• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Katrina Thread: Any LA Gaffers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo-Volt

_40752130_n_orleans3_inf416.gif

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
xabre said:
I think he might have been referring to those that fill up large storage tanks of the stuff, there was a picture of one such person somewhere earlier in the thread.

Ah, right, right... you know being a city boy and all I don't know anything about that kinda stuff.

xabre

Banned
I don't think much of the lackadaisical effort on the part of the necessary authorities (from federal through the various relief agencies) in dealing with the problem though; nor do I think much of that Louisiana senator, typical politician by-the-book spin bullshit. I was impressed with the New Orleans mayor though, spoke very candidly and forthright.

Lo-Volt

The Netherlands was apparently giving us some backtalk about the levee situation in New Orleans. Which they can, because they've been religious about it since the last failure in the 1950s.

Mupepe

Banned
Phoenix said:
That's why they are called volunteers! Accept them, use them.
Did you just decide to go in a circle or something? Go back a few pages where the argument started, not where you decided to just butt in. Why do you need volunteers when there are able bodied people that can clean up after their self? Is that so wrong now? Something horrible happened to them, that's a given. But they can clean up after themselves and help themselves. Damn. I'm going home now.

DarienA

'It just seems like black people are marked'
Scenes from the flooded Deep South recall the desperation of a bygone era

By Wil Haygood
The Washington Post
Updated: 7:57 a.m. ET Sept. 2, 2005

BATON ROUGE, La., - It seemed a desperate echo of a bygone era, a mass of desperate-looking black folk on the run in the Deep South. Some without shoes.

It was high noon Thursday at a rest stop on the edge of Baton Rouge when several buses pulled in, fresh from the calamity of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Hundreds piled out, dragging themselves as if floating through some kind of thick liquid. They were exhausted, some crying.

"It was like going to hell and back," said Bernadette Washington, 38, a black homemaker from Orleans Parish who had slept under a bridge the night before with her five children and her husband. She sighed the familiar refrain, stinging as an old-time blues note: "All I have is the clothes on my back. And I been sleeping in them for three days."

While hundreds of thousands of people have been dislocated by Hurricane Katrina, the images that have filled the television screens have been mainly of black Americans -- grieving, suffering, in some cases looting and desperately trying to leave New Orleans. Along with the intimate tales of family drama and survival being played out Thursday, there was no escaping that race had become a subtext to the unfolding drama of the hurricane's aftermath.

"To me," said Bernadette Washington, "it just seems like black people are marked. We have so many troubles and problems."

"After this," her husband, Brian Thomas, said, "I want to move my family to California."

He was holding his 2-year-old, Qadriyyah, in his left arm. On Thomas's right hand was a crude bandage. He had pushed the hand through a bedroom window on the night of the hurricane to get to one of his children.

"He had meat hanging off his hand," his wife said. They live -- lived -- on Bunker Hill Road in Orleans Parish, a mostly black section of New Orleans.

Time was running out
When the hurricane hit, Thomas, a truck driver, said he came home from work, looked at every one of the people he loves, and stood in the middle of the living room. Thinking. He's the Socrates in the family -- but time was running out.

"I only got a five-passenger car," he said.

"Chevy Cavalier," said his wife.

"And," Thomas continued, "I stood there, thinking. I said, 'Okay, it's 50-50 if the water will get through.' "

Within hours the water rose, and it kept rising.

"But then I said, 'If we do take the car, some of us would be sitting on one another's laps.' And the state troopers were talking about making arrests."

Instead, he pushed the kids out a window. They scooted to the roof, some pulling themselves up with an extension cord.

"The rain was pouring down so hard," Washington said. "And we had a 3-month-old and a 2-year-old."

The 3-month-old, Nadirah, was sleeping in her mother's arms. "All I had was water to give her," said Washington, her voice breaking, her other children sitting on the concrete putting talcum power inside their soaked sneakers. "She's premature," she went on, about the 3-month-old. "She came May 22. Was supposed to be here July 11. I had her early because I have high blood pressure. Had to have her by C-section."

Bernadette Washington was suddenly worried about her blood pressure medicine. She reached inside her purse. "Look," she said. "All the pills are stuck together."

Both parents had been thinking about the hurricane, the aftermath, the looting, the politicians who might come to Louisiana and who might not. And their own holding-on lives, now jangly like bedsprings suddenly snapped.

"It says there'll come a time you can't hide. I'm talking about people. From each other," Bernadette Washington said.

Thomas, the philosopher, waved his bandaged hand. He had a theory: "God's angry with New Orleans. It's an evil city. The worst school system anywhere. Rampant crime. Corrupt politicians. Here, baby, have a potato chip for daddy."

The 2-year-old, Qadriyyah, took a chip from her daddy and gobbled it up. Her face was covered with mosquito bites. But she smiled just to be in daddy's arms.

Thomas continued: "A predominantly black city -- and they're killing each other. God had to get their attention with a calamity. New Orleans ain't seen an earthquake yet. You can get away from a hurricane but not an earthquake. Next time, nobody may get out."

A little hero
In the middle of the storm, little Ernest Washington, 9, had grown into a hero.

Washington and Thomas consider Ernest, Bernadette's nephew, their own now. They adopted him after his mother, Donna Marie Washington, died not long ago of AIDS.

"She was a runaway," said Washington, able to sound sorrowful for the child even in her current straits. "She had run away when she was 14. We don't know how she got the AIDS."

While Thomas was figuring his family's fate that first night, little Ernest bolted to the rooftop.

He had fashioned a white flag on a piece of stick, and began waving. "That is one courageous boy," Thomas said.

A helicopter passed them by. A National Guard unit passed them by.

"Black National Guard unit, too," piped in Warren Carter, Washington's brother-in-law.

In the South, the issue of race -- black, white -- always seems as ready to come rolling off the tongue as a summer whistle. A black Guard unit, passing them by. Something Carter won't soon forget.

Before long the whole family, watching the water rise, made it to the roof. Three men in a boat -- "two black guys and an Arab," Washington said -- rode by and left some food on the roof of a van parked nearby. Ernest went and retrieved the food.

"A little hustler he is," Thomas said.

"Child [is] something else," Washington said.

'Racism ain't everywhere'
It took two days for a helicopter to fetch them. They were delivered not to some kind of shelter, but to a patch of land beneath a freeway.

"I thought we were going to die out there," Bernadette Washington said. "We had to sleep on the ground. Use the bathroom in front of each other. Laying on that ground, I just couldn't take it. I felt like Job."

Then, somehow, a bus, and then Baton Rouge. At that moment, a lady -- white -- came by the rest stop and handed her some baby items.

"Bless you," Washington said.

That exchange forced something from Warren Carter: "White man came up to me little while ago and offered me some money. I said thank you, but no thanks. I got money to hold us over. But it does go to show you that racism ain't everywhere."

Under the hot sun, Brian Thomas was staring into an expanse of open air. They expected another relative to arrive soon and assist them in continuing their exodus.

I don't know how much more breaking my heart can do over these continue stories that come in...

EDIT:

Oh lord I just watched the video of the police in Wal-Mart.

You know if anything this shows you how far humanity has come... at our core... maybe not as far as we think.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
DarienA said:
I don't know how much more breaking my heart can do over these continue stories that come in...
I have had to stope watching tv, i have been barely sleeping and eating, but it is hard not to watch when you have family you havent heard from down there...Later today I'm leaving for Ms, I trying to prepare myself for what I will see, but I think watching the news is doing more harm then good.

ToxicAdam

AB 101 said:
Wonderful.

Football over humanitarian aid. :(

Not real proud right now.

Football games generate millions of dollars to the local economy. It's not just about football really .. people's livelihood's depend on those games.

ToxicAdam said:
Football games generate millions of dollars to the local economy. It's not just about football really .. people's livelihood's depend on those games.

FUCK THE MONEY!

HUMAN LIFE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$

ToxicAdam said:

QFT

Ferrio said:
"Looking foward to my trip down there" -- Bush

....why would any sane person word it that way.

I think you anwsered your own question.

"We'll get on top of this situation" -- Bush

Good job on getting on top of it, I think we should have had a hurricane of dudes kissing dudes he would have been down there faster.

ToxicAdam

wobedraggled said:
FUCK THE MONEY!

HUMAN LIFE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$

It is true .. but there are other solutions besides using Reliant stadium. So, why disrupt a local economy, if you don't have to?

ToxicAdam said:
It is true .. but there are other solutions besides using Reliant stadium. So, why disrupt a local economy, if you don't have to?

Understanable, just the way it was worded that bothered me.

Life above all else, but not everyone thinks that way :(

Macam

Banned
This cropped up on my HP RSS feed. Succint and to the point:

It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive. Four days after the storm, thousands of blacks in New Orleans are dying like dogs. No-one has come to help them.

I am a sixty-four year old African-American.

New Orleans marks the end of the America I strove for.

I am hopeless. I am sad. I am angry against my country for doing nothing when it mattered.

This is what we have come to. This defining watershed moment in America’s racial history. For all the world to witness. For those who’ve been caused to listen for a lifetime to America’s ceaseless hollow bleats about democracy. For Christians, Jews and Muslims at home and abroad. For rich and poor. For African-American soldiers fighting in Iraq. For African-Americans inside the halls of officialdom and out.

My hand shakes with anger as I write. I, the formerly un-jaundiced human rights advocate, have finally come to see my country for what it really is. A monstrous fraud.
But what can I do but write about how I feel. How millions, black like me, must feel at this, the lowest moment in my country’s story.

You don't have to be of color to sympathize with that. When I look back at the last three years with two wars, the Asian tsunami, the Sudanese genocide, and now this among other things....we all lose.

goodcow

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/42309.html

Three days ago, police and national guard troops told citizens to head toward the Crescent City Connection Bridge to await transportation out of the area. The citizens trekked over to the Convention Center and waited for the buses which they were told would take them to Houston or Alabama or somewhere else, out of this area.

It's been 3 days, and the buses have yet to appear.

Although obviously he has no exact count, he estimates more than 10,000 people are packed into and around and outside the convention center still waiting for the buses. They had no food, no water, and no medicine for the last three days, until today, when the National Guard drove over the bridge above them, and tossed out supplies over the side crashing down to the ground below. Much of the supplies were destroyed from the drop. Many people tried to catch the supplies to protect them before they hit the ground. Some offered to walk all the way around up the bridge and bring the supplies down, but any attempt to approach the police or national guard resulted in weapons being aimed at them.

There are many infants and elderly people among them, as well as many people who were injured jumping out of windows to escape flood water and the like -- all of them in dire straights.

Any attempt to flag down police results in being told to get away at gunpoint. Hour after hour they watch buses pass by filled with people from other areas. Tensions are very high, and there has been at least one murder and several fights. 8 or 9 dead people have been stored in a freezer in the area, and 2 of these dead people are kids.

The people are so desperate that they're doing anything they can think of to impress the authorities enough to bring some buses. These things include standing in single file lines with the eldery in front, women and children next; sweeping up the area and cleaning the windows and anything else that would show the people are not barbarians.

The buses never stop.

Before the supplies were pitched off the bridge today, people had to break into buildings in the area to try to find food and water for their families. There was not enough. This spurred many families to break into cars to try to escape the city. There was no police response to the auto thefts until the mob reached the rich area -- Saulet Condos -- once they tried to get cars from there... well then the whole swat teams began showing up with rifles pointed. Snipers got on the roof and told people to get back.

He reports that the conditions are horrendous. Heat, mosquitoes and utter misery. The smell, he says, is "horrific."

He says it's the slowest mandatory evacuation ever, and he wants to know why they were told to go to the Convention Center area in the first place; furthermore, he reports that many of them with cell phones have contacts willing to come rescue them, but people are not being allowed through to pick them up.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AB 101 said:
Wonderful.

Football over humanitarian aid. :(

Not real proud right now.

You do realize that most of the people who work at the stadium are one paycheck from living in a shelter themselves, right?

This thread is quickly dissolving into a Gaming-side thread. Everyone just wanting to complain. If you really want to do something, donate some money, get a slothing drive going, raise money, or something. You coming on here to complain about every little detail that has gone wrong isn't helping anyone but your ego.

About the Astrodome, the issue is that the Superdome used the stands, the Astrodome is only using the floor of the stadium, so they totally overestimated how many people could be housed. But they are now re-directing people to the Reliant Arena which is right next door, now. Moving people to the old Lakewood Church would bea great idea as there are many other churches in the area that can help.

DarienA

Super Power indeed... we can't even take care of our own people... why the hell hasn't there been a mass mobilization of ground and air vehicles to get our fellow man out of that city?

Goddamn... all I can do is post on a message board about how hopeless and frustrating this feels...

Examine:

What is happening here is the sorting of a very important contradiction in America. I suspect that the slow response to this disaster has something to do with the wealth of the people involved. Many times, Americans and politicians are content to let the poor live their lives. As a result of the fact that the poor are able to live in horrible conditions and survive, America forgets about them to a certain extent.

Now, in New Orleans, it is the poor that we are forced to save. It is much harder to quickly move on one's feet when one has allowed the poor to become invisible and to "not matter" in their life. One develops an internalized schema of not being able to do anything for the poor. Thus, I suspect that many higher and wealthier people are dealing with the contradiction that although the poor do not matter from a societal standpoint [and this is purely speculation of a social situation, not what I believe to be the case], the poor's lives are in complete danger and they MUST matter.

DarienA

I finally watched the video of the man describing to the reporter how he couldn't hold on to his wife.. "She told me, 'You can't hold me, ... take care of the kids and the grandkids," he said, sobbing."

That shit brought tears to my eyes... fuck it I'm not ashamed to admit that... that shit brought tears to my eyes.

DarienA said:
I finally watched the video of the man describing to the reporter how he couldn't hold on to his wife.. "She told me, 'You can't hold me, ... take care of the kids and the grandkids," he said, sobbing."

That shit brought tears to my eyes... fuck it I'm not ashamed to admit that... that shit brought tears to my eyes.

They did a follow up on him that was on cnn, i didn't catch all of it, but he still hasn't found his wife.

OmniGamer

DarienA said:

Yeah...they had a follow up story on CNN this morning, he went back to his home. One consolation is that he was able to find a picture of her...he said he's going to honor her wish and take care of his kids as best as he can, and there was a huge outpouring of support and letters, and he said he thanks America and will always continue to thank America(the people of America I assume, moreso than the Government).

OmniGamer

ConfusingJazz said:
They did a follow up on him that was on cnn, i didn't catch all of it, but he still hasn't found his wife.

They said they found her body, and they(CNN) offered to drive him to where the body was, but they were stopped...the guy said something about only people from Biloxi are allowed to enter Biloxi, or something...don't quote me on that part, but bottom line is he wasn't able to go identify the body as of yet.

DarienA

OmniGamer said:
They said they found her body, and they(CNN) offered to drive him to where the body was, but they were stopped...the guy said something about only people from Biloxi are allowed to enter Biloxi, or something...don't quote me on that part, but bottom line is he wasn't able to go identify the body as of yet.

Anybody remember his name? I want to do a news search because I don't see any followup articles posted about him yet.

EDIT: Ok found his name.. Hardy Jackson.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cant help but to wonder what all of the fuckin disaster training and preperation post 9/11 was for. Certainly doesnt seem like it helped a damn bit. This shit is beyond ridiculous and America should be ashamed of itself.

pulsemyne

As a brit I can only say this is terrable stuff and it just shows that America needs to wake up to the fact that this is a disaster of its own making. The current administration had the time and opertunity to repair and strengthen the defences around NO but instead pissed its money up the wall on a pointless war and on pointless military projects. Hell this is a country that spends more on a sports star than on its defences to protect thousands of lives. There is something wrong on a fundimental level with a country that does that (I included my own country in this judegment but at least we are at the mercy of mother nature to the degree that america is). Prehaps this will lead to a revaluation of priorities within american society and societies the world over. Lets hope so for all our sakes.

teiresias

God help this country if there ever is a large scale terrorist attack in this country, because contrary to what this administration is trying to tell people, this whole ordeal proves that the government is no way prepared to deal with an unexpected attack when they can't properly respond to a weather event with advanced warning.

I was running on the treadmill when this point was brought up on CNN, but the anchor lady, I can't remember, she's one of the regular CNN people I think (it may have been headline news, not CNN proper), went off and was like, "We keep hearing this excuse about how the cell phone system is down and that's why the relief efforts are so bad - did these people really expect the cell phone system to keep working? Why aren't they prepared for destroyed communication infrastructure?"

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
pulsemyne said:
As a brit I can only say this is terrable stuff and it just shows that America needs to wake up to the fact that this is a disaster of its own making. The current administration had the time and opertunity to repair and strengthen the defences around NO but instead pissed its money up the wall on a pointless war and on pointless military projects. Hell this is a country that spends more on a sports star than on its defences to protect thousands of lives. There is something wrong on a fundimental level with a country that does that (I included my own country in this judegment but at least we are at the mercy of mother nature to the degree that america is). Prehaps this will lead to a revaluation of priorities within american society and societies the world over. Lets hope so for all our sakes.

This post is an example of how someone from outside the United States can't really comprehend how things are here.

The United States is an immense country. It is divided into states, each of which has its own level of self-government, and indeed the form of each state government varies. The Federal government has responsibilities regarding the national economy, interpreting and upholding the Constitution, and national defense, but the state and local governments are the ones who decide what projects are required and to what level.

It was the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans' respective government officials' collective responsibility to make sure the levees were what they needed to be, not the federal governments.

The federal government can help to fund these efforts, but it's up to localities to make sure the projects get done.

ToxicAdam

pulsemyne said:
The current administration had the time and opertunity to repair and strengthen the defences around NO but instead pissed its money up the wall on a pointless war and on pointless military projects.

What?

Hell this is a country that spends more on a sports star than on its defences to protect thousands of lives.

Hunh?

Maybe you would be better informed if you were making comments about your own country. (But I doubt it)

pulsemyne

SteveMeister said:
This post is an example of how someone from outside the United States can't really comprehend how things are here.

The United States is an immense country. It is divided into states, each of which has its own level of self-government, and indeed the form of each state government varies. The Federal government has responsibilities regarding the national economy, interpreting and upholding the Constitution, and national defense, but the state and local governments are the ones who decide what projects are required and to what level.

It was the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans' respective government officials' collective responsibility to make sure the levees were what they needed to be, not the federal governments.

The federal government can help to fund these efforts, but it's up to localities to make sure the projects get done.

Oh come on they cut the budget for the defence system and took troops away for NO and sent them to iraq. This disaster has been predicted for a VERY LONG TIME and the system put in place by the local government and the main government has been utter torn to shreds. As was said above, if heaven forbid there was to be another major attack then based on the planning shown in this disaster there will be a major loss of life becuase the whole disaster responce system is poorly equiped to cope with such a disaster. I simply do not understand why the american public isn't demand for resignations of the the president and his disaster relief agency staff.

DarienA

pulsemyne said:
I simply do not understand why the american public isn't demand for resignations of the the president and his disaster relief agency staff.

For myself I'll say that I don't think that would be a good idea right NOW because that would accomplish nothing except putting another stutter in the sputtering relief as it is.... I damn sure hope that later in the coming days and weeks that people do start making strong demands of our gov't for an explanation.

blahness

pulsemyne said:
Oh come on they cut the budget for the defence system

Again I must repost something i posted a few days ago on this subject:

If anyone had bothered to read the actual budget and looked at the cuts taken place or proposed in FY05 and FY06 they would find out that funding for ACOE projects of national importance were actually INCREASED. The budget cuts were on the most wasteful ACOE projects most of which have nothing to do with the NO area.

http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/cepa/pubs/mar05/STORY1.HTM

From what i have read the ACOE has been plagued for years with mis-appropriation of money and backlogs of projects. THAT is the reason for cutting wasteful ACOE projects out of the budget. For more information on the wasteful and harmful projects of the ACOE: http://www.taxpayer.net/corpswatch/crossroads/index.htm

pulsemyne

ToxicAdam said:
What?

Hunh?

Maybe you would be better informed if you were making comments about your own country. (But I doubt it)

So because I'm not from american I can't comment on what a mess this whole situation is? I happen to know what I'm talking about when it comes to the matter of storms and hurricanes and just how powerful they can be and this WAS PREDICTED years in advance, this storm was well tracked and very well predicted for at least 3 days in advance. The defences were not ready for a strong storm and they should have been ready!. 3 FUCKING DAYS in advance !. The army should have been mobilised and ready to go. In cuba, when there is a major hurricane on the way, the army goes house to house and places the people on trucks and gets them to safety.

Culex

Banned
pulsemyne said:

The war in Iraq had ZERO fucking bearing on the levees holding up Lake Pontchartrain. Holy shit, you have some agenda.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
pulsemyne said:
Oh come on they cut the budget for the defence system and took troops away for NO and sent them to iraq. This disaster has been predicted for a VERY LONG TIME and the system put in place by the local government and the main government has been utter torn to shreds. As was said above, if heaven forbid there was to be another major attack then based on the planning shown in this disaster there will be a major loss of life becuase the whole disaster responce system is poorly equiped to cope with such a disaster. I simply do not understand why the american public isn't demand for resignations of the the president and his disaster relief agency staff.

I'm not disagreeing with all of what you're saying -- but New Orleans' problems and vulnerabilities long predate the Bush administration and the war in Iraq. The slow response to aid IS directly attributable to Bush's destruction of FEMA (sucking it into the Homeland Security Administration and shifting its focus to preventing terrorist attacks.)

That the flooding happened had nothing to do with the Bush administration. The horrifyingly slow response to it did.

And while I'd love to see Bush resign or Congress move to impeach him, I don't see either happening. The Bush administration will never admit it was wrong about ANYTHING, it'll just shift the blame to others.

Lo-Volt

DarienA said:
For myself I'll say that I don't think that would be a good idea right NOW because that would accomplish nothing except putting another stutter in the sputtering relief as it is.... I damn sure hope that later in the coming days and weeks that people do start making strong demands of our gov't for an explanation.

I think it depends on what other horror stories will come out of the corpse of New Orleans, and what substance Bush's speech from Lousiana will have. Him saying that the government's performance is "not acceptable" (no shit, Sherlock) while in the city would be a bad sign of what's to come from Washington D.C., nevermind that some are already spitting venom at reports that Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice was shopping for shoes on Fifth Avenue in New York as late as Wednesday, and that the Vice President was still on vacation in Wyoming the same day. WaPo White House briefing, last entry on this page. It suddenly looks as if cabinet members don't care that an American city practically died this week, but it's damn sure getting noticed by some.

At the same time, I'm dismally pessimistic. Not with these Democrats, never mind the ruling party, may anything like what you describe going to happen this year.

GhaleonEB

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Culex

Banned
pulsemyne said:
So because I'm not from american I can't comment on what a mess this whole situation is? I happen to know what I'm talking about when it comes to the matter of storms and hurricanes and just how powerful they can be and this WAS PREDICTED years in advance, this storm was well tracked and very well predicted for at least 3 days in advance. The defences were not ready for a strong storm and they should have been ready!. 3 FUCKING DAYS in advance !. The army should have been mobilised and ready to go. In cuba, when there is a major hurricane on the way, the army goes house to house and places the people on trucks and gets them to safety.

You do realize that no one could accurately tell where the storm was going until less than 24 hours before it hit right?

THREE DAYS?! Um...three days before the storm hit, it wasn't even a Cat 1 hurricane.

Cuba is a military state, of course the ARMY goes door to door.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DarienA said:

Those are my thougts as well DA. Bush this morning said that the response so far is not acceptable, so I am thinking heads will roll after this is done.

Plus I am cranky from staying up late helping some evacuees into some empty apts. in my complex last night, so any outbursts have to be taking with a grain of salt.

ToxicAdam

pulsemyne said:

1) FEMA and the Army do not "prepare" for disasters. They have guidelines in place to react when disasters occur when called upon. Its up to the states to make sure thier National Guard is prepared to answer.

2) if you knew so much about hurricanes .. you would realize that you can not "prepare" for them in the same way you do a winter storm. You get the fuck out of town .. then come back and try to clean up the mess. So, even in your fairy tale scenerio .. what was the "army" supposed to do? Bury themselves in the ground then spring forward once the hurricane passed?

3) New Orleans wasn't the only place affected. This storm was 500 miles long. MASSIVE. Look at a map of America ... then relate the affected area to England ... You are talking about damage on a tremendous scale .. spread out over miles and miles. All people in need of assistance.

Also, you do realize that our governement doesn't pay these "sports stars" money, right? They receive thier paychecks from gate receipts and advertising. In fact, due to our tax system .. they are probably the biggest tax contributors in the country.

pulsemyne

SteveMeister said:
I'm not disagreeing with all of what you're saying -- but New Orleans' problems and vulnerabilities long predate the Bush administration and the war in Iraq. The slow response to aid IS directly attributable to Bush's destruction of FEMA (sucking it into the Homeland Security Administration and shifting its focus to preventing terrorist attacks.)

That the flooding happened had nothing to do with the Bush administration. The horrifyingly slow response to it did.

And while I'd love to see Bush resign or Congress move to impeach him, I don't see either happening. The Bush administration will never admit it was wrong about ANYTHING, it'll just shift the blame to others.

While I disagree with you on the bush administration having no blame I do agree mwith you about the administration never admitting its mistakes.
As for the storm being a cat 1 three days before, well yes it was, and it was sitting right over the highest temps in sea surface temps since 1998. A year that just so happened to breed some monster storms. All models predicted a very powerful cat 4/5 hurricane.
As for me having an agenda the yes I do have one. I happen to believe that we have governments to pretect its people and do its best for them. when I see gross incompetance from any political party then it deserves to be savaged.

shuri

Banned
LONDON (Reuters) - The world has watched amazed as the planet's only superpower struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with some saying the chaos has exposed flaws and deep divisions in American society.

World leaders and ordinary citizens have expressed sympathy with the people of the southern United States whose lives were devastated by the hurricane and the flooding that followed.

[...]

The pictures of the catastrophe -- which has killed hundreds and possibly thousands -- have evoked memories of crises in the world's poorest nations such as last year's tsunami in Asia, which left more than 230,000 people dead or missing.

But some view the response to those disasters more favorably than the lawless aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"I am absolutely disgusted. After the tsunami our people, even the ones who lost everything, wanted to help the others who were suffering," said Sajeewa Chinthaka, 36, as he watched a cricket match in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

"Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S. we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/02/MTFH62797_2005-09-02_14-16-45_BAU248384.html

pulsemyne

ToxicAdam said:
1) FEMA and the Army do not "prepare" for disasters. They have guidelines in place to react when disasters occur when called upon. Its up to the states to make sure thier National Guard is prepared to answer.

2) if you knew so much about hurricanes .. you would realize that you can not "prepare" for them in the same way you do a winter storm. You get the fuck out of town .. then come back and try to clean up the mess. So, even in your fairy tale scenerio .. what was the "army" supposed to do? Bury themselves in the ground then spring forward once the hurricane passed?

1) in that case FEMA really needs to prepare itself better. Disaster scenarios should be put in place and practiced well. It may cost some money but hell if you can spend 400 billion dollars on the military then surely a few billion more to fema would be chump change.

2) Yes, you get the fuck out of town, but if you are in a low lying area then you would expect the defences to be built to be able to withstand to full force of nature. Builing leeves to with stand cat 3 is quite pointless, espically lately when we are seeing a huge increase in the levels of cat 4 and 5 hurricanes. This is happening largely due to Global Warming and this increase in storm intensity and amount was well predicted. So what do you do? Think " Hmm well lets see, Hurricane Andrew that was a cat4/5 at landfall, Camille was a cat 4/5 at landfall, Ivan was a cat 4 at landfall. I tell you what lets build our defences to withstand cat 3 !".

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
With all this $$$ being spent on foregin excursions, with all the shit being cut- something must become a weak link. And this is what it is. Taking care of your own people in these scenarios. Unprecedented or not, for a country with the capability of the US, what is going on is abysmal- the response has been abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom