• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoi tsuki

Battery life per charge is kind of a non-issue with me. Though i'd use a BT headset with it moreso than holding it up to my head, i'd be using it in situations where i could easily charge it -- at my desk, in my car, or at home. OTOH, battery life to date would seriously bother me. Having a non-replaceable battery means it'll eventually refuse to hold a decent charge. It's one thing to send a iPod off to have the battery replaced, but for a phone it's just not something i'm comfortable with. Sadly, i doubt people will make a big enough deal about this.

imastalker co. said:
and business people, hollywood, mac heads, and people that can spend money with ease.

True, but that doesn't sound like mainstream adoption to me. That's why I said "limit"

Fusebox

Banned
StrikerObi said:
That's Apple's thing. They make interfaces that blow everything else away. It works the way it should work and it does it beautifully.

No doubt m'man. I've never argued it won't be a beautiful device that will be a pleasure to use, I've only ever argued that it's all based around existing technology and that people touting it as the first coming of the mobile king "its like the future in ur handzors" obviously haven't had a lot of exposure to all the other similarly-specced devices that are already on the market.

imastalker co. said:
and business people, hollywood, mac heads, and people that can spend money with ease.

The lack of true Exchange support will keep business people from going crazy for this. Sure it's got full push email from Yahoo, but the corporate set doesn't care about that. They want their MS Office email at their fingertips, with push. If it had that, RIM would be in real trouble.

Everybody else on that list though...

krypt0nian said:
True, but that doesn't sound like mainstream adoption to me. That's why I said "limit"
definitely not. it won't hit true mainstream til it hits $300 or so.

consumer and media mindshare on the otherhand....

mrkgoo

Something I've always considered, but not confirmed (and probably won't until I get my hadns on this thing) is the way this userface could possibly 1up every other touch screen interface.

Traditional touch screens (conductive or not), I think, rely on touching the on screen buttons (duh). You have to be accurate though. But something I thought (or maybe just hope) the iPhone/apple did was really think about the software behind that. The keys look really small - I wouldn't be surprised if they had algorithms that really made use of both spellcheck, hardware, and other software featues to accurately gage what it thought you pressed - not just measuring it by hardware alone like traditional interfaces.

Like you're trying to spell 'the', you kind of hit the "Y" "h" and something the hardware can't tell is 'w' or 'e', but everything tells the software taht you tried to spell 'the', so it changes it to that on the fly. Like predictive spelling COMBINED with smart hardware.

That kind of thing would make it the next step in touch screen interfaces, where it becomes seamless with ther user, and they don't have to be as accurate.

Of course, it could just be a standard touch interface, in which case it could be a little annoying. For the record, I liek the idea behind the ipod, but in it's actual use, I don't like it so much - it's too sensitive, and I end up touching it when I got to hit the centre button - maybe I have fat thumbs.

What's the word on the AT&T exclusivity? How long will it last? How long is the contract? How feasible is it to expect a third party to unlock it? Will it be as easy as most GSM phones?

mrkgoo

imastalker co. said:

Don't forget, Jobs is putting this as a third pillar (lol) against Apple's Computer and Music departments. If the Phones is going to be as alrge as the iPod (remember this was a niche item at first too), they will probably develop smaller mainstream like versions in future. iPhone nano? Or would that just split the market?

mrkgoo said:
Something I've always considered, but not confirmed (and probably won't until I get my hadns on this thing) is the way this userface could possibly 1up every other touch screen interface.

Traditional touch screens (conductive or not), I think, rely on touching the on screen buttons (duh). You have to be accurate though. But something I thought (or maybe just hope) the iPhone/apple did was really think about the software behind that. The keys look really small - I wouldn't be surprised if they had algorithms that really made use of both spellcheck, hardware, and other software featues to accurately gage what it thought you pressed - not just measuring it by hardware alone like traditional interfaces.

Like you're trying to spell 'the', you kind of hit the "Y" "h" and something the hardware can't tell is 'w' or 'e', but everything tells the software taht you tried to spell 'the', so it changes it to that on the fly. Like predictive spelling COMBINED with smart hardware.

That kind of thing would make it the next step in touch screen interfaces, where it becomes seamless with ther user, and they don't have to be as accurate.

Of course, it could just be a standard touch interface, in which case it could be a little annoying. For the record, I liek the idea behind the ipod, but in it's actual use, I don't like it so much - it's too sensitive, and I end up touching it when I got to hit the centre button - maybe I have fat thumbs.

I believe they've made comments regarding some sort of "fudge-factor" for the text input.

Also, I agree with multi-touch interfaces being the next big thing. Apple's launching a huge one this month and Microsoft's Surface, though a purely commercial product right now, is a huge step forward. It honestly feels like something Apple would have developed, in my opinion.

mrkgoo

Ok, viewed the rest of the ads.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the touch screen interface is something else entirely better than what most people expect. It looks snazzy, but the way scrolling is under the finger, and accelerates and decelerates is going to be something that actually impacts user interface in a very beneficial way.

mrkgoo

StrikerObi said:
I believe they've made comments regarding some sort of "fudge-factor" for the text input.

Also, I agree with multi-touch interfaces being the next big thing. Apple's launching a huge one this month and Microsoft's Surface, though a purely commercial product right now, is a huge step forward. It honestly feels like something Apple would have developed, in my opinion.

I agree. That MS surface looks really cool, from a geek point of view. It's overkill for a consmuer, but that's not who it's geared for. The photos spilling out of your camera is an overkill touch, but the way you manipulate images on the top is awesome. Practically like the movie "The Island" (which was heavy in MS product placement - ZOMG, XBox to be virtual reality?!), and a step closer to minority report.

And the built-in software fudge factor (and predictive spelling, hoepfully) will make it leageus ahead. If it exists. Honestly thoguh, I haven't tried outher touch screen PDA-style stuff - does it have such features? Or are tehy just straightforward touch screen interfaces?

imastalker co. said:

After the PS3's reception, I no longer count on superior tech winning any mindshare contests. =(

krypt0nian said:
After the PS3's reception, I no longer count on superior tech winning any mindshare contests. =(
the technology isn't going to be the reason it gets all that mindshare.

and comparing it to the PS3 is just a bad anology.

mrkgoo

imastalker co. said:
mrkgoo: Jobs already talked about how the typing would be "smart", and would fix typos and all that kind of mumbo jumbo.

Yeah, I know, but them saying one thing can be different than it's final manifestation. the fudge-factor, and spelling and stuff could easily be mindblowing - or it could just be the stock standard affairs that other products already utilise. I'm just hoping it's the former.

krypt0nian said:

The PS3 has a few more problems though. They started with the top brand, which Apple also has. However, the expectation for a video game console's price is not $600. The huge price is slightly easier to swallow for a smartphone/iPod. The big thing though, is software. The PS3 was/is lacking in this department, whereas the iPhone is built around it's interface. It already does what it does. It will be a great iPod and smartphone. The PS3 depends on software that isn't out yet, it doesn't come included with the system like the interface does with the iPhone.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Don'ts for event megathreads:
- Start a thread days weeks or months before the event.
- Make a thread with no information in the OP
- Ignore a megathread you made.

Serious comment- if Apple had just included some ghetto Exchange support like Palm did with Versamail, MILLIONS of corporate customers would buy them.

The original press release specifically mentioned Exchange support, but it is likely similar to how Apple Mail "supports" Exchange.

jjasper

so what are the choices and how much are the monthly plans to go with the phone? I can handle the one time charge but if it is going to be $60 a month to take advantage of all the stuff I'll pass.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Operations said:
What's the word on the AT&T exclusivity? How long will it last? How long is the contract? How feasible is it to expect a third party to unlock it? Will it be as easy as most GSM phones?

The exclusivity is roughly through 2009. I wouldn't count on unlocked versions, certain features, like visual voicemail were pretty much designed specifically for AT&T's network.

jjasper said:
so what are the choices and how much are the monthly plans to go with the phone? I can handle the one time charge but if it is going to be $60 a month to take advantage of all the stuff I'll pass.

Assuming the cheapest voice plan - $40/month - and assuming that AT&T will be a bunch of dicks and make you get a PDA data plan, you can expect to pay around $60-$80/month in total.

Before taxes.

It'd be nice if they let you attach a MediaMax plan to it, which is the unlimited data plan for "normal" phones and only costs $20, but something tells me they're putting dollars before sense.

(Oh, that one hurt.)

Personally, I'd prefer them excise the phone functionality and just release a 6G iPod with the new interface and screen. I'd buy that for $400, and I won't have to worry about Apple's notoriously questionable battery life affecting something I actually need.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Fusebox said:
No doubt m'man. I've never argued it won't be a beautiful device that will be a pleasure to use, I've only ever argued that it's all based around existing technology and that people touting it as the first coming of the mobile king "its like the future in ur handzors" obviously haven't had a lot of exposure to all the other similarly-specced devices that are already on the market.

What you are missing with Apple is they take hardware and slap sublime software on it. There were hard drive based MP3 players before the iPod you know.

mrkgoo

imastalker co. said:
well, maybe you should ask yourself. do you personally think Apple has what it takes?

i rest my case.

That's a good point - I think if any company can do something like that, it's Apple. They really think about user interfaces, and it being well geared towards 'just working', simplicity, and friendliness to the user.

But having said that, I don't think the ipod clickwheel is all that it could've been, nor the interface for its menus. On that note, though...I turn off the 'audio feedback' on the ipod clickwheel. There's actually a very important reason for that, as users need that respons to know what they are doing, and maybe my troubles are related to that. It's a reason why the mighty mouse has a built in speaker that makes click noises, and little raspy noises when you roll the ball - it sounds so natural, you don't even know it comes from a speaker (and as much as I love that, some people really don't).

On the topic of click wheel, some people probably don't realise that it can recognise where on the wheel you put your finger (positional), and not just the direction you rotate. In some of the games for iPod it uses these features to move up/down, left/right by touching the wheel (not clicking the buttons) at the appropriate positions.

xsarien said:
Personally, I'd prefer them excise the phone functionality and just release a 6G iPod with the new interface and screen.
i'd would bet on seeing such an iPod in time for the holidays. they've been pretty consistent at releasing new iPods every fall for the last what? 4 years?

Fusebox

Banned
shantyman said:
What you are missing with Apple is they take hardware and slap sublime software on it.

I'm not 'missing' anything, read my posts because I've covered this already.

ant1532

Banned
I'm going to get it in September when my contract with my dumbass RAZR ends with Cingular. Is there a way to get it even though the contract isn't up though? Are they selling it at Apple Stores or Cingular, what's the deal??

Also can someone explain Cingulars EDGE service?? I have Cingular but I don't believe I use that feature.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:
I'm going to get it in September when my contract with my dumbass RAZR ends with Cingular. Is there a way to get it even though the contract isn't up though? Are they selling it at Apple Stores or Cingular, what's the deal??

Also can someone explain Cingulars EDGE service?? I have Cingular but I don't believe I use that feature.

EDGE, without getting into ridiculously stupid technical matters, is a clever acronym to describe a level of data bandwidth.

In order of speed:
GPRS - EDGE - UMTS - HSDPA.

The latter two are very close, if not equivalent to, say, mid-to-high range DSL speeds. That's on paper, of course. In the real world your mileage can vary wildly. They're also only available in select markets, but AT&T's coverage map should be able to tell you where your neighborhood stands.

But since the iPhone also has WiFi, public hotspots are also an option. Just keep in mind that if you're going to be using cellular-based data, get a plan. Otherwise you'll be charged a ****ing arm and a leg.

As to whether they'll sell you one before your plan is up for renewal? Probably, but expect to pay way more than $500-$600. Wait it out, get it for that price. Your call.

ant1532

Banned
xsarien said:
EDGE, without getting into ridiculously stupid technical matters, is a clever acronym to describe a level of data bandwidth.

In order of speed:

GPRS - EDGE - UMTS - HSDPA.

The latter two are very close, if not equivalent to, say, mid-to-high range DSL speeds. That's on paper, of course. In the real world your mileage can vary wildly. They're also only available in select markets, but AT&T's coverage map should be able to tell you where your neighborhood stands.

But since the iPhone also has WiFi, public hotspots are also an option. Just keep in mind that if you're going to be using cellular-based data, get a plan. Otherwise you'll be charged a ****ing arm and a leg.

As to whether they'll sell you one before your plan is up for renewal? You probably can, but expect to pay way more than $500-$600. Wait it out, get it for that price. Your call.
I'll just wait it out and play with my friends I guess then. So EDGE is only included in certain plans? How much does it cost around? Thanks btw.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:
I'll just wait it out and play with my friends I guess then. So EDGE is only included in certain plans? How much does it cost around? Thanks btw.

No, data is data. The different speeds depend on what the device is capable of; so MediaMax on an iPhone will only go as fast as EDGE, but on a RAZR V3xx, it'll hop onto AT&T's 3G network (if available) and go a lot faster. It's purely what the hardware is capable of doing on the network, not different levels of data plans.

ant1532

Banned
xsarien said:
No, data is data. The different speeds depend on what the device is capable of; so MediaMax on an iPhone will only go as fast as EDGE, but on a RAZR V3xx, it'll hop onto AT&T's 3G network (if available) and go a lot faster. It's purely what the hardware is capable of doing on the network, not different levels of data plans.
Ah ok thanks. As long as I can use Google Maps while driving and out I'm gunna be hella happy.
sp0rsk said:
Those commercials reeeeeeeally make me want one.
Is the one your talkin bout with the montage of people saying hello on the tv shows? I love that commercial.

sp0rsk said:
Those commercials reeeeeeeally make me want one.

Yeah seriously... I know when it releases and all my friends have them I will be crying to have one.

But alas I can't afford it and I need to be pratical and get an iPod that actually has a decent amount of space.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ant1532 said:
Ah ok thanks. As long as I can use Google Maps while driving and out I'm gunna be hella happy.

Is the one your talkin bout with the montage of people saying hello on the tv shows? I love that commercial.

I haven't seen those. I'm talking about the ones in the OP. Do you have a link to the ones you're talking about?

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:

You don't know how bummed out I was when I loaded Google Maps for the first time only to find that it wasn't telling me my current location. :( Hopefully the iPhone edition of the app fixes that rather large hole in functionality.

sp0rsk said:
I haven't seen those. I'm talking about the ones in the OP. Do you have a link to the ones you're talking about?

here

I personally cant wait for the 2G iPhone

why did I have to watch the ads on the apple site, I really want one now, I wish I was rich.

aoi tsuki

xsarien said:
You don't know how bummed out I was when I loaded Google Maps for the first time only to find that it wasn't telling me my current location. :( Hopefully the iPhone edition of the app fixes that rather large hole in functionality.
i take it your cell doesn't have a GPS radio.

SuperPac

I want one, but I want to see some real-world reviews of the thing first.

Plus, talking on that thing in public would make me nervous. It's the kind of thing you'd get jumped in a parking lot for.

ant1532

Banned
I do wish it was more than 8 gigs though. I mean I have to hold off thousands of songs to fit on my 30 Gb Ipod without their album art :(

B-Ri

have they spoken at all about the screen sensitivity and durability? When i Day 1 this thing i wanna Day 1 put a Hori screen protector on it, will it **** up its touch inputs?

xsarien

daedsiluap
aoi tsuki said:
i take it your cell doesn't have a GPS radio.

It does. It's a Google thing, not a phone thing. As of now they only support GPS chips in Windows Mobile and Blackberry-powered devices.

Jobs on Google Maps for iPhone...
I love Google Maps, use it on my computer, you know, in a browser. But when we were doing the iPhone, we thought, wouldn’t it be great to have maps on the iPhone? And so we called up Google and they’d done a few client apps in Java on some phones and they had an API that we worked with them a little on. And we ended up writing a client app for those APIs. They would provide the backend service. And the app we were able to write, since we’re pretty reasonable at writing apps, blows away any Google Maps client. Just blows it away. Same set of data coming off the server, but the experience you have using it is unbelievable. It’s way better than the computer. And just in a completely different league than what they’d put on phones before.

as good as Googles client is, i can't wait to see what Apple pulled off. the demonstrations of it look amazing. i love how much it's integrated with the phone. being able to touch locations, get their contact info, and call them / visit their sites all within the maps client is gonna be sooooo awesome.

Fusebox

Banned
xsarien said:
It does. It's a Google thing, not a phone thing.

Same, the google maps on my phone won't read from the GPS unit for live updates, but I can export data from my GPS client into the google map client on my phone and check route data, and I can also use it to geotag any photos I take - not a really big issue though coz the local maps on my phones GPS client are first-rate anyway.

aoi tsuki

xsarien said:
It does. It's a Google thing, not a phone thing. As of now they only support GPS chips in Windows Mobile and Blackberry-powered devices.
Hmm, didn't know that. i assumed that the GPS function was instantly available to any device with a GPS radio.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm a big Mac and iPod guy, but I'm just not sold on the iPhone as an everyday phone/texting device. As much as I love the interface, between GSM, the virtual keyboard, the battery, and the fact that I probably can't just stick the thing in my pocket without a case, it's got a lot to prove in terms of basic functionality. All of the 'extra' stuff looks fantastic, though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This device is going to change high-end phones forever. I just bought a Motorola Q and I am amazed at it's capabilities. Getting an iPhone would probably warp my understanding of reality. People say that only Paris Hilton and celebs of that ilk will be getting one, I doubt it. There is an entire subculture built around cell phones. Those early adopters will fule iPhone sales an entire calendar year after launch. After that, the price will drop and then you will see others getting into the iPhone frenzy. But with Samsung already having a iPhone copy ready to go, I don't know how long the iPhone dominance will last. But the lasting effect will be cellphone and "smart" phone makers thinking out of the box and offering a truly unique experience. Even if that experience is only unique for 3-6 months.

ant1532

Banned
Can anyone point me to a well written article on current cell phones in Japan? I've read some but they seem to be outdated (before 06')

Fusebox

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
People say that only Paris Hilton and celebs of that ilk will be getting one, I doubt it. There is an entire subculture built around cell phones. Those early adopters will fule iPhone sales an entire calendar year after launch.

Possibly, but I personally think Apple fans and those who buy iEverything on day one will boost iPhone sales more than tech-freaks, who probably have all this functionality available to them already by some other means thats already on the market ie Dopod 838, N95 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom