• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand I like Nintendo trying new characters, but on the other I find this art style and character design really cloying.

I really want to meet and applaud the character/art designers for this game. I'm in LOVE with their designs.

zvD3g.gif

I'm really digging the characters and art style, the whole game just looks like a whole mess of fun!

I'm gonna be very surprised if theres zero nods at Sunshine in this game

Hastati

zvD3g.gif

I'm really digging the characters and art style, the whole game just looks like a whole mess of fun!

I'm gonna be very surprised if theres zero nods at Sunshine in this game

I laughed at the timing of that XD

But I can definitely understand people not liking the art style or seeing it as cloying. It just works for me. Maybe because I always think of Ika musume, or because I like the raccoon eyes. I don't know.

I'm also REALLY impressed with the graphics so far (or rather, how they've realized the art style in-engine), gotta try it in person.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweet:

イカ研究所の調査報告だ。
この社会では「イカしてる」かどうかが評価の基準となっている。
イカしてないヤツは、ショップの店員から客として相手にされないらしい。
着飾るより先に、バトルで経験を積んで自分を磨いてこいということだ。

B8bVJOmCYAAQXRR.jpg:orig

And another one:

調査の続報だ。
バトルに参加して経験を積むとランクが上がる。このランクが「イカしてる」かどうかの指標となるそうだ。
最初のブキを買うにはランク2、ギアショップの店員に認められるにはちょっとイカしたランク4が必要なようだ。

B8bVhsACYAAGrdz.jpg:orig

New tweet:

And another one:

Report from the Squid Research Labs.
In the Inkling society, whether or not you are 'cool' is the basis of your evaluation.
Uncool Inklings will not be served by the shop keepers.
So, before you think of grabbing some sweet gear to wear, you better grab some battle experience.

Echizen: Woah, you are very uncool. You're so uncool that I can't hide my surprise at your uncoolness. Go get cool and then come back.

Report continues.
Participating in battles and gaining experience will raise your rank. This rank lets others know if you are 'cool' or not.
To be able to buy your first weapon you'll need to be Rank 2 and to be accepted by the owners of the other stores you'll need to be an even cooler Rank 4.

Anemo: Ah, I guess you've gotten a little cooler. I'll look out for some gear that'll suit your style from now on, I guess.
Kumano: Nah, he's still a dork!

Note: The word they use for cool is a pun with the word for squid in the Japanese (イカす/イカ). I did consider translating it as 'squid-ish' as a play on 'stylish' but thought better of it.

Why did they have to use the dark skinned squid for these images? Huh?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Note: The word they use for cool is a pun with the word for squid in the Japanese (イカす/イカ). I did consider translating it as 'squid-ish' as a play on 'stylish' but thought better of it.

Maybe because he looks cool, and the message is that it is not enough and you have to earn your coolness?

And "squid-ish" sounds quite good in my opinion.

Maybe because he looks cool, and the message is that it is not enough and you have to earn your coolness?

And "squid-ish" sounds quite good in my opinion.

It was a joke, because they're not serving him and he's dark skinned. You know, like discrimination.

I'll let my self out.

I guess they can't really use Tenta-cool?

Azure J

We "The World Ends With You" now with those shopkeepers kicking uncool folks out. :lol

thefro

The big thing I get from this update is there's likely at least 50 or so levels.

I would assume you go from Level 1 --> Level 2 after playing 1 match.

Exile20

The big thing I get from this update is there's likely at least 50 or so levels.

I would assume you go from Level 1 --> Level 2 after playing 1 match.

Interesting. So at Apex it is just the e3 demo? Hope there is going to be a small tournament. Would be nice for this game to become competitive.

lol

Doorman

So now instead of being told to "git gud," we're going to have to "git cul?"

I don't know if I would laugh, cry, or both if the coolness level in English was localized as "Swag."

TheMoon

So now instead of being told to "git gud," we're going to have to "git cul?"

I don't know if I would laugh, cry, or both if the coolness level in English was localized as "Swag."

I want them to go retro with it.

"fresh"
"rad"
"dope"
"phat"
"bangin'"

Flowmoney

New tweet:

And another one:

Why is the darkskin squid considered uncool? I am disappointed that something like this happened.They normally use the girl squid most of the time.They show example of dark skin male squid, when its "uncool".

I am not mad but it does seem odd with some hidden meaning that I must not be getting

Mesoian

Holy fuck. We really should splice the trailer with the cool kids song.

rhandino

Banned
Why is the darkskin squid considered uncool? I am disappointed that something like this happened.They normally use the girl squid most of the time.They show example of dark skin male squid, when its "uncool".

I am not mad but it does seem odd with some hidden meaning that I must not be getting
Really? When they introduced him (with his own artwork) they commented how fashion is important to them...

It appears to be a young, male squid dude equipped with some sort of high-tech ink roller. He’s wearing glasses and a striped shirt here, but word on the street is that there’s all sorts of different gear available for the squid to wear. Who would have guessed fashion would be so important to these crazy creatures!

Also they used him when they explained something about how other ink slow them. I kind of think is random since in other examples they used the white skinned boy inkling but they almost always used the girl since she is the "main" image of sorts...

Yonafunu

Are you serious?

Flowmoney

Really? When they introduced him (with his own artwork) they commented how fashion is important to them...

They did? I must have only saw the updates with the female squid mainly and missed that or I just forgot.

Though I was jokingly saying " why they treating the dark individual like that " .

I wasn't aiming to spark some debate that angers people.

Are you serious?

No I am not and I am sorry if you thought otherwise.

I want them to go retro with it.

"fresh"
"rad"
"dope"
"phat"
"bangin'"

Fresh seems applicable with all the squid-eating talk they throw in. You KNOW my Squid HAS to be lookin' fresh!

They could also go super-retro with classic surf slang like gnarly - tubular - groovy - watery sounding things or puns like looking Splashy (Flashy). I like Chill and Chilling (Krill maybe?) also.

Psxphile

Fresh seems applicable with all the squid-eating talk they throw in. You KNOW my Squid HAS to be lookin' fresh!

They could also go super-retro with classic surf slang like gnarly - tubular - groovy - watery sounding things or puns like looking Splashy (Flashy). I like Chill and Chilling (Krill maybe?) also.

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KRILLING?

thefro

Damn, still no translation online. Takes longer than usually now. :/

It seems to take longer when they have to make new English screenshots for the Tumblr account.

In this case, the dialogue in English for the shop owners may not be locked down yet, so the person translating the tweets may have to go over that with someone else from the Treehouse.

rhandino

Banned
They did? I must have only saw the updates with the female squid mainly and missed that or I just forgot.
Eh, I am not angry but is just so weird when those comments come out in this game, from the top of my head:

1) There are no varied races of Inklings (From the demo at E3)

2) The crab shopper is insensitive and racist caricature.

3) They are going to put a weird scheme and put the male inkling in the cover of the game.

It;s... i really don't know why people overreact like that =/

Edit: To clarify I am from Honduras and don't have light skin so to speak so maybe I don't have the context in which some jokes are made =/

see this is why we can't have nice things

I get upset when Japanese Nintendo forgets to add my brown skin in Animal Crossing New Leaf causing me to spend hours on the island just tanning which take at least 10 hours of an open 3DS to do

Splatoon gives me what I want and you guys make jokes about it that raises the issue to a new level

if the dark skin was not there the joke would have not happened but then I would feel Nintendo is forgetting about me and other black people

so stop now guy lol
seriously, STOP :(

Tweet

調査員から、もう一度操作方法を説明して欲しいと依頼された。
明日から行われる「闘会議 2015」のためだそうだ。
体験では3分間の4対4対戦を2回行うが、最初に1分間、操作に慣れるためのウォーミングアップがあるので心配は無用だそうだ。

B8k4CyQCEAADwMz.jpg

Tweet

操作説明と一緒に、闘会議で体験するステージのマップも紹介しておこう。
右上と左下から両チームが攻め上がるステージで、中央の広場での激戦が予想される。
広場への入り口をイカに抑えるかが、勝負のカギとなりそうだ。

B8k4WT6CEAAUXuU.jpg

There's 2 new tweets, but it's basically going through the basics of the controls for the first Japanese public demos over the weekend.

Basically also confirms that (as expected) it's the same as last year's E3 demo.

There's 2 new tweets, but it's basically going through the basics of the controls for the first Japanese public demos over the weekend.

Basically also confirms that (as expected) it's the same as last year's E3 demo.

still worth a watch on niconico later tonight for me but good to know

glad they are not wasting time making new demoes I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom