• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrkgoo said:
Interesting - I know it's obviously a very personal thing, but I have not one of your essential, cannot live without apps. Not one.

For me, I think most of the essential apps are actually covered by the default Apple apps.

Some converter/currency app is important for me, however.

:lol Really? Well I guess that's the cool thing about iPhone, it becomes whatever you personally need. Take that, "myTouch 3g"!

Chorazin

Essential apps? I can list a few:

Flickr - the official free Flickr app is the best, IMO
I Can Has Cheezburger - LOLs on the go!
USA Today - Replaces the Weather Channel App and gives me the news
Byline - if you use Google Reader GET THIS APP! It's so fast, cashes for offline reading and has all the features of Google Reader. So awesome
Wikiamo - handles Wikipedia really well
Kindle - Amazon has TONS of free books on the Kindle Store, you'll find at least a few books to read on the bus/passenger in a car/crapper
TUAW - Apple news
Amazon - I buy SO MUCH from Amazon, it's great to compair prices in the store and then order when Amazon is cheaper, also great to manage pre-orders and such.
Starbucks - It's really cool to design your own drinks and send them to your friends with iPhones/touches. Having nutrition info for all the drinks is really nice as well if you watch your diet.

Those are just a few of the appls I use every day!

LCfiner

Chorazin said:
Essential apps? I can list a few:

I Can Has Cheezburger - LOLs on the go!

What does it say about us that Lolcats can be considered essential?

don't take it the wrong way. Heck, I consider the neogaf webapp essential, too :lol

There's an ICHC app?! Gonna Download that then.

Also, fuck the Amazon app. I do NOT need the ability to spend my money whenever the mood strikes me from where ever I am. D=

Firestorm

My essential apps:
Last.fm
Fring
3GUnrestrictor (Jailbroken)
Backgrounder (Jailbroken)
jet1911 said:
50$ (student plan)

150min
unlimited weekend/night starts at 5
free top10 everywhere in Canada
500mb
Before SAF + taxes I guess?

jet1911

Firestorm said:
My essential apps:
Last.fm
Fring
3GUnrestrictor (Jailbroken)
Backgrounder (Jailbroken)
Before SAF + taxes I guess?

Yeah... I'm still getting ripped off no matter what. But it's too useful for me to not have it. Just the gps is worth it for me (I will sold my Garmin Vista HCx to pay the iPhone).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
RubxQub said:
Welcome fellow Apple Fucker!

We've got your plain black sweater, square rimmed glasses and Apple decal ready for you when you get your iPhone.

Our next meeting is going to be about how we can modify our Toyota Prius' to look like giant apples. We'll be meeting at the Starbucks on Earth Day.

See you there AppleSnake!

AppleSnake? Damn you! No! I know how this starts...you get one Apple product, then you want another, and another. It doesn't end.

Hmmm, I do need a new computer, though... :\

Granted, the iPhone won't be my first Apple product, I used to have a 3rd-gen iPod (best ever, imo), but the hard drive failed.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AlphaSnake said:
AppleSnake? Damn you! No! I know how this starts...you get one Apple product, then you want another, and another. It doesn't end. Hmmm, I do need a new computer too... =)

Granted, the iPhone won't be my first Apple product, I used to have a 3rd-gen iPod (best ever, imo), but the hard drive failed.
I went the more extreme route. I bought a Macbook Pro, and that waterfalled into an iPhone, 2 airport extreme routers, 1 airport express router, a Macbook for the wife and a MacMini as a media center PC for my TV.

Shit's a virus! MACS DON'T GET VIRUSES BECAUSE THEY ARE VIRUSES!!!

Stryder

I'm hoping to JB my 3.1 3gs with this new exploit when it becomes available but am a total noob when it comes to skinning and adding new features to my iPhone. Is there a good post/thread or site on how to start with all of this?

Stryder said:
I'm hoping to JB my 3.1 3gs with this new exploit when it becomes available but am a total noob when it comes to skinning and adding new features to my iPhone. Is there a good post/thread or site on how to start with all of this?

THIS.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Just chiming in to say that to celebrate getting a new job after being 8 months unemployed, I bought myself a 32 GB 3GS this Monday. I fucking love it; the best $300 I've ever spent and AT&T is pretty good in Chicago so far. I'm actually getting twice as many bars in my bedroom compared with T-mobile.

However, I've one problem. Why is Bono on my phone?

3da16

21f0e

Phobophile said:
Just chiming in to say that to celebrate getting a new job after being 8 months unemployed, I bought myself a 32 GB 3GS this Monday. I fucking love it; the best $300 I've ever spent and AT&T is pretty good in Chicago so far. I'm actually getting twice as many bars in my bedroom compared with T-mobile.

However, I've one problem. Why is Bono on my phone?

3da16

21f0e

HAHAHA Nice man. BTW, as someone who just bought his first apple product, let me say that the phone is killer! Enjoy it :)

tmdorsey

Phone is great. Browsing GAF using the web app makes sitting in the waiting room at a doctor's office close to painless.

And earlier today I needed to figure out quickly how many teaspoons make up a tablespoon and the convertbot app came through brilliantly. I swear I love this phone more and more everyday and I don't think I could do without it.

I will say it sucks Google Sync for email is sucking ass right now, but IMAP with 15 min fetch intervals is good enough for my purposes like it was before. Again though, just how easy it is to get gmail setup on the damn thing is awesome.

Essential apps...

Google - voice googling is the coolest thing since ever
Facebook - probably the app I use the most, and before I got an iPhone I was NEVER on facebook. I love being able to upload pics and videos straight from my phone instantly.
USAA - This is a great app if you bank with USAA, you can deposit checks with an iPhone using Deposit@Mobile, extremely cool if you're lazy like me
ScoreCenter - this app is actually pretty crappy but I haven't found a better alternative for checking sports scores
NeoGAF
PhotoSwap - it's a pretty crappily made app but it's fun if you get a good photo chain going with someone, it's my go-to app when I'm bored
Surf Report - great for seeing what the surf is going to be like next weekend.
Fandango - Better than Flixter and you can order tickets easily
Pandora - streaming music radio, probably the app I use the most at work
Real Racing & FlightControl - If you want to see what the iPhone is capable of gamingwise you can do worse than download some games from the good folks at Firemint
Mr.AahH!!- awesome old school feeling game with great understated graphics. Brings back good memories
GeoDefense Swarm - The best tower defense game on the iPhone. Extremely addictive

I have a lot more apps than that but those are the ones I would not want to do without.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
All right, we are talking about must have apps? I'll chime in:

myWireless AT&T - you know the drill; I seriously use it to see how many GBs I'm using THIS month... retarded amounts of data have come and gone on my phone

AwesomeNote - because it's awesome and beats the snot out of the normal notepad

Navigon - a little GPS action; it's seriously an awesome app

Dictionary.com - I'm a writer, and I tend to write on my macbook, but when I don't have that handy or I'm writing by hand, this is much better than lugging around a bunch of books

The Weather Channel - cause I work at night and my day is all sorts of switched around, I never know what the weather is like

NeoGAF - haha

Facebook - the updates are glorious; I can interact with my fan page now and update about my writing

Echofon - was using it like crazy before, but I set my Facebook fan page to update my twitter account so...

Camera Genius - 4x Digital Zoom; big button; hold steady to take a picture; etc

BeejiveIM - connect to AIM, Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, Myspace IM, MSN, Jabber, ICQ all at once; it's the Adium of iPhone

Dropbox - just set it up and now need to start putting stuff in it

Etrade Mobile Pro - because I do all of my investing through Etrade

Home Budget Lite/Mint.com - I got Mint first, but never messed with it; downloaded Home Budget Lite to see if it can replicate the way I do my budget spreadsheet; it seems workable so I might be using that instead

RedLaser - because it saved me $20 on a Wacom Bamboo tablet this past weekend

WootWatch - I check it every day... every... single... day... ugh

RepairPal - finding out if your mechanic is screwing you is always a plus

Urbanspoon - the commercials sold me on the phone; from that moment forward, I thought the thing was pretty damn cool

Yelp - the Alternate Reality stuff is actually cool and I'm going to use it on my vacation this weekend

Shazam - haven't used it yet, but I am going to the music capital of Ohio soon

Pandora - like finding out about new music

Mevo - a suggestion by a podcast; it's short but decent

Tetris - the wife really wanted it but without the original music we just don't get into it as much; still hella fun with the different modes

Peggle - this is on every device I own... I hate Pop Cap

SpeedTest - I like to see if my 3G speed has gone up; in Cincinnati, it's actually gone up in the last month, which is freakin' awesome

mrkgoo

Alfarif said:
Tetris - the wife really wanted it but without the original music we just don't get into it as much; still hella fun with the different modes

You know, since eit actually has in app iPod control, I just point to my Tetris remix I have and play it on that :D

I'm thinking about switching back to T-Mobile, only because it's so much fucking cheaper than AT&T. Any iPhone users on T-Mobile? How is the service/data plan? Any plan I need to buy specifically?

Alfarif

mrkgoo said:
You know, since eit actually has in app iPod control, I just point to my Tetris remix I have and play it on that :D

I am seriously thinking of just grabbing all the original Gameboy music and having at it. There's something about that nostalgia that makes Tetris an awesome game... I can still hum all three tracks and I haven't played that version of the game in almost 20 years. Ridiculous.

AlphaSnake

RubxQub said:
I went the more extreme route. I bought a Macbook Pro, and that waterfalled into an iPhone, 2 airport extreme routers, 1 airport express router, a Macbook for the wife and a MacMini as a media center PC for my TV.

My God...my brain just assploded. :O

Alfarif

RubxQub said:

I went up then down. I did the iPod thing first... then got a Macbook... then Apple Extreme Router... almost bought an Apple TV as well... then got two iPod Touches... then two iPhones... and pretty soon I will be purchasing two mid-high end iMacs. I would splurge on a Mac Pro and a lower end iMac, but I need both computers to be "beefy." It's like a god damn rollercoaster, but, yeah, Apple basically roped me into buying ALL of their shit. I have NO idea how it happened, but it was like I couldn't stop.

AlphaSnake

Fuck. Guys, I'm anxious to go and get the damn thing already. At first I wanted an 8GB 3G. But I figured, whatever, for an extra $100 I'll get the damn 3GS.

It's already beginning...

Alfarif

AlphaSnake said:
Fuck. Guys, I'm anxious to go and get the damn thing already. At first I wanted an 8GB 3G. But I figured, whatever, for an extra $100 I'll get the damn 3GS.

*sly smile*

Just don't be like me and read every page of this thread from the very beginning because you want to "experience" the excitement of the launch, then the 3G coming out, and the crazy ass stories of people getting their SUVs lifted up by TWO TOW TRUCKS ON OPPOSITE ENDS.

... that's what Apple products have done to me.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
AlphaSnake said:

For the love of all that is good in this world, find the extra hundred bucks.

Mar

RubxQub said:

:lol

It's funny because it's true. You spend half your life shitting on Apple products, then you buy one... Then you're really fucked.

Bought a Touch, then gave that to my wife and bought an iPhone. Then convinced my wife to buy a Macbook, then she bought an iPhone, then I bought a Macbook.

Soon we'll buy a timemachine and maybe an AppleTV too. And I'm still trying to convince my boss to buy me a Mac Mini for work. If he doesn't I think I'm just going to buy one myself...

Tobor

For me it all started with my sheer frustration at Winamp and Windows Media Player. I figured I would download iTunes after years of hating on it. Next thing I knew, I bought an 80GB iPod, then the iPhone, then a Macbook, then an Apple TV.

It's definitely a sickness, I'm chasing that great UI high. If Apple made a refrigerator, I'd buy it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Alfarif said:
*sly smile*

Just don't be like me and read every page of this thread from the very beginning because you want to "experience" the excitement of the launch, then the 3G coming out, and the crazy ass stories of people getting their SUVs lifted up by TWO TOW TRUCKS ON OPPOSITE ENDS.

... that's what Apple products have done to me.
:lol Wait what?! I missed that

red shoe paul said:
I'm thinking about switching back to T-Mobile, only because it's so much fucking cheaper than AT&T. Any iPhone users on T-Mobile? How is the service/data plan? Any plan I need to buy specifically?

From the Smarthphone Yes/No thread
mrkgoo said:
I use an iPhone on T-mobile prepaid. I spend like $5 (maybe $10 on a busy month), mostly on texts. I don't have data plan. Boy, the sidekick prepaid data plan was sweet. $1 a day unlimited text and data. But they recently kicked off iPhone users. Dammit. I could live without my iPhone, I guess. But it is my iPod, and my main games device now.
I guess you'll have to sign up for one of their Blackberry type data plans but you'll only be able to use Edge

jts

...hate me...
Let's hope that it doesn't fuck up blackra1n, but even if it does, I couldn't give 2 shits about that changelog so I'll just stick to 3.1.

evil ways

red shoe paul said:

I'm thinking the other way around, going legit to AT&T. T-Mobile service is good and it was cool the first few months when I was like "haw haw, I have my 2G running on T-Mob for $70 a month, take that AT&T". But now I want a 3GS, and want 3G speed data, plus I did the math and with a Family Talk plan, with unlimited data and texts, I'd be paying around $80+ tax, and 90% of my calls will be free since my gf will be sharing the 2nd line, and most of my family and friends are with AT&T. I don't talk much so, rollover will be nice.

Costanza

Banned
jts said:
Let's hope that it doesn't fuck up blackra1n, but even if it does, I couldn't give 2 shits about that changelog so I'll just stick to 3.1.
geohot - "phew, dodged a bullet with 3.1.2...still vulnerable and blackra1n worked perfectly on my 3gs"

aku:jiki

jts said:
Not possible. As far as I understand, one of the exploits they're all using (it's not just Geohot, all the teams are making 3.1 jailbreaks and working together a little bit; check their twitters) is brand new and was revealed like 2 days ago. Apple can't work that fast.

Judging from his tweets, the status is that iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS, both 3.1, are jailbroken, but he wants blackra1n to be "the ultimate" so he's making it work on all older versions now. Kinda sucks for us stuck on 3.1 OOTB but whatever, he seems to work amazingly fast.

Oh, he woke up now. Yeah, I've been following the updates all day at work... :lol
He confirmed that 3.1.2 is still fine. He's got the old versions running now, just needs to tweak blackra1n stability. :D

Manics

Banned
jts said:

"Includes bug fixes and improvements INCLUDING the following:"

Those 3 things aren't the only fixes, they just didn't list them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom