• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

dallow_bg said:
I'm sure you are, but are you using the correct FW for the 1st gen phone since they're different for the original and 3G?

I actually goofed when trying to update my old first gen with custom 3G FW and couldn't figure out what was wrong for the longest time.
Yes the firmware version might be the issue This the one you need.

Double D

Hey guys, just wondering if it's possible to get an iPhone without the "phone" part. I want to just be able to buy a data plan. Can I do this?

lionelhutz

Vik_Vaughn said:
Hey guys, just wondering if it's possible to get an iPhone without the "phone" part. I want to just be able to buy a data plan. Can I do this?

I don't think so. Closest thing would be the Touch using Wi-Fi.

Mason

Vik_Vaughn said:
So, can the touch do everything an iphone can do aside from phone/3g?

Any app that uses the iPhone's microphone or camera will be kind of useless. But yeah, that's about it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anastacio said:
I already have that firmware downloaded, thanks anyway mate. =)

So now it seems I "finally" ran out of ideas of how to get this thing jailbreaked again.. *suk*
Both your computers have updated .NET Framework installed yes?

Also, maybe try a friends computer (and update their .NET Framework as well) :)
Good luck! :(

Leezard

I have some serious problems with itunes 8.0. Whenever I install it my internet dies. :/ The only way to get it back seems so far to be that handy windows program that can return your system to previous settings ( I don't know what it's called in English).

Anyone experienced something similar to this or know a solution?

LCfiner

NJ x Falkor said:
Where can I download 2.1 Firmware for iPhone 3G??

iTunes is telling me I have the most current version (2.0.2)

you can't. it won't be out till Friday (barring early leaks). only Touch owners have 2.1 now

edit: beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

Pachimari

Yea, both updated .NET framework I think.
I managed to activate the iPhone so I can in fact now use it. I did it with Quickpwn in the Winpwn software, but the actual winpwn part freezes so I can't unlock it..

Pachimari

Anyone know what to do, to get it jailbroken again? It's activated but not jailbroken and unlocked for all SIM cards.. I have tried mostly everything now I believe.

NJ x Falkor said:
Where can I download 2.1 Firmware for iPhone 3G??

iTunes is telling me I have the most current version (2.0.2)

After the bullshit 2.0 caused, I'd suggest waiting it out.

I know I am.

I want to trust Apple, but they've trimmed that wick too short for any more trust.

Gowans

ARG! I updated all my apps/games last night when I went to bed, this morning I just have the apple screen on my iPhone, is it still installing them?

Is it best to wait it out or is there anyway to force my phone on? restarted it a couple of times but its just back to the apple.

Burger

I don't understand why people have so many pieces of software installed on their phone. Some guy said he had around 100 apps ?

I'm happy that my phone is an iPod, can check my mail, and do a couple of other things. It's not an everyday computer.

black_13

Banned
I'm still on 1.0.2 firmwire and have it jailbroken with a couple apps on there.

Is there any point for me to upgrade the fw to 1.1.4 or 2.0?

Gowans

still going, gona give it a few more hours today before I start to worry that my phone is bricked.

Any way to get past this so I can force it on and use my phone?

DGaio

VanMardigan said:
I have no idea how, but my 2yo daughter gets the rewind/play/fast forward controls to show up on the screen even while the phone is locked. So, if I want to mess with a track, I don't have to swipe/unlock every time. For the life of me, I can't figure out what she's done. Anybody know what I have to do to get that functionality?

When the iphone is locked, click twice on the home button and the ipod controls will show up.

Gowans007 said:
still going, gona give it a few more hours today before I start to worry that my phone is bricked.

Any way to get past this so I can force it on and use my phone?

:/ Sounds like your phone is semi bricked.. No harm leaving it for a few hours but I can't see why it would take that long just to load (And you've already restarted so I doubt it's still updating)

You can force it into recovery or DFU mode and restore that way it's probably your best bet

Schlep

Burger said:
It's not an everyday computer.
I don't have 100 apps installed, but I don't on my Macbook Pro or Vista PC either. I do consider the iPhone an everyday computer. I use it for tons of RSS, iPod, email, lots of web browsing at work, NPR news headlines (audio), Twitter, Facebook, AIM, etc etc.

The only two things I don't do on my iPhone that I do on a regular computer are IRC (+other random IM clients) and justin.tv.

Blackhead

Redarse
Schlep said:
I don't have 100 apps installed, but I don't on my Macbook Pro or Vista PC either. I do consider the iPhone an everyday computer. I use it for tons of RSS, iPod, email, lots of web browsing at work, NPR news headlines (audio), Twitter, Facebook, AIM, etc etc.

The only two things I don't do on my iPhone that I do on a regular computer are IRC (+other random IM clients) and justin.tv.

I thought NPR was flash based. How do you get that to work?

And yeah justin.tv is why I want flash on the iPhone. Are there any other streaming sites the iPhone can handle?

Schlep

Not that I know of; they all use flash and Adobe hasn't released an iPhone client yet. Re: NPR, if you go to their website, the very first link on the page should be for their audio headlines (the mobile site, not the full site).

Schlep said:

There is a couple of IRC Clients for Jailbroken phones no idea how well they work though. And IMPlus for the different IM Services.

Blackhead

Redarse
When using the youtube app how can I read the comments for the videos? And is it possible to go to a youtube page in safari without opening the youtube app?

Schlep said:
Not that I know of; they all use flash and Adobe hasn't released an iPhone client yet. Re: NPR, if you go to their website, the very first link on the page should be for their audio headlines (the mobile site, not the full site).

Aight, understand. I know Adobe has been saying they have something developed but apple doesn't want to hear. Any idea if they'll release into the wild for jailbroken phones?

Gowans

MiloFoxburr said:
:/ Sounds like your phone is semi bricked.. No harm leaving it for a few hours but I can't see why it would take that long just to load (And you've already restarted so I doubt it's still updating)

You can force it into recovery or DFU mode and restore that way it's probably your best bet

its still going will give it today but how to I force the recovery/DFU mode incase I need to later?

Wizpig

Vik_Vaughn said:
You might want to buy yourself an iPod Touch.
I don't know the prices in your country, but in MY country the Touch is around 200€, while the iPhone is 500€.
Since i thought "no way i'm going to pay 300€ for the phone features" i'll get an iPod Touch.
If you NEED to connect to the internet even without WiFi, you have to buy an iPhone [or a similar phone, obviously], but if you feel alright with WiFi, no camera and no phone functions i'd say get a Touch.
Just my 2 cents.

Gowans007 said:
its still going will give it today but how to I force the recovery/DFU mode incase I need to later?

For Recovery mode you just turn the iPhone on while holding the home button till you get a connect to iTunes message.

DFU Mode is a bit more complicated but shouldn't be necessary Recovery mode should work fine.

Gowans

MiloFoxburr said:
For Recovery mode you just turn the iPhone on while holding the home button till you get a connect to iTunes message.

DFU Mode is a bit more complicated but shouldn't be necessary Recovery mode should work fine.

ok all I have seen for hours is the white apple on a black background.

I can turn it off by holding down the power and home button.

When I turn it back on holding down the home button I just get the white apple and black screen again.

???

Tanned Greyface said:
When using the youtube app how can I read the comments for the videos? And is it possible to go to a youtube page in safari without opening the youtube app?

Aight, understand. I know Adobe has been saying they have something developed but apple doesn't want to hear. Any idea if they'll release into the wild for jailbroken phones?

Not a chance in hell.

hirokazu

Anastacio said:
When I used the custom file it created for me after having freezed, iTunes just gave me an error; I think it was (1609). And I restored the iPhone to the official 2.0.2 through iTunes before using winpwn. Nothing seems to work so far.. =/
But did you put the iPhone into DFU mode manually without having winpwn open (and therefore crashing) on you before you tried that restore? Or did you just try the restore immediately having winpwn crash, or even attempted to restore using the pwned IPSW without the phone being in DFU mode?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So it seems like iTunes 8 just screwed up my XP? It crashed my pc when I was syncing my phone, then when I tried to restart the computer, it told me Windows could not boot up because it was missing a file. grrrrr.

I'll try again this afternoon after work, and I don't even know if i still have the Windows disc on my home computer. What.the.Hell.

Talk about a rough introduction into the world of Apple for me. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Burger said:
I don't understand why people have so many pieces of software installed on their phone. Some guy said he had around 100 apps ?

I'm happy that my phone is an iPod, can check my mail, and do a couple of other things. It's not an everyday computer.
You're not using it to its full potential.

I do have a ton of apps and for the most part (safari crashes :ARG:) it's just fine.

As buggy as the software is, I would never update 30 apps at the same time though.
I update them as they come, which is usually 1 or 2 at a time.

Az

GAF I your help

this guy wants to sell me his slightly used in good condition 8GB iphone for $475. Is that to much? And also would need to get it unlocked since I have T-Mobile.

AzRim904 said:
GAF I your help

this guy wants to sell me his slightly used in good condition 8GB iphone for $475. Is that to much? And also would need to get it unlocked since I have T-Mobile.

Assuming it isn't 3G..... yeah, that's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much (Paid $210 for mine) I'm with Tmobile as well. Found mine on Craigslist..

AzRim904 said:
GAF I your help

Seeing as you can buy a brand new iPhone for $199 yes, I'd say that's WAY too much. Hell check out eBay first too.

There was an article going around last week that said 1st Gen iPhones were selling for $500+ used on eBay. Apparently there is a big market for them since they are easily unlocked and jailbroken, and can be used in a lot of places around the world.

If you don't fall into those categories though, I wouldn't pay that much. But the $199 fee is for signing a two year contract with AT&T, so I guess you'd want one that could be unlocked.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They are not going for anywhere near that much unless it's 16GB possibly.

I just sold two first gen phones (8gb) for $320 and $300 respectively for friends.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AzRim904 said:
Sorry I forgot to include that it is a 3G, bout a month old I think
How does he have an unlocked 3G?
Are you not in the States?

If it truly is an unlocked 3G that you can use T-Mobile with, then $475 is a bargain.

They sell for $700+ on ebay for unlocked versions.

Az

Its not unlocked but he said he knows someone that could do it...

So I would not pay him unless my T-mobile sim works with youtube etc.

What is the best way to unlock the 3G to have all the features? Money is not a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom