• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Conduit thread.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
KevinCow said:

Teehee. Retraction for Gamepro? Naw.

I keep seeing commercials complete with generic epic trailer music for this, at least Sega's pushing it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Few more solid reviews and I might bite. Was going to wait until Little King's Story next month, but resistance is fading. Besides I need something on the days where I'm too sore to play Tiger :lol

BorkBork said:
Teehee. Retraction for Gamepro? Naw.

Doubtful. Apparently making factually incorrect and erroneous statements is an opinion now.

from the reviewer's (taelurkim) twitter:

My mistake was forgetting the passing of the Internet Opinion Act which outlawed opinions on the Internet. I wish I'd voted no now. Haha, thanks? I'd try and respond to all the criticism but I'd have better luck draining the ocean with a teaspoon.

and his Gamepro colleague's [MitchyD] response:

they don't (like the review) -- because it's not in line with what IGN said. Tae's dislike of the controls caught flack with arguments like..."you can change the input". The output was what he knocked. Just a bunch of crybabies not seeing the star count they wanna

These are games 'journalists' ladies and gentlemen.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Danthrax said:
just noticed they forgot to list COD: World at War in their list of Wii FPSes. WaW, BTW, has an 83 on Metacritic.
They didn't add MoH:H2 either...

DevelopmentArrested said:
Doubtful. Apparently making factually incorrect and erroneous statement is an opinion now.

from the reviewer's twitter:

- My mistake was forgetting the passing of the Internet Opinion Act which outlawed opinions on the Internet. I wish I'd voted no now

- Haha, thanks? I'd try and respond to all the criticism but I'd have better luck draining the ocean with a teaspoon.
:lol

jrricky

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Doubtful. Apparently making factually incorrect and erroneous statements is an opinion now.

from the reviewer's (taelurkim) twitter:

and his Gamepro colleague's [MitchyD] response:

These are games 'journalists' ladies and gentlemen.
Holy shit, link to the twitter please?:lol

laserbeam

Banned
He is right he is entitled to an opinion but when he is being tasked to write a review of a product your job is to not half ass it and present bullshit as truth and leave out other key features etc from the public knowledge

laserbeam

Banned
Always-honest said:
so i'm buying this because of responsive controls?

They are sayings its basically like every other shooter your not gonna find mind blowing advances in the genre. The Genre for the most part has been stale for a long time so I dont get why they use it against the Conduit so often.

Penguin

EmCeeGramr said:
Fuck, he's got you guys there. If only input somehow affected output.

That's what gets me about his critic.
In the review, he never really said the output was bad.

And if not mistaken, assigning the melee to a button, would essentially remedy the problem he had with losing sight of aiming.

Meesh

xs_mini_neo said:
Because the FPS genre is full of riveting original storylines and gameplay. If Halo was a movie, it would have won an Academy Award for best picture. Thank god there is no such thing as western cliches.
No, it would suck because Uwe Boll would direct. :D
schuelma Few more solid reviews and I might bite. Was going to wait until Little King's Story next month, but resistance is fading. Besides I need something on the days where I'm too sore to play Tiger
I bit, picked it up after work, and will be playing it this evening.:D

laserbeam said:
They are sayings its basically like every other shooter your not gonna find mind blowing advances in the genre. The Genre for the most part has been stale for a long time so I dont get why they use it against the Conduit so often.

well... true. god damn... i'm tired of shooters right now. fuck 'm.

Taxman

You know, even though that Gamepro review is like the worst piece of writing in years, he still gave it a 3.5/5. A 7 isn't that bad guys.

Mejilan said:
Got the call from my GS tonight to pick it up tomorrow, before noon.
Yup, got my automated call as well.

The reviewer at Gamepro must just really suck or not know how to do it right as I had no problems regaining aim after using the melee attack at E3.

kinggroin

Banned
It's because of the intensity and emotion of the users in this thread that I keep checking this game to see how it's come together, and whether or not I'd buy it. I mean, all this drama can't be over something "eh", right?

RIGHT?!?

...still not buying it. Though I'd love to see this freedom of control used in a fps game with some compelling single-player action. Don't care very much for online competitive multi

Yeah, so anyway, anecdotal evidence.

Just got done playing online, a couple of thoughts:

• The controls are customizable as fuck. I went in near blind multiplayer and my controls were wavering about. when I left I thought, "can I fix this specific problem?" and there was a slider for every one of my gripes. Custom controls are great. There's even a 180 command, which I was desperate for in CoD: WaW. I do wish there was a run button though, as even when I slid it to full I wasn't completely satisfied with the run speed. Make no mistake though, THIS is the standard for Wii FPS right now.

The graphics are clean, but mundane at times. What's there looks great, but there are a lot of flat walls about. Keep in mind though, only played 2 levels so far. Single player looked much more busy, in a good way.

The gunplay is fun. I'm not a big fan of bunny hopping in FPS, but the guns are so responsive to your movements it's not that big of an issue. Only played with a few guns so far, but they all seem to have the appropriate weight. Haven't tried many of the Drudge guns yet.

The second I played multi there where 12 people to play with, no lag (though if this game gets popular that will no doubt change) and while it's gotten really hectic (grenades flying everywhere for one) I haven't seen any slowdown yet.

Oh also, a note about the single play. On the harder difficulty settings, enemies throw grenades and shoot barrels when you're close. It's a small thing, but I love it and conversely hate it when other FPS' don't do it.

Taxman said:
You know, even though that Gamepro review is like the worst piece of writing in years, he still gave it a 3.5/5. A 7 isn't that bad guys.
I found that funny as well. The text is incredibly negative, yet he still gave it a great score.

The text really reminded me of a friend of mine that would go into games wanting to dislike it, but then he would "sorta" like it. The whole time he's digging for negatives while contradicting himself with what he likes.

jrricky

Banned
Robert-GCA said:
Yup, got my automated call as well.

The reviewer at Gamepro must just really suck or not know how to do it right as I had no problems regaining aim after using the melee attack at E3.
Or he just doesn't know how to retract his messup so he adds wood to the fire while falling over with his responses.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Taxman said:
EDIT: I think I misinterpreted what you said. ;)

Just read the review. It's a little patrimonious and condescending, I guess, but nothing to get into a tizzy over. He faults the game's use of motion controls, which I find odd, since I was under the impression that they were fully customisable.

Bizzyb

Banned
laserbeam said:

Maybe it has to do with the "good graphics" syndrome on the HD consoles, but The Conduit is definitely being singled out primarily because it's the first true proper FPS on Wii (and it only took 3 years!)

JimmyV

Banned
aaww fuck! just sold my Wii because I needed to pay off some debts! =( . Well i'll buy it back with my own earned cash and pick this game up for sure. I hope it sells really well to keep High Voltage in business, since their an hour down from me.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just read the review. It's a little patrimonious and condescending, I guess, but nothing to get into a tizzy over. He faults the game's use of motion controls, which I find odd, since I was under the impression that they were fully customisable.

That's basically what people in here are going nuts over.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
JimmyV said:
I hope it sells really well to keep High Voltage in business, since their an hour down from me.
Oh man... go down there and party with Eric!
th_ericnofsinger.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
laserbeam said:

They seem to pick and choose which shooters get slammed because they don't bring a whole lot new to the genre. Seems like the hyped games and sequels to big games are the ones that get a pass (CoD, Halo, what have you), whereas your average Timeshift, Turok, or whatever review will tend to have at least a paragraph talking about how generic they are.

Now before I get jumped on, I'm not saying CoD and Halo aren't great games, or that Timeshift and Turok are better than them. I'm just saying that, while the former may have been executed better than the latter, none of them really brought a whole lot new to the genre, so it seems like a bit of a double standard to slam some for this and let others slide.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Garnett Lee seems to have an opinion on the Conduit as well:
@MitchyD all that customization only amounts to a cry for help trying to adapt the Wiimote to something it just doesn't do all that well
Now it's getting interesting.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
EmCeeGramr said:
oh for fuck's sake just let everybody get this game already so this will end

garnett you're going on the list
:lol

The funny thing about Garnett's comment is that it's hard to tell what the hell he's even talking about. Surely not about the IR controls... right? :lol

Oh twitter...

J-Rock

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:

What did you think about his review of online multiplayer...oh wait...

And thank's for all that info Deacon! Sounds good.

laserbeam

Banned
isnt this cute
@MitchyD Forget words. What i need is one of those Red Faction sledgehammers. And the addresses of everyone who bitches in our comments.
13 minutes ago from web in reply to MitchyD

The crappy reviewer is upset we dont like his review heh

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Fantastical said:
The funny thing about Garnett's comment is that it's hard to tell what the hell he's even talking about. Surely not about the IR controls... right? :lol

I forget if it was him or David Ellis who said they "expect a little more auto aim in a Wii FPS" on Listen Up. Either way, the other person agreed.

Why would you expect more auto aim in an FPS with pointer controls :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
sdizzy said:
I told you Gamepro were out to Flamebait. Console Wars in Professional Gaming office. :lol
They're also trying to turn it into some kind of fight between fans of sites or something.

aegies said:
@MitchyD but OMG it contradicts IGN Wii's review!1! HOW COULD THEY BE WRONG?
MitchyD said:
@aegies that kind of outlet allegiance blows me away. I like places more than others but don't go all "YOU SUCK GEEKBOX, REBEL 4 LYFE11!"

UGH. They brought Rebel FM into this.

laserbeam said:
isnt this cute
@MitchyD Forget words. What i need is one of those Red Faction sledgehammers. And the addresses of everyone who bitches in our comments.
13 minutes ago from web in reply to MitchyD

The crappy reviewer is upset we dont like his review heh
LOL someone is a little sensitive about their unfinished/nontruth laden review.

I just find it funny that there is talk going on about "oh, they don't realize a review is an opinion." No, most of us do. I'm fine with Kim's opinion on the Conduit. I'm just ripping on the writing (grammatically and content).

The funny thing is, after wrestling with the terrible controls for the five hours, thirteen minutes and eleven seconds it took me to beat the game

I will admit that the weapon aiming, a crucial aspect of FPS games that I've never really enjoyed on the Wii or any console game for that matter (I'm a diehard keyboard and mouse fan), is actually handled really well in The Conduit. I'd go so far as to say it's the best I've seen in a Wii title. Turning your viewpoint is smooth and there are menu options that let you customize pretty much every aspect of the interface that you could want. I played with the default and was absolutely happy with it.

I mean, this all occurs in one paragraph. This is ridiculous. He's separating controls and weapon aiming into two categories? Is that it? Nevertheless, it's badly written. It appears to be a contradiction at first glance, and most readers are going to see it as that. There's a reason most professors pound KISS (keep it simple stupid) into a student's face. It works.

There's nothing wrong with not liking the Conduit; you can justify that (look at that, a proper semi-colon). However, you can't justify the writing. That's my beef with it, and I'm getting high school angst.

Haunted

I demand the guys already playing this to stop right this instant until I have my copy
in a couple days.
:mad:

You're all going on the list!

Amir0x

Banned
MitchyD is just angry that Gamepro is so terrible not even the most crazed fanboy would dare use it as ammunition against the game. It's a joke everywhere.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Foxtastical said:
And enough Twitter, it's like the elite cool kid's table in grade school.
Yeah, sorry, I just found it incredibly striking that they would take this to Twitter.

And your name is extremely close to mine... I had to do a double take on the name. :lol

Top Bottom