• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release Date: June 29, 2007 - 6:00 PM

specs_hero20070621.png

Site
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Ads
http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

Demonstration by Steve Jobs
Part 1 - Unveiling
Part 2 - Revolutionary User Interface
Part 3 - iPod
Part 4 - Phone
Part 5 - Internet
Part 6 - Google Maps / Widgets

YouTube

Specs
Screen size - 3.5 inches
Screen resolution - 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method - Multi-touch
Operating system - OS X

Storage - 4GB or 8GB

Wireless Data:
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0

Camera - 2.0 megapixels

Battery - iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.* In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time.

Dimensions - 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

Weighy - 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Price
$499 - 4GB
$599 - 8GB

gallery2_20070621.png

gallery1_20070621.png

gallery3_20070621.png

gallery8_20070621.png

Apple obviously has another grand slam on its hands.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A bit premature, it's 25 days away!

We don't even have an official WWDC thread yet, and that's next week.

Nash said:
A bit premature, it's 25 days away!

We don't even have an official WWDC thread yet, and that's next week.
as if all the iPhone related info can't go in here.

we have a release date, and ads running. the time has come.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
castle007 said:
are there any videos showing the strength of the screen??
HOW CAN YOU ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS WITH PEOPLE STARVING?
imastalker co. said:
drop it once, and kiss it goodbye. there's always luck i guess.
that's not a future i like.

Fusebox

Banned
imastalker co. said:
all the other info i put in the first post does a better job at proving that point.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever owned a mobile phone before now? Because apart from running a closed OSX platform the iPhone specs are barely different to the 02 XDA PDA-phone I owned about 3 years ago. Touch-screen, bt, wifi, crap camera, vids, mp3s etc - the only remotely new featurea I see in your list of info is the 4/8GB storage and the OSX platform.

I really want one of these. It's not the price that's keeping me away (though it is quite high). The X-factor, and what will probably keep me from getting one, is the monthly price. A voice plan runs about $40-$50. An unlimited data plan $35min. That's like $80 a month for my phone service... I don't have that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fusebox said:
Just out of curiosity, have you ever owned a mobile phone before now? Because apart from running a closed OSX platform the iPhone specs are barely different to the 02 XDA PDA-phone I owned about 3 years ago. Touch-screen, bt, wifi, crap camera, vids, mp3s etc - the only remotely new featurea I see in your list of info is the 4/8GB storage and the OSX platform.

Watch the multitouch demos.

And the interface and the speed of it, plus the way the different features are integrated, is what makes it stands out. Like the iPod, if it does what it's meant to do with the least amount of hassle it will win a lot of fans.

On the subject of the camera, some photos stamped as being taken by the iPhone appeared on Flickr a couple of months ago and they were very impressive. Comparable to my SonyEricsson K800i, which is the first cameraphone I've owned that's actually been worthwhile using.

xsarien

daedsiluap
StrikerObi said:
I really want one of these. It's not the price that's keeping me away (though it is quite high). The X-factor, and what will probably keep me from getting one, is the monthly price. A voice plan runs about $40-$50. An unlimited data plan $35min. That's like $80 a month for my phone service... I don't have that.

BUT IT'S THE FUTURE.
IN YOUR HANDS!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
imastalker is just trying to drum up the apple stock price! Don't fall for his game friends!

I am curious though, why is this so much different from say, a Motorola Q, a Blackberry Perl, or a Blackjack? The larger screen and the fact that it's a touch screen?

Edit: Answered by Nash, I guess.

Wellington said:
I am curious though, why is this so much different from say, a Motorola Q, a Blackberry Perl, or a Blackjack? The larger screen and the fact that it's a touch screen?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

watch the videos in the first post!!!

Fusebox

Banned
imastalker co. said:
:lol

just watch the videos already dude. the interface speaks for itself.

You honestly think adding a slightly new interface to existing hardware functionality is like having 'the future' in your hand?

castle007

Banned
Wellington said:
imastalker is just trying to drum up the apple stock price! Don't fall for his game friends!

seriously?

scorcho

Wellington said:

because it's the future, in your hands. obviously.

on a serious note - it isn't and won't compete with those products. this is a luxury item with a feature set that can't match business-oriented phones.

Fusebox said:
You honestly think adding a slightly new interface to existing hardware functionality is like having 'the future' in your hand?
slightly new?

man, why are you so desperate to hate on the iPhone?

Fusebox

Banned
imastalker co. said:
slightly new?

Yeah, imo compared to other touch-screen phones it's slightly new. Like I already asked - is this your first phone or something?

And if this is the 'official' thread I'll repost my earlier query:

Are there two different models available? Look at the difference in size of these two ads...

528856273_8f19bbb675.jpg

528856295_ef21b9786a.jpg

Baby-hands in the first? Or giant-paws in the second?

scorcho

imastalker co. said:
man, why are you so desperate to hate on the iPhone?
it matches your desperate praise of the iPhone. this is a fair and balanced thread!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
salva said:
so we can say that when the iPhone launches there will be a major price drop on other cellphones?

Nah, nearly all other cellphones are subsidised to the point of being free anyway.

The iPhone will be kept as a premium item for a good while, and benefit in the eye of the buying public for that. Then Apple will just expand the range of iPhones if it does well, as happened with the iPod Mini/Nano.

The premium phone market worked well for Nokia for ages, with the 8800 range of phones. But then Nokia lost it's 'cool'. Apple are perfectly placed to fill this gap.

Fusebox said:

The Diamond Rio did what the iPod did years before iPod was a twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye. Why didn't the Rio take while the iPod is a runaway success? Simple. The iPod does what it should do in the best way possible. That's Apple's thing. They make interfaces that blow everything else away. It works the way it should work and it does it beautifully.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
scorcho said:
because it's the future, in your hands. obviously.

on a serious note - it isn't and won't compete with those products. this is a luxury item with a feature set that can't match business-oriented phones.

Look I don't know, I never used any of these phones. But I am in the market for one of these new-fangled 'do all' phones next month. So please, I just want to help johnny's bottomline by asking questions that I am sure others have but are too nervous to ask.

It looks like the integration of the multimedia is what separates this and the other phones. So essentially it's a combination of what would have been next-gen iPod features and a smartphone?

aoi tsuki

Fusebox said:
Yeah, imo compared to other touch-screen phones it's slightly new. Like I already asked - is this your first phone or something?

And if this is the 'official' thread I'll repost my earlier query:

Are there two different models available? Look at the difference in size of these two ads...

528856273_8f19bbb675.jpg

528856295_ef21b9786a.jpg

Baby-hands in the first? Or giant-paws in the second?
It's 2.4" x 4.5" x .46", or closer to the second image. The way Steve holds it i imagine it's tiny, but maybe he also has monstrous hands.

Wellington -- watch the keynote, or at least the part where Steve demos the features. The multitouch is one of the bigger features to me. One of the biggest downsides to current touchscreen tech is that it only recognizes one small area at a time, and multitouch fixes that. The impressive thing isn't the fact that the iPhone is rife with new tech, but that it's brought together in a very polished package. Typical Apple.

Wellington said:
Look I don't know, I never used any of these phones. But I am in the market for one of these new-fangled 'do all' phones next month. So please, I just want to help johnny's bottomline by asking questions that I am sure others have but are too nervous to ask.

It looks like the integration of the multimedia is what separates this and the other phones. So essentially it's a combination of what would have been next-gen iPod features and a smartphone?

That plus a full web-browsing platform. It's not WAP. It's a full version of the Safari browser from OS X, with a touch/zoom interface.

Wellington said:
correct. but it also has an interface that blows everything away. the internet is much better on it as well.

Wellington, do yourself a favor and just check out the videos when you have a few minutes.

aoi tsuki said:
It's 2.4" x 4.5" x .46", or closer to the second image. The way Steve holds it i imagine it's tiny, but maybe he also has monstrous hands.
according to jobs, it's thinner then all the smartphones out there. the ones that matter atleast.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wellington said:

Yeah, this is effectively a preview of the 6th Gen. iPod + phone capabilities.

I still carry my phone and an iPod, because of usability issues. Same with the PSP. I just hate selecting mp3's/videos etc. on anything other than an iPod. The iPod interface on the iPhone is stunning -both practical and impressive to boot. If I did get an iPhone it would be the first time I'd probably have a 'do-all' device. And that interests me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Watched the phone video.. because the pleasant look of the interface, I wasn't particuarly impressed.... plus I was under the impression many phones have soft buttons that change functionality based on the app... but maybe that was just my imagination.

Still it'll sell a boatload and fans will proclaim it the next big thing that will change the cellphone world.....

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Nash said:

I still carry my phone and an iPod, because of usability issues. Same with the PSP. I just hate selecting mp3's/videos etc. on anything other than an iPod. The iPod interface on the iPhone is stunning -both practical and impressive to boot. If I did get an iPhone it would be the first time I'd probably have a 'do-all' device. And that interests me.

Yes I agree. But what about battery life? I'm assuming it can't be much worse than the current video iPod. Looks like at 4GB and 8GB the storage media could be solid state.

Even though it wouldn't be practical to carry all your music on that thing, 8GB would be sufficient for music/video I guess.

mrkgoo

Wellington said:

Edit: Answered by Nash, I guess.

Yah, what nash said.

I'm not a huge fan of the device, partially because it's a pipe dream for me at the moment (price, availbilty of the unit here, and also the services). However looking at the first ad, showing off the media browsing demonstrates again why it's so snazzy - it's that multitouch screen (which is conductive, I believe -won't work with a stylus). Just using it to browse media looks so nice. It's the little things. Form the looks of it, making the gesture to browse, such as moving through cover flow, going to next picture etc... it doesn't just signal for the images to scroll forward, but it seems to actually 'scroll' under your finger - much like the map screen on DS. If that's true, it's that kind of interface that allows a better unification between the interface and enduser. It may seem a small thing, but it will make the device feel much more natural than any other system, touch screen or no.

I'd buy it for a media device alone, if it had more than 8GB storage.

Saoh

buy this shit people!!! buy it! so the next-gen of video iPods with touch screen comes cheap/not-$600

imastalker co. said:
Up to 5 hoursTalk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hoursAudio playback

A bit low compared to my non-smart phone and Video iPod, which kind of sucks, but comparable to other smartphones. That screen must be such a huge power drainer.

If I parse it out I talk for less than an hour on my cell phone daily. So that's a fifth of the battery right there. I would probably use browsing the same amount, so that's two fifths drained, leaving about 9 hours left for audio. It doesn't seem to bad. The one thing they don't mention though, is how much standby battery it has. If I charge it and leave it on my desk unused, how long will it last? I'm worried about this, mostly because it hasn't been mentioned. Still though, it should be able to go at least two days (for me) without needing a charge based on the info they have provided thus far.

mrkgoo

Nash said:

God, if an iPod comes out, with HD (or super size flash, preferably) I'd be all over it. Movies, photos, music.

the phone features are nice, and wifi connectivity means I'd probably wander around the house and browse the web on the toilet, but not what I need right now.

But again that first video is awesome - "there's never been an ipod..", showing off coverflow and snazzy features, and then ending with a call.

*sold*

not really - I possibly am getting a Nokia6300 soon, so I doubt I could get an iPhone in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom