• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Steroyd

MoonsaultSlayer said:
First time poster.... long time lurker.

I love this game so much but I've been doing a LOT of yelling at my tv playing this game on crushing. I'm in the middle of the "Sanctuary?" mission at the second big shoot out. So frustrating. Any tips? Thanks.

Ah the memories. :)

Is that the one with the 2 storeys and a fountain in the middle?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
My favorite unlock so far has to be Eddy Raja and his freaking golden gun that shit is awesome I just don't like the fact that aside from a couple of Nathan costumes the others don't get the wet effect when you roll on water and such. BTW The SAS shotgun has my favorite weapon sound it just sounds like it will tear your ass like a missile through tissue paper! :D

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
Eddies golden gun I think, which is essentially a golden desert eagle with 1 shot kill.

I suck, the TMP i.e the Micro 9mm.

Playing through uncharted in mirror world is tying my brain in knots. @_@

wow, I'm stupid :lol
Thanks mate

Just noticed a small "bug" in some cutscene.
The one where Navarro and Gabriel kidnap Elena, in the Nazi Bunker, right after you turn the generator on. For a few seconds, there's a close up on Drake, and he still has his necklace and Drake's ring, but obviously he shouldn't have it :p

Now gotta find all the treasures and the few medal points I didn't get yet (stealth kills, super dynamite whatever thing, and 1 or 2 others)

nib95

Banned
Just uploaded 40 Uncharted screens to my Photobucket. Remember people asking me to post them up a week or so back, so they shall be coming soon!

nib95

Banned
The screens as promised! 56k SUICIDE!!!

Uncharted.jpg

Uncharted1.jpg

Uncharted2.jpg

Uncharted3.jpg

Uncharted4.jpg

Uncharted5.jpg

Uncharted6.jpg

Uncharted7.jpg

Uncharted8.jpg

Uncharted9.jpg

Uncharted10.jpg

Uncharted11.jpg

Uncharted12.jpg

Uncharted13.jpg

Uncharted14.jpg

Uncharted15.jpg

Uncharted16.jpg

Uncharted17.jpg

Uncharted18.jpg

Uncharted19.jpg

Uncharted20.jpg

Uncharted21.jpg

Uncharted22.jpg

Uncharted23.jpg

Uncharted24.jpg

Uncharted25.jpg

Uncharted26.jpg

Uncharted27.jpg

Uncharted28.jpg

Uncharted29.jpg

Uncharted30.jpg

Uncharted31.jpg

Uncharted32.jpg

Uncharted33.jpg

Uncharted34.jpg

Uncharted35.jpg

Uncharted36.jpg

Uncharted37.jpg

Uncharted38.jpg

Uncharted39.jpg

:D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn Very very nice shots indeed man. Even in pics this game looks just amazing I will play it again today on crushing just to see how ball busting it is!.

bumpkin

Uncharted is such a beautiful enjoyable game. I just finished it earlier today, and I was actually a little bummed when it ended. I was having such a good time with it. I'll most likely be giving it another whirl on a harder difficulty; it's got that same intangible awesomeness that not many action/adventure games with a linear, never-changing story possess. The only three games I can recall in recent memory that share this distinction are Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War and Resident Evil 4.

I'd really like to see what Naughty Dog can do with a sequel. In theory, they could keep the title "Uncharted", but simply have a different subtitle that pertains to whatever treasure myth Nathan and Sully are seeking out.

*crosses fingers*

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
bumpkin said:
Uncharted is such a beautiful enjoyable game. I just finished it earlier today, and I was actually a little bummed when it ended. I was having such a good time with it. I'll most likely be giving it another whirl on a harder difficulty; it's got that same intangible awesomeness that not many action/adventure games with a linear, never-changing story possess. The only three games I can recall in recent memory that share this distinction are Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War and Resident Evil 4.

I'd really like to see what Naughty Dog can do with a sequel. In theory, they could keep the title "Uncharted", but simply have a different subtitle that pertains to whatever treasure myth Nathan and Sully are seeking out.

*crosses fingers*

I hope they look for a crazy Temple with a lost city in it that way they can keep the environments varied so it just wont look the same. As for the treasure may be the Hand of Midas would be cool, the Threads of Fate that are made of solid gold from Greek Myth. Some Aztec Treasure! To keep the jungle theme going, there are just so many great Ideas and treasure and locations they could do.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wasn't big on this game up until Chapter 4 and quit, but now that I've got Mass Effect and Bioshock cleared out finally, I'm gonna give this another attempt with New Years optimism! I'm going in!

j-wood

Uncharted: The City of Atlantis

Can you imagine how amazing that game would look? I mean the water already looked fantastic in DF....but imagine more time and a whole game built around it? :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
j-wood said:
Uncharted: The City of Atlantis

Can you imagine how amazing that game would look? I mean the water already looked fantastic in DF....but imagine more time and a whole game built around it? :D

Dude that would be freaking nice man. Also expanding on the Hand of Midas idea it would be awesome that if they do it at the final scene the villain thinks he has won and touches the gold en hand and gets turned into gold! HHAHAH generic I know but with Naughty Dogs charm they can pull it off.

Huggy

Grayman said:

Holy crap, I too cannot recall having cover over there. And I have finished the game on 3 difficulties, no easy.

Now the real hard stuff begins for me.... somewhere in this game, there are 2 treasures hidden.. and I have to find them. Plus I need a medal for something that will unlock by "playing the game".

I hate using faqs, it makes me feel dirty.

Grayman

Huggy said:
Holy crap, I too cannot recall having cover over there. And I have finished the game on 3 difficulties, no easy.

Now the real hard stuff begins for me.... somewhere in this game, there are 2 treasures hidden.. and I have to find them. Plus I need a medal for something that will unlock by "playing the game".

I hate using faqs, it makes me feel dirty.
I'm really trying to skip FAQs on this one. I think when I get really close to treasure I might look up what chapters they are in though.

It must be part of easy mode or we both missed a breakable part of the level multiple times

Playing the game ones are going to be hard to catch. A lot are just the guns, but if anything creative is in there it could take dozens of hours to show up because you aren't going for it. Like what if they have "kill 20 enemies with their own grenade" as a hidden one or "bash 20 skulls into a wall."

deepbrown

Uncharted7.jpg

Love that room...the walls are so impressive and shiney :p

Uncharted5.jpg

It's the mixture of textures on one object...and that they dont get pixelated when you get closer...pft amazing.

nib95

Banned
Guys I need your assistance. Can anyone link me to that article that went in to the top 10 things Uncharted had in regards to attention to detail?

gbovo

Just finished Uncharted last night. What more needs to be said, amazing, amazaton game. I was definitely one of those people who wasn't really feeling the demo, but still went ahead and got it based on positive reviews plus GAF impressions. The first 6 chapters weren't all that special (to me) and I too felt that there was too many shooting scenarios and not enough platforming scenarios. But at about Ch.7 was when the gameplay started balancing out (roughly equal amounts of platforming/shooting) and the "twist"
scared the pants off of me not necessarily because the enemies were too scary but the atmosphere became much darker an eerier thanks to the amazing graphics

The part I liked a lot was the II V VII part...
Uncharted28.jpg
...cause it looked like something out of an Indiana Jones movie and the graphics were truely phenomenal in that part. And the ending
was very classic (movie-wise) but I wished Nate and Elena at least kissed or better yet had a love scene in the game cause the sexual tension between them was reaching critical levels
. Also, the graphics are really incredible overall, though I'd like to see ND get rid of the screen tearing, make Drakes movements faster
I'm currently replaying on Hard with fast-motion and it feels much better this way
, 60fps probably wouldn't be bad either.Overall, one of the best games released this year.

I had somewhat subdued enthusiasm for Naughty Dog games after playing Jak 3 (didn't really like) and Jak X just felt like they had creatively hit a brick wall with the Jak franchise. But Uncharted just shows that they were more than ready to leave the cartoony games behind and tackle something on a more realistic, charismatic and relatable level. It also showed that they are better off without loud-mouth Jason Rubin, and that providing great support (and great budget) to a talented developer can yeild fantastic results.

Truespeed

I also just finished this game a few days ago and to be honest, I didn't really have a lot of faith in Naughty Dog or Uncharted for that matter. I've always thought of Insomniac as the PS3 powerhouse, but Uncharted just floored me with some of the best visuals I've ever seen on a console. The game isn't perfect because there are a few spots where you'll be scratching your head wondering what you need to do next. I guess it's nice that it doesn't really spell out what you need to do, but if you're new to this type of gameplay you'll end up dying quite a bit and getting frustrated until you find the proper path to clear the level (i.e. On the Trail to the Treasure). Also, some of the checkpoints in the game are very far apart and you'll find yourself basically restarting the level on some of the tougher levels which can also be frustrating. But, it's very rewarding once you finish the game because the story was just so engrossing and fascinating to me. I kept thinking that they should make a movie out of this game because they already have the script and the storyboard/game.

gbovo

From a sales perspective, I hope the game sells really well (over time) just so that a lot of people get to experience a game so great. I also think the game can help change and convert a lot of gamers perspectives on the PS3 and its current (and future) capabilities and just that the system can, and will support great games now and in the future. Bumpkin (one of the biggest PS3 haters on this forum) posting his glowing appreciation for the game in this thread...
bumpkin said:

*crosses fingers*
...is a testament to that.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I noticed that Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin were thanked in the credits. Anyone know why?

They were former co-presidents of Naughty Dog, I guess they had to pay respect to them, same with Stephen White and Dan Arey who also left, it's pretty much Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra's show now, I can't really call them second generation Naughty Dog since Evan joined the team really early from Crystal Dynamics but now Amy Hennig is doing the directing these days, I think it's better that the team gets the spotlight instead of Rubin all the time.
Indifferent2.gif

2real4tv

I thought GeOW was the most impressive looking game Ive played, after playing this it just makes it look bland the art the colors used and lighting were just goregeous.

Salazar

2real4tv said:
I thought GeOW was the most impressive looking game Ive played, after playing this it just makes it look bland the art the colors used and lighting were just goregeous.

A jungle is generally going to make a destroyed city look a bit plain.

2real4tv

Its not just that its sometimes the backgrouds they look blurred out or something. Some of the scenes in Uncharted felt surreal
especially in the catacombs when fighting the mutants, when it was charging down the hall with my flashlight beamed on it..it look so realistic
imo. Gears is still an excellent looking game and also one of my favorites they just need to improve there lighting engine. Playing Uncharted makes me understand why devs talk some much about the importance of proper lighting.

2real4tv said:
playing Uncharted makes me understand why devs talk some much about the importance of proper lighting.

The lighting and physics job are especially neat to see on the behind the scenes footage. I had no idea about how they were implementing the wind for sway effects. Actually, based on the vid, I'd probably say this is the best looking game of the year.

As for the rest of the game, well, it's polished. There are a lot of things to like, but the polish makes it easy to point out the three troubles I have:

1. Enemies seem to take bullets to ridiculous excess. I can understand some of the initial design reasoning but it's just really hard to accept the old-school quake logic where 4 bullets to the gut still lets the guy roll around and shoot you some more.

2. I really don't quite understand why there is a save option. Might as well be transparent to action like Assassin's Creed, because you can only reload as far as the last checkpoint anyway.

3. Final battle is very unforgiving on any difficulty level, and wearing on the nerves. The last chunk of it is awkward (in story and gameplay execution) and there needs to be more checkpoints. It's a shame, really, that they could leave a bad taste like that at the end.

I'd also say I hate
that they tried to add monsters
but it doesn't grate like the other stuff. Still, it's a hell of a game, and the unlock/bonus content is great. I think they did basically as good a job as the Halo 3 LE disc in terms of interesting footage on how the game was made, and unlike the LE disc, everything here looks ridiculously great in terms of compression. Watching the simul-mocap videos was also a lot of fun, and I usually avoid the behind the scenes stuff...

Grayman

Anyone have some tips on getting the steel fist medals? I don't want to go to an faq site and feel dirty but i am not sure what to do to get five of these babies in a row.

kevm3 said:
Uncharted is a completely different game once you play it on HD after playing it on SD. Unbelievable difference.
It(well the demo) still is great in SD though

Kittonwy

Banned
Grayman said:
Anyone have some tips on getting the steel fist medals? I don't want to go to an faq site and feel dirty but i am not sure what to do to get five of these babies in a row.

It(well the demo) still is great in SD though

Use the gunslinger combo (get up close, square, R1, square) to get the steel fist medal.

Grayman

Kittonwy said:
Use the gunslinger combo (get up close, R1, square, R1) to get the steel fist medal.
oh werd. I thought it wouldn't count and that I had to shot twice, hope the bugger didn't die then do a running super punch.

Now if only the 4th or 5th enemy in the very first scene didn't force the game into a brutal combo

deepbrown

Grayman said:
oh werd. I thought it wouldn't count and that I had to shot twice, hope the bugger didn't die then do a running super punch.

Now if only the 4th or 5th enemy in the very first scene didn't force the game into a brutal combo
They dont - that's where I got my steel fist :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Up to Chapter 7, game is starting to click.

I really had to resign myself to the fact that this is primarily a combat game and NOT some Tomb-Raider inspired dungeon puzzle quest. I still have issues with fine-tuning the aiming(prob need to futz with sensitivity), but the scope of the environments and freedom of how you engage in the combat is quite wonderful. Especially now that more weapons are becoming available in the various arenas, which are also growing more expansive and inviting for interesting gunplay.

I've started to notice some impressive AI tricks too. Usually they just sit and jet their heads out for supposedly easy takedowns, but occasionally they press to flank or close in on my position. I also get surprised when Nathan yelps "Oh no!" when a grenade lands close to flush me out of hiding.

Still confused about the timing of the melee kills. I've managed to get all the Square-Triangle-square achievements, so I must be mashing them out in a fit of luck, but I don't yet have a comfortable grasp on exactly how it all connects and works beyond the initial punch.

Kittonwy

Banned
Grayman said:

You don't have to do a drop kick, you do the gunslinger combo just like the brutal combo. Just run up to them, punch, R1, punch.

Raist

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
720p (I have 1080i enabled in the XMB, but the game renders in 720p).

You can force 1080i (or even p afaik) if you uncheck 720p. As soon as 720p is checked, it will ingore all other resolutions, because 720p is the one which should be chosen. They still enabled 1080 for people who have HDTV's that don't support 720p

Pachimari

Today I kickstarted my 'Game of the Year 2007' awards on the website I used to work for as an editor (but has since moved to another gamingsite). With Uncharted having gotten one award and one third place yet:

Best music
03. Final Fantasy XII
02. Mario Galaxy
01. Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Best atmosphere
03. Uncharted Drake's Fortune
02. Assassin's Creed
01. Bioshock

I'm gonna get the promotional copy of Uncharted later this month having already reviewed the debug version in november.

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
Today I kickstarted my 'Game of the Year 2007' awards on the website I used to work for as an editor (but has since moved to another gamingsite). With Uncharted having gotten one award and one third place yet:

Best music
03. Final Fantasy XII
02. Mario Galaxy
01. Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Best atmosphere
03. Uncharted Drake's Fortune
02. Assassin's Creed
01. Bioshock

I'm gonna get the promotional copy of Uncharted later this month having already reviewed the debug version in november.
Best Music should be Heavenly Sword by a long way...does anyone know how incredible Nitin Sawney is? meh.

Otherwise nice choices - love the "best atmosphere" category.:D

Forsete

Gold Member
Got a 4/5. He was impressed by the combat and the story. Best game of the bunch he had to review (a bunch of Wii-games).

Top Bottom