• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

bender

What time is it?
This is looking worst than silent hill hd collection. Wow.
DC-ManofSteel-images-11432

Maybe if the codecs were in comic sans.

SCB3

This really makes me appreciate studios like Night dive and Bluepoint. This low effort shit for beloved games is really aggravating. I’m completely face palming.
The Irony being that these ports were of Bluepoints own remasters!

Night Dive has been doing great work, not on many games I've even heard of much less wanted to play but they've been very consistent

SCB3

It really sucks that the switch is the only one that lets you buy the games separately. Oh well.
You can on the other systems as well

Someone mentioned the Master collection being louder, and yea I agree, I had to turn my Monitors volume down to about half on MG1 and 2

RaduN

I'll just leave this here

it's worse then even the PS2 originals 😳

As i said the second the first details and footage was released: the best way to play MGS2 and 3 today is:
1. Ps2 original on a good crt
2. Pcsx2 emulation (not pcsx3 or whatever)

All other options are a fucking disgrace, with missing effects and crap performance.

MAX PAYMENT

Are MG1 and MG2 worth a play? They are obviously extremely outdated. But are they totally convoluted in what you're supposed to be doing and where to go?

violence

Are MG1 and MG2 worth a play? They are obviously extremely outdated. But are they totally convoluted in what you're supposed to be doing and where to go?
Oh, yes. MGS1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I can see needing to look up a guide when you get stuck. Old games didn’t have a GPS.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Meanwhile on Reddit:

DEH0f4g.png
Honestly, I get the sentiment. Still, why write an essay on something you know is wrong? If you don't care, cool. Enjoy. Don't have a meltdown trying to defend your purchase and justify for the million to billion dollar corporations that did less than the bare minimum.

But god damn do I want MGS4 on modern consoles.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I really want to replay these games but I don't own them anymore. I do have a backwards compatible PS3 and a PS2 so I could track down the originals but still the ease of use is tempting...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You can on the other systems as well

Someone mentioned the Master collection being louder, and yea I agree, I had to turn my Monitors volume down to about half on MG1 and 2
I checked the store on the PS5 and only see the bundle as an option.

wipeout364

I had my finger on the buy button multiple times. Really sad to see they did such a lackluster job on these ports. Still will buy but only after the inevitable sale happens.

dotnotbot

I checked the store on the PS5 and only see the bundle as an option.

Click on 3 dots to choose separate games or buy them through web browser

Last edited:

SCB3

I really want to replay these games but I don't own them anymore. I do have a backwards compatible PS3 and a PS2 so I could track down the originals but still the ease of use is tempting...
I was the same with Silent Hill 2 a couple of years back, wanted to play it fully but my options were PC piracy and Emulation, or an overpriced PS2 copy, I wnet for the Ease of use option for the HD collection on Xbox Series X, it was fine,

Play MGS1 its an outstanding game. I think the story in that is also the most coherent out of the 3 from what I remember. MGS2 is also amazing, fuck it, play them all.

Edit: Ha ignore me, just realised you mean MG1 the old NES game. In my opinion they're not really worth playing now. Too dated in my opinion.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I purchased MGS only, for the switch. I only messed around with the menus and did the 10 VR missions on the regular MGS version.

I can’t wait to play some more. I’m actually very excited to play through this game again. It’s been way too long.

bigdad2007

Meanwhile on Reddit:

DEH0f4g.png
This guy has a point though because the issue with emulation “improvements” is they are all subjective. Like someone people love shaders, some don’t. Some insist on perfect accuracy, some want widescreen 60 fps even is the original didn’t provide it. There is literally no way to make everyone happy so at some point if you want these commercially available there will have to be a middle ground between just a rom with no improvements and 100 options you can toggle.

Can anyone confirm if MGS2 and 3 have Japanese voice over options with English subtitles? Should I wait for the mod community to make an "UNDUB" version?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Play MGS1 its an outstanding game. I think the story in that is also the most coherent out of the 3 from what I remember. MGS2 is also amazing, fuck it, play them all.

Edit: Ha ignore me, just realised you mean MG1 the old NES game. In my opinion they're not really worth playing now. Too dated in my opinion.

No worries lol I have a feeling a bunch of people still make that mistake. to clarify:

MG1 - for msx - released 1987. Solid Snake fights Venom Snake from MGSV in Outer Heaven. Can be skipped in my opinion but its short if you use a guide.

MG2 - for msx - released 1990. Solid Snake fights Grey Fox and Big Boss in Zanzibar. This is the one you’ll wanna play if you like MGS1.

MG - for NES - non canon American version of MG1. Has many story and gameplay changes.

Snake’s Revenge - for NES - lol

Bought this morning. I think I’m going to do a complete play through of canon MG games. I never made it past 3 and I played them all so long ago I don’t remember much. So it would be something like:

MGS3
Portable Ops, I’ll probably skip this, apparently it’s only referenced sometime down the line and idk how I would even access it
Peace Walker, I can buy on the Series X marketplace
MGSV, never played these. Turns out I own Phantom Pain through GwG so I’d just need to buy the prequel
Metal Gear
MG2 Solid Snake
MGS
MGS2
MGS4, this one will be hard because I don’t own a PS3. I can play it on PS4 or 5 via cloud right?
MGR:R

This look about right? Isn’t there a GBC game? Hmmm

• Strength
Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

Bought this morning. I think I’m going to do a complete play through of canon MG games. I never made it past 3 and I played them all so long ago I don’t remember much. So it would be something like:

MGS3
Portable Ops, I’ll probably skip this, apparently it’s only referenced sometime down the line and idk how I would even access it
Peace Walker, I can buy on the Series X marketplace
MGSV, never played these. Turns out I own Phantom Pain through GwG so I’d just need to buy the prequel
Metal Gear
MG2 Solid Snake
MGS
MGS2
MGS4, this one will be hard because I don’t own a PS3. I can play it on PS4 or 5 via cloud right?
MGR:R

This look about right? Isn’t there a GBC game? Hmmm

That's my idea with the Collection too.

Don't skip Portable Ops. It's an awesome game and imho it gives you the context on why and how Jack became the Outer Heaven's big boss on PW and 5. I believe that even David Hayter said it was the best script in the series.

Emulation is your friend.

Last edited:
I purchased MGS only, for the switch. I only messed around with the menus and did the 10 VR missions on the regular MGS version.

I can’t wait to play some more. I’m actually very excited to play through this game again. It’s been way too long.

I did the same. Havn't had the ability to play it in 20 years. It holds up and ain't bad on Switch so far. I dunno if the emulation is that much worse than the original. At least it doesn't have input lag which I was worried about.

Top Bottom