• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

new trailer:

Riverdale | Stranger Trailer | The CW

more promo pics:

C1hsCHaXcAEnjpr.jpg:orig

C1hsZnmXcAA80PI.jpg:orig

C1hWq2HXcAA9NYN.jpg:orig

C1hsQKOVEAAxy94.jpg:orig

C1hsiDTXUAE0iue.jpg:orig

C1hssfjVIAA4BtM.jpg:orig

Looks sick as fuck tbh.

DiscoJer

What is this character's name? Betty? She's my favorite so far.

I know nothing of the comics at all, are they worth reading?

Veronica. Betty is the blonde. The third woman is Josie and I don't know the last one.

I actually read the original comics when I was a kid. They seem to be missing Moose (a big dumb football player who is the one who talks on that episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets kicked out of Riverdale) and Reggie, who was Archie's snobbish rival.

The most recent comics apparently make it much darker as opposed to a kid's comic.

Edit: There was also a recent-ish cartoon, Archie's Weird Adventures that was sort of like a Scooby Doo minus the talking dog and with the supernatural stuff being real.

Pluto

What is this character's name? Betty? She's my favorite so far.
That's Veronica, Betty's the blonde one.

I know nothing of the comics at all, are they worth reading?
Yes, Archie was rebooted in 2015, the current series is absolutely worth reading.
If you remember Sabrina the Teenage witch (also part of the Archie universe) check out Chilling Adventures of Sabrina but don't expect it to be anything like what you know about her, it's straight up horror.

Holy shit. Haven't really been following this but it looks pretty damn good. I've said this on TVGaf before but my friend is an aspiring actor and models on the side and went to a con and talk to a director.

He said he had the perfect look for the show but missed the casting for it and he's been angrily following this ever since

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Veronica. Betty is the blonde. The third woman is Josie and I don't know the last one.

I actually read the original comics when I was a kid. They seem to be missing Moose (a big dumb football player who is the one who talks on that episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets kicked out of Riverdale) and Reggie, who was Archie's snobbish rival.

The most recent comics apparently make it much darker as opposed to a kid's comic.

Edit: There was also a recent-ish cartoon, Archie's Weird Adventures that was sort of like a Scooby Doo minus the talking dog and with the supernatural stuff being real.
Reggie and Moose are on the show, but they haven't appeared a lot in the promotional materials. They're played by Ross Butler and Cody Kearsley:

ross-butler-cody-kearsley.jpg

And that last girl is Cheryl Blossom, played by Madelaine Petsch.

not feeling josie really but the rest of the casting looks dope. that big guy in the sweater can't be reggie though right? i hope not. looks more like a moose.

edit: beaten by post above. hmm...i can't really see that being moose but reggie seems like he'll be good at the smug thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
not feeling josie really but the rest of the casting looks dope. that big guy in the sweater can't be reggie though right? i hope not. looks more like a moose.

edit: beaten by post above. hmm...i can't really see that being moose but reggie seems like he'll be good at the smug thing.
Big guy in the sweater is Kevin Keller, played by Casey Cott.

lol yeah he's not very Moose-y in that pic, here's one from the set:

CsgtTJCWAAAAcgc.jpg

Pluto

Holy shit. Haven't really been following this but it looks pretty damn good. I've said this on TVGaf before but my friend is an aspiring actor and models on the side and went to a con and talk to a director.

He said he had the perfect look for the show but missed the casting for it and he's been angrily following this ever since
It's not like Riverdale will never cast a new character again and if it's not Riverdale other CW shows are looking for exceptionally beautiful men too it's not like the perfect look for Riverdale is much different than the perfect CW look in general.

And he shouldn't get too hung up about it, a director telling someone they have the right look doesn't mean they would have gotten a job, they'd still have to audition and compete with countless other people who all have the right look too. And directors don't even cast major parts for tv shows, that's what they have showrunners amd network executives for.

SArcher

Banned
So why are fans of the comic hyped for this? As far as I understand the TV series revolves around a murder mystery while the comic never had anything like that. Wasn't it just about happy go lucky high school high jinks?

Slaythe

So why are fans of the comic hyped for this? As far as I understand the TV series revolves around a murder mystery while the comic never had anything like that. Wasn't it just about happy go lucky high school high jinks?

First of all, you are wrong, the comics-verse was rebooted a while ago.

But also, look at WHO is handling the TV show.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

no, Archie vs Predator, Afterlife with Archie, Archie vs The Punisher are all dope af

First of all, you are wrong, the comics-verse was rebooted a while ago.

But also, look at WHO is handling the TV show.

I don't know. The comics were rebooted but they're still making classic comics aren't they? I love the reboot but I'd much rather have a well done comedy / slice of life show with the Archie characters.

Briarios

The thing I like about Archie is that the main group of friends were basically decent people, even with their foibles. Like, Betty & Veronica were clearly rivals, but while they tried to one up each other, they didn't really backstab -- at the end of the day, they still looked out for each other.

I'm hoping we still get that, even if everything is darker, which I'm fine with.

Edit: and, yes, we need Sabrina ...

plushyp

Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it. This just looks like a retooled 90210 reboot with a dark tone using Archie characters (in name only). Will give the pilot a watch with an open mind though.

Ricker

Will watch for Betty and Veronica...I use to have a crush on these 2,who knows what will happen in 2017 lol ;)

Seriously though,hope its good.

JeTmAn81

Tablescraps. Archie fans have never gotten a live action show or movie so we'll take what we can get. The characters in this show are basically Archie in name only (Archie bangs a young Ms. Grundy? Right...), but it could still be an intwresting take on the overall tropes.

Wow, seriously? I always ignored them ...
Has it always been like that or only since the original Archie was cancelled and rebooted?

No, it's been like that for years. It's noticeable when the first story is something like Archie recording a viral video with his dog and getting hits on youtube lol (actual example of first story of a digest). IIRC when they rebooted Archie they reassured the fans that new classic stories would still be made for the digests.

To the guy who said Archie fans have never had live action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

from the tv movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEoIYipjeM

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who never read Archie Comics, is the setting similar in modern comics? Like, is Archie not a kid's comic strip full of silliness, but some serious thriller thing under the surface?

Pilgrimzero

As someone who never read Archie Comics, is the setting similar in modern comics? Like, is Archie not a kid's comic strip full of silliness, but some serious thriller thing under the surface?

The new comic is more modern and very good imo but it's not CW like where Betty is on drugs and Archie is sleeping with his teacher. Not to mention murder.

I guess it's Archie with more sex drama and violence. A CW show.

Pluto

No, it's been like that for years. It's noticeable when the first story is something like Archie recording a viral video with his dog and getting hits on youtube lol (actual example of first story of a digest). IIRC when they rebooted Archie they reassured the fans that new classic stories would still be made for the digests.
I had no idea, thanks for telling me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom