review: Riverdale Soars, Propelled by Great Performances And Compelling Characters

Goodstyle

My respect for this show will 100% depend on if Archie ends up with Veronica. It could be an amazing show, but if the series finale has Archie ending up with Betty, I will have considered the entire series a failure.

Fuu

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: "Afterlife With Archie" Episode For Riverdale Still on the Table
Luke Perry, who plays Archie's father Fred Andrews in the series, told me in an interview that Aguirre-Sacasa won't tell the cast anything about the Halloween episode.

So what did the showrunner tell me?

Not a whole lot, but certainly enough to get excited when he confirmed that "Afterlife is still on the table."

For those not in the know, Afterlife With Archie is a horror series set in an alternate version of the familiar Archie Comics universe. After the death of Jughead's dog, an attempt to raise it from the dead inadvertently launches a zombie apocalypse, and the familiar love triangles of Riverdale take a back seat to survival horror.

‘Riverdale’ pilot screens at SDCC and Betty is the MVP
Riverdale takes a darker approach from the comics, opening with a murder mystery that will carry us through the season (and we were promised answers by the end of Season 1!). Everyone has secrets in Riverdale, so it doesn’t set up your typical youth-skewing series — making you want to know who’s hiding what and who can or can’t be trusted. With the concept pulling me in as a viewer, the series is only enhanced with such a complex pivotal character like Betty (played by the young and talented Lili Reinhart) facing coming of age struggles and a compassionate characterization that makes it impossible not to root for Betty as Riverdale progresses. The pilot could be described as a definitive strong contribution for the network, but, with someone as well rounded as Betty, it pushed Riverdale to a series worth watching when it airs in early 2017.

Young Hollywood interview with the cast: "Riverdale" at Comic-Con '16: The Archies go Noir

Los Angeles Times video interview with the cast: 'Riverdale' cast on turning 'Archie's' high school sweeties into a foggy, noir series

Cox7c0HXgAAo12g.jpg

CoJvUBxUkAA3QSQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom