• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I love the iphone, but if Steve wants to **** me by not letting Sprint sell it to me then what is a man to do?
I feel your pain there, although even if I was a current AT&T customer I think the iPhone would be a little too rich for my blood.

yayaba

mckmas8808 said:
iphone like tech and software are already appearing on Windows mobile phones.

Sorry Steve you just lost a customer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0EDd85F2pc

Eh. It was cool until he touched each icon and it went into Windows Mobile.

You're only fooling yourself with this kind of software.

I'm glad I'm on AT&T now so if I wanted to get this I could. I'm not sure yet if I will though. I like my current phone just fine even if it feels last-gen compared to this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I walk by that awesome apple store every day on my way to work. It'll be hard for me to resist the iphone :\

yayaba

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I love the iphone, but if Steve wants to **** me by not letting Sprint sell it to me then what is a man to do? As soon as I get my HTC Titan this Fall from Sprint I'm downloading his application.

I think from Steve's point of view it's easier for Apple to just deal with one company. Imagine if he worked with both CDMA carriers and both GSM carriers -- that's a lot of extra overhead to have to worry about.

SonnyBoy said:
The 6800 is utter trash and I can't wait to rid myself of it. :lol

Wow. Did you go forward in time and pick one up? It's won't be out for another two weeks. :lol

The 6800 is the HTC Titan which someone mentioned above. You sir are in error!

Fusebox

Banned
soundwave05 said:
It's takes a whopping 3 seconds to wipe a LCD screen clean. I recall people saying this same thing would be an issue with the DS. It's really not that big of a deal.

Nah it takes more than 3 seconds to get a touch-PDA screen back to mint, the grease likes to move around more than it moves off although it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, I just learned to live with it - but I dont understand how was it ever gonna be an issue with the DS? I use a stylus to touch the screen, not my fingertips and ears lol.

Anyway it isn't a issue except for when you're trying to eat greasy food and use your phone at the same time.

scorcho said:
that bit of pretentious elitism is just a tad pathetic.

It's an Apple thing. Rampant loyalism mixed with a refined sense of delusion. :lol One of them was just stupid enough to accuse me of lying about hardware failures (Why in the **** would I possibly lie about something like that? It's not like I'm in here pimping an alternative).

Anyone that knows how to use Google and can type "Nano problems" knows exactly what I'm talking about. You're best putting the hardest of the hardcore fanboys on Ignore; their opinions aren't really worth anything outside of the Steve Jobs fansite.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yayaba said:
I think from Steve's point of view it's easier for Apple to just deal with one company. Imagine if he worked with both CDMA carriers and both GSM carriers -- that's a lot of extra overhead to have to worry about.

Yeah you're right. I want EVDO Rev A, but the iphone doesn't have it. So I'll be getting the HTC Titan. It will have Windows Media 6 and EVDO Rev A. You gotta love 1MB downloadspeeds.

Too bad it comes out this Fall. :(

mckmas8808

maximum360 said:
Sprint will release the Titan this month. EVDO revision A won't be available until this fall though (along with GPS).

No I read they are going to cancel the WM 5.0 with no EVDO-A and just come out with the WM 6.0 with EVDO-A this fall and put advertising dollars behind it. Again this is what I read.

But what is this GPS that you speak of? Will it be built into the phone? Is it made by TomTom.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
this may have already been asked, but...

My Verizon subscrption actually ends real soon so I'm in the market.
Is there anything similiar coming out for Verizon anytime soon, so I wouldn't have to switch carriers? Like from Samsung (my fav) or LG (crappy, but could suffice)?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
John Harker said:
this may have already been asked, but...

My Verizon subscrption actually ends real soon so I'm in the market.
Is there anything similiar coming out for Verizon anytime soon, so I wouldn't have to switch carriers? Like from Samsung (my fav) or LG (crappy, but could suffice)?

I would imagine that eventually there will be something similar...like there are music players similar to ipods. I don't know about soon, though. If something was coming out soon, I would imagine it would be hyped to hell to stem the tide of people leaving for at&t.

John Harker

xnipx said:
Verizon is getting the LG Prada phone, which is basically the same. Hopefully sprint will too

When?
When are phones of similiar ilk available for Verizon? Cause I gotta switch plans soon...

mckmas8808 said:
No I read they are going to cancel the WM 5.0 with no EVDO-A and just come out with the WM 6.0 with EVDO-A this fall and put advertising dollars behind it. Again this is what I read.

But what is this GPS that you speak of? Will it be built into the phone? Is it made by TomTom.

http://ppcgeeks.com/official-word-t5144.html

-Official name is Mogul

-EVDO rev 0 at launch but will be software upgradeable to rev A in Fall 07

-Internal antenna

-Thinner and more rounded than PPC6700

-2MP camera

-Will support JAVA

-GPS will not be available at launch but will be available for upgrade in Fall 07

-The primary reason for the initial delay was to include Windows Mobile 6. The Mogul will be our first device with WM6. WM6 is being positioned by Microsoft as robust as BES or Good server technology. .

mashoutposse

Ante Up
mckmas8808 said:
iphone like tech and software are already appearing on Windows mobile phones.

Sorry Steve you just lost a customer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0EDd85F2pc

Wow, very impressive. But all he really implemented was scrolling and an iPhone skin. None of the cool stuff like multitouch or the interestingly executed applications or the seamlessness of the entire OS. I will still get iPhone 8GB on day one.

yoopoo

Banned
Fusebox said:
xnipx they're both great looking touch-screen phones with mid-range technology, seems like a perfectly fair comparison to me.

Here's another phone for the mix:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/like-the...vealed-its-actually-got-some-juice-261388.php

Most of the Meizu specs are even higher than the iPhone like the screen res, GPS, 3mp camera etc.

Quick question though, my phones TV-out is limited to 640 x 480, whats the TV-out specs on the iPhone?
Meizu's mp3 player line is already better then the ipod, won't be surprized if they beat'em in the phone area too.

yoopoo said:
Meizu's mp3 player line is already better then the ipod, won't be surprized if they beat'em in the phone area too.

Agreed. Of the two, I'd easily pick the Meizu. Competition is always good for consumers in the end. Hopefully iPhones success will light the fire under some of the competition so they'll come correct and not rehash the same phone with minimal upgrades every year.

I saw an interview with the head of Verizon recently where he said they have an answer to the iPhone coming soon, but it hadn't been revealed yet. Was he speaking of the Prada but it hadn't been officially announced? Interesting... Isn't the Prada phone more expensive than the iPhone? I know it's not cheap, that's for sure.

It's funny how Verizon passed on the iPhone, since it was offered to them first. Now we'll have to wait and see if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
yoopoo said:

Yeah the Meizu thing looks awesome, iPhone with great specs.

Blutonium

My mobile phone membership ends when this thing is coming out, so if I'm gonna extend it, I can pick this thing up for way less than the original price, and when I trade the first version in I can get a discount on the revision. I love it.

Anyhow, could somebody do me a favor and post the link to that Wiki which informs you if it's a good time to buy a Mac product. I get this Wikitosh site with Google but it's a ****ing labyrinth...

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I saw an interview with the head of Verizon recently where he said they have an answer to the iPhone coming soon, but it hadn't been revealed yet. Was he speaking of the Prada but it hadn't been officially announced? Interesting... Isn't the Prada phone more expensive than the iPhone? I know it's not cheap, that's for sure.

It's funny how Verizon passed on the iPhone, since it was offered to them first. Now we'll have to wait and see if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

That it may. Also, Engadget has something up on HTC's answer to the iPhone. I'm thinking that if HTC made this bold claim they would come correct but it's kind of a let down:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/htcs-touch-with-touchflo-the-elf-with-new-3d-sweep-interface/

All they really need to do is incorporate their new TouchFLO system into the Kaiser and add a VGA screen FTW.

mckmas8808

Okay guys this is my new baby since I can't get the iphone.

10794d1180635452-i-got-dirt-first-slide1.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
Okay guys this is my new baby since I can't get the iphone.

10794d1180635452-i-got-dirt-first-slide1.jpg

You've seen the light. :)

With a new contract it should run you ~ $400. So far pricing estimates have this phone at somewhere between $500-$550 without rebates.

Blutonium said:
Anyhow, could somebody do me a favor and post the link to that Wiki which informs you if it's a good time to buy a Mac product. I get this Wikitosh site with Google but it's a ****ing labyrinth...

You need a Wiki to tell you when it's a good time to buy a Mac? Depending on the model you're looking for, wait until WWDC next week. Otherwise, just buy one. It's like any other computer. It's going to be replaced with something new eventually, so you just have to bite the bullet and buy at some point.

Edit: I'll help you out some. TODAY is the best day to buy a MacBook Pro.

mckmas8808

maximum360 said:
You've seen the light. :)

With a new contract it should run you ~ $400. So far pricing estimates have this phone at somewhere between $500-$550 without rebates.

Yeah I've read $549. I didn't realize what you guys were saying about 3rd party support until now.

I didn't realize all the cool stuff you can add to the WM phones. It's nice.

John Harker

jeez, why do verizon phones suck in comparison?
I cant even tell what the best in the market is/coming out soon, seems so rehashed

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I've read $549. I didn't realize what you guys were saying about 3rd party support until now.

I didn't realize all the cool stuff you can add to the WM phones. It's nice.

Your options are almost endless. There's a ton of software out there.

Right now one of the coolest things you can do is use Orb. I have a tv tuner connected to my pc at home so when I feel like watching some tv on my PPC 6700 I just log into Orb and pick my channel to play. Streaming live tv is great (and you need EVDO speeds for good quality). I also have access to all my recorded tv shows, other video, music, pictures, etc.

Windows Mobile today is what Palm was 5-6 years ago. Palm absolutely dominated on the software front then.

John Harker said:
jeez, why do verizon phones suck in comparison?
I cant even tell what the best in the market is/coming out soon, seems so rehashed

I left Verizon primarily due to their data plan. They have the equivalent of Sprint's EVDO but their data plan (even for PDAs) is $45, three times as much as Sprint's.

love the look of this thing, but in a sense it works against it. I wouldn't use it as a regular phone as it gets knocked around, dropped on the floor etc. Its also such a desirable design and build, I wouldn't want to even scratch the thing (as a $600 ultra gadget)

mckmas8808

maximum360 said:
Your options are almost endless. There's a ton of software out there.

Right now one of the coolest things you can do is use Orb. I have a tv tuner connected to my pc at home so when I feel like watching some tv on my PPC 6700 I just log into Orb and pick my channel to play. Streaming live tv is great (and you need EVDO speeds for good quality). I also have access to all my recorded tv shows, other video, music, pictures, etc.

Windows Mobile today is what Palm was 5-6 years ago. Palm absolutely dominated on the software front then.

Do you have Windows Mobile Professional? And how powerful does your computer have to be in order to use that TV tuner properly enough to stream it to your PPC 6700?

mckmas8808 said:
Do you have Windows Mobile Professional? And how powerful does your computer have to be in order to use that TV tuner properly enough to stream it to your PPC 6700?

The PPC 6700 has WM 5.0. I don't think the tv tuner requires much processor power at all since all the encoding is done by the tuner itself (hardware encoder). When watching video other than live tv, I'm not sure (since that does not use or require the tv tuner), though I'm confident that the hit will not be much. The biggest factor seems to be bandwidth. EVDO is almost essential for a quality experience.

You can check www.orb.com and their forums for requirements.

The other option for a tv tuner is Slingbox. But as far as I'm aware that's only useful for live tv. I'm not sure if you can use slingbox to stream other media from your pc (video, music, pictures, et.c).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
White Man said:
****, June 29th? I'm not sure I can go near a full month without a cell phone (mine just permanently died 2 days ago).

Mine started cutting out in the middle of calls 2 weeks ago, fixed itself Friday somehow, people phoning me may still be under the impression its broken though. Haven't been this relaxed at work for months :D

White Man said:
****, June 29th? I'm not sure I can go near a full month without a cell phone (mine just permanently died 2 days ago).

Are you already a customer for AT&T? If not, sign up, get a temp phone, then use the 30 day return policy to get the iPhone at the end of the month. Simple. ;)

ant1532

Banned
Hold on if your phone breaks you can get out of the contract and get a different phone!!?? My phone fell in the water and still works but it's so close to breaking if I can get the iphone if this dies I'll just finish it off.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Breaking your phone doesnt get you out of the contract, If you have insurance, it could get you a new handset free..that's about it.

ant1532 said:
Hold on if your phone breaks you can get out of the contract and get a different phone!!?? My phone fell in the water and still works but it's so close to breaking if I can get the iphone if this dies I'll just finish it off.

Sorry. I meant if you were already out of your contract. I've been without a contract with Verizon for at least a year and a half. Although they did call last week try to get me back under contract. :lol

ant1532

Banned
Grrr!

Anyways, I think if I can get it for normal price before my contract goes out but can't activate the phone till September(when the contract goes out) I think I will get it on launch just to play around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom