• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

Kerotan

I completed and platinumed Metal Gear (1987) and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (1990). Now I can finally call myself a real OG MGS fan.

Took about 12 hours for both games combined with a lot of help from a guide. The games are actually really good and have added Great added value to this collection for me when I didn't even know they'd be included.

Next up MGS1 and hopefully the plat.
E5vh40i.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm playing the very first NES / whatever game. Is there a way to stop these accursed guards from looking for me? I punched a guy in the back of the head and now the entire base is going insane and won't stop no matter how many doors I go through.

Sleepwalker

I had a $20 off promo yesterday at my local grocery store, they had one copy left so I grabbed it for PS5. Played a bit of MGS1 while the graphics don't look great the game holds up nicely, I actually never played the original MGS.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I have seen some say that the PS4 version of MGS1 doesn't have the blurry filter. You can get it off by just going to the menu during the game or something. It might be a glitch. Is it true?

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'm happy to be able to play MGS1 conveniently, the last time I played it was in 2020 on my laptop and I just can't stand the hassle of PC gaming.

But man, this is the worst version of the game I've ever played in terms of picture, and the fucking lack of 360 movement. Really pathetic.

MAX PAYMENT

I completed and platinumed Metal Gear (1987) and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (1990). Now I can finally call myself a real OG MGS fan.

Took about 12 hours for both games combined with a lot of help from a guide. The games are actually really good and have added Great added value to this collection for me when I didn't even know they'd be included.

Next up MGS1 and hopefully the plat.
E5vh40i.jpg
What guide did you use?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
btw xbox players are probably used to this but for the rest of us:

to hold up guards with automatic weapons in MGS2 and MGS3 you have to use L3 to bring your weapon up since theres no pressure sensitive buttons. If you press the fire button you will either fire or, if you are out of ammo, alert the guard who can hear that you’re empty.

VulcanRaven

Patch Ver.1.3.0

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version

• Added save functionality improvements (Steam®)
  • Updated the Online Manual (Steam®)
  • Fixed some other minor issues

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version​

• An issue where a "Damaged File" error is sometimes displayed when trying to load save data (Steam®)
  • Fixed an issue that caused the frame rate to drop during certain scenes (Nintendo Switch™)
  • Fixed an issue where videos would stop playing (Xbox Series X|S)
  • Fixed an issue affecting users who purchased the game in Japan where the English opening video would play even in the Japanese version of the game (Xbox Series X|S & Steam®)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version​

• Fixed an issue where some buttons were assigned multiple functions (Details on the updated controls are available in the Online Manual)
  • Fixed an issue where the audio was out of sync with certain videos
  • Fixed an issue that caused flickering in some cutscenes (Nintendo Switch™)
  • Fixed an issue where continually holding down certain buttons sometimes resulted in errors occuring (PlayStation®4)
  • Updated the Online Manual

Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Master Collection Version​

• Fixed some minor issues

METAL GEAR SOLID MASTER COLLECTION Vol.1 BONUS CONTENT​

• Fixed some minor issues

Issues Under Investigation​

We are investigating the issues below and working to resolve them. We will provide further details regarding fixes for these issues at a later time.

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version​

• An issue which sometimes causes certain cutscenes to stop playing

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version​

• An issue that results in the laser pointer effect not displaying in some cutscenes
  • An issue that causes the sea lice to be displayed incorrectly in certain scenes
  • An issue where sometimes trophies aren't properly unlocked (PlayStation®4)
  • An issue that causes the mic audio from game clips captured using console features to not save (Xbox Series X|S)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version​

• An issue where some face paints are displayed in a lower resolution
  • An issue that causes the mic audio from game clips captured using console features to not save (Xbox Series X|S)

Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Master Collection Version​

We will continue to provide regular updates on future improvements and fixes as further details are finalized.

CJ_75

Can't believe some of you guys gave konami your money with this shite. This release is an insult to mgs fans tbh
If the games were remastered, it would cost a lot more. If you take it as what it is, it is not that bad. It's pretty good.
For me, playing the games on modern hardware is a dream come true. I have bought it on Steam and using the 4K patch (with some minor issues).
MGS2 looked spectacular in 4K. I am playing on much better hardware (4090 with QD-OLED tv) than with PS2/PS3 and Sony Trinitron back in the days.

The collection is good, it is not amazing. A remaster/remake would be nice but only supervised by Hideo Kojima and done by Bluepoint.
This is Konami's best effort and in 2023, it is not a lot.

Last edited:
Since I'm not giving them any money for this port, been playing some OG HD Collection and it holds up decently well. The MSAA makes the angular graphics look ok-ish. The butter smooth 60 FPS and the other enhancements via emulation like 16x AF add too.

Don't @ me about using the EZ gun :messenger_tears_of_joy:
man MGS 3 is so badass

Don't worry, they will give the game "No Man Sky" treatment as almost all companies do these days. Release a half assed game and then patch it and hear the community and work hard all these year and redemption and all that bs.
That’s why I rarely buy games upon release at full price. I wait for sales later (at least 50% off) when the game has been patched a few times. Sad but true.

Ben87fr

Haha can't even release a 25 year old game in a finished state, what the fuck ?! I liked to replay mgs1 but man it could be so much better

VulcanRaven

I guess texture filtering and sound issues aren't worth investigating.
I messaged them about the Xbox texture filtering issue not long ago and the reply was that they have been made aware of these issues and are working hard to implement a fix in a future update.

Last edited:
At this point, I dont think anyone in the industry can fuck up quite like Konami has.

Between this and Silent Hill: Trauma ™ edition, I think its time for them to just go back to pachinko machines.

Sub_Level

Sound issues? For which game(s)?

Cant speak for all games/regions, but I played mgs2 to completion on PS5 yesterday and there’s a high pitch noise when equipping weapons/items. It was not like this in the PS2 and PS3 versions, they raised the pitch drastically for some reason.

The good news is the PS5 version runs much faster than PS3 and even PS2. No more codec loading or cutscene loading. This is easily the fastest version of MGS2 and perfect for dog tag replays/speedruns.

RaduN

Cant speak for all games/regions, but I played mgs2 to completion on PS5 yesterday and there’s a high pitch noise when equipping weapons/items. It was not like this in the PS2 and PS3 versions, they raised the pitch drastically for some reason.

The good news is the PS5 version runs much faster than PS3 and even PS2. No more codec loading or cutscene loading. This is easily the fastest version of MGS2 and perfect for dog tag replays/speedruns.
I don't remember any kind of loading on ps2.
You mean the fade to black before a cutscene? Here the cutscene begins instantly? That's weird as hell...

Ben87fr

I had a sound problem during the codec call with Houseman, the left channel was off near the end of the convo, thought my headseat was starting to die 💀

RagnarokIV

I had a sound problem during the codec call with Houseman, the left channel was off near the end of the convo, thought my headseat was starting to die 💀

I thought the same, but it's consistent on all versions of this collection. Pretty shit, really. It really took me out of the moment.

dotnotbot

Sound issues? For which game(s)?

This but the most obvious issues are in MGS1, sound is emulated incorrectly so most of the sound effects sound just different compared to original.

MGS2 has that high pitch noise as well as some sound effects are looped incorrectly (flying drone sound) or playing twice back to back or sometimes glitching out (sometimes codec call has incorrect lowered pitch).

And Steam version has trash music quality, like compressed 100 kb/s MP3.

Sub_Level

I don't remember any kind of loading on ps2.
You mean the fade to black before a cutscene? Here the cutscene begins instantly? That's weird as hell...

Yeah there’s still proper transitions so its not jarring but the cutscene loading is instant on ps5. Even on ps2 it would take a second when skipping through them. On PS5 its instant. Also on ps2 there were a couple fps slowdown zones that I noticed were completely fine on ps5: the fortune battle and the tanker holds with the marines. They are now silky smooth.

This is still a bad collection and I dont recommend that a fan buy it, but there are some redeeming qualities.

IMG-4759.jpg

Last edited:

graywolf323

Fuck, i don't wanna give konami 40 euros but i really want to replay these games on a modern hardware, i think i only played mgs2 and 3 once on ps2.

(I mean if we don't count like 30 hours wasted on the tank demo :LOL: )
I get it, I was tempted to pick it up during BF where I could have stacked a coupon at GreenManGaming to get it for nearly 25% off but with everything I’ve heard about the performance issues & how some of them don’t even run on the Steam Deck I decided to hold off

RaduN

Fuck, i don't wanna give konami 40 euros but i really want to replay these games on a modern hardware, i think i only played mgs2 and 3 once on ps2.

Use pcsx2.
Emulating the ps2 versions (which you own i understand), is the best way to play the games, bar none.

GymWolf

Use pcsx2.
Emulating the ps2 versions (which you own i understand), is the best way to play the games, bar none.
No i don't have the originals anymore, also i don't really like to use emulators, last time i checked it was a mess to install and set those things.

I heard the hd collection looks slightly better and it's probably way cheaper but i can't find it on pc...

VulcanRaven

You can also buy them separately. They are around 20 euros. Then you don't the bonus content MG1 NES version, Snake's Revenge NES and the soundtrack.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You can also buy them separately. They are around 20 euros. Then you don't the bonus content MG1 NES version, Snake's Revenge NES and the soundtrack.
I want all of them, the only version i have of mgs1 is twin snakes and that one make me puke a little in my mouth every time i think about it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No shit, they have the improved gameplay from mgs2, having better gameplay was never the point of people who don't like the remake.
Ehhh. The actor changing and over the top cutscenes were fine. I mean, if anything, I think Kojima only got crazier after Twin Snakes.

Ocelot on the boat in MGS4 might be the worst thing Kojima has ever done.

VulcanRaven

Ehhh. The actor changing and over the top cutscenes were fine. I mean, if anything, I think Kojima only got crazier after Twin Snakes.

I didn't like the over the top cutscenes. Snake is supposed to be the more normal character. Crazy and supernatural stuff happen around him.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't forget the missing music and the fact that mgs2 gameplay completely break mgs1 structure.

It is still a good game because the base is god tier, but as a dude who basically bought a cube for that game, i was beyond annoyed with it.

Still miles better than ff7 remilk tho.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Btw what is the deal with the pc version of mgs1 50hz-60hz stuff?

Can i play the best version with english voice and italian subs?

VulcanRaven

Btw what is the deal with the pc version of mgs1 50hz-60hz stuff?

Can i play the best version with english voice and italian subs?
You need to select the US version to get the normal speed. PAL versions are slower. I think it might be possible to play in japanese with english subtitles if you choose MGS: Integral but I'm not sure if all the texts are translated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom