• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM (Wii) E3 2010 Impressions

Bentendo

I may be wrong but didn't Reggie say Wii exclusive during the conference? Or did he say that for Epic Mickey? I remember him saying it for one of those games...

stuminus3

Bentendo said:
I may be wrong but didn't Reggie say Wii exclusive during the conference? Or did he say that for Epic Mickey? I remember him saying it for one of those games...
Already been covered in the topic, but it look exclusive "for now", which probably means ports are coming.

My money would be on EA turning this into another one of their yearly franchise games, with next year's version being on more systems, depending on demand for it in the first place.

LM4sure

Banned
That would be surprising if it's Wii only. Maybe a timed exclusive. But there better be online.

Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, and NBA Jam all exclusive to Wii? Weird to see exclusive third party games on the Wii.

Penguin

LM4sure said:
That would be surprising if it's Wii only. Maybe a timed exclusive. But there better be online.

Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, and NBA Jam all exclusive to Wii? Weird to see exclusive third party games on the Wii.

Not really, I believe the Wii has the most exclusive games this gen.

It should be more along the lines of, exclusive 3rd party games on the Wii that people care about.

jman2050 said:
It's amazing how little people value their GAF accounts.

or maybe they are unaware that you can get banned for the most trivial things around here. Seriously you expect every single GAF'er to know all the little rules for each thread? It was a harmless comment.

at the very least maybe we should create a separate thread for the lowly "port beggars" since even graphic whores and pixel counters get at least that much.

jman2050

Ninja Scooter said:
or maybe they are unaware that you can get banned for the most trivial things around here. Seriously you expect every single GAF'er to know all the little rules for each thread? It was a harmless comment.

Most of these rules are incredibly obvious or can be discerned simply by actually performing such trivial tasks as reading and paying attention.

jman2050 said:
Most of these rules are incredibly obvious or can be discerned simply by actually performing such trivial tasks as reading and paying attention.

it's incredibly obvious that coming into a thread and saying "hey this game looks cool, hope it comes to **insert system I own here**" is banworthy?

jman2050

Ninja Scooter said:
it's incredibly obvious that coming into a thread and saying "hey this game looks cool, hope it comes to **insert system I own here**" is banworthy?

It is when the exact same thing has happened and been documented three thousand times up to this point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ninja Scooter said:

Ninja Scooter said:

I can only speak for myself, not for the judgment calls of any other moderator, but...

No port begging has been a rule for more than a year and there've been a number of bloodbaths over it. This is because port begging derails a thread by focusing on system wars crap rather than the actual game that's presented. A user who isn't aware of the specific prohibition against port begging is still aware that we try to crack down on "system wars" stuff or drive-by trolls, both of which would encompass port begging.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a game on a console that you own. There's also nothing wrong with thinking that a game would be better on a different console. It's when your contribution to an otherwise production thread consists of a drive by "WHAT UP NEOGAF PORT THIS SUCKER" or even worse a drive by "da ps3 sucks put it on a real console" that the post crosses the line. Certainly just complaining about wanting a game on a different console isn't half as bad as the epic meltdown derails we periodically get over system wars stuff, but that kind of thing is reflected in the length of the ban (and someone just making a one-off remark isn't going to get a lengthy ban at all versus someone who's an actual dedicated troll).

When in doubt about posting anything, the more you explain yourself and act like you're actually interested in contributing to a thread, the less of an issue anything becomes.

Milabrega

Not committing to online is a pretty dumb move. If Mario Strikers Charged from the small studio Next Level Games can have passable online in '07, surely they can do better than sub-par online in '10.

tzare said:
i want this game on PSN/XBLA with online and sold :D

C'mon Man, it hasn't even been a quarter of a page.

jman2050 said:
It is when the exact same thing has happened and been documented three thousand times up to this point.

So NeoGaf now requires people to be up in every single thread to figure out how to post? Casual posters be gone! I didn't find out about this "rule" myself until I posted something in a thread and got the "you better edit that!" warning from another poster. I get why you don't it to lead to trolling and derailing, but what I don't get is how its not possible to allow discussion and speculation on exclusive games getting ported in a video gaming forum? If someone is obviously trolling or trying to derail then ban them then.

edit: Stumpakapow: Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense that way and good to see you use it as more of a judgement call. I don't see how the comments made in this thread, for example, are any more derailing than the people who quoted them just to mention how that person is going to be banned.

Phhhh

I played this, didn't like it or have fun with it. Oddly enough I played the basketball version of the new mario sports game and had more fun, it had near the exact same controls, but I had more fun witht he mario version, idk why, maybe because it was new and different.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Phhhh said:
I played this, didn't like it or have fun with it. Oddly enough I played the basketball version of the new mario sports game and had more fun, it had near the exact same controls, but I had more fun witht he mario version, idk why, maybe because it was new and different.

The perspective is one thing, for sure. The side-on basketball games have always played a little differently than the top-down basketball games to me. Of course, for me it's the opposite as it was for you; I loved the arcadey side-on stuff and didn't much like the top-down stuff! :p

jacksrb

Would be curious for those that played it (or know), how the game controls for wii-mote only.

This is a for-sure buy for me if I can play 4 player with just 4 wii-motes. I only have 2 nunchucks.

Looks great, though. Glad that committed to and made 60fps.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Phoenix Suns Gorilla or bust.

How strange is it that in 2010 my most anticipated games are NBA Jam, DKC Returns, and a Kirby game?

Vizion28

Banned
Characters I would like to see in NBA Jam:

Will Smith
Barrack Obama
Jay Z
Eminem
Michelle Obama
Sarah Palin
John Mccain
Bill O'reilly

isn't there some law that allows the President's image to be essentially public domain (for lack of a better term) which is how they got Clinton in the original game (and how shitty companies can sell commemorative Obama plates on TV at 2 in the morning). Wonder if that applies to all politicians or former Presidents as well.

Shiggy

Are the 360/PS3 versions a direct port of the Wii version or why haven't we heard anything about those yet?

nba_g_haslem_576.jpg

farnham

Banned
Phhhh said:
thx...that was an aspect i was curious about (the mario sports mix game)
guess ill be buying both

Shiggy said:
Are the 360/PS3 versions a direct port of the Wii version or why haven't we heard anything about those yet?
Reggie said Wii exclusive at their E3 press conference. I wouldnt expect a port this year

Shiggy

farnham said:
according to the USK there is no Wiiversion.. just saying

They don't say that, they just haven't got it or haven't it rated right now.
I'd understand it if they made a mistake by writing PS3 or X360 instead of Wii, but they've rated two NBA Jam games on two different dates - it can't be a mistake.

Reggie says it's an "exclusive version", not that NBA Jam will be exclusively available on Wii.

onipex

Not sure if this is posted. I did a search and found nothing.

I can’t wait til Oct 5th, when NBA Jam finally drops. My only qualm? Its online-play which Smith mentioned to me “is going to be close” in having it ready in time for release. “I played the online mode recently and it’s still clunky, so we’ve got two guys working very hard to get it perfect,” he told me. Here’s hoping for the game-winner.

Link

No mention of any other version reported as far as can find from news out of the event.

ReBurn

Gold Member
As someone who spent hundreds of on-fire hours with the SNES version I am SO looking forward to this game. I've been jonesing for some old-school fun.

Amir0x

Banned
onipex said:
Not sure if this is posted. I did a search and found nothing.

Link

No mention of any other version reported as far as can find from news out of the event.

It says they're working hard to get the Wii version online, but it's "going to be close." He means it's a toss up whether it'll be ready for release. That's not the same as "Wii version has online." He played some test version of the online mode and called it "clunky".

Also, it's a little weird to me that they only have two guys working on this problem. Seems like another problem of simply not taking the platform seriously for online (and I can't blame them. Wii online blows).

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Also, it's a little weird to me that they only have two guys working on this problem. Seems like another problem of simply not taking the platform seriously for online (and I can't blame them. Wii online blows).

Sounds like normal game production to me!

Milabrega

They have two guys working on the online? :lol

Call up Next Level Games and have them do it. I never thought the second Wii online title, Mario Strikers Charged, would, 3 years later still be the best the system has to offer.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know how EA's online system works on Wii to be honest. But I more meant that there is a limited online community on Wii because Wii's online is so shitty most of the time, that they (like other developers) tend to put limited money toward it or ignore it altogether. Probably figure it's not worth it.

Amir0x said:
I don't know how EA's online system works on Wii to be honest. But I more meant that there is a limited online community on Wii because Wii's online is so shitty most of the time, that they (like other developers) tend to put limited money toward it or ignore it altogether. Probably figure it's not worth it.
Well yeah that's actually a good point.

Top Bottom