• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think season 14 comes out on DVD next week and I remember when I used to look forward to the earlier season releases and I'm not sure if I care anymore.

red_hot_chili_peppers_lurb.jpg

Krusty the Clown: Now, boys, the network has a problem with some of your lyrics. Do you mind changing them for the show?
Anthony Kiedis: Forget you, clown.
Chad Smith: Yeah, our lyrics are like our children, man. No way.
Krusty the Clown: Well, okay, but here where it says, "What I got you gotta get and put it in ya," how about just, "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss ya."
Flea: Wow. That's much better.
Arik Marshall: Everyone can enjoy that.

I've been scorched by Krusty before. I got a rapid heartbeat from his
Krusty brand vitamins, my Krusty Kalculator didn't have a seven or an
eight, and Krusty's autobiography was self-serving with many glaring
omissions. But this time, he's gone too far!

Speevy

Banned
It (like every other scene) has probably been posted multiple times, but does anyone have a GIF of Moe (I think) dipping that huge steak dinner into a deep frier, then it comes out looking like nachos?

PokéKong

tumblr_lpv3w3Dwc51qlepxzo1_500.png

Gotta love how old Simpsons just keeps getting better as you get older. I just now saw Naked Lunch for the first time, then came across this joke again.

What the hell I haven't watched a single Simpsons episode in like... 2 months?! Maybe it's a good thing, I have watched Simpsons daily for like 10 years anyway.

Mael

PetriP-TNT said:
What the hell I haven't watched a single Simpsons episode in like... 2 months?! Maybe it's a good thing, I have watched Simpsons daily for like 10 years anyway.
You're in luck I don't know how to avatar quote

PetriP-TNT said:

289778200677154dca69e841d55fd.png

Good thing I do know how to avatar quote!

Mael

LyleLanley said:
http://uppix.net/b/0/1/289778200677154dca69e841d55fd.png[/ IMG]

Good thing I do know how to avatar quote![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc507/LyleLanley/2ajt3rc.gif
Last time I tried it failed so...

edit : GODDAMNIT

re edit :
image.php

raaaaaaah
I definitely can't

Murkas

So I watched an episode from one of the later seasons for the first time in a good year or so, the one where Homer and Marge go on vacation and Bart and Lisa chase them around the world or something.

For a good few minutes it changed into some weird "8bit" graphics of them chasing and running with a musical score and I was there like "what the fuck" 4 minutes with nothing at all happening...

Maybe it was referencing some film or show that I haven't seen, all I know is that it was not funny and horrible. Made me appreciate my S5-8 box sets all the more.

P.S. Quick way of making GIFs from said box sets? I wanna contribute to this thread again.

Cohsae

Murkas said:
So I watched an episode from one of the later seasons for the first time in a good year or so, the one where Homer and Marge go on vacation and Bart and Lisa chase them around the world or something.

For a good few minutes it changed into some weird "8bit" graphics of them chasing and running with a musical score and I was there like "what the fuck" 4 minutes with nothing at all happening...

Maybe it was referencing some film or show that I haven't seen, all I know is that it was not funny and horrible. Made me appreciate my S5-8 box sets all the more.

P.S. Quick way of making GIFs from said box sets? I wanna contribute to this thread again.
I think I know which part you're talking about, IIRC it's from Catch Me if You Can (that movie where Leo DiCaprio is a conman).

Jasoco

Banned
Murkas said:

You suck. That movie is great and the reference is awesome. Watch more movies please.

Murkas said:

Huh, this is one of those few scenes in newer episodes that I actually like and have stuck with me.

Jasoco

Banned
Goes to prove that unrecognized references are terrible when you don't get them.

Except in my case where it actually makes me want to see what the reference was for.

Murkas

Well that's just me, But I'm sure we can say that older Simpsons use to make references that were funny to the people who didn't get them and hilarious to the people who did. I don't believe this is the case now.

Jasoco said:
Goes to prove that unrecognized references are terrible when you don't get them.

Except in my case where it actually makes me want to see what the reference was for.
Or maybe references stink when knowing it is a requirement for the joke to be funny?

Milhouse being chased off of the dam. Absolutely hilarious without having seen The Fugitive, and even more hilarious after you've seen it.

Hell, my avatar is a perfect example. Even if you haven't seen Terminator 2, the entire premise of a dancing robotic Richard Simmons that regenerates and has it's ass blow up is hysterical.

Jasoco

Banned
I call it the "Family Guy Syndome". When they came along they made it okay to reference stuff even people in their 50's might not even remember as well as stuff no one at all would remember except a few.

But "Catch Me if You Can" was a great movie. One of Tom Hanks' best and the role that broke Leo DeCaprio from his chick flick typecasting. It's not wrong to parody something popular that recently came out.

Jasoco said:
But "Catch Me if You Can" was a great movie. One of Tom Hanks' best and the role that broke Leo DeCaprio from his chick flick typecasting. It's not wrong to parody something popular that recently came out.
Nope, it's not wrong at all. Old Simpsons is huge on the topical references.

I haven't seen the episode or the movie in question but from the description that the original poster brought up, it sounds like they just took a scene from a movie and injected Simpson's characters in there. Is that enough for the joke to be funny? Is it just hoping to get a few chuckles out of people that recognize the scene? Is it really worth 4 minutes of screen time? Just sounds like the same lazy crap writing I've come to expect from new Simpsons.

Barrow Roll said:
Nope, it's not wrong at all. Old Simpsons is huge on the topical references.

I haven't seen the episode or the movie in question but from the description that the original poster brought up, it sounds like they just took a scene from a movie and injected Simpson's characters in there. Is that enough for the joke to be funny? Is it just hoping to get a few chuckles out of people that recognize the scene? Is it really worth 4 minutes of screen time? Just sounds like the same lazy crap writing I've come to expect from new Simpsons.
If it's the same episode I'm thinking about, the family is trying to chase Bart because they believe he's traveling all over the world and they have a tracking device on him, but it's actually a bird that he stuck the device onto.

Professor Beef said:
If it's the same episode I'm thinking about, the family is trying to chase Bart because they believe he's traveling all over the world and they have a tracking device on him, but it's actually a bird that he stuck the device onto.

Actually, Homer and Marge are trying to go on a vacation without the kids, but Bart and Lisa won't let them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom