• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

Heh. This is awesome. CW has stylized their TCA's food court in Riverdale's fashion.
C1qRR8DUcAEoQpO.jpg

Pluto

OT title ideas? A Twin Peaks reference maybe?
Riverdale |OT| Betty or Veronica? Nope, Grundy!
Riverdale |OT| Sex, drugs and murder ... and Archie
Riverdale |OT| Twin Peaks for tweens
Riverdale |OT| Grundy raped Archie, Reggie still jelaous

plushyp

I remember the first episode of Weird Mysteries where everyone except for Archie gets indoctrinated by alien potatoes and become potato zombie humans. At the end Archie saves Riverdale by cooking the king potato alien thereby turning everyone back to normal.

Riverdale OT | | The Thread with Pep!
Riverdale OT | | Bulldogs, Vixens, and Pussycats, Oh My!
Riverdale OT | | Who Killed Jason Blossom?
Riverdale OT | | Your Booth is Ready
Riverdale OT | | Heavy is the Head that Wears the (Jughead) Crown
Riverdale OT | | Sixteen, forever.
Riverdale OT | | Archie and Grundy Sittin' in a Tree...

Early reviews for Riverdale are positive: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/riverdale/s01/

fresh-16.png
The show Riverdale reminds me of the most is The O.C. - another show that took a seemingly worn-out teen-soap formula and reenergized it to create something altogether new... and addictive.

fresh-16.png
The CW needed something to fill the hole in die-hard Vampire Diaries fans' hearts when the series ends this year. They've succeeded with Riverdale. It's full of pretty teenagers, terrible parents and a murder mystery right from the start. The Archie comics are bright, bubbly and a little weird. Riverdale is a darker, less wholesome take.

fresh-16.png
This Riverdale revels in irony, perversity and ambiguity. It has the look of a drama set in the recent past – that period to which Donald Trump refers when he brays about making America great again – but it is emphatically set in the present. A present in which Veronica can be designated as looking like Betty Draper in a certain season of Mad Men. And a present in which the perceived serenity of the recent past is recast as a fraud, and then is remounted as a world utterly lacking in traditional morality. Coming immediately after a topsy-turvy year, Riverdale feels like a gesture of disenchantment. In that itself, it's popular culture with a Trump-ian twist – a complete loss of innocence

fresh-16.png
Riverdale is going to be a great success to those already fans of material like this. It's nothing new, it's just the latest addition to the pile. Insane for sure, but what's a prime-time soap if not maddening?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The show Riverdale reminds me of the most is The O.C. - another show that took a seemingly worn-out teen-soap formula and reenergized it to create something altogether new... and addictive.

OH GOD THIS IS THE BEST NEWS IVE EVER HEARD

Makonero

Riverdale OT | | The Thread with Pep!
Riverdale OT | | Bulldogs, Vixens, and Pussycats, Oh My!
Riverdale OT | | Who Killed Jason Blossom?
Riverdale OT | | Your Booth is Ready
Riverdale OT | | Heavy is the Head that Wears the (Jughead) Crown
Riverdale OT | | Sixteen, forever.
Riverdale OT | | Archie and Grundy Sittin' in a Tree...
Riverdale OT | Archie and Grundy, Boned on a Sunday

Positive review from The Hollywood Reporter

Very early, but sitting at 100% on RT

That Riverdale is contradictory is part of its charm. It's a heavily serialized show based on a property that reset its romantic status quo every issue. It hopes to generate compulsive and passionate viewership for material that initially succeeded through bland innocuousness. Although I can list questions I don't need answers to and relationships I'm not invested in, Riverdale is all-in on its gimmick and I can admire that.

cj_iwakura

The OT should go up tomorrow night, right? I'll probably open a poll to determine what the thread title should be, though I'm still partial to Archie's Weird Mysteries.

TheFlow

Banned
Tween Peaks

Archie's weird mysteries.

are the only two that I love.

Archie's weird mysteries seems more fitting giving the plot.

shawnlreed

I am extremely excited for this show. The trailers look fantastic.
The actors all look spot on for their roles.
Cole Sprouse seems like a great fit as Jughead.

And the OT HAS to be Tween Peaks. It's just perfect.

jwk94

"Archie's Weird Mysteries" was a part of my childhood, but it keeps taking Ls in this thread. It's like no one watched it!

It's how I was introduced to Archie. I ended up buying the series DVD a few years back. Can't get enough of that show.

Not

Banned
ARCHIE IS FUCKING MISS GRUNDY!?!?!

That's all I needed to hear

"Archie's Weird Mysteries" was a part of my childhood, but it keeps taking Ls in this thread. It's like no one watched it!

Uhh, I got the grocery store comics. I remember when they announced the cartoon. I saw two episodes and didn't like their voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom