• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

i-Jest

I think it's best we start a Google doc. for all these codes so be can keep track of who did what. Put the link in the OP and make it a GAF thing.

JoeM86

Just asking again if anyone has made a stage with the
Mewtwo
costume yet, just so I can download it for images when/if my copy ever arrives

Game still says I have to wait until Saturday to get the next set of tools. I thought that was patched out?

Didn't people say that the first one will then say it came "earlier than expected" when they've done the stuff to get it?

vall03

I have a question but I'm not sure if someone asked already. Is it fine to get the game even though I'm not going to create much stages? I've played games with stage creation tools but I mostly ignore them. I know its Mario but the I kinda expect myself to create a few simple and basic stages, play some other user created content and then forget about the game altogether. I'm not really all that creative with this kind of stuff and that is kinda putting me off in getting the game and just wait for Yoshi next month for my platformer fix.

Made a super basic baby tutorial level. I'll do the system clock trick stuff tomorrow probably, really want to see all the options I'll have by the end of it.

The level course ID is: 0E47-0000-0012-CAFA if anyone wants to give it a spin!

Teknoman

I have a question but I'm not sure if someone asked already. Is it fine to get the game even though I'm not going to create much stages? I've played games with stage creation tools but I mostly ignore them. I know its Mario but the I kinda expect myself to create a few simple and basic stages, play some other user created content and then forget about the game altogether. I'm not really all that creative with this kind of stuff and that is kinda putting me off in getting the game and just wait for Yoshi next month for my platformer fix.

If you like Super Mario 1-World and want to play more of those games with a few limitations all in one, go for it. It'll be more challenging than Wooly for better or worse, but it wont exactly be a completely new experience either.

Yeah same, not sure what's going on with the unlocks

Once you get the notification that stuff is coming tomorrow, start putting a ton of objects around and you'll get a notification that it's coming earlier than expected. Make sure you use one of anything new (has an exclamation point).

ramparter

Banned
I thought I would play a little, ended up being late for work :p

Even creating and testing the smallest ideas is very addicting.

Gleethor

My one real complaint is that some of the enemies and all of the coins in NSMBU mode move at 30fps and its a bit jarring, given that everything is 60fps in NSMBU proper.

fernoca

Just scanned all 52 amiibo I have...and there are still a ton more costumes to unlock! Thought that screen would look fuller. XD

Amazing so far. So well worth the wait.

Svafnir

Ok there is for sore some button combination I am pressing during the start of a new level that gives the CRT look. (On 100 mario challenge)

I just can't figure out what it is. I can do it by spamming all buttons, and slowly trying to narrow it down.

Uiki

From reading the FAQ and user posts im still confused as to what exactly I'll have to do to unlock all the content but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Just spam blocks. It can be anything, I used the base block.

It will tell you that the next delivery will come soon. Keep spamming blocks.

I just unlocked everything in 40ish minutes.

Btw, 104E-0000-0012-6F32 . It's a simple one I did yesterday with the basic tiles set.

vall03

If you like Super Mario 1-World and want to play more of those games with a few limitations all in one, go for it. It'll be more challenging than Wooly for better or worse, but it wont exactly be a completely new experience either.

I see, but what about the actual Stage creation tools? There's a big chance I'm going to ignore it after creating a few stages.

Svafnir

I see, but what about the actual Stage creation tools? There's a big chance I'm going to ignore it after creating a few stages.

They are awesome and super easy to use. But if you just want to play random mario levels? There are infinite and 100 Mario Challenge (100 lives to complete a series of random levels) is awesome. You can also look through and just find high rated mario levels.

There is endless content.

Robin64

Ok there is for sore some button combination I am pressing during the start of a new level that gives the CRT look. (On 100 mario challenge)

I just can't figure out what it is. I can do it by spamming all buttons, and slowly trying to narrow it down.

Yep. I posted it a few pages back, but I guess this thread moves fast. ;)

Hold Down on the d-pad and press B and A together.

Roo

what joke am I missing?

He's making fun of the guy he quoted.
He said he maybe won't get the game until next week hoping levels are still made by then (implying the community will be dead)

MighthyPoo told him it only will last three days, rendering the guy's purchase useless.

bounchfx

I'm so excited to see what the top levels will be at the end of next week. Assuming the rating system works well and people have taste we should be seeing some of the best mario levels yet. PUMPED.

Teknoman

Hopefully this game will make people want to go back to play the older games to draw inspiration or just see how great they were too.

I still want some sort of music pack dlc though like Mario Kart SNES music or Yoshi Island music.

A+B apparently.

So...how do you make pipes work? What set do you need?

Put a pipe down, drag Mario into the pipe, it will send you to the sub-level screen and ask you to place a corresponding pipe.

Xenoboy

The game is downloading now! Just before I start school too :D
Just a few more hours and I can finally play this bad boy!

Haven't been following the game too closely, but I just downloaded the game for sixty bucks anyway against my wallet's best wishes. Boy are some of these online levels hit or miss, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not terribly far in with the unlocks, but just going from what I've played/seen so far, the game feels kinda disappointingly empty in terms of aesthetics. Sorta wish there was more in the way of music tracks and backdrops-per-style. The editor's best aspect so far has to be its incredible ease of use, which is like night and day coming from SMW hacking, so I have no complaints about its functionality.

Amiibo costumes have been the biggest personal disappointment of mine so far. I could handle the fact that they could only be used in SMB mode, but the fact that they're power-ups instead of skins, meaning you lose them upon getting hit, just makes them feel like a total oversight when they seemed to have a lot of effort put into them. Not sure how they can implement it the way I was expecting short of SMC style recolors or a later-versions-of SMUSA style heart system, but it pretty much throws a damper into any plans I had for themed stages around a certain costume. And I can't be the only one who thinks being able to only play as Mario is kind of boring. Maybe they'll make new characters DLC later, who knows.

Before I was wondering what the point of coins and extra lives were for, since you can only really share levels and not entire games (which was one of my biggest gripes pre-release), but I guess they're actually useful for the 10/0 Mario things, even if the 100 Mario mode already gives you an abundance of lives to begin with.

Been having fun so far, but I'm afraid I'll get bored of everything in about a week and go back to SMW hacking unless I unlock something bitchin' or there's some amazing DLC on the way. (Also this game made me wish you could change Shulk's voice to Japanese in Smash, it sounds a lot better.)

oti

Banned

You like Mario?
Super Mario Maker = Infinite Mario

clav

So I've been playing with the editor for hours and I only still have tier 1 assets.

Says the next delivery is on Saturday.

Hm.

Not sure how I feel about playing around with the Wii U Clock.

I thought there was an update?

KingBroly

Banned
I hope Nintendo implements some kind of arbitrary minimum completion % for Expert Challenges to encourage people to not make unfair levels. When you see levels playing 80+ times with a 0% completion, you know something is wrong. Especially when these levels are on 100 Mario Challenge Expert Path.

Robin64

The little map showing where people die in your level is super useful, though I wish it was a tad bigger.

COmvNiRWcAAko1P.png

fernoca

Oh...wow!
What I thought was just random-gibberish every time you put an item, it actually says the name of what it is. "Magikoopa"... "P-Switch"... :eek:!

Robin64

The feet icon means the overall amount of people that has played your level or only those who have completed it?

Number of players. There's a little more breakdown, showing that there have been 24 attempts between those 16 players, and only 12 completions.

jiggles

Banned
I made a short, simple level using the initial materials that people are struggling to beat. It doesn't do any huge precision jumps or anything, people just can't seem to get the hang of sliding down walls.

Sliding is underrated - 881E-0000-0011-E802

Boba2007

Bullet Bill Badlands: 3FA8-0000-0012-FD87

The only enemy/hazard I used was regular bill cannons. Not the best course by any means, but I still like how it turned out. What do you think?

fernoca

So I've been playing with the editor for hours and I only still have tier 1 assets.

Says the next delivery is on Saturday.

Hm.

Not sure how I feel about playing around with the Wii U Clock.

I thought there was an update?
Yep.
You need to.
1. First notification that it unlocks next day = place random items/block for a minute or two.

2. You'll receive an "unlocked earlier notification".

3. Use everything you unlocked for a 5 minutes, you'll receive a "next day notification"

4. Rinse and repeat.

BooJoh

After playing around a bit and finally getting everything unlocked, I've uploaded my first level. It's rather easygoing but I'm happy with it. I haven't decided if I'll try to do the rest of the SML levels... I'm thinking it might be possible to simulate the shmup levels but certainly not with any level of accuracy.

WVW69iX1HbkvVt8hLR

Super Mario Land Remix 1-1 (ACE5-0000-0012-FC98)

Top Bottom