• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It has been ten years since Nintendo's E3 2006 Media Briefing (Wii reveal)

Aters

Wii has Galaxy, XC, Radiant Dawn, and two mainline Zelda games, yet I still thought Wii's library was not good enough, little did I know about WiiU back then.

What were the series?

Disaster Day of Crisis
Project HAMMER
ExciteTruck

To this day I'm still bitter we never got Disaster Day of Crisis. It was met with mixed reviews in Europe, but I'm a big fan of disaster movies even the ones that aren't well received so I know I would have enjoyed that game.

sphinx

the piano man
Wii has Galaxy, XC, Radiant Dawn, and two mainline Zelda games, yet I still thought Wii's library was not good enough, little did I know about WiiU back then.

not sure why but I laughed out loud as I read the bolded,

kunonabi

It's funny, I didn't really pay much attention to that e3 and I was falling out of games at the time and now ten years later the Wii is my favorite Nintendo console and second favorite console of all time. It really came out of nowhere and reignited my love of Nintendo and games in general. It's also kind of sad that despite Shenmue 3 on the horizon and some really great games the last year or so I'm once again losing interest in games. The reasons are different and Nintendo is responsible for more of it than they were 10 years ago but it's a similar situation all the same. It will be interesting to see if the NX can have the same revitalizing effect that the Wii had.

This.

Still can't believe how they did everything, everything right with the Wii (by far my favourite console ever, undoubtely one of the most innovative), and failed miserably with its successor.

That E3 conference was basically "what you should do to introduce a brand new gaming concept to both the masses and your existing core audience". Flawless.

This is not quite true.

The launch was spectacular, and the entire first year was full of excitement. But after Smash and Mario Kart hit, the second half of 2008 was a huge mess, culminating in Wii Music.

They didn't pick the ball back up again until E3 2009 with Wii Sports Resort and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but they fumbled again with Other M and left the building completely after holiday 2010.

That said, if they kept up what they were doing from 2006-May 2008 / June 2009-December 2010, Wii really would have been perfect.

I'll forever be sad they dropped the "playing = believing" tag, I still think it perfectly captures Nintendo and the Wii's entire philosophy, such a great line.

I want to kick the product people for Wii U and the marketing team that was responsible for pitching it to consumers. Such a radical dismantling of everything Wii stood for, instead of building on its huge success.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
E3 2006 was the very first E3 conference I saw live, and wow am I glad it was, so many great memories with this one. I remember freaking out at the Mario Galaxy and Wii games reveal, Yoshi's Island 2 for DS, and Smash Bros and Paper Mario the next day. Never forgot Reggie and Iwata's awesome speeches too. I'll forever be sad they dropped the "playing = believing" tag, I still think it perfectly captures Nintendo and the Wii's entire philosophy, such a great line.

Go319

I was lucky enough to attend that press conference at the Kodak theatre. The energy and excitement was electric. Exciting times....

naitosan

I remember seeing videos of people at E3 literally rushing to the Nintendo booth.
It generated a crazy hype indeed.

EDIT : here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeR0fL9ofYY

And a queue video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlvLQzvJNA

Haha I went to E3 with my ex girlfriend and we were running as soon all doors opened, other video actually had us in the crowd but not this one. The line for Wii was really really long and once inside Nintendo booth, all games' pretty much packed waiting for their turns. E3 2006 was amazing.

Turrican3

This is not quite true.
[...]
But after Smash and Mario Kart hit, the second half of 2008 was a huge mess, culminating in Wii Music.
Fair enough.
I was somehow implicitly comparing it to what they did with the WiiU. :-\

And *that* was a true, gigantic mess IMHO.

Top Bottom