• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispyben

I think I'll be taking the plunge this week, with SFR (aka Vodafone in France). Here's my plan:

- 55€/month
- 12 months
- 2H + 2H in the evenings and on weekends
- 1 GB of data
- unlimited SMS/MMS

16 GB costs 149€, 32 GB costs 229€. Now, what's the advantage in having 16 or 32 GB of space? I mean, what space do the apps take up?

Blackhead

Redarse
jonnybryce said:
I took my 3GS out of my case because I really don't care anymore. The back gets smudgy and it's very difficult to get a good grip, it felt like a bar of soap. I happily put it back into my case when I got home. I love the thinness but it is so slippery.
I had to remove my case the other day, so I could reinsert the SIM Card, and it felt weird. But if you think the bareback 3GS is thin grab any the iPod Touch and marvel that an iPhone OS device can be so small. It feels like a third the size of my phone.

jonnybryce said:
Oh man I love that browser. I really love the hyperscroll and how it allows me to simply hit a down arrow instead of constantly flicking my thumb up to scroll down...that was so annoying for reading any websites or articles, but sucked the most for frequenting blogs. Safari was replaced on my dock with APB.

I expect some new tab features, like the ability to open a link in a new tab (it shows this on the screenshot in the app store but mine can't doesn't give me that option, I need it), and a way to have the hyperscroll bar always on, even at launch. Otherwise I can't imagine what would make it better.

But... it looks so ugly and cluttered. I mean, if peeps were complaining about awesomenote... the only feature it has I'm missing in Safari is fullscreen mode and you can do much more with safari.

crispyben said:
I think I'll be taking the plunge this week, with SFR (aka Vodafone in France). Here's my plan:

- 55€/month
- 12 months
- 2H + 2H in the evenings and on weekends
- 1 GB of data
- unlimited SMS/MMS

16 GB costs 149€, 32 GB costs 229€. Now, what's the advantage in having 16 or 32 GB of space? I mean, what space do the apps take up?
Apart from a specific few apps (turn by turn apps run up to hundreds of MB and a few games like Myst are also very large) most are smaller than 10 MB. Apps shouldn't be taken into consideration, the real question is how many movies, podcasts and songs you'd like to carry with you. Unless you have a large budget, or require that you have a certain amount of media with you at all times, I'd say you're better served going with 16GB.

Think about it this way: € (16GB iPhone + accessories + Apps starter fund) = € (32GB iPhone). I'd much rather have the former.

crispyben

Charred Greyface said:
Apart from a specific few apps (turn by turn apps run up to hundreds of MB and a few games like Myst are also very large) most are smaller than 10 MB. Apps shouldn't be taken into consideration, the real question is how many movies, podcasts and songs you'd like to carry with you. Unless you have a large budget, or require that you have a certain amount of media with you at all times, I'd say you're better served going with 16GB.

Think about it this way: € (16GB iPhone + accessories + Apps starter fund) = € (32GB iPhone). I'd much rather have the former.
That's an interesting way of looking at the question. Thanks!

DarkJC

I have a sizeable music library (15.71 GB) and couldn't do without the 32GB. I was living with the 8GB 3G for a while, figuring manually managing my music wouldn't be that bad. There's something to be said for syncing your entire library to the phone though, brought me back to the days when I always had my 3G iPod on me.

Unless you really really really don't think you'll need the space, spend the little bit more for the biggest model. You're paying so much per month for the phone that over the course of the contract the price you pay to double the space is nothing, and it's not like you can decide to upgrade to a 32GB 6 months down the line.

crispyben

DarkJC said:
I have a sizeable music library (15.71 GB) and couldn't do without the 32GB. I was living with the 8GB 3G for a while, figuring manually managing my music wouldn't be that bad. There's something to be said for syncing your entire library to the phone though, brought me back to the days when I always had my 3G iPod on me.

Unless you really really really don't think you'll need the space, spend the little bit more for the biggest model. You're paying so much per month for the phone that over the course of the contract the price you pay to double the space is nothing, and it's not like you can decide to upgrade to a 32GB 6 months down the line.
Thanks for the feedback. My library comes in at a whopping 166 GB (all manually ripped in 128 AAC, I know shame on me), so even the biggest iPod can't fit it! I currently have a 60 GB iPod video, and hope to upgrade to an iPod classic soon. I'll carry some music on my iPhone, but it won't be my main music player...

DarkJC

crispyben said:
Thanks for the feedback. My library comes in at a whopping 166 GB (all manually ripped in 128 AAC, I know shame on me), so even the biggest iPod can't fit it! I currently have a 60 GB iPod video, and hope to upgrade to an iPod classic soon. I'll carry some music on my iPhone, but it won't be my main music player...

I was debating whether I should use the word sizeable on my library because I know some people have an insane amount of music, but wow! I take that sizeable back. Yeah, if you're going to still be using another device as your primary music player, 16GB should be fine.

crispyben

DarkJC said:
I was debating whether I should use the word sizeable on my library because I know some people have an insane amount of music, but wow! I take that sizeable back. Yeah, if you're going to still be using another device as your primary music player, 16GB should be fine.
Bigger doesn't make it better, at this point it's a sickness. I was just considering how much money I'd save by becoming a pirate and downloading the music illegally instead of paying for it... :lol

Charred Greyface said:
I had to remove my case the other day, so I could reinsert the SIM Card, and it felt weird. But if you think the bareback 3GS is thin grab any the iPod Touch and marvel that an iPhone OS device can be so small. It feels like a third the size of my phone.

My friend has a Touch and I held one for the first time the other day. I couldn't believe how slim it was, I was pretty jealous...but then again it has the mirror back which I can't stand so I guess no one can really win.

But... it looks so ugly and cluttered. I mean, if peeps were complaining about awesomenote... the only feature it has I'm missing in Safari is fullscreen mode and you can do much more with safari.

I disagree, it only looks cluttered if you have tabs bar opened. The top is the same as safari (you can hide the status menu like the time to make it even less cluttered, actually) and the bottom is just a few symbols that can be hidden any how. Even with "bookmarklets" on my Safari I much prefer APB.

edit for shots:

cLjr8.jpg
Hq9KU.jpg
ZXpym.jpg

You can also just hide the bottom bar and have the top showing but you get the idea, it can be very simple looking.

Blackhead

Redarse
DarkJC said:

Well my reasoning is different: I had a cellphone bill before I got an iPhone and I'll have that bill when I move on. It's part of my monthly budget—a fixed cost. The phone purchase itself falls under the more discretionary part of my expenditure and there $100 is noteworthy. That's worth a few videogames; an opportunity cost certainly more enjoyable to me in the long run than 16GB of space. Which is all the 32GB has over the 16GB model, not more features or even extra color options. The 32GB isn't more future proof than the 16GB so it won't matter a year from now which one you have (unless apps start filling the drive up at 200MB a pop). I'm on a yearly upgrade schedule anyway (as long as resale prices hold) so by then I'll probably have 32GB as well.

So the only consideration, as I see it, is whether you'll need and use the extra 16GB. I won't, I have 10GB free at the moment. On situation in regular usage where I might run into space issuses is if I fill up the phone with podcasts but then witness an interesting event I'd like to record. That's unlikely. Now if the the phone was a great platform for books and comics I'd want to 32GB

jonnybryce said:
You can also just hide the bottom bar and have the top showing but you get the idea, it can be very simple looking.

aah I see that isn't bad. I would like it much better if it used one color glyphs, instead of those realistic looking icons, but I guess Apple would complain it looked too much like Safari or something. Anyway, I need bookmarklet support for 1Password, among other features. And I have a quickscroll and a download manager on my jailbroken phone for Safari, so I just can't give that up

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Costanza said:
http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/10/meet-family.html

can't wait till Geohot releases his new jailbreak. like purplera1n, it only takes 10 seconds and he says his exploit is so good that it's possible it might work forever on every device :eek:
:lol

Just like I said on the last page or so. Nothing noteworthy coming from the devteam because they're scrubs. Geohot is the real brain behind this. I suspect the devteam to come out with something soon after stealing Geohot's work. Again.

Manics

Banned
Costanza said:

can't wait till Geohot releases his new jailbreak. like purplera1n, it only takes 10 seconds and he says his exploit is so good that it's possible it might work forever on every device :eek:

Never heard of this guy, but I was a bit pissed that the dev team said they weren't developing a Window's solution for jailbreaking. I shouldn't need a bloody mac to jailbreak the iPhone. Hopefully this guy can come through.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Here's another article about Bell getting the iPhone and moving to HSPA if people for some reason still don't believe it

http://www.canada.com/technology/Bell+Telus+land+iPhone/2069088/story.html

This is good news for Bell because I know many people were forced to basically sign up with Rogers because the phone they bought online or whatever didn't work with Bell thanks to CDMA. Hopefully this will create some more competition in the wireless market over here because right now both Bell and Rogers charge a shitload.

Manics

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Here's another article about Bell getting the iPhone and moving to HSPA if people for some reason still don't believe it

http://www.canada.com/technology/Bell+Telus+land+iPhone/2069088/story.html

This is good news for Bell because I know many people were forced to basically sign up with Rogers because the phone they bought online or whatever didn't work with Bell thanks to CDMA. Hopefully this will create some more competition in the wireless market over here because right now both Bell and Rogers charge a shitload.

I think the Bell Canada press statement that someone linked above pretty much seals the deal. Who's not going to believe a press release from the company itself?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Manics said:
I think the Bell Canada press statement that someone linked above pretty much seals the deal. Who's not going to believe a press release from the company itself?

Which is why I said "for some reason", you never know, maybe someone has issues with Bell press releases ;)

Costanza said:

He updated the post:

Minor setback today, when Chronic revealed the exploit that this will use. For apparently no purpose except to save face in front of their donators. Future reference, never donate until you have a product in hand and working. Look, as much as I fight with the dev team, they always have the communities interests at heart, maybe even more so than me. But chronic just stomped all over what the community wants. Who can actually do something with the info they released? Well, you know, Apple.

Sorry OOTB 3.1 3GS'ers, you're still shit outta luck for now.

aku:jiki

Revolutionary said:
Sorry OOTB 3.1 3GS'ers, you're still shit outta luck for now.
I don't really get that. The exploit would be revealed when he releases the software anyway, why hold it back? Don't even see how it's a setback. Is he just gonna go find another ultimate exploit real quick? Sucks having to rely on punk kids. :lol

Edit: Haha, there's tons of teen drama in the comments. It's off, it's back on, it's off, it's back on... Seems to have stayed back on:

geohot2.jpg

#2days is his ETA. :D

That was unexpected. If only AT&T offered data only iPhone plans like the sidekicks, then this would really be something special. As it stands, I already have tons of rollover minutes with the 450 plan so it doesn't really help me in any way. But congrats to everyone else.

aku:jiki said:
I don't really get that. The exploit would be revealed when he releases the software anyway, why hold it back? Don't even see how it's a setback. Is he just gonna go find another ultimate exploit real quick? Sucks having to rely on punk kids. :lol

I don't get it either. It's not like Apple has a new update ready right now and they would look at this when it's released any way. This makes no sense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
AT&T probably made the change because of the FCC.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Bboy AJ said:
AT&T probably made the change because of the FCC.
Probably? :lol almost certainly IMO. That's why Verizon was talking about "open" networks today as well. ATT didn't want to miss the boat on looking like they were being proactive rather than forced.

Blackhead

Redarse
jonnybryce said:
That was unexpected. If only AT&T offered data only iPhone plans like the sidekicks, then this would really be something special. As it stands, I already have tons of rollover minutes with the 450 plan so it doesn't really help me in any way. But congrats to everyone else.

I don't get it either. It's not like Apple has a new update ready right now and they would look at this when it's released any way. This makes no sense.
It's even more amusing because the kid rushed to post the use and post the exploit for 3.0 despite the dev-team desiring to wait until 3.0.1 was out from Apple. Recognition is serious business for hackers I guess

RPS37

What I dig about A Perfect Browser:
* Full Screen
* Lock screen horizontal or vertical
* Hyper scroll

However, when browsing GAF (virtually the only website I read on my phone), in Safari I can open threads in new tabs and F5 over and over a lot easier.

Also, the Hyper Scroll bar is covering the Last Page button in the NeoGAF web app.

If they can fix that stuff, I could permanently switch to APB. As it stands, I'm trying to use it more than Safari.

One more thing.
It's also nice to have a second browser, because the other night I had a podcast direct download streaming in a window in Safari and then I was browsing GAF using APB. It was pretty sick.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gah. You win Apple fuckers. I'm selling my Samsung Impression and getting an iPhone this or next week. I feel like such a sellout. Bah.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
AlphaSnake said:
Gah. You win Apple fuckers. I'm selling my Samsung Impression and getting an iPhone this or next week. I feel like such a sellout. Bah.

A sellout, for wanting a good phone?

Don't tread on that, just get it, and all will be right. :p

jdforge

Banned
Anyone care to list some essential apps? I've had my iphone for a couple of weeks now, and would really like to know what apps people can't live without...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AlphaSnake said:
Welcome fellow Apple Fucker!

We've got your plain black sweater, square rimmed glasses and Apple decal ready for you when you get your iPhone.

Our next meeting is going to be about how we can modify our Toyota Prius' to look like giant apples. We'll be meeting at the Starbucks on Earth Day.

See you there AppleSnake!

Sean

Banned
needlejuice said:
Anyone care to list some essential apps? I've had my iphone for a couple of weeks now, and would really like to know what apps people can't live without...

If you buy a lot of stuff online like me then Delivery Status Touch (a package tracker app) is a must have imo.

RPS37 said:
What I dig about A Perfect Browser:
* Full Screen
* Lock screen horizontal or vertical
* Hyper scroll

However, when browsing GAF (virtually the only website I read on my phone), in Safari I can open threads in new tabs and F5 over and over a lot easier.

Also, the Hyper Scroll bar is covering the Last Page button in the NeoGAF web app.

If they can fix that stuff, I could permanently switch to APB. As it stands, I'm trying to use it more than Safari.

One more thing.
It's also nice to have a second browser, because the other night I had a podcast direct download streaming in a window in Safari and then I was browsing GAF using APB. It was pretty sick.
Just a tip: You actually can still do last page in the web app by touching just to the right of the scrollbar where the last page arrow is, I do it all the time. I would definitely like the scrollbar to be skinner though.

Sean

Banned

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So guys, I'm getting an ipod touch (3G 8GB) tomorrow. I remember there being this awesome video of this woman introducing the ipod touch, anyone know where I can view this?

Also, I'm a noob at Apple products, so enlighten me please on what I can do with this thing. The thread is huge, and I don't wanna get any misconceptions.

LCfiner

Jibril said:
So guys, I'm getting an ipod touch (3G 8GB) tomorrow. I remember there being this awesome video of this woman introducing the ipod touch, anyone know where I can view this?

Also, I'm a noob at Apple products, so enlighten me please on what I can do with this thing. The thread is huge, and I don't wanna get any misconceptions.

the 8GB model is not actually a third gen model. it's a second gen model with a 30 dollar price drop.

the real 3rd gen models run over twice as fast but start at 300 bucks for the 32 GB model.

just a heads up if you didn't know.

Veidt

LCfiner said:
the 8GB model is not actually a third gen model. it's a second gen model with a 30 dollar price drop.

the real 3rd gen models run over twice as fast but start at 300 bucks for the 32 GB model.

just a heads up if you didn't know.

But I can do the usual stuff right? It's just a tad bit slower ( Which I don't mind ). Apps work? Interface is just as awesome?

RubxQub

Jibril said:
But I can do the usual stuff right? It's just a tad bit slower ( Which I don't mind ). Apps work? Interface is just as awesome?
Absolutely. Nothing new on the newer models except the internal specs, so the capabilities are the same, just the performance is different.

If that's the right price point for you, jump in, dude!

jts

...hate me...
Jibril said:
Yeah, pretty much. It's only slower and has worse graphics (no OpenGL ES support).

No voice control too, but that's not a very big deal.

I don't know nuthin 'bout that video, but you can do pretty much almost everything with it. Browse the internet flawlessly, email back and forth, play a LOTTA awesome games, create and edit documents, make voip calls, use it as a computer mouse pad, watch youtube videos, control iTunes, listen to music, pretend to drink a beer, wobble some tits, take notes, sync its calendar with Google calendar, play around with google earth and google maps, use it with Nike+.

Infinite possibilities.

Veidt

Holy crap guys, I can't wait to get home from Uni tomorrow and get this baby on my hands!

Please, tell me more :D

jts

...hate me...
watch porn on pornhub.com, control your personal finances, use it as a TV guide, as a wi-fi storage disk, read e-books, lose weight, convert stuff.

I don't know mang, everytime I check the app store I'm like "omg, it can do THAT?".

You just have to check it for yourself. It's a wonderful machine.

MDSLKTR

jet1911 said:
I just signed 3y with Rogers... I hope Bell and Telus prices won't be too low so that I feel guilty :(

How much do you pay monthly?
I was considering getting an 32GB itouch, but i saw that rogers offers the iphone 32GB for the same price if you take a 3year contract.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
is there a way to manually install that carrier update that i got a message for about a week back? my itunes went funny right as it alerted me, and it never asked me again. anything in the update besides MMS?

RubxQub

StopMakingSense said:
Won't record video.
iPod Touches can't do this anyways :D

aku:jiki

needlejuice said:
I think the veterans are really tired of us newbies asking this question, so I'll just go ahead and share my beginner dicoveries for nice apps. :)

Essential:
Bargain Bin -- Replaces the app store for me almost completely. Free.
Read It Later -- Quick-bookmarking for your PC, that syncs up and downloads the pages you bookmark for offline reading on the phone.
Evernote -- Notes and to-do's. Free, PC version, I think it's better than Awesome Note.
Ping! -- Basically free texting, if your friends have iPhones.

Just fun/party tricks:
PhotoSwap -- Can be a great cure for boredom if you manage to avoid all the balls. Free.
TiltShift -- Way too many of your friends will think that you actually are building a diorama of your parking lot. $3, I think.
Jade -- Simple photo editing before uploading to Facebook. Free.

Virtual instruments/toys:
Ocarina -- Playing it is boring. Listening to other people play in realtime is amazingly relaxing. $1.
Noise.io -- Lets you kind of make your own noise/ambient music to relax to. Has a free version that's good enough.

Games:
ZenBound -- The name actually holds true!
Edge
California Gold Rush -- Really packed with content for $1. Excellent production values as well.
Strategery
Galcon -- Possibly my favorite. Getting your strategy fix and feeling like a genius general has never been this fast.
Pew Pew -- There's supposedly a ton of Geometry Wars clones on the app store, but this is the only one I've found and it is free and kicks ass.
SWEEP MAN
SWEEP MAN
SWEEP MAN
SWEEP MAN

Edit: Good news everyone! Bargain Bin just informed me that Sweep Man is free right now! Hurry to the app store!

jet1911

MDSLKTR said:
How much do you pay monthly?
I was considering getting an 32GB itouch, but i saw that rogers offers the iphone 32GB for the same price if you take a 3year contract.
50$ (student plan)

150min
unlimited weekend/night starts at 5
free top10 everywhere in Canada
500mb

dyls

Is there a way to import your bookmarks into A Perfect Browser? I'm thinking about getting it, but I love that I was able to import all of my bookmarks from my Mac to my iPhone, and don't want to have to add them all in manually.

needlejuice said:

myWireless - pay AT&T bill
Facebook
AIM - I'm really not picky about im clients, gets the job done
New York Times
Time Mobile
Fluent News
Kindle
Drop Box - access backed up pc files
Echofon Pro - Twitter. Beats them all, including Tweetie, imo.
Inquisitor - Search the internet
Fandango - movies times/buy tickets
Apple TV Remote - if you have Apple TV
Shazam - tag songs
Slydial - connect to someone's voicemail
Pandora - stream music
Red Laser - scan bar code, find deals
Pandora Box - Track apps
Navigon - gps
Not essential but I like: Fitnio for running, I Am T-Pain to sing like T-Pain, Tv.com and Discovery CHannel, Colorsplash to make pics black and white with color elements.

dyls said:
Is there a way to import your bookmarks into A Perfect Browser? I'm thinking about getting it, but I love that I was able to import all of my bookmarks from my Mac to my iPhone, and don't want to have to add them all in manually.

I don't think so, which sucked. I ended up doing my pc bookmarks to delicious, and then while watching a tv show I bookmarked them from delicious.

mrkgoo

jonnybryce said:
myWireless - pay AT&T bill
Facebook
AIM - I'm really not picky about im clients, gets the job done
New York Times
Time Mobile
Fluent News
Kindle
Drop Box - access backed up pc files
Echofon Pro - Twitter. Beats them all, including Tweetie, imo.
Inquisitor - Search the internet
Fandango - movies times/buy tickets
Apple TV Remote - if you have Apple TV
Shazam - tag songs
Slydial - connect to someone's voicemail
Pandora - stream music
Red Laser - scan bar code, find deals
Pandora Box - Track apps
Navigon - gps
Not essential but I like: Fitnio for running, I Am T-Pain to sing like T-Pain, Tv.com and Discovery CHannel, Colorsplash to make pics black and white with color elements.

I don't think so, which sucked. I ended up doing my pc bookmarks to delicious, and then while watching a tv show I bookmarked them from delicious.

Interesting - I know it's obviously a very personal thing, but I have not one of your essential, cannot live without apps. Not one.

For me, I think most of the essential apps are actually covered by the default Apple apps.

Some converter/currency app is important for me, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom