• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandangox

B73Nxd-IEAA91_-.jpg:large

new tweet. https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/557828181051576320

Man I am really liking the art style in this.

here's the real question: why's she got a human skull on her skirt

It would be amazing if in some mission they're on the beach and there are a bunch of shells.

An Inkling walks up to one shell and exclaims "I wonder what type of crab lived in this strange shell?"

It's a human skull.

TheMoon

Maybe that's not a human skull but the skull of a humanoid Inkling?

Splatoon has the deepest lore

Maybe it's Link's skull. Confirming the Link is dead theory about MM and connecting all universes. Nintendo Historia, in stores this October.

Obligatory GameXplain analysis post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U3OMeB8j_c

Man, this game's so full of amazing details. I just assumed the multiplayer tower was supposed to be like the Eiffel Tower.

I'm gonna die of hype...

Good video, even if it mostly put into condensed form stuff I (we) had already noticed. Although, I actually think the Tower is supposed to be the Tokyo Sky Tree, since I think it's called the Ikasu Tree in Japanese.

Nanashrew

Banned
アタマ・フク・クツの装備品をまとめて「ギア」と呼ぶ。ギアにはバトルの助けとなる能力がついているそうだ。例えばこれは「インク効率アップ(メイン)」。メインウェポンのインクの消費量を少し減らすことができる。能力には他にも種類があるようだ。

B8Bgy3kCEAE38xv.jpg:large

調査の続報だ。
ギアには最初から1つ能力がついているが、使い込めば、さらに能力が追加されるらしい。
どんなギアでも一線級の能力を持つ可能性を秘めているようだ。
スルメのように、噛めば噛むほど味が出るということか。

B8BhrEgCMAA6t8a.jpg:large

We got shoes today. Where you at Neiteio!

Sorry for double post, but new Tweets (with translations):

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/558552782198689792
The equitable items - headgear, clothing, and shoes - are collectively known as 'gear'. Gear have properties that will aide you in battles. For example, these shoes have the effect known as 'Ink Effectiveness Up (Main)'. It will lower the amount of ink your main weapon uses. There are many other types of effects to be found.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/558553749946245120
Continued.
Gear will have one property unlocked from the start, but you can unlock more by using the item repeatedly. Each item of gear has a chance of having a top-class skill. As they say, like dried squid, the more you chew, the tastier it gets!

Good video, even if it mostly put into condensed form stuff I (we) had already noticed. Although, I actually think the Tower is supposed to be the Tokyo Sky Tree, since I think it's called the Ikasu Tree in Japanese.

Perhaps, but it looks almost nothing like the Tokyo Sky Tree, at least by comparison to Tokyo Tower.

I can honestly say that this is the game I'm looking forward to the most so far this year - it's even topped Bloodborne for me. The concept is just so unique. I get that quirky JSRF/Sunset Overdrive feeling.

Blunoise

Unlock skills from gear. Ok this is sounded like destiny.....and I love Destiny!

Wouldn't it be nice if you can have a customized Apartment o_O

spiritfox

Clothes having different attributes is such a terrible idea :/

It depends if there are enough different variants to go around or would one skill or attribute dominate the game. Also, hopefully there are different styles with similar attributes, so you don't have to stick with, say, a snapback because it gives good stuff.

Maybe it's Link's skull. Confirming the Link is dead theory about MM and connecting all universes. Nintendo Historia, in stores this October.

So next Nintendo Console will feature the MMORPG Nintendo Universe where all timelines and all games come together in an epic showdown of the mortals...

thefro

I'm beginning to wonder if the clothing's attributes are inherent or random, though.

I would guess that at least the ?s you unlock are random.

My questions would be:
- Does everyone see the same styles of clothes in the shops each day?
- Do those clothes have the same top-line attributes globally each day?
- Will we see variants later with different top skills (same style and color but a different star level and visible attribute)?
- Do the item unlocks go away once you trade the item?
- Is there a way to reset a clothing item to default, so you can unlock different boosts instead of the ones you got the first time?
- Do item boosts stack between the hat/shirt/shoes? If you have ink efficiency on a pair of shoes and a shirt, does that give you an even higher level of ink efficiency?
- Can you have more than one of the same item boost on the same item of clothing?

This game is making me wish that Nintendo had a more cohesive account system. Hopefully it's not a pain to play with friends. REALLY hope the netcode is decent, though.

TheMoon

This game is making me wish that Nintendo had a more cohesive account system. Hopefully it's not a pain to play with friends. REALLY hope the netcode is decent, though.

The account system has absolutely nothing to do with online multiplayer.

Hop online, go into the mp lobby, invite friends to match, go. That's how it'll work because that's how it works everywhere.

DMiz

Splatoon has come a long way since I remember first hearing about it during the Treehouse Direct.

Back when the first showed, I was honestly pretty satisfied with what they were already trying to do: a good, new take on TPS gameplay, with the characteristic Nintendo charm that comes with its characters and world design.

The fact that it seems like Nintendo is taking a more aggressive approach in showing their games first before they're technically feature complete has done a lot to give us a glimpse into their development process. It really does seem like the team goes out of their way to expand the amount of content they have in their games before they're released, to give you that sense of a 'complete product'.

Thanks to everybody in this thread who's been translating the tweets for us - can't wait for this to finally drop!

cloudyboy

Neo Member
"As they say, like dried squid, the more you chew, the tastier it gets!'' they? do you mean that inkling like to eat dried squid? kind of weird to think about.

Personally I like the clothes systems, i wonder how it will turn out.

Village

This is dependent on if i can still wear other clothing while having the others effects.

Like If you give me a customizable character, let me do that. let me just keep the other ones effects since i have that item

Dr. Buni

I think it will add to the gameplay, I just hope there isn't one piece of clothing everyone ends up wearing or some of the cool stuff ends up being useless.
That is my fear.
No shit. 95% of the posts in this forum are opinions. The other 5% are news, etc.
I'm beginning to wonder if the clothing's attributes are inherent or random, though.
If they are random, at least that would mean everyone wouldn't look the same in "competitive" play.

thefro

NOA translation of the two tweets from today:

kFnUwuHl.jpg

Splatoon Tumblr said:
New report! We’ve learned that headgear, clothing, and shoes all have different attributes that benefit those who wear them into battle. For example,this item comes equipped with “Ink Saver (Main),” which cuts down on the ink needed to fire your main weapon. There are apparently a whole lot more perks like this!

484ZFM6l.jpg

Splatoon Tumblr said:
Here comes a follow-up to the previous report!
Each piece of gear comes with one perk, but can gain new ones the more it’s used. Each item also contains one top-class perk, just waiting to be unlocked! I guess practice really does make perfect!

I wonder if there's a way to upgrade a piece of clothing so that it gets more perk slots?

DaBoss

I wish they went with a perk system or something. I want to be able to wear a flat-billed cap and hoodie without worrying about its abilities.

It kinda makes me wish the abilities are random, but at the same time that would be be bad as well.

What does one have to do with the other? What online Wii U games from Nintendo make it hard to play with friends or have bad netcode? I'm seriously wondering if this perception actually comes from anything in particular

Honestly, what I imagine would be difficult is more setting up a team of yourself and 3 friends (for a four player team) (or 7 friends if you want to know your enemy team as well) due to time constraints. I imagine online will have lobbies and stuff and be organized to make it easy to know who you're joining and what type of equipment they have. Seems like the best way to keep teams balanced by letting players go onto teams and such based on what they think makes sense. After all, some main weapons look like they could be amazing with teamwork, but need support to work (Like the roller seems like it'll be the best at quickly spreading ink, but you'd really need support from ranged weapons to stop enemies from taking you out easily, and a team of 4 rollers probably would be slaughtered)

What does one have to do with the other? What online Wii U games from Nintendo make it hard to play with friends or have bad netcode? I'm seriously wondering if this perception actually comes from anything in particular

I'm just saying that I hope it's not bad. The perception doesn't come from anything, besides laggy Smash matches almost every time for me. Calm down.
I just wish that it were more like the Xbox or something. Much simpler to put your friends in your group and play.

Crayolan

That swagger.

Agreed, the loadout provides plenty of diversity in playstyle , clothing should be purely aesthetic.

I think it might be from Brawl. Nintendo fucked up bad ONCE and now the automatic assumption is that they'll fuck up every time after...despite having plenty of games with good online since then.

I'm just saying that I hope it's not bad. The perception doesn't come from anything, besides laggy Smash matches almost every time for me. Calm down.
I just wish that it were more like the Xbox or something. Much simpler to put your friends in your group and play.

You sure that's not your internet? I tried playing Smash Wii U at my college where my connection is dodgy and got the same results, but when I took my Wii U back home to a better connection it worked flawlessly even in 4 player For Fun.

I mean, I can play any game on my Xbone, PS4, and PC and have zero lag (besides MCC lol) and be fine. Maybe I'm just playing with people who are far away/have a crappy connection. Who knows. Maybe I just need to try again. Gave up for a while.

I wonder what our chances of getting Splatoon merch are. Kinda sucks that Club Nintendo is shutting down. Maybe the new thing they're doing will have physical stuff. I'd love to have some Splatoon posters or a shirt.

If they are random, at least that would mean everyone wouldn't look the same in "competitive" play.

Well, that depends on how many different play styles people adopt, too. If everyone wants the same perk and the perks are predetermined, then yeah, people might look the same. But if different gear helps different playstyles, then it might be more diverse.

The main potential problem is that people might not like the gear they have to wear to get the perk they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom