• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to jailbreak Iphone 3GS with the 3.1 firmware? And if yes than how? I tried with purplera1n but it crashes after a reboot so I have to restore my phone. I'm on a Windows if that plays any difference

Melhisedek said:
Is it possible to jailbreak Iphone 3GS with the 3.1 firmware? And if yes than how? I tried with purplera1n but it crashes after a reboot so I have to restore my phone. I'm on a Windows if that plays any difference

Ultrasnow/Yellowsnow/Redsnow

Blackhead

Redarse
All aboard the update train!

Here are some details on our latest version of PwnageTool for Mac OS X that adds support for the 3.1 release of the iPhone software for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G.

SUMMARY:

The iPhone 3GS is now supported in PwnageTool 3.1.3, assuming the phone was pwned at 3.0 or 3.0.1 - PwnageTool does not support the 3GS out of the box. If your iPhone 3GS has 3.1 preinstalled and is not Pwned then there is no tested jailbreak solution at the moment.

The iPod 2G is now supported in PwnageTool 3.1.3, assuming the iPod 2G was pwned at 3.0 or 3.0.1 - PwnageTool does not support the iPod 2G with 3.1 software out of the box.

DETAILS:

1. GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G(S) with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service then you should only update your device with an .ipsw that is made with the new PwnageTool. There are no second chances with this. You need to remember that PwnageTool will provide an upgrade path to newer versions of the iPhone software in the future.
  2. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
  3. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
  4. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
  5. PwnageTool will work for the iPhone 3GS assuming you have already Pwned it at 3.0 or 3.0.1
  6. PwnageTool will work for the iPod touch 2G assuming you have already Pwned it at 3.0 or 3.0.1
  7. PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G(S) and the iPod touch (1st Generation and 2nd Generation) but NOT the iPod touch 3rd generation.
  8. For 3G and 3G(S) users who are Pwned, PwnageTool is your key to updating in the future, just remember to never install an update directly from Apple, always use an .ipsw that has been created with PwnageTool.
  9. There is no Windows version of PwnageTool it is a Mac OS X tool only, we are not developing a Windows version of PwnageTool.
:D

I don't know if this question belongs here---

Why, when I update album art in itunes, it doesn't get reflected on my iPod Touch? Even if I do it before the song is every copied to the iPod? If there any way to force the issue?

Edit: Can't wait for pwnage tool for iPod Touch 3.1 out of the box, which is what I have.

Has anyone used MotionX GPS Drive yet? It's currently holding a 4 star rating on iTunes which seems promising.

Refresher:

- Driving, and on-foot nav app
- Streams maps from Bing (US, Canada) and also streams voice guidance
- 10 MB
- $2.99 app with free month of service
- $2.99 per month, or $25 a year
- Not a subscription / no recurring fee

Video

AirBrian

Ignatz Mouse said:
I don't know if this question belongs here---

Why, when I update album art in itunes, it doesn't get reflected on my iPod Touch? Even if I do it before the song is every copied to the iPod? If there any way to force the issue?

Edit: Can't wait for pwnage tool for iPod Touch 3.1 out of the box, which is what I have.
Every now and then I'll have the same problem.

After you update the album art in iTunes, actually play the song in iTunes. Make sure "Now Playing" is enabled (the little icon in the bottom left corner). If the artwork shows in the Now Playing box, it should work on your Touch. If it doesn't, try re-assigning the artwork to the song. That always does the trick for me.

robertsan21 said:
Need some iPhone-Itunes help

I am trying to backup my iPhone but when I press backup and the sync is starting iTunes give me a popup and tells me this:

Now this is a new computer I am trying to sync my iPhone to as the old Laptop I had has been trashed :)

what can I do to be able to get the pictures folder working again?
I do not want my iPhone photos to be deleted on my iPhone.

anyone know how to fix this?

aku:jiki

Ignatz Mouse said:
Me too! Despite being overall ecstatic with the phone, I'm very unhappy that I actually have to jailbreak to be allowed to download my bank's free ATM locator (regional issue) or remove the Stocks icon.

I received a pic on PhotoSwap I thought was worth sharing... I know PS is old news but I really like this one:

25zgdw7.jpg

It's the firetruck driver, right before going off to fight fires! :)

Dilbert

I rarely use my BT headset (Apple Bluetooth Headset, if it matters), but it finally occurred to me that I haven't suddenly become more deaf -- there really does seem to be a problem with BT and the iPhone 3GS. The max volume is about 50% of what it was on my iPhone 2G.

Anyone else noticing problems with the Apple BT headset, or BT headsets from other vendors?

I need some help. I've managed to downgrade my iPhone 3G to 3.0 jailbreak. If I want to upgrade to 3.1, is there an easy path for me to do so while keeping the jailbreak?

AirBrian said:
Every now and then I'll have the same problem.

After you update the album art in iTunes, actually play the song in iTunes. Make sure "Now Playing" is enabled (the little icon in the bottom left corner). If the artwork shows in the Now Playing box, it should work on your Touch. If it doesn't, try re-assigning the artwork to the song. That always does the trick for me.

Thanks much. I figured out why this was happening and this trick (plus looking at Info for individual songs) helped me track down the issue.

Foob

Does anyone have a link to that one website where designers posted their homescreen? I don't care about how people arrange their stuff, I just remember they had some cool apps I wanted to check out

I want to love Ping but

1. It's pretty buggy. It tells you you have messages when you don't, if you're out of the app messages come in twice, landscape is a disaster, if you synced contact pics from Outlook then they appear as weird mini circle diamond shapes.

2. It doesn't do anything yet. It's nothing like BBM, it's just the SMS app for free for iPhones. You can't change your name or have a status to reflect what's happening, you can't send files or pictures, you can't do anything. It's nothing like BBM and does nothing the SMS app doesn't do. Atleast have a different UI so it feels different.

It should also have a buddylist, I shouldn't need to ping someone so that I can add them. It's just a mess, and to think it's 99 cents now. He needs to get to updating and fast if he wants the popularity boost to turn into sales.

Struct09

I got Ping for free, and it's already saved some texts this month for me (I don't have unlimited). I do agree that it's buggy and needs updating, I'd just like to see some app that a large number of people use for free iPhone to iPhone messaging.

xsarien

daedsiluap
StrikerObi said:
The iPhone already has a built in push-enabled messaging app. It's called Mail.

The problem, of course, is knowing which email address(es), if any, the person you're trying to reach has configured their iPhone to check.

Blackhead

Redarse
Foob said:
Does anyone have a link to that one website where designers posted their homescreen? I don't care about how people arrange their stuff, I just remember they had some cool apps I wanted to check out
http://www.firstand20.com/
Which cool apps did you see? Most of the ones I notice are in private betas :/

Sidenote: Has the Genius feature proved useful to anybody? How many apps have you bought, and loved, on its recommendation?

HoTHiTTeR said:
can a 3gs on 3.1 roll back to a previous 3.x and then pwn/unlock?
Apple's disabled downgrading for 3GS. There is a way but you'll need to been jailbroken and saved some specific system information first...

My upgrade to 3.1 went smoothly, the problem was with restoring my settings and customization to how it was before. The backup app I use didn't work properly and I assumed it was at fault only to find out later that an app I would never have suspected, Cyntact, was the cause of all the crashes. Saurik released an update today but by then I had already restored manually. Looking good so far, haven't felt a desire to downgrade, but then I haven't tested my tethering options yet. *fingers crossed*

xsarien said:
The problem, of course, is knowing which email address(es), if any, the person you're trying to reach has configured their iPhone to check.
yeah, agree, Blackberries are supposedly the premium email mobile devices and yet BBM is very popular. There is a place for Ping alongside email (or what ever app becomes the most popular, preferably Apple releases their own)

xsarien said:

Yeah. Plenty of people I know don't have their email on their iPhone because they find it annoying for reasons I don't understand.

Sean

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Yeah. Plenty of people I know don't have their email on their iPhone because they find it annoying for reasons I don't understand.

I bought my father an iPod touch and he doesn't sync his email or contacts (and even photos) on it because he's afraid of the device being lost or stolen and then someone would have access to all his info. I've gotta teach him how to set a passcode and stuff, though he probably would still be afraid/paranoid.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Reposting this question from the voice thread. I just got signed up with Google Voice and I'm using the new number with an iphone... And I'm a little confused about something. Since I set the fowarding to my iphone, when I send someone a text through the web site, when they send one back it actually pops up like a normal text on the iphone. Not sure how, since I read you needed prowl for notifications like that. But itcomes from the google 406 number with my friend's name as the first word, so I know it's to the GV number. I just wonder if there's a chance I'm still getting an SMS charge from at&t for this, especially if I hit respond and reply throgh the iphones SMS app.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
If you're getting a popup then chances are it's being sent through SMS to your phone number. to turn it off log onto GV from your desktop browser and go to options.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Struct09 said:
I got Ping for free, and it's already saved some texts this month for me (I don't have unlimited). I do agree that it's buggy and needs updating, I'd just like to see some app that a large number of people use for free iPhone to iPhone messaging.
What? Still no MMS for the states? Could Softbanke actually have gotten something right quickly for once?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
RevenantKioku said:
What? Still no MMS for the states? Could Softbanke actually have gotten something right quickly for once?

..... wow. You didn't look at this thread like a week ago or so?

Just ordered a factory unlock from my provider, any ideas on how long it should take? Sadly it came with 3.1 FW out of the box so no jailbreak for me yet :(

LCfiner

If true, some good news for Canadians.

Bell and Telus to have the iPhone in November.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bell-telus-to-launch-iphone-next-month/article1312692/

Bell Canada and Telus Corp. will begin selling the iPhone next month, breaking the stranglehold on the device that their rival Rogers Communications Inc. has held for more than a year.

Both carriers hope the addition of Apple Inc.'s (AAPL-Q186.021.120.61%) groundbreaking smart phone to their lineups will help them sign up higher-value customers and shift the balance of power in Canada's mobile market.

Bell announced on Monday that it will launch in November, months ahead of schedule, the next-generation wireless network it has been building with Telus. The build-out extends the companies' existing 3G (third generation) network to include the same technology standard employed by Rogers, the nation's largest cellphone company.

Telus has yet to give an indication of when it will begin offering service on the new network.

Until now, Rogers has enjoyed a Canadian monopoly on that standard, known as high-speed packet access (HSPA), as well as its precursor GSM, and with it, one of the hottest products of the IT age. The iPhone, which is a GSM-based device, has helped drive the company's wireless growth through the recession by 7 per cent this year. Rogers has said its iPhone customers spend 1 1/2 more than their average wireless subscriber.

Neither Bell nor Telus would confirm that they would add the iPhone to their lineups. Apple also declined to comment. But people familiar with the matter said the two carriers will announce a working partnership with Apple as early as Tuesday or Wednesday and begin selling the device in time for the launch of their new network next month.

Boom.

so, How long till the AT&T exclusivity falls in the states?

JB1981

what is up w/ my phone constantly asking me to put in a password for my voicemail? it's like all buggy and shit lately. anyone else have this problem?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Great King Bowser said:
Probably a dumb question, but the speakers on the bottom. Is there supposed to be two? Because I only get sound out of the left.
One is a mic, one is a speaker.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Guys, I'm having an issue with wi-fi on my 3g. It connected with no issue in the past, and now..nothing. Data still works, but wi-fi won't connect at all. Any ideas? I've tried re-booting, wi-fi radio on/off, airplane mode on/off, and on...

I'm hesitant to upgrade to 3.1 because of all the issues I heard, but would that be a good idea?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
DrFunk said:
Guys, I'm having an issue with wi-fi on my 3g. It connected with no issue in the past, and now..nothing. Data still works, but wi-fi won't connect at all. Any ideas? I've tried re-booting, wi-fi radio on/off, airplane mode on/off, and on...

I'm hesitant to upgrade to 3.1 because of all the issues I heard, but would that be a good idea?

nm, I fixed it good

I took my 3GS out of my case because I really don't care anymore. The back gets smudgy and it's very difficult to get a good grip, it felt like a bar of soap. I happily put it back into my case when I got home. I love the thinness but it is so slippery.

RPS37 said:
I'm digging A Perfect Browser. I'd like to know what's being added in the 2.5 update.

Oh man I love that browser. I really love the hyperscroll and how it allows me to simply hit a down arrow instead of constantly flicking my thumb up to scroll down...that was so annoying for reading any websites or articles, but sucked the most for frequenting blogs. Safari was replaced on my dock with APB.

I expect some new tab features, like the ability to open a link in a new tab (it shows this on the screenshot in the app store but mine can't doesn't give me that option, I need it), and a way to have the hyperscroll bar always on, even at launch. Otherwise I can't imagine what would make it better.

soultron

Banned
LCfiner said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bell-telus-to-launch-iphone-next-month/article1312692/

Boom.

God damn. My buddy just told me this. My BB just happened to die due to the slightest water damage, so I'm not sure whether or not I will pay the 150 required to fix my old Curve. Might just wait it out and grab an iPhone.

I just hope I don't have to pay $143125235 for a no-contract iPhone on Telus. I'm not making the mistake of renewing my contract back up to a 3-year term again.

EDIT: It'll probably be ~780 for a no term. Fuck that shit.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
jonnybryce said:
I took my 3GS out of my case because I really don't care anymore. The back gets smudgy and it's very difficult to get a good grip, it felt like a bar of soap. I happily put it back into my case when I got home. I love the thinness but it is so slippery.

Oh man I love that browser. I really love the hyperscroll and how it allows me to simply hit a down arrow instead of constantly flicking my thumb up to scroll down...that was so annoying for reading any websites or articles, but sucked the most for frequenting blogs. Safari was replaced on my dock with APB.

I expect some new tab features, like the ability to open a link in a new tab (it shows this on the screenshot in the app store but mine can't doesn't give me that option, I need it), and a way to have the hyperscroll bar always on, even at launch. Otherwise I can't imagine what would make it better.

They have a deal right now $.99. I think I am jumping in. Reading over it, it sounds like the perfect replacement.

Terrell

LCfiner said:

Boom.

I'll believe it when I hear it from Bell and Telus' mouth. Still, it's good that this offers Canadians more options, if true. I'm still waiting for an iPhone that supports the 1700MHz AWS band, which seems to be the band of choice for LTE... well, in Canada at least. I can just feel an LTE announcement from Apple next year.... oh, will that ever be sweet. But even if that doesn't pan out, a quad-band 3GS with an OLED screen on Wind Mobile in Canada and T-Mobile in the US next year would be a nice surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom