• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 34, 2014

No game deserves to bomb, jobs will be lost and lives potentially ruined as a result.

However, games deserve to underperform enough to send a message to publishers that terrible stuff like Dungeon Keeper is not acceptable, and to also prove to publishers that accepting timed exclusivity deals lead you to less money than more.

dolemite

Some companies prefer to take a pile of cash upfront (moneyhatting) rather than wait for the longer term sales to materialize. Whether or not this practice damages the IP remains to be seen.

LOCK

Wow two Wii U games in top 40! lol

I thought D3 would do better and Tales did about as expected really.

Some companies prefer to take a pile of cash upfront (moneyhatting) rather than wait for the longer term sales to materialize. Whether or not this practice damages the IP remains to be seen.

Something like PvZ and Titanfall probably won't (at least not significant), but Mass Effect probably did. Story-driven games where the first-game didn't even release till.. 5 years later?

Talking about IP and sequels, btw.

RalchAC

About 6k for original Xillia. Can't bother to dig up older releases at the moment lol.

So looking at the info available, we could say that Tales of Xillia 2 has sold more than 3900-4800 units (Diablo 3 for X360) but less than 6500 units (Watch_Dogs numbers)?

Would it be posible to somewhat close the gap between both numbers?

If not I'd assume the game has sold around 5k there and nod with approval :p

So looking at the info available, we could say that Tales of Xillia 2 has sold more than 3900-4800 units (Diablo 3 for X360) but less than 6500 units (Watch_Dogs numbers)?

Would it be posible to somewhat close the gap between both numbers?

If not I'd assume the game has sold around 5k there and nod with approval :p

Yeah. Hard to believe it could open with higher numbers than original XIllia lol. Solid debut for direct sequel and it if opens to about same numbers as original in other markets too Namco should be pleased.

Dunno about anywhere else but the titanfall bundle is no longer for sale direct from amazon.

If forza stays and titanfall drops further next week we can see whats happening.

I still see it on sale pretty much everywhere. Hard to believe it's unavailability officially from Amazon has led the charge to people buying the Forza bundle.

Moonstone

Wow two Wii U games in top 40! lol

I thought D3 would do better and Tales did about as expected really.

Cheap arse UK bought it probably via US PSN for 36£.
Nah, I don't think that this matters.

@Bruno: Next Gamesmarkt has an interview with Dr. Bernd Fakesch (Nintendo CEO Germany). We should get sales data for WiiU and 3DS.

RalchAC

Yeah. Hard to believe it could open with higher numbers than original XIllia lol. Solid debut for direct sequel and it if opens to about same numbers as original in other markets too Namco should be pleased.

Yeah, JRPG direct sequels often perform worse than the original. A minor drops is good news.

I'd like to know how many copies Bamco would need to sell I'm order to recoup costs for subbing the game (not dub) for each language.

Thats a bad attitude to take, good games deserve good sales regardless of their companies bad decisions/games.

PvZ bomba is gonna be a harsh reminder to EA about late ports' selling power.

I have a feeling MK8 will be higher than it is now by the time christmas shopping kicks in. Gonna do well come holidays.

do you know of all the sick sht that EA does to games when they bomb? the games come in the next day wearing a turtleneck long sleeve shirt and sunglasses and a Westwood tattoo on their forehead

Yeah, JRPG direct sequels often perform worse than the original. A minor drops is good news.

I'd like to know how many copies Bamco would need to sell I'm order to recoup costs for subbing the game (not dub) for each language.

Well at least in France it should easily recoup the costs of french subs as France is the main market of JRPGs in Europe. I guess for german too as at least the original XIllia charted rather high in Germany and there are also Switzerland and Austria where german is dominant language and they are developed countries. With spanish you have Spain and ever growing South American game market so probably it too. Italian is only one that could end up losing money for some nicher games as the market is not that huge and there is no other markets speaking italian.

TLOU:R doing surprisingly well from what I expected

Diablo 3 seems to have done very well as well

PvZ unfortunately seems to have not made much of a showing its first week. Curious what marketing push EA gave to it?

Perhaps the PS3 version will have legs like the 360 version but I kind of doubt it. Too bad really but late ports divides the marketing potential and is always going to lead to this unless you can counteract that successfully

That being said EA knows the quality of the product that Popcap put out, I would be very surprised if it isn't made into a important IP by EA considering it can be sold as family friendly and still hit that COD crowd, honestly I think it might've done well on Wii U all things considered but it's not going to appear there I imagine

RalchAC

Well at least in France it should easily recoup the costs of french subs as France is the main market of JRPGs in Europe. I guess for german too as at least the original XIllia charted rather high in Germany and there are also Switzerland and Austria where german is dominant language and they are developed countries. With spanish you have Spain and ever growing South American game market so probably it too. Italian is only one that could end up losing money for some nicher games as the market is not that huge and there is no other markets speaking italian.

Time will tell, I guess. Italy is as big as Spain when it comes to videogame revenue iirc. And the original Xillia charted in August 2013 top 10 in the 8th position in Spain. I don't think we ever got any data.

We'll see what happens with Zestiria. If it's in multi-5 that would mean the franchise is selling well enough I guess.

johnbone

Mario Kart 8 seems to be slipping, time to break out the emergency legs!

Also, TLOU really did have the perfect window, good job sony!

Hasney

Late ports aren't going to be successful on PS4. Good luck Square-Enix.

I'd imagine Tomb Raider still doing better, assuming Square Enix markets it when it comes to PS4 instead of sending it out to die. Don't forget that PvZ GW is also a double late port with 2 formats getting it ahead of Sony.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

@Bruno: Next Gamesmarkt has an interview with Dr. Bernd Fakesch (Nintendo CEO Germany). We should get sales data for WiiU and 3DS.

Hype.

They're gonna leak as well, aren't they?

Bruno MB

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just read the interview.

Hardware:

Wii U - 350,000
3DS - Over 2,000,000

Software:

Wii U software sales up 141%YoY
Mario Kart 8 - Over 150,000
Tomodachi Life - 100,000
Pokémon X / Y - Significantly exceeded 500,000 units

Dinda

Hardware:

Wii U - 350,000
3DS - Over 2,000,000

Software:

Tomodachi Life - 100,000

Thanks Bruno

So the Wii U has about double the install base of the Xbone in Germany. (Last number from June was 170,000 i think) and i wouldn't be surprised if it actually also sells better at the moment.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Hardware:

Wii U - 350,000
3DS - Over 2,000,000

Software:

Tomodachi Life - 100,000

Thanks Bruno :) Both Mario Kart 8 and Tomodachi did well, especially Tomodachi in such a short time frame and a lesser known property,

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
~43%. Sheesh.
I wonder what the worldwide average is.

More or less, we know that Wii U shipped around 6.8 millions units, and MK8 more than 2.8 millions, am I wrong?

In US we should have:
Wii U: still looking for the LTD
MK: 1 million +

In Japan we have:
Wii U 1.89 million
MK8: 645k

In Germany we have:
Wii U 350k
MK8 150k+

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My guess is PvZ has a higher digital to physical rate than most games. It's cheaper and it makes more sense to own a digital version to jump in and out of the game without disc swapping since it is MP. I bought the digital copy and I rarely do that.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks Bruno

So the Wii U has about double the install base of the Xbone in Germany. (Last number from June was 170,000 i think) and i wouldn't be surprised if it actually also sells better at the moment.
This is the case in mostly European countries except UK.

Moonstone

Hardware:

Wii U - 350,000
3DS - Over 2,000,000

3DS was at 1,600,000 Q3/2013 and it sold 347k from Q1-Q3 2013.
Nintendo expected to sell 770k in 2013. Q1-Q3 have usually comparable sales to Q4.
3DS sold 700k in 2012.

I guess over 2 million doesn't mean slightly over 2 million. More like ~2,2 million.

WiiU was at 160k Q3/2013 and it sold 75k from Q1-Q3 2013. 350k seems good. So they more than doubled their total sales in the last 10 or 11 month!

3DS was at 1,600,000 Q3/2013 and it sold 347k from Q1-Q3 2013.
Nintendo expected to sell 770k in 2013. Q1-Q3 have usually comparable sales to Q4.
3DS sold 700k in 2012.

I guess over 2 million doesn't mean slightly over 2 million. More like ~2,2 million.

WiiU was at 160k Q3/2013 and it sold 75k from Q1-Q3 2013. 350k seems good. So they more than doubled their total sales in the last 10 or 11 month!

This shouldn't be that surprising considering that Germany seems to be mirroring France in Wii U sales (not 3DS though.....weird).

edit: could one of you guys provide a link to the interview?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This shouldn't be that surprising considering that Germany seems to be mirroring France in Wii U sales (not 3DS though.....weird).

edit: could one of you guys provide a link to the interview?

What do you mean? Serious question.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 34, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 DIABLO III - REAPER OF SOULS (ULTIMATE EVIL EDITION) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (NE) PS3 DIABLO III - REAPER OF SOULS (ULTIMATE EVIL EDITION) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
03 (NE) XBO DIABLO III - REAPER OF SOULS (ULTIMATE EVIL EDITION) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (NE) PS3 TALES OF XILLIA 2 (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
05 (03) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)
06 (NE) 360 DIABLO III - REAPER OF SOULS (ULTIMATE EVIL EDITION) (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (02) PS4 THE LAST OF US (REMASTERED) (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
08 (01) PC RISEN 3 - TITAN LORDS (FIRST EDITION) (KOCH MEDIA)
09 (04) PS3 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
10 (NE) PS4 PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
11 (06) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
12 (NE) PS3 PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (11) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
14 (07) PC DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
15 (05) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
16 (15) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
17 (19) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
18 (12) PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
19 (16) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
20 (32) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
21 (22) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)
22 (27) WIU MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO)
23 (09) PS3 RISEN 3 - TITAN LORDS (FIRST EDITION) (KOCH MEDIA)
24 (21) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
25 (28) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
26 (33) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)
27 (29) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
28 (14) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
29 (23) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
30 (38) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
31 (40) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
32 (59) PC CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
33 (31) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 2013 (ASTRAGON)
34 (39) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
35 (26) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
36 (35) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
37 (30) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
38 (50) PC WORLD OF WARCRAFT: MISTS OF PANDARIA (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
39 (24) PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
40 (18) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
41 (08) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
42 (10) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
43 (NE) 360 THE 2K SPORTS COLLECTION (NBA 2K13 / WWE 13) (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
44 (17) 360 RISEN 3 - TITAN LORDS (FIRST EDITION) (KOCH MEDIA)
45 (46) PS3 THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
46 (61) NDS POKÉMON: WEISSE EDITION 2 (NINTENDO)
47 (43) PC DIE SIMS 3: STARTER-SET (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
48 (__) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
49 (34) PS4 WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
50 (__) PS3 XCOM: ENEMY WITHIN (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)

Top 50

PS3 - 17
PS4 - 10
360 - 7
PC - 7
3DS - 6
XBO - 1
WIU - 1
NDS - 1

Top Bottom