• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why cross game chat is a good alternative. What's so difficult about it?

XBOX360 = 512MB of RAM (32MB allocated for the OS)
Wii U = 2048MB of RAM (1024MB allocated for the OS)

DizzyCrow

I actually think the opposite. Splatoon is a game that is also built to be tactical played and communcation can be important then. We know that games like Black Ops 2 support in-game voice chat on WiiU, so its not a technical issue. I would say that its a big design oversight if Splatoon doesnt have in-game voice chat.

EDIT: Come to think of it, i'm kinda surprised why this hasnt been confirmed yet. Has no one asked about in-game voice chat on Twitter? (or maybe they have, but the developers havnt answered).
I agree, even Metroid Prime Hunter on DS had it.

Sify64

People are dicks, that is the reason game chat is/ will be restricted to the lobby with friends only if they decide to implement it in Splatoon just like MK8.

I always mute people, but I don't like that the choice is being taken away from others,

KooopaKid

Banned
9i6L9pZl.jpg

Remember this retro 2d gameplay from the single player trailer?

Olx2lfLl.png

Well. Look in the back of this picture. Seems to be an arcade machine.
We might be able to play the above 2d game on that.

Wow nice catch! So many details. I love how coherent everything seems to be. The plaza is very TWEWY looking and the game has the same sense of fashion. Probably will be the best new IP of 2015.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm not hoping or looking for voice chat. Wii U has the best online MP for the very reason I can only communicate with people in a limited fashion.

My girl has yet to be harassed and I haven't heard a single racial comment all gen!

Jintor

To be fair, it can depend on the type of community a game draws as well. Playing exclusively on Australian public servers I never once heard any racist or sexist comments in TF2 in over 800 hours of play.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think Nintendo is too risk averse to go for voice chat

Especially considering that "gaming while black" topic and their whole experience with swapnote.

Still, would be a pleasant surprise
People are dicks, that is the reason game chat is/ will be restricted to the lobby with friends only if they decide to implement it in Splatoon just like MK8.

I always mute people, but I don't like that the choice is being taken away from others,
Can you only talk to people on your friendslist in Mario Kart 8 and in Smash Bros?

That's why cross game chat is a good alternative. What's so difficult about it?

XBOX360 = 512MB of RAM (32MB allocated for the OS)
Wii U = 2048MB of RAM (1024MB allocated for the OS)
I guess it depends on how the OS is built and how much of that RAM that is available. It sounds like it should be possible at least.

I agree, even Metroid Prime Hunter on DS had it.
Yeah, i hope that they dont drop it in Splatoon. That would surprise me at least.

SmithnCo

I'm not hoping or looking for voice chat. Wii U has the best online MP for the very reason I can only communicate with people in a limited fashion.

My girl has yet to be harassed and I haven't heard a single racial comment all gen!

I'm sure it will only be limited to friends or in a lobby like MK8 or Smash.

Though it would be useful for in-game due to it being a team game and coordination may be needed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweets, this time about the horseshoe crab and the weapon shop:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/557107944571944960

彼はブキ屋「カンブリアームズ」の店主、カブトガニの「ブキチ」。
ブキをこよなく愛する生粋のミリタリーマニアらしい。ブキ好きが高じて、毎日夜遅くまで細かい部品をいじくっていた結果、極度の近眼になってしまったそうだ。何事もほどほどに……。

B7s-uN1CUAApf_r.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/557107681068990464

ここはバトルで使用するブキを取り扱う、ブキ屋「カンブリアームズ」。

クドいくらい丁寧な接客で評判だが、その客に釣り合わないブキは売ってくれないらしい。
バトルを繰り返し、店主のおメガネにかなうだけの経験を身につける必要があるそうだ。

B7s-e4ECcAAjrfX.jpg:orig

Holy shit, I had no idea that gallons were actually what's used in the JPN version. I just assumed that it was a L -> Gallons conversion for weird localization purposes.

I still don't quite 'get' the design of the weapon shop guy. I mean, I understand that it should be a nerdy military soldier, but... why on earth is his hat floating? :S

9i6L9pZl.jpg

Remember this retro 2d gameplay from the single player trailer?

Olx2lfLl.png

Well. Look in the back of this picture. Seems to be an arcade machine.
We might be able to play the above 2d game on that.

That would be awesome.

I wonder if this game will ever be able to dethrone WarHawk as the best online-small-soldiers game ever. I see similarities but the general scope looks smaller here (no flying, smaller maps, no vehicles). This is not saying it can't be as much or even more fun.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still don't quite 'get' the design of the weapon shop guy. I mean, I understand that it should be a nerdy military soldier, but... why on earth is his hat floating? :S

He is supposed to be a horseshoe crab changed into a human form. So it's not just a regular military helmet.

My translations:

This is "Bukichi", the horseshoe crab who runs the weapon shop 'Camboulit Arms'. He passionately loves his weapons; a genuine military fanatic. As a result of staying up late every night messing around with the small parts, he has developed extreme short-sightedness. That's why you should do things in moderation....

This is 'Camboulit Arms' which deal in weapons you can use in battle.

Although known for being polite to the point of being long-winded, it seems they don't sell weapons to players that would put them out of balance.
You'll need fight lots of battles to get experience in order to gain favor with the shopkeeper so he will sell more weapons to you.

My translations:

Thanks StreetsAhead.

Wow. I'm actually very surprised that the leveling system is tied to weapon unlocks. They are actually approaching this with modern shooters in mind. It would blow my mind if there was an equivalent to prestiging in this game.

I had a nightmare yesterday among others where I was trying to get into a They Might Be Giants concert where they were playing songs from Splatoon (they where doing the soundtrack). An old Professor was responsible for who got in and I couldn't get in. Weird.

mclem

king of the hill

You don't have to do that the conventional way, either. How about "The hill is controlled by whoever has more than 50% of the ink on it"?

As a result of staying up late every night messing around with the small parts, he has developed extreme short-sightedness. That's why you should do things in moderation....
Ah, the innuendo!

Clefargle

My translations:

Thanks StreetsAhead, keep being extra cool

I had a nightmare yesterday among others where I was trying to get into a They Might Be Giants concert where they were playing songs from Splatoon (they where doing the soundtrack). An old Professor was responsible for who got in and I couldn't get in. Weird.

That soundtrack would be kind of incredible, give me something like "particle man" or "am I awake?" Without lyrics and I'm down.

thefro

Thanks StreetsAhead.

Wow. I'm actually very surprised that the leveling system is tied to weapon unlocks. They are actually approaching this with modern shooters in mind. It would blow my mind if there was an equivalent to prestiging in this game.

I'd guess there will be. They mentioned in this interview at E3 that they have a lot of FPS fans on the team.

For example, when I asked Nogami and Sakaguchi about other shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, Nogami said, "We definitely play those types of games," adding "There's definitely guys on our staff who are super into shooters. We definitely play other games and other company's hardware. We do that as part of our jobs and we also do that because we're gamers and love to play games."

COD also is fairly popular in Japan for a console game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just hope the netcode will be up to snuff. This is Nintendo's first 4v4 "competitive shooter" type of game.

OryoN

I just hope the netcode will be up to snuff. This is Nintendo's first 4v4 "competitive shooter" type of game.

Seeing what they were able to pull off in Smash - as fighting games are much more of a technical challenge to run smoothly online - Splatoon should be a piece of cake, *as long as* similar care is taken.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
do we know something about the single player, apart from being it in the game, and being structure "against" the evil guys? I've seen some footage with platforming action, but nothing additional to that trailer

TheMoon

Seeing what they were able to pull off in Smash - as fighting games are much more of a technical challenge to run smoothly online - Splatoon should be a piece of cake, *as long as* similar care is taken.

"they" being Bandai Namco, not EAD.

TheMoon

But EAD made the netcode for that 12-player racing game released in May, whatever it was called. And I'd be surprise if Nintendo wasn't part of the QA for the netcode even for Smash.

Look at the credits^^ ... "special thanks: Bandai Namco" ;)

Of course we don't know what they did, though.

jariw

Look at the credits^^ ... "special thanks: Bandai Namco" ;)

Of course we don't know what they did, though.

You're absolutely right! FWIW, Bandai Namco also develops the Mario Kart arcade games, such as the Mario Kart Arcade GP DX.

I bet they release this right at the end of May like they did with Mario Kart. *shakes fist*

Yes, I think MK8 released the same "big" release week as Watch Dogs last year, IIRC? Last weekend of May, about 10 days before E3 sounds like the time they might aim for with this year's Splatoon release as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom