• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

My Blackjack went from holy **** awesome to a piece of crap the second the iPhone was announced.

Contract is up in a year...

teiresias

About the only thing the iPhone has that I wish my current phone had is a more email-like interface to voicemail. The archaic "press 1 to listen, press 2 to save" voicemail systems are a pain the butt.

As it is though, the usual Apple sheep will line up in droves, and then they'll complain that too many people have them after three months and they don't feel "special" anymore.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
shantyman said:
From the NY Times:
Most analysts believe that Apple will easily exceed its initial goal of selling 10 million phones by the end of next year.

“It will be just 1 percent of the handset market,”
said Jagdish Rebello, director of wireless communications research at iSuppli, a market research firm based in El Segundo, Calif. “But it is essentially shifting the balance of power into the hands of the mobile device manufacturers.”
it's 1% of the handheld market, but Cingular's user base is somewhere between 60-70 million in the US. if the price isn't reduced, i'll be really shocked if they reach the 10m figure by the end of the year.

Jasoco

Banned
I want to get one so bad, but I am going to try and hold myself back until a few generations come and go. Let it mature. The tech whore in me wants to buy it and take it everywhere and show it off and be like the original iPod owners who bought this newfangled MP3 player and showed it to their friends and created the iPod movement. The same will happen with the iPhone. It'll build over time. Not only because they're actually calling it "the best iPod we've ever made" (Which also tells me that I don't think a new real iPod with this stuff in it will come out until the iPhone has been out for a while to prevent cannibalization.) but because it's just so damn cool.

I really use my current cell phone so little that I really don't need an iPhone. I love the web and mail features, the cool video and music stuff and the camera. The phone would be great too, but right now I'm paying 10 cents a minute. I have a prepaid phone. At the very least I pay $30 for 60 days. $182.50 a year. Getting an iPhone with some standard contract for me would be going from a couple hundred a year to a couple thousand. I can barely save up to buy myself a new computer let alone a real phone.

So I'll wait. Let it come down in price. Let the plans work themselves out. maybe eventually CingulAT&T will release a special "Prepaid iPhone". Or not. But I can dream. A full featured iPhone with prepaid rates.

I really just like the OS and how it works. So maybe Leopard will come out and have the same eye candy to satisfy the "GUI effect" geek in me. Or a new real iPod without the phone. I might just get one of those. it'll happen. Steve may as well just say "The new iPods in 2008 will be like iPhones without the phone (And possibly camera)" since that's what he keeps implying every time he says "iPhone = best iPod ever".

8GB is nothing. Let's hope in time, hopefully G2 will have at least 16 and 32. I have almost 200GB of video and music in my iTunes. Music alone is almost 20GB. So let's have more space plzkthx. I know they went with more expensive flash for battery reasons. HD's would eat the battery faster. Anyone think if the iPods (Actual iPods) came out like the iPhone sans phone, would they still have HD's? In other words, is it the phone part that's really eating the battery life? Or is it the OS and touch screen that's killing the life of the battery?

Damn, I typed an essay again.

soundwave05 said:
That's a bit overblown to put it mildly. It's takes a whopping 3 seconds to wipe a LCD screen clean. I recall people saying this same thing would be an issue with the DS. It's really not that big of a deal.

It takes a whopping 1.5 seconds to scratch the Nano screen.

The durability of Apple products has been on the decline and I shudder to imagine what this thing would look like after a week in your pocket.

scorcho said:
it's 1% of the handheld market, but Cingular's user base is somewhere between 60-70 million in the US. if the price isn't reduced, i'll be really shocked if they reach the 10m figure by the end of the year.

That's the end of NEXT year. And they're counting on pulling a lot of customers from other carriers as well as selling them to existing customers. Still seems like an ambitious number.

For what it's worth, my Verizon contract has been up for a year and a half, but I haven't bought a new phone, so I'm still not under contract. Out of the blue last Friday they called to try to get me back under a 2 year plan. Offered me extra minutes, credits on my bill, and $200 off a new phone. I passed, as I'm probably jumping to AT&T when the iPhone comes out. I just found it amusing that after all this time they wanted me back under contract with the iPhone dropping just a month later.

WickedAngel said:

The durability of Apple products has been on the decline and I shudder to imagine what this thing would look like after a week in your pocket.

The screen is suppose to be coated with an anti-scratch coating to prevent these issues. People also said the same thing about the PSP screen, and my launch PSP still doesn't have a scratch on it. Plenty of finger prints though! :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
WickedAngel said:

Oh no, not this meme again. The Nano gen 1 was no more susceptible to scratches than any other iPod at the time.

shantyman said:
Oh no, not this meme again. The Nano gen 1 was no more susceptible to scratches than any other iPod at the time.

:lol k

You Apple fanboys are the worst. The scratches are only one part of the equation; the Nano also had a poorly designed screen and the hardware is glitchy at best.

Well, the battery life will probably be abysmal and until Cingular is linked to a higher speed/bandwidth network, it's functionality will be very limited.

It looks like the software has been perfected but for now, the hardware will not be good enough.

WickedAngel said:

You Apple fanboys are the worst. The scratches are only one part of the equation; the Nano also had a poorly designed screen and the hardware is glitchy at best.

I have a second gen Nano, so obviously the case has changed to project it from scratches. What glitches are you talking about? I have had none in the year that I've had it.

thirty

Banned
what i hate is that you can't take the battery out of the iPhone. this battery's life span is gonna be significantly shorter than the battery of an iPod. so much for buying extra batteries.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I have a second gen Nano, so obviously the case has changed to project it from scratches. What glitches are you talking about? I have had none in the year that I've had it.

I've have had two Nanos (One 1st gen, one 2nd gen). My girlfriend has had two Nanos (Both 2nd gen). She purchased hers in-store and I purchased mine online. Both of us have had to exchange them due to frequent freezing/skipping issues and other things such as the internal batteries holding fractions of the charges they're supposed to hold. The units we received in exchange worked fine but have begun to show the same problems as time wears on.

I'm not happy, especially when considering the fact that I was the one who sold her on the damned things to begin with.

WickedAngel said:
I've have had two Nanos (One 1st gen, one 2nd gen). My girlfriend has had two Nanos (Both 2nd gen). She purchased hers in-store and I purchased mine online. Both of us have had to exchange them due to frequent freezing/skipping issues and other things such as the internal batteries holding fractions of the charges they're supposed to hold. The units we received in exchange worked fine but have begun to show the same problems as time wears on.

I'm not happy, especially when considering the fact that I was the one who sold her on the damned things to begin with.

Hmm...interesting. I've not experienced these issues at all, nor has my good friend who has a 2nd gen. Nano as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The iphone will be HUGE!! I'm thinking about cancelling my plan with Sprint and going to Cingular some today.

ant1532

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
The iphone will be HUGE!! I'm thinking about cancelling my plan with Sprint and going to Cingular some today.
Do it! I used to be Sprint but damn do I hate them! Switch!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
scorcho said:

End of *next* year...

mckmas8808

ant1532 said:
Do it! I used to be Sprint but damn do I hate them! Switch!

The only problem is my girl has Sprint too and we use the sprint to sprint service so that we don't use our minutes within our plan.

I can easily talk to her for 2,000 minutes a month.

ant1532

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
The only problem is my girl has Sprint too and we use the sprint to sprint service so that we don't use our minutes within our plan.

I can easily talk to her for 2,000 minutes a month.

Tell her to switch with you! Or just move your conversations to night time lol.

Nick

I want one so, so bad. But I must hold out for a 3G version... I must... even if I do get this job at Cingular... ;___;

scorcho

GDJustin said:
End of *next* year...
i didn't write by the end of the calendar year. i meant a year after the product is launched, which would then be June/July 2008. amazing how people are so sensitive for such a small slip.

regardless, i'd be very shocked to see it hit the 10m mark.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
WickedAngel said:

Call me a fanboy if you want. It was no different than the other iPods- I owned both types (3g 20 gig before a 1G Nano). They were all scratch prone.

As for poorly designed screen and glitchy SW, you are talking out of your ass.

EDIT: I agree with your 100% on the battery issue. Apple flat out lied regarding the battery life. It was 2-4 hours at best, and they advertised 10-12 IIRC for the 1G Nano.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The phone being financially out of reach for lots of people (at least initially) is a selling point for those who can afford it. It's supposed to be the Ferrari of cellphones. There are many RAZR early adopters who hate what Motorola did to that product line. Read some of the comments posted in the near-monthly "Cellphone-Age" threads for proof.

Anyone willing to drop $500/600 will want to enjoy some exclusivity for a decent period of time.

mckmas8808

mashoutposse said:
Anyone willing to drop $500/600 will want to enjoy some exclusivity for a decent period of time.

I agree. It's like buying a new pair of Jordans.

rkenshin

Why is everyone saying people will pay full price for this when most of the time, they go for the yearly contracts w/ a sizable discount

scorcho

rkenshin said:
Why is everyone saying people will pay full price for this when most of the time, they go for the yearly contracts w/ a sizable discount
because the price quoted is with a two-year contract. you cannot buy this phone unlocked or sans contract.

rkenshin

scorcho said:
because the price quoted is with a two-year contract. you cannot buy this phone unlocked or sans contract.

Oh well I guess continue bitching about the price then, that seems a bit too bloated to me..

mashoutposse

Ante Up
mckmas8808 said:
I agree. It's like buying a new pair of Jordans.

Yep. We don't need to see everyone and their pizza delivery guy with one of these up to their ears on day one. Leave that to an "iPhone mini" or something similar down the line.

mckmas8808

mashoutposse said:
Yep. We don't need to see everyone and their pizza delivery guy with one of these up to their ears on day one. Leave that to an "iPhone mini" or something similar down the line.

Yeah too bad there aren't more guys in this thread that "get" it like you and me.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Yeah too bad there aren't more guys in this thread that "get" it like you and me.

Really, Apple's strategy has always centered around amping up the desirability of their products; it is clear that they want their customers making emotional purchases and not practical. They have always achieved this by launching with products in the uppermost percentile with regards to design and functionality, which leads to high prices (but still reasonable value). They then slowly but surely scale back until it is possible to have offerings within a given brand for every kind of consumer. Happened with the Mac, happened with the iPod, will happen with the iPhone. Give it time...

Sprint's customer service isn't the best in the world but no one can beat their data plan right now. $15 a month for EVDO beats down the competition. The PPC 6800 is probably Sprint's competitor to the iphone. 4gb micro sd cards should be out soon and 8 gb next year.

The iphone isn't bad but after using Window mobile devices it seems fairly limited in comparison.

Anyone who spends $600 on a phone is a fool. I used to make fun of those who purchased the 60g PS3, but hell, at least they were getting a full fledged BR player to go along with a gaming console. $600 for a phone that will be out antiquated in less than a year? :lol Give me a break. This thing will be lucky to hit the 5 million mark. The contract obligations certainly don't help. And before the Apple fanbois swarm in and attack me, I'm the owner of a 24'' iMac and two iPods.

SonnyBoy

maximum360 said:
Sprint's customer service isn't the best in the world but no one can beat their data plan right now. $15 a month for EVDO beats down the competition. The PPC 6800 is probably Sprint's competitor to the iphone. 4gb micro sd cards should be out soon and 8 gb next year.

The iphone isn't bad but after using Window mobile devices it seems fairly limited in comparison.

The 6800 is utter trash and I can't wait to rid myself of it. :lol

Futureman

The only time a price has been mentioned for the iPhone was back in January. Since then, with all the press events Jobs has attended and the commercials and what not, we've heard nothing about the price. Awhile back there were some rumors that AT&T was distributing a survey in regards to the pricing and contracts.

I guess we'll find out all the final details a week from today at WWDC.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Incognito said:
Anyone who spends $600 on a phone is a fool. I used to make fun of those who purchased the 60g PS3, but hell, at least they were getting a full fledged BR player to go along with a gaming console. $600 for a phone that will be out antiquated in less than a year? :lol Give me a break. This thing will be lucky to hit the 5 million mark. The contract obligations certainly don't help. And before the Apple fanbois swarm in and attack me, I'm the owner of a 24'' iMac and two iPods.

$600 is a tough pill to swallow to be sure. But what are the alternatives? People complain about the 8GB of internal flash memory, but I'm not aware of many other phones with that kind of built in storage. The Prada phone is mentioned, but it costs at least as much (if not more) than the iPhone (cell service is a sunk cost, so no need to moan about the 2 year contract). This is before the revolutionary interface and the numerous unique data-based features that aren't available on other hardware yet.

I'd say $600 is acceptable for what it offers.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Given that iPhone is GSM I should technically be able to stick in any of my working sim cards and get service right?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
capslock said:
Given that iPhone is GSM I should technically be able to stick in any of my working sim cards and get service right?

The phone is locked to ATT/Cingular. I'm not sure how international service will be handled, but, domestically, the card will have to be linked to ATT service (at least at the outset). They may unlock after a few months of service under the 2-year contract as they did for early adopter RAZR customers back in the day.

scorcho said:

Hint - the iPhone isn't just selling to the existing customer base.

mashoutposse said:
The phone is locked to ATT/Cingular. I'm not sure how international service will be handled, but, domestically, the card will have to be linked to ATT service (at least at the outset). They may unlock after a few months of service under the 2-year contract as they did for early adopter RAZR customers back in the day.

The security encryption will likely be hacked within the first month but how stable the phone will be on other networks is a huge question mark.

mckmas8808

capslock said:
That's awesome, who needs Macs either, I will just get cut down OS X emulator on my PC, AWESOME AND WIN!

human5892 said:
Wow, it's completely working and everything!

Yeah I love the iphone, but if Steve wants to **** me by not letting Sprint sell it to me then what is a man to do? As soon as I get my HTC Titan this Fall from Sprint I'm downloading his application.

I'm having me some damn iphone capabilities regardless. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom