• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
riverdalepromo_hires2.jpg

2016 is sure to be a major year for Archie Comics, as America’s Favorite Teenager celebrates 75 years of existence. But the party kicked off in a major way today with news that The CW has officially picked up the pilot episode for the live-action “Riverdale” TV series, to start filming this spring.
The live-action series offers a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring small-town life and the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome facade. The show will focus on the eternal love triangle of Archie Andrews, girl-next-door Betty Cooper, and rich socialite Veronica Lodge, and will include the entire cast of characters from the comic books—including Archie’s rival, Reggie Mantle, and his slacker best friend, Jughead Jones.
http://archiecomics.com/archie-comi...ally-picks-up-riverdale-live-action-tv-pilot/

I'm happy, though maybe not SUPER surprised, to see Kevin (the relatively recent gay addition to the cast) is going to be with the classic characters.

I'm a hundred percent into this. The direction that Archie Comics has been going in is splendid, with Afterlife, Sabrina, and Dark Circle, along with the new ongoing.

mreddie

Is that one of the Pussycats on the left? Also is Sabrina involved? Who's the redhead with Reggie?

stay-out-of-riverdale-o.gif

STAY OUTTA RIVERDALE

I remember hearing about and I think discussing this last year, it'll be interesting to see where they go with it, hope they get good writers and don't pander to the lowest common denominator of the network's general target demo. Let MTV take that mantle and give us more shows with at least decent to good writing like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin, iZombie and The 100.

Yeee... I vaguely remember this.

KarmaCow

The live-action series offers a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring small-town life and the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome facade.

Not that I would be really interested in a live action Archie anyway but this sounds far worse.

More In-Depth Character Descriptions:

ARCHIE ANDREWS | A high school sophomore, the redhead is still boyishly handsome but “pumped and looking good after working construction for his dad during the summer.” Archie is grappling with heavy issues and juggling the interest of several girls while discovering his passion for writing and performing music against his father and his football coach’s better wishes. Oh, and he’s harboring more than one dark, terrible secret.

BETTY COOPER | The blonde and pretty sophomore is described as having “some self-esteem issues and affinity for Adderall.” Eager-to-please, wholesome and studious, Betty has a super-crush on her longtime best bud, Archie. But tired of being the “perfect” everything, she turns to her new friend, Veronica, for life advice. Betty has an emotionally brittle mom, a goth-like sister and a coveted spot on the cheerleading squad — though with certain conditions….

VERONICA LODGE | Producers are aiming to ideally cast a Latina as this “silver-tongued” stunner, who has just returned to Riverdale from New York following a scandal which resulted in her father going to prison. Extremely intelligent, self-confident and immediately popular, Veronica is eager to reinvent herself — from Mean Girl to caring friend.

JUGHEAD JONES | A hearing-impaired actor is being sought to play Jughead as an “emo-heartthrob.” The lanky lad is Archie’s former best friend, seeing as the two still are smarting from a rift that took place between them. Angry, but with a philosophical bent, Jughead “refuses to take the olive branch being proffered by Archie, the hurt goes that deep.”

Swamped

Banned
Those character descriptions sure are something. Guess this show isn't going to be like the Archie Digest comics I used to read as a kid. Very intrigued.

I recently read Afterlife with Archie and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though i felt it was being too edgy just for the sake of it. This show feels like it might be in that vein.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What happened to the Afterlife with Archie series that was in the news?

That and the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are still going, the releases are just very spread out. But are excellent though, one of those comics that comes out every 3-6 months but you forgive the sporadic release because it's so good.

I'm all about this CW series. It can work.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still need to read this and that Lovecraft esque Sabrina series, what was that called again? Is it a part of Afterlife with Archie and then Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? I remember people on this forum saying they were pretty good.

weshes195

Reading those descriptions make me wanna puke :(

I'm all for mixing it up with Archie (I love Afterlife) but... EMO Jughead? Ugh

watershed

Banned
The new comic series is really good but I don't have any faith that a live-action tv show can do Archie right, especially with those character descriptions.

watershed

Banned
I love Jughead in the new comic. He's true to character but modern. In fact, they've gotten all the characters right so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom