• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AlphaSnake said:
I don't see what the problem would be, duder. Do it!!
Just don't want it to get insta-closed after putting in all the effort cause there's already an official thread is all.

If enough people want it, I think it'd definitely be worth making...if for no other reason than to limit the number of repeated questions.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
RubxQub said:
Just don't want it to get insta-closed after putting in all the effort cause there's already an official thread is all.

If enough people want it, I think it'd definitely be worth making...if for no other reason than to limit the number of repeated questions.

I think it'd be a justifiable and tidy thread considering how packed this one is. Idk, make the opening post clear to the mods so they understand the point. We can't update the OP in this one since the thread maker is perma banned.

DarkJC

It would be different if the OP was still around and active enough to update the OP, but since he's banned, I definitely think there should be a new thread.

Make sure the OP has a recommended cases and a "check out these apps" section at the very least :lol

EDIT: Btw, Tweetie 2 was just posted on iTunes, for those who are interested

Geohot just updated his twitter with this

35060301-7e85a8ddb9a65440619aa787a2e065dc.4acfa34b-full.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm looking for a personal finance app.

Here's what I want:
- Ability for a monthly or periodical budget and to show if I've overspent or underspent.
- Ability to hold multiple accounts and their balances, including debt and assets.
- Ability to handle recurring transactions (IE Bill on the first of every month for <x>, Bill every second monday for <x>, etc).
- Ability to classify manually entered transactions by expense category. Food, Transportation, etc. Ideally it would also hold vendor and have a subcategory, so I can put: Food -> Groceries -> Wal-Mart, or Food -> Lunch -> Taste of Thai.
- Ideally would allow me to take photos of my receipt and attach to the expense.
- Password lock would be nice.

I'm currently using iXpenseIt, which doesn't seem to hold account balances or handle recurring transactions. It also occasionally crashes.

Free is better than pay.

Any suggestions?

RubxQub

Alright, I have the first draft of the new OP ready and made and I think it's decent enough to post.

Final yay/nay on the new thread...go!

RubxQub

This is the new OP, btw.... I'm just looking for iPhone Official Thread user approval (and mod approval if possible) before I create the new thread. Not sure if everyone wants one or not.

iphone-banner.jpg

Welcome to the new official thread! Everyone seemed to agree that the last thread was not only monstrous, but the OP always really did nothing (banned user), while it could be providing useful information! I intend to be keeping this OP full of relevant information as well useful links as things change.

Feel free to recommend things to add to the OP to make this as useful as possible.

Device Comparison
iPhonevsiPodTouch.png

Anatomy of an iPhone
iPhoneAtGlance.png

Hotkeys
Sleep Device - Tap Power
Turn off Device - Hold Power
Reset Device - Hold Home and Power
Take Screenshot - Hold Home and tap Power
Custom Setting (change this under Settings > General > Home) - Double Tap Home
Voice Control (3GS only) - Hold Home

Jailbreaking and Unlocking
Jailbreaking - Opening up iPhone OS which allows for installation of applications not available in the App Store.

Unlocking - Opening up the iPhone device to other cellular networks.

Latest Update Information
Screenshot2009-10-09at50909PM.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the best apps for this device now that I've got one?
A: Check out the app threads in the links section below.

Q: How do you jailbreak or unlock my device?
A: Check out the GeoHot pages or the Dev-Blog pages in the links section below.

Q: How do I change my icons and backgrounds?
A: You must jailbreak your device and install various programs from Cydia.

Q: How do I rearrange my icons on the device?
A: You can do this either through iTunes by clicking your device when it's connected and clicking on the "Apps" tab, or on your device itself by pressing and holding on an icon until it starts shaking, then shift it around. Press the Home button when you are done.

Q: How do you take a screenshot with your device?
A: Hold in the Home button and tap the Power button. Picture will appear in your camera roll under the Pictures app.

Q: Sound is only coming out of one side on my phone (I see two holes, but only one is making noise). Is something broken?
A: No, the left hole is a speaker, the right hole is the microphone.

Q: What case should I get for my device?
A: I personally don't think you need one. They heat up your device more than it should and add bulk. The screens are naturally very scratch resistant and being super thin is one of the best parts about these things. If you really want a case, I think these guys have awesome ones.

Q: When are they coming out with new iPhones?
A: Always check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide before purchasing an iPhone (or any Apple product for that matter)

Q: Will I have to pay for major OS updates on my iPod Touch?
A: Always assume that yes, you will.

Useful Links
Official Apple iPhone Page
Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread
Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Recommendation Thread
Apple iPhone/iPod Touch App Discussion and Recommendations Thread
NeoGAF WebApp (bookmark this immediately on your device, and drop in here to thank ckohler)
Dev Blog Team (Jailbreak/Unlock)
GeoHot's iPhone Blog (Jailbreak/Unlock) and Twitter

Looks awesome, but one thing. People will still ask for more case recommendations since you only listed one. You should just add on a few more, like Speck, Otterbox, iSkin, whatever to give them more options to let. this. question. die.

dyls

Nice OP!

Under Hotkeys, I would add something about the 'doubletap the home button while locked to bring up iPod functions.' A lot of people ask me why the iPod stuff suddenly shows up on their screen.

RubxQub

dyls said:
Nice OP!

Under Hotkeys, I would add something about the 'doubletap the home button while locked to bring up iPod functions.' A lot of people ask me why the iPod stuff suddenly shows up on their screen.
It's in there under "Custom Settings".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom