• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inukage

Just customized my 3DS XL,
RQDTD.jpg

Trunx28

thought that the 3DS sucks, back in the days. Bought a Vita and sold it soon after (EU PSN is a pile of horses***). Saw the XL at my friends house and fell in love with it: Such an impressive display! And finally no more struggle with the 3D - I had massive problems on the smaller display with it.

Got the XL with Zelda and Mario 3D Land. Both great, but now I bought Ridge Racer - bad mistake, can't put it down. Graphics are really grainy, blown up as they are, but the 3D makes it so much better, even at 30fps. I loved the PSP-Versions, never played it with the slider. The one on the 3DS is so much better, though.

Wow, I cannot disagree more here, haha, that's like my favorite part of the new one, I can actually hold it now without cramping up or with it's knife edges digging into my palms.

Really uncomfortable handheld, for my personal tastes. The Xl really eliminates that for me.

I find the 3DS XL so much more comfortable. I agree with you.

The OG3DS (even with the Powergrip attached) would still kill my hands. The biggest offender: MarioKart 7. The game would leave my knuckles wrenching in pain (especially my right hand), almost locked up, from constant r button dash mechanics.

Celegus

Finally gonna pick up my 3DS XL tonight! Hopefully I can get Best Buy to price match the Kmart deal, since I also ordered Kid Icarus for $15 to pick up in-store. Really looking forward to trying it out, never played a 3DS before!

Finally gonna pick up my 3DS XL tonight! Hopefully I can get Best Buy to price match the Kmart deal, since I also ordered Kid Icarus for $15 to pick up in-store. Really looking forward to trying it out, never played a 3DS before!

Such a fantastic system! Even more so, especially now that the XL carries the platform to a higher standard.
The systems different than Vita and smart devices, but it's wholly unique and really has a Nintendo identity. It feels like a portable Wii - pretty awesome.

^_^

Enjoy Kid Icarus, it's really, really great

Odrion

Banned
Bought a 3DS at K-Mart. the coupon only works for next week. Bummer.

So I got Kid Icarus at Best Buy.

Blown up on the XL, doesn't look so good!

I didn't know a system redesign could make me this jealous. I saw a XL for the first time yesterday... so nice

It cuts extra deep because I bought my 3DS two days before the XL was announced. E3 came and went and I figured it was safe to pick up a 3DS and then two days later the XL was announced at a Nintendo Direct. In the end I decided the keep my 3DS since I liked it and figured the XL wouldn't seem that different. I was wrong :(

Keeping my normal 3DS for now, but one day I'll upgrade!

jdforge

Banned
I've been playing Revlations all weekend. I've not had this much fun with a Resident Evil game since ReMake on GameCube. It's flipping ace!

It's actually scary too. They've done a great job using sounds to elicite a sense of fear and dread. Some lovely touches. Thanks Capcom, more of the same please!

RPGCrazied

Anyone else having a hard time with the camera in doors? Its like you have to be outside to even use the thing. I'm guessing cause of no flash? I guess my dark room isn't helping. Even with the blinds up and curtains open still sucks. lol

You, my friend, need a Chopper Purse.
As a chopper purse owner myself I echo this statement.

Anyone else having a hard time with the camera in doors? Its like you have to be outside to even use the thing. I'm guessing cause of no flash? I guess my dark room isn't helping. Even with the blinds up and curtains open still sucks. lol
You can set it to low light and it will help a bit but yeah the quality is not all that great.

Kiryu

So many people want Majora Mask game, and it looks very high likely to have good sales if Majora Mask 3D is ever released

neoism

So many people want Majora Mask game, and it looks very high likely to have good sales if Majora Mask 3D is ever released

I reallllly want it I've never beat it yet... I have the n64 version and had a wii Vc code I gave away.... I want to experience the whole game for the first time on 3ds.. I got to the second dungeon twice but always quit after that... I looove OOT on 3ds.

braves01

Banned
Sounds pretty good.
Better ergonomics make it a must-have if true. I'd be able to make a easier choice if I could find a demo unit or someone with one. :/

How's the build-quality by the way? My Aqua Blue squeaks like a mouse when I press a button, the touchscreen, or certain areas on the lower half.

Build-quality, in the sense you're using it, is also much improved. With my og, the shoulder buttons in particular felt pretty cheap and squeaked all the time, so I was pretty sure they'd be the first part of the unit to fail. My d-pad too to a certain degree. My XL, by comparison is not squeaky, all buttons (shoulder buttons in particular) are improved, and the d-pad is fantastic as I said before.

You should definitely check one out yourself if you can though, since people tend to have wildly different standards for build quality.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Bought a XL yesterday. Been playing Zelda for 3 hours straight. Playing Master Quest for the first time for reals. Absolutely hate the mirrored world. It's just confusing me every single time. It's not more challenging, just confusing. Not something you want to experience.

But aside from the confusion: the game is amazing. Master Quest features some questionable dungeon rooms though. Sometimes it feels like they just put stuff together to make thing difficult though.

Alchemy

Bought a XL yesterday. Been playing Zelda for 3 hours straight. Playing Master Quest for the first time for reals. Absolutely hate the mirrored world. It's just confusing me every single time. It's not more challenging, just confusing. Not something you want to experience.

But aside from the confusion: the game is amazing. Master Quest features some questionable dungeon rooms though. Sometimes it feels like they just put stuff together to make thing difficult though.

That is pretty much the entire point of Master Quest.

kunonabi

Better than standard OoT where the dungeons are purely designed to waste time. MQ dungeons at least require effort to complete.

Owzers

Returned 3ds XL with the sharp bottom edge to kmart, sent Revelations back to gamefly after 3.5 hours of playtime, debating if i want to get another 3ds XL since KMART is offering the $40 credit that will hopefully have proper edges.

I'm surprised i didn't really like Revelations considering i bought the system to play it, probably a combo of the screen being washed out for such a dark game, getting used to holding a 3ds XL that requires use of the top buttons, and it sometimes small and disjointed. I did order Kid Icarus today from Best Buy's daily sale, so i have motivation to rebuy the system.

Those "Chopper purses" are only $5 at 5 Below, if you have that chain in your area. I got my daughter a blue one and she really likes it.

Pikma

Banned
Fellow Gaffers, are your XL Top screen a little bit loose? like if you make a sudden movement, the top screen shakes a little bit? My OG suffers from the same thing, but I think it's more noticeable on the XL since it's a little bit heavier.

Also, if I bought it from a GameStop while outside my city, can I return it on another GS, or do I need to go to that specific store?

braves01

Banned
Fellow Gaffers, are your XL Top screen a little bit loose? like if you make a sudden movement, the top screen shakes a little bit? My OG suffers from the same thing, but I think it's more noticeable on the XL since it's a little bit heavier.

Also, if I bought it from a GameStop while outside my city, can I return it on another GS, or do I need to go to that specific store?

That's by design to prevent the hinge cracking. It shouldn't wiggle much when you're playing though unless you shake it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any recommendations for XL cases?

If you're fine with a larger size, I'd recommend the Power A DSi XL Ultimate Travel Case:

9747068cv1a.jpg

Fits the 3DS XL and eight games, plus has a large pocket for more games and/or the AC.

So I want to play through the entire Rayman series in preparation for Rayman Legends for Wii U.

But I don't want to get Rayman Origins for consoles since I do not play those anymore, and I can get the 3DS version for $8.

I know it's the inferior version, but I really want a handheld version (and am not getting a Vita just for Rayman), so framerate aside, is there anything else wrong with it?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So I want to play through the entire Rayman series in preparation for Rayman Legends for Wii U.

But I don't want to get Rayman Origins for consoles since I do not play those anymore, and I can get the 3DS version for $8.

I know it's the inferior version, but I really want a handheld version (and am not getting a Vita just for Rayman), so framerate aside, is there anything else wrong with it?

Other than the fact that it hasn't been released yet? You're probably seeing Rayman 3D.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was only delayed to November in NA?

Celegus

Got my XL last night (and my wife one too)! The 3D effect can be a little disorienting; you seem to really have to pay attention to keep the screen straight-on or it'll get all blurry. Seems like an awesome system though once I get used to it!

The only game I have so far is Kid Icarus, which is pretty funky to control. It kept slipping out of my left hand, so I'll try the stand tonight and that should help. Very pretty though and the 3D effect is very nice while you're flying through the air.

jarosh

If you're fine with a larger size, I'd recommend the Power A DSi XL Ultimate Travel Case:

9747068cv1a.jpg

Fits the 3DS XL and eight games, plus has a large pocket for more games and/or the AC.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I'd prefer something a little nicer looking, maybe less bulky. All that extra storage isn't really absolutely necessary for me either.

For pocket protection, I just use the pouch from Club Nintendo.

For traveling, I modified my Intec PSP case to fit my 3DS.

583a0914fdb308ec4d8ee776ae79.jpg

I fucking love this thing, and I feel badass carrying it. Not a good idea for airports though, hahaha. I brought this once before and I was held back by security because they said the thing looked "eerily like a suitcase bomb."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom