• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys seen this?
2ZMrqAGl.png

Seems that Japanese Splatoon event is getting a nicovideo stream.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv206922276
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv206922246

Google translation:
Be held at Makuhari Messe in January 31 (Saturday) - February 1 (Sun) "fighting conference 2015"
Admission ticket is available in each play guide!

2015 spring will be released, Wii U dedicated software "Splatoon (Splatoon)"
I will deliver a state of the domestic first playable exhibitors.

Mystery of squid appeared to be transformed into a form of human! Divided into four pairs 4 team,
Stay in position to each other coating the ink on the ground and fight "Nawabaribatoru".

In addition, reproduced the world of Splatoon to 闘会 Legislative Assembly Building "Real Splatoon" is also implemented!
We will deliver the state to fill a venue to use the genuine ink.

OryoN

"they" being Bandai Namco, not EAD.

oh, Namco is handling the netcode? sweet

Come on guys, you know what I'm saying. Regardless of who eventually handles the Netcode, *as long as* Nintendo ensures enough care is taken - as they have done with Smash and Mario Kart - then there's not much to worry about. Whether it's assembling the right in-house members, hiring new top-talent, or contracting expert external teams, it's all comes down to just how much resources Nintendo is willing to allocate to see this aspect of the game done right.

They've been really nailing the performance of and polish of their recent games(to a degree that's pretty impressive, even with their reputed track record), and I'm sure they know that if they intend to breathe some new life into the shooter genre, they cannot afford to botch the online portion - performance wise - of Splatoon. I guess we'll find out soon though.

Vena

Pretty sure it's heavy speculation based on D1 hinting at Nintendo having some sort of "surprise" at Apex.

Yes. D1, much to GIMR's dismay, talked about "you know what's playable at APEX?". GIMR's reply was to simply facepalm.

APEX is a FGC community so Splatoon is a bit of an oddity but, at the same time, the majority of the people there are Nintendo fans/system owners, its a title for competitive play, and it makes APEX into a "kind of a big deal" because they and their attendees are getting a playable version of a high profile EAD title that isn't limited by press-only events or things in Europe. (There is some odd chance its Pokken Fighters as well, as that has a better fit but... doesn't feel as big of a deal as Splatoon.)

That's a ton of free advertising and positive publicity for APEX and Smash.

Nintendo has shown that when they actually give a fuck they can get some pretty damn good netcode into their games.

This is a game where they clearly give a fuck about the online so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Yes. D1, much to GIMR's dismay, talked about "you know what's playable at APEX?". GIMR's reply was to simply facepalm.

APEX is a FGC community so Splatoon is a bit of an oddity but, at the same time, the majority of the people there are Nintendo fans/system owners, its a title for competitive play, and it makes APEX into a "kind of a big deal" because they and their attendees are getting a playable version of a high profile EAD title that isn't limited by press-only events or things in Europe. (There is some odd chance its Pokken Fighters as well, as that has a better fit but... doesn't feel as big of a deal as Splatoon.)

That's a ton of free advertising and positive publicity for APEX and Smash.
Actually Apex isn't really that much of a FGC thing. It's a Smash event that features other competitive games. Mostly fighting games, but Pokemon also.

Vena

Actually Apex isn't really that much of a FGC thing. It's a Smash event that features other competitive games. Mostly fighting games, but Pokemon also.

Oh, that's right there is Pokemon. I keep forgetting it is there, lol. Ya with that in mind, Splatoon isn't unlikely at all. I highly doubt Pokken is anywhere near playable at the moment as well.

DaBoss

I doubt Namco was involved with MK8's online. Previous MK games were done in-house and MK8's basic online features seem similar to that of MK7.

And then there is the fact that MK8's netcode seems to be a downgrade compared to MK7's lol.

TheMoon

Oh, that's right there is Pokemon. I keep forgetting it is there, lol. Ya with that in mind, Splatoon isn't unlikely at all. I highly doubt Pokken is anywhere near playable at the moment as well.

Plus it's an arcade game announced for Japan only at the moment. Whereas Splatoon is launching this Spring globally. Pokkén makes no sense, really.

Vena

Pokken seems more like something for Next years Apex

Nintendo going to turn APEX into its own mini-competitive community event? Imagine if this year it was Splatoon, then next year media outlets will be sending people too try and get peaks at demos and hands-on, which brings even more exposure to APEX/Smash + free marketing for Nintendo.

I'm very interested in modes because of how the maps are designed. They are currently designed for the main turf war mechanic. I'm not sure how well that translates to standard multiplayer modes (except for Capture the flag).

They could eeasily do deathmatch modes but would that be fun on the maps designed for Turf War? I'm hoping for another distinct gameplay type as well as a Turf War variation.

I just hope the netcode will be up to snuff. This is Nintendo's first 4v4 "competitive shooter" type of game.

Smash is a bad comparison as that's a fighting game which requires a lot more precise timing and collision detection.

A racer like Mario Kart or a shooter like this is easier to handle online than a fighting game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweets:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/557447953451712512

バトルで使う「ブキ」は、メイン・サブ・スペシャルの3つのウェポンが1つのセットになっている。
組み合わせは予め決まっていて、どのセットを使うかでプレイスタイルも変わるそうだ。
いろいろ試して、自分好みのセットを見つけるといいだろう。

B7xz9XnCQAILnsr.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/557462054924070912

調査の続報だ。
サブウェポンには直接攻撃ができるものもあるが、相手の進路を妨害したり、味方を援護したりと、補助的な性能のものもあるらしい。
メインウェポンに比べて多くのインクを消費するので、インクの残量には注意が必要だそうだ。

B7yAyLkCQAAkmkW.jpg:orig

My translations:
Weapons for battle come in sets of three comprised of the main weapon, sub weapon, and special weapon.
The combinations are pre-determined, so playing with different sets will alter your playstyle.
We recommend trying out many different sets to find one you like.

Continuation of our report.
There are sub weapons that can directly attack your opponents, but there are apparently also ones with auxiliary features like blocking your opponents' path or protecting your team-mates.
However, as the use more ink compared to the main weapon, you have to be conscious of how much you have left in your tank before using them.

NotLiquid

I'll say that if Splatoon did happen at Apex or some form of tournament it would be rather interesting. The meta game so far looks to be surprisingly deep with the various amounts of loadouts and character stats, plus the winning conditions tying in with its pretty innovative key mechanic.

I'll say that if Splatoon did happen at Apex or some form of tournament it would be rather interesting. The meta game so far looks to be surprisingly deep with the various amounts of loadouts and character stats, plus the winning conditions tying in with its pretty innovative key mechanic.

Well APEX is at the same period with the Japan game festival, so we'll get information on those days no matter what.

AdanVC

Hnnngghm the level of strategy in this game is shaping to be A+++ with those weapons. Competitions on GAF are going to be insanely fun! Thank you StreetsAhead for translating :D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thanks. Trinen described these are charged weapons. They probably take time and a lot of ink to activate.

Yeah, as I mentioned this mechanic was already present in the demo from last year. There was a gauge that it was filling as you painted around. I think you got the chance of using this special weapon once per session.

Really interested in what defensive ones there are.

We saw already one, this shower:

[
B7yAyLkCQAAkmkW.jpg:orig

Edit: actually I think this works both ways, protecting you and painting the environment around.

thefro

I'd bet that something like the Ink Missile will take longer to charge than the Bazooka we saw at E3.

Should be very interesting for competitive play since you'll want to time your charge weapons usage to make a big push at key times.

I do hope they'll include a decent server browser. Or at the very least a regional only option like MK8 (boggles my mind why Smash doesn't have this).

DizzyCrow

Probably a lot easier to balance, let's be honest.

And I like this, gives the game a bit of a class-based style.
squid fortress 2 confirmed

Exactly, some combinations would probably be OP so it forces you to adhere to certain a play style depending on your weapons set and coordinate with your team.

thefro

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

US site has translations up now of the 5 tweets over the past couple days. These two have some new info that wasn't in the Japanese tweets

B7yNqTdCQAASziF.jpg

Breaking news! One of our interns just texted over this new image of one of the special weapons. Apparently when this thing is ready to use, if you tap a location on the GamePad, you’ll launch a missile to that spot, creating a veritable swirling maelstrom of ink when it hits. Apparently it’s not super difficult to dodge, but we’re hearing that there’s no finer way to scatter opponents and drive them back.

B7yAyLkCQAAkmkW.jpg

New report! We’ve just received intel on a sub weapon that appears to be some sort of ink shield. Activating it apparently blocks enemy attacks and progress for a short time. This is a great example of how sub weapons can be used not only for attacking purposes, but for defense and team support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom