• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Carbonox

I feel like I need to play a specific game before Rising comes out but I can't put my finger on it. Do I play through Metal Gear Solid 2 HD? My mind is full of Raiden hype from Rising.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Peace Walker and MGS4 are the two worst Metal Gears, so beating them isn't hard. HD Collection is another matter.

V_Arnold

That GamesTm quote is almost a joke. It could have been worded "it MIGHT be the best Platinum-made Metal Gear hack'n'slash this month"...

Bayonetta's too fresh in my mind from when I Platinum'd it but it has been a long time since I played through Vanquish.

You should play through Vanquish again! I felt that I was able to appreciate it more and more each time I played through it.

It seems that MGR will be the closest thing to a Vanquish sequel we will get, and I'm okay with that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BC-x1U3CEAAOAci.jpg:large

I feel like I need to play a specific game before Rising comes out but I can't put my finger on it. Do I play through Metal Gear Solid 2 HD? My mind is full of Raiden hype from Rising.
Ninja Gaiden Black (or 2), Bayonetta or Vanquish would be the most suitable games I'd imagine.

Edit: Just noticed above you've eliminated Bayonetta and, since you've played it on the PS3 (it seems) I imagine that eliminates Ninja Gaiden. If that's the case then Vanquish is probably the best thing to replay in anticipation for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That matrix move is so FUCKING AWESOME!

:D

Holy shit, Raiden gets a suit?

Maybe I'll be Metal 007 Raiden instead of Metal Grey Fox: Revengence. Who knows.

Peace Walker and MGS4 are the two worst Metal Gears, so beating them isn't hard. HD Collection is another matter.

Peace Walker in story and non-co-op, maybe... but the gameplay itself is fine for a PSP title. Only issue I had was Kojima pulling a Monster Hunter and putting in same missions but "MORE HP/YOU TAKE MORE DAMAGE LOLZ" to make it more co-op.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Peace Walker in story and non-co-op, maybe... but the gameplay itself is fine for a PSP title.

I disagree, so much so that I feel it's the most alarmingly disconnected Metal Gear KojiPro has probably ever made. I don't want to rant about it too much here, but I just feel it's totally devoid of a unique identity and the wonderful little quirks KojiPro fill their Metal Gear games with. Instead of feeling like a Metal Gear game build very meticulously around what the PSP hardware can and cannot do, it felt like they were too strictly abiding to the Metal Gear Solid 3/Metal Gear Solid 4 formula and were forced to downscale and strip the design of component just to make it work on the very limited hardware of the PSP. Plays like a poor man's MGS3: worse levels, worse encounters, weak sneaking, weak shooting, etc, with almost no really unique or individual qualities of its own. The Mother Base is the only really strong identity the game has (and maybe the Monster Hunter boss fights too), and that's not even part of the 'play'.

StuBurns

Banned
Almost certainly the best Metal Gear of the generation is such a small statement. Almost, so they're not even sure, and there's only MGS4 and Peace Walker to go up against.

Saying that, Bayonetta is certainly better than either game, as is Vanquish, so I'm pretty much expecting it to be the best Metal Gear of the generation.

EDIT: I think Peace Walker is fine, it's pure stealth missions were really fun, quite stressful, and rewarding.

rvy

Banned
Almost certainly the best Metal Gear of the generation is such a small statement. Almost, so they're not even sure, and there's only MGS4 and Peace Walker to go up against.

Saying that, Bayonetta is certainly better than either game, as is Vanquish, so I'm pretty much expecting it to be the best Metal Gear of the generation.

28773495.jpg

Carbonox

I disagree, so much so that I feel it's the most alarmingly disconnected Metal Gear KojiPro has probably ever made. I don't want to rant about it too much here, but I just feel it's totally devoid of a unique identity and the wonderful little quirks KojiPro fill their Metal Gear games with. Instead of feeling like a Metal Gear game build very meticulously around what the PSP hardware can and cannot do, it felt like they were too strictly abiding to the Metal Gear Solid 3/Metal Gear Solid 4 formula and were forced to downscale and strip the design of component just to make it work on the very limited hardware of the PSP. Plays like a poor man's MGS3: worse levels, worse encounters, weak sneaking, weak shooting, etc, with almost no really unique or individual qualities of its own. The Mother Base is the only really strong identity the game has (and maybe the Monster Hunter boss fights too), and that's not even part of the 'play'.

I agree with this, though my opinion of Peace Walker is more straight to the point - a pile of wank. Only good thing about the game is the soundtrack.

I adore Metal Gear Solid 4 though but as the Rising, Bayonetta, etc. genre is my specialty genre, I can see Rising being my favourite MGS title this gen.

I really enjoyed Peacd Walker and MGS4.

4 is still the most "epic" game, with (I believe) a good conclusion to Snake's tale (and I understand that 99.9% of people disagree with me).

Peace Walker has amazing gameplay, and an awful story. The gameplay is more than enough to win me over since there is so much. The only upsetting thing is ramping up the difficulty on the vehicles and AI battles to try to get people to co-op on them.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to Rising, and it is going to be a long wait until I get off work Tuesday and can go pick it up.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bayo sold okay, probably up to around closing in on 2 million these days with PSN release included. Not bad for a weird as hell new IP.

Bayonetta was also pretty much the only Platinum game with western TV ads, so will be interesting to see how Revengeance does with its fairly aggressive marketing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Bayo sold okay, probably up to around 2 million these days with PSN release included. Not bad for a weird as hell new IP.

Bayonetta was also pretty much the only Platinum game with western TV ads, so will be interesting to see how Revengeance does with its fairly aggressive marketing.

Don't worry the name "Metal Gear" alone sells.

.la1n

I can respect MG Rising for what it offers and I am not in the camp to dismiss it as canon but a traditional MGS it obviously is not so I can't really fairly compare it to the other MGS titles released this gen.

I thought Bayo sold like shit?

It may have "sold like shit" in comparison to other franchises like every other game of theirs, but it still is PlatinumGames' best seller and most popular title.

I just have a feeling that MGR will be Platinum's first huge financial success.

monome

It may have "sold like shit" in comparison to other franchises like every other game of theirs, but it still is PlatinumGames' best seller and most popular title.

Hummm...I would be stoked if PG gets any money aside from the dev money that was agreed upon when they contracted for KojiPro.
I hardly see Konami sharing the MG money with anybody.

Hummm...I would be stoked if PG gets any money aside from the dev money that was agreed upon when they contracted for KojiPro.
I hardly see Konami sharing the MG money with anybody.

Even if they don't, having their names on a Metal Gear game is guaranteed to get them some more attention.

I definitely agree (and I certainly hope so). The demo, the advertising and the "Metal Gear" name make me confident that it will be the best selling Platinum game and hopefully a large success. Of course, I could easily be eating those words in another two weeks but I really do hope it's (and believe it will be) a large success for them. If it is, I hope a re-release of Vanquish and Bayonetta (possibly a bundle) will be a possibility, emphasising that they're made by Platinum, so that there's a possibility for a Vanquish sequel.

Akainu

And then lose it with their next bomb when back on their own.

Bayonetta didn't sold like shit, it just did not sell as much as Sega thought it would be.
Edith: When was Platinum ever be on their own? They also seem to grow and in good shape.

Rising is not going to sell as much as you think.

it will do better than DmC but that's about it.

The wonderful 101 will be platinums breakout hit.

I don't know...DmC should do comparably well as it is an excellent game.
If MG:R does better than DmC it's only because of the MG name. On gameplay merits alone these games are fairly matched.

Carbonox

I don't know...DmC should do comparably well as it is an excellent game.
If MG:R does better than DmC it's only because of the MG name. On gameplay merits alone these games are fairly matched.

Couldn't agree less.

DmC is essentially a platformer with accessible but dumbed-down combat. Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable and decently-made action game but it's not matched with Rising.

Well, compared to DMC3/4 rising's combat is also *dumbed down*, it's all a matter of reference.

Rising looks to be a very methodical game, and has a seemingly slower pace for the combat (as it is always broken up with cutting events), but also has a lot of technicality. Bosses look much more interesting for rising anyway.

In DmC, the combat system is quite refined and having 5 weapons accessible to switch between definitely gives you a lot of depth as to what you can do. So I wouldn't quite call it dumbed down. The game does feel less technical than previous games, which makes it accessible to newcomers.

I realize I'm on the revengeance board - so there will be bias - but all I'm saying is that both these games are very comparable with the kind of action oriented gameplay they bring to the table. I think DMC fans who refuse to appreciate this new iteration because it doesn't follow in its predecessor's footsteps prefer to trash it rather than to be objective.

Having said all of that, I have pre-ordered rising for PS3 and will likely be taking a day off work to enjoy this gem.

cheers

Top Bottom