• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Yes, I went through the initial setup. I only have one console tied to my PSN account and that's it. No other devices.

Edit: The error is error nw-8942-3

I was able to connect for a while but now it's giving me the same error, dont worry the vita is fine, it's PSN that's borked right now

aett

When are they going to be adding more PS1 Classics to the Vita store? I want to play Crash Bandicoot 2 on that amazing screen...

AWWW MAN CAN'T WAIT TO FINALLY PICK UP MY DUNGEON HUNTER CART TOMORROW >:O I need me a dungeon crawler/loot fest on the go. Still getting hung up on those supercar challenges in Motorstorm RC.. Just running out of time lately.

Also wondering if anyone will notice my avatar... >.>

yurinka

I think you'll like this, Vitabros:
Metacritic said:
PlayStation Vita / PSP

Three out of 2012's four highest-scoring handheld games (not including iOS) were found on the PlayStation Vita, and the first-year platform also edged out both Nintendo handhelds in average Metascore for 2012 releases. The Vita also managed one 90+ release: Persona 4 Golden, a port of the PS2 game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

The number of scored 2012 releases for Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's Vita were virtually identical (77 vs. 76), but nearly 45% of the Vita's games received positive reviews compared to just 31% of the 3DS titles. Nintendo, of course, still has the edge where it counts: in hardware and software sales.

3DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 66.2
DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.6
Wii 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.9
Wii U 2012 Avg. Metascore 68.6
360 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.5
Vita 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.7
PS3 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
PC 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
PSP 2012 Avg. Metascore 71.2 *
* = Includes Minis, also compatible with PS3 and Vita

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2012?page=1
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2012?page=2

Oyashiro

Yay, PSN is now working. I activated PS+ as well, getting Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Retro City Rampage for free already makes the service totally worth it. I thought we were supposed to have Jet Set Radio free as well?

Massa

Note to Sony:

$5 off LBP Vita does not a Holiday Essential sale make

LBP was on sale for the first week of the Holiday Essentials thing. It was $18 for PS+.

Yay, PSN is now working. I activated PS+ as well, getting Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Retro City Rampage for free already makes the service totally worth it. I thought we were supposed to have Jet Set Radio free as well?

Jet Set Radio and Mutant Blobs Attack were replaced by Retro City Rampage and Chronovolt.

On my "games that are the opposite of fun" list, Jet Set Radio is probably at the top.

You're not missing anything. Game's aged like Madonna.

MisterC20XX

Uh oh, I made sure to buy the PS3 version of Sound Shapes but PSN is only letting me download the Vita version. Did somebody at Sony mess up or is this a sign I'm only supposed to play it on my Vita? :)

B.O.O.M

I think you'll like this, Vitabros:

See here's my issue. Metacritic gives (I'm assuming this from one of their articles) a compliment to vita by saying how much better the quality of the overall software is....but they can't seem to do so without using a backhanded approach where they mention sales.

I would be ok with this if this was NPD or some sales related site/article but this is just sad.

ps: when metacritic says what counts is sales and not the quality...you know something is wrong with this industry and media

Another interesting thing to note:

1INMG

Among games with a Metacritic score of 80 or above, less than half of them are ports. Yet if you only go by the public's general impressions, you'd think ports are the vast majority of the library.

Jamix012

1INMG

Among games with a Metacritic score of 80 or above, less than half of them are ports. Yet if you only go by the public's general impressions, you'd think ports are the vast majority of the library.

Not that I want to disprove you (I love both the ports and original games on my Vita), but I counted that 9 of 16 of those were ports. I included P4G I suppose so I guess a case could be made, but still. Either way, as long as I get to play new games that I've never played I'm very happy.

VanWinkle

Not that I want to disprove you (I love both the ports and original games on my Vita), but I counted that 9 of 16 of those were ports. I included P4G I suppose so I guess a case could be made, but still. Either way, as long as I get to play new games that I've never played I'm very happy.

Did you count VLR as a port? Do we know that it was developed for 3DS and ported to Vita? I honestly don't know since I haven't played it.

1INMG

I think it's less to do with ports and more to do with originality. The only game in that list that is original and just on the Vita is Gravity Rush. Everything else is either a port, enchanced remake, released on multiple systems, or very similar to previous games in the franchise.

Of course most of that list is really good, but I get where the complaint comes from.

VanWinkle

I think it's less to do with ports and more to do with originality. The only game in that list that is original and just on the Vita is Gravity Rush. Everything else is either a port, enchanced remake, released on multiple systems, or very similar to previous games in the franchise.

Of course most of that list is really good, but I get where the complaint comes from.

Well, let's take 3DS as another example. What great original IPs are on 3DS?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Seems only games I enjoy on the vita are fighters. Persona 4 really isn't for me and games like gravity rush and Uncharted seem out of place on the GO. As long as they port the fighter i ll be a happy camper! 2D sidescrollers also seem to work really well on the go... ahh if only they would remake Guardian heroes with online play for the vita!

Yeah, I only count 8 max and that's being unsure on some.
I only count 7. I don't consider simultaneous releases across platforms "ports" at all.

I see where you're coming from. But in this day and age of ridiculous budgets, I don't consider exclusives a factor at all. It's just a fact - there are fewer exclusives to go around this generation. Nonetheless, games like Sound Shapes and Sine Mora suit the portable format so much better.

The "original IP" situation isn't much better on 3DS, either.

Ports can be fun games too. . .
Yep, and I hope for lots more. DOA5+ and PSO2 are almost sure to be my most-played games this year...

VanWinkle

Pretty much the same issue... I own both and seriously there is not a tonne of games worth while for either console... its like devs don't want to take my money ;p!

Well I disagree with you there. I don't only play original IPs. That would be a terribly small list of games I'd want to play. There's plenty of great games on Vita and 3DS IMO.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Well I disagree with you there. I don't only play original IPs. That would be a terribly small list of games I'd want to play. There's plenty of great games on Vita and 3DS IMO.

Depends on your tastes... I count maybe 8 games worth while that interest me on both consoles. Yeah don't like all genres and extremely picky so I guess its not so bad but its far from the ds times...

Well, let's take 3DS as another example. What great original IPs are on 3DS?

The "original IP" situation isn't much better on 3DS, either.

Neither system is doing gangbusters in the West, pointing at the other with disdain isn't going to do the Vita any favors. What the 3DS does have going for it are franchises that skew younger and carry more nostalgia for older gamers, but neither is really a bastion of creativity. That said I own and love both.

I see where you're coming from. But in this day and age of ridiculous budgets, I don't consider exclusives a factor at all. It's just a fact - there are fewer exclusives to go around this generation. Nonetheless, games like Sound Shapes and Sine Mora suit the portable format so much better.

I think for people that already own it, this is very true. The thing is an amazing piece of hardware, enough to make even ports of stuff I already own suddenly seem like an interesting purchase. But that's not enough to convince the masses and bring the system success. There's just so much stacked against it, even a better, more diverse library wouldn't solely save the system, especially in the West.

VanWinkle

Neither system is doing gangbusters in the West, pointing at the other with disdain isn't going to do the Vita any favors. What the 3DS does have going for it are franchises that skew younger and carry more nostalgia for older gamers, but neither is really a bastion of creativity. That said I own and love both.

I agree with you. I just get a little frustrated seeing the lack-of-original-IP argument levied against the Vita so often and never hearing a word about it on the equality poor in that department 3DS.

Odrion

Banned
Really for "Killer Apps" the only thing the 3DS has over the Vita is 3D Land, every other game weirdly has a counterpart on it's rival handheld.

Of course this year only one of the handhelds will get a new Monster Hunter. Blaaaah, moneyhats.

Does anyone have any of the big wireless PS3 headsets? I know the "elite" ones are compatible with the Vita via a cord, but I am desperately trying to find a wireless solution for my Vita. Any ideas? Unravelling cords is driving me insane.

Ok guys, with Katamari so cheap, is it worth picking up on PSN? This is coming from someone who has played all of them, and has been less and less impressed since the original. Am I better off saving my money for Sound Shapes, or a future Vita sale?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Really for "Killer Apps" the only thing the 3DS has over the Vita is 3D Land, every other game weirdly has a counterpart on it's rival handheld.

Of course this year only one of the handhelds will get a new Monster Hunter. Blaaaah, moneyhats.

There's a rival to Kid Icarus Uprising on Vita? Please tell me which is cuz I could really use another handheld g.o.a.t.

Yagharek

Well, finally voted in the GOTY thread for GAF 2012 and Wipeout 2048 came in at my number 1. Bonuses of Fury and HD content is amazing value.

Well, finally voted in the GOTY thread for GAF 2012 and Wipeout 2048 came in at my number 1. Bonuses of Fury and HD content is amazing value.

I killed HD and Fury back at their releases and I'm still enjoying replaying them on the Vita. You're right, it's an absolutely amazing value.

Yagharek

I killed HD and Fury back at their releases and I'm still enjoying replaying them on the Vita. You're right, it's an absolutely amazing value.

I ordered a copy of 2048 the day I bought my Vita, and the demo kept me hooked for the slow 4 weeks of shipping. The fact Beelzedub (Orbital track) was the first song playing made a huge impression, since Wipeout 2097 was the game that led me to discover the band in the first place.

It really is the perfect racing game for me, and the introduction is retrospectively tear inducing as it shows the evolution of racing from cars to Formula 1 (ie F1 on PS1) through to Rollcage (another Psygnosis game) up the walls and finally to antigrav racing.

Sad to see them go, but they went out as the greatest racing game dev of all time.

I ordered a copy of 2048 the day I bought my Vita, and the demo kept me hooked for the slow 4 weeks of shipping. The fact Beelzedub (Orbital track) was the first song playing made a huge impression, since Wipeout 2097 was the game that led me to discover the band in the first place.

It really is the perfect racing game for me, and the introduction is retrospectively tear inducing as it shows the evolution of racing from cars to Formula 1 (ie F1 on PS1) through to Rollcage (another Psygnosis game) up the walls and finally to antigrav racing.

Sad to see them go, but they went out as the greatest racing game dev of all time.

The loss of Psygnosis was tragic. I went to my first rave back in 96' solely because of the Wipeout series. Their mid-90s electronic soundtrack, Designer's Republic aesthetic, and early Red Bull sponsorship, set the tone for my late teens / early 20s. It was THAT influential on me.

Yagharek

The loss of Psygnosis was tragic. I went to my first rave back in 96' solely because of the Wipeout series. Their mid-90s electronic soundtrack, Designer's Republic aesthetic, and early Red Bull sponsorship, set the tone for my late teens / early 20s. It was THAT influential on me.

I still mutter 'contender eliminated' when driving past broken down cars on the highway.

I still mutter 'contender eliminated' when driving past broken down cars on the highway.

After visiting the UK (and Ministry of Sound) in the mid 90s, I imported two cases of Red Bull back to the states, based on Wipeout and the clubs out there. I was a super stud for a while for being so ahead of the curve. Now I'm just middle aged, married, and (slightly) overweight. It was a fun ride of clubs and pubs, and I thank Psygnosis for setting me on that path.

HBroward

The Sony store sale is still going, and I believe the 32gb are back in stock showing a ship date of January 8th. Jump on it if you missed it before, my 32gb was $64 including tax and shipped.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, it's not annoying as much as it is just boring when you might have to repeat some parts of the game a million times.

I think I've read something about a patch making it a bit more bearable (that is, enemies drop bounties more often). I actually didn't have too much trouble getting the coins & gems (I got them during two playthroughs (Normal & Crushing) + while collecting all the treasures I hadn't found by then). For some reason one of the Card-type bounties took me, like, 30 times of repeat plays of one part in one chapter (there was a part where I could kill maybe 10-12 enemies quite quickly with a sniper rifle -> kill myself -> do it again). The enemies simply didn't drop them that often.

Btw, why can't you get any trophies with the Japanese retail card? I have DJ MAX Technika Tune from Japan & I can get trophies just fine...

Also, Derrick, there are no bounties that can't be achieved alone (at least not anymore, maybe there was before the patch?)

I started off with trophies but then switched accounts (from US to UK) and that messed them up.

Think I'll leave it for now, still have a sizeable backlog on vita

The Sony store sale is still going, and I believe the 32gb are back in stock showing a ship date of January 8th. Jump on it if you missed it before, my 32gb was $64 including tax and shipped.

Out of stock now. Haha.

Got mine today (from Walmart), downloaded all my games.

14gb left still.

I'll probably get PS All Stars, Sonic Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune and Need for Speed Most Wanted eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom