• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

LegendX48

You have a lot of really good points. But just out of respect to the character he should stay male. Maybe they can make a new character that looks like link called Linka or something or just make a game where you play as zelda switched places with link where he's the prince.
No. If they decided to make Link a full on coward or if they were to just outright make Link a complete douche and be the opposite of what Link is THAT would be disrespectful to the character. Link's spirit being reborn as a female at least once would not be because it's still Link in spirit and essence.

my issue with female link is that she never once paid for drugs.
1ENWBHO.gif

royalan

You have a lot of really good points. But just out of respect to the character he should stay male. Maybe they can make a new character that looks like link called Linka or something or just make a game where you play as zelda switched places with link where he's the prince.

To the player. Link's identity is "established" to the player, in the since that Nintendo has always manifested him as a male in a green tunic and hat.

But in context of the world and the mythos Nintendo themselves have laid down, Link's identity is not established. He's different every time. Nothing more than a vessel for the spirit of the hero. He could theoretically be ANYONE.

No. If they decided to make Link a full on coward or if they were to just outright make Link a complete douche and be the opposite of what Link is THAT would be disrespectful to the character. Link's spirit being reborn as a female at least once would not be because it's still Link in spirit and essence.
That's true, I was just throwing out random scenarios. I guess at the end of the day I just want to play a zelda game as link just the way he is. And if they do make a new character that's a female it shouldn't be link, just my opinion and if nintendo decides to make link a female ill trust their decision because they haven't let me down yet.

I've already compiled a list of quotes relevant to the discussion at hand, asking me to do so again is childish and speaks of drive-by post insults. Do yourself a favor and compile a list of quotes for me in this thread that goes against to what I claimed of a "steadfast opposition to a female Link."

Oh, so you did. And I see that more than half of them say literally nothing expressing dissatisfaction with the idea of Link being female, and are only addressing the fact that he is male in this game.

As for a list of quotes, I can only assume you mean aside from the literally dozens of posts saying they would like a female Link, including mine? So when you say "steadfast opposition", you mean "amongst those who steadfastly oppose this"? So that would be...I'm being generous and giving you 5 of the posts that you quoted, out of 12.

You're misinterpreting people saying "they didn't change his gender" and "there's no need to change his gender", and think they're saying "they shouldn't change his gender".

I'm wondering what Aonuma and his design team are thinking, now knowing that their character designs are to a point where half of the Western world can mistake Link for a young woman if Eiji so much as jokes about the possibility of Link not being the primary protagonist.... I imagine the hoopla must have sent quite the message to them.

Regardless of if they're fine with this or not, I think this is the first time Aonuma has needed to respond to these claims, especially for a "recurring" character.

Popnbake

I believe this is revolutionary. I may be reading too much into it, but all that has been shown points towards this. I think it's genius. Link's Wii U design transcends the boundaries of sex and gender into the domain of unisex and personal interpretation and perception takes the scene. It's an incredibly creative opportunity that I am convinced Aonuma has identified and taken with the new design.

Yes, I think you are giving him too much credit.

To me he's just coming clean with his past teasing on Link's gender speculation and the game will feature a male Link who just happens to be more effeminate (which may change as the story progresses) than his previous versions.

Tetranet

I'm wondering what Aonuma and his design team are thinking, now knowing that their character designs are to a point where half of the Western world can mistake Link for a girl if Eiji so much as jokes about the possibility of Link not being the primary protagonist.... I imagine the hoopla must have sent quite the message to them.

Regardless of if they're fine with this or not, I think this is the first time Aonuma has needed to respond to these claims, especially for a "recurring" character.

Zelda has now become a 'sexism among gamers' discussion hasn't it?

FFS. Nintendo just can't win any can they?

Nintendo has already won. People are just too blind (and sexist) to see it.

skull kid

I'm wondering what Aonuma and his design team are thinking, now knowing that their character designs are to a point where half of the Western world can mistake Link for a girl if Eiji so much as jokes about the possibility of Link not being the primary protagonist.... I imagine the hoopla must have sent quite the message to them.

I'd actually like to see a poll on gaf to see if it's 50-50 like you suggest

That depends. What is "regular old Link" to you?

-the shared traits among all the other Links not including BS Zelda, CD-i, or cartoon.
-Not customizable at all, ever. (please no customization :( )
-a mostly blank character that is still part of the story and reacts to events. not really a avatar but a character that links me to the game.

All this talk about changing things about Zelda I like is making me really sad and anxious at the same time.

ramyeon

-the shared traits among all the other Links not including BS Zelda, CD-i, or cartoon.
-a mostly blank character that is still part of the story and reacts to events. not really a avatar but a character that links me to the game.
This. Especially that last point, and I think that's an important distinction to make. Link has always had a predefined set of attributes, he's not supposed to be an avatar of the player in the game world. He's supposed to be the link between the world and the player, he is the character through which they experience the world.

royalan

I actually think I might suffer from anxiety problems, and all this talk about changing things about Zelda I like is making me really sad and anxious at the same time.

But what's the shared traits? Link has been slightly different across all the games. Different hair color. Different age. Different body type. Different facial features.

The only shared trait besides the tunic is his maleness, and the fact that by the end of the game he'll wield the Master Sword.

This. Especially that last point, and I think that's an important distinction to make. Link has always had a predefined set of attributes, he's not supposed to be an avatar of the player in the game world. He's supposed to be the link between the world and the player, he is the character through which they experience the world.

This distinction always struck me as silly. By this definition every playable character is the "link" of their respective games, because they player uses them. It's not a distinction that in any way makes Link unique.

casmith07

In my opinion, this is a very key moment for Nintendo to start a brand new action/adventure IP using the same universe but following Zelda's perspective.

A game centered around the 7 years when the Hero of Time was gone, and Zelda was on the run with Impa from Ganondorf would be really cool. Imagine the co-operative gaming opportunities with tag-team elements using magic, etc. between Zelda and Impa?

Do it, Aonuma. Don't just give us one or two games per gen. Give us moar.

But what's the shared traits? Link has been slightly different across all the games. Different hair color. Different age. Different body type. Different facial features.

The only shared trait besides the tunic is his maleness, and the fact that by the end of the game he'll wield the Master Sword.

Basically the shared traits of all of these minus the transformations or the starting gear. This is Link to me.

casmith07

I just really want regular old Link. Why is that a bad thing?

Because if you do, you're a pig-headed, misogynistic, chauvinist, sexist, piece of garbage! You anti-woman anti-feminist woman-hater!

I just think it's ironic -- all the people clamoring for female leads didn't go out and buy Remember Me or Tomb Raider in droves, two games with bad-ass women as the main characters.

royalan

Basically the shared traits of all of these minus the transformations or the starting gear. This is Link to me.

Thanks for highlighting how different all of these Link's look. Really, the only trait they share is the green tunic and the fact that they're all boys.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't have a brave, strong-looking female with the same shade of hair and green tunic right on that picture. She'd fit from a thematic perspective.

Thanks for highlighting how different all of these Link's look. Really, the only trait they share is the green tunic and the fact that they're all boys.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't have a brave, strong-looking female with the same shade of hair and green tunic right on that picture. She'd fit from a thematic perspective.

And what about after that game is released huh? Are we to believe that the Zelda team will be able to get away with making Link a boy again without backlash or should all Zelda games allow you to play as a female? Heck why stop there, since Link is apparently not enough of a character to be an established iconic character might as well just start filling that poster up with everything and anything anybody can imagine.

I personally think you're being purposefully daft. All the Links share a somewhat familiar face, pointy ears, being a guy, blonde/brown hair, and the familiar garb. Which brings me to my next question, why is it necessary for Link to change? I'm fine with the way he is.

Tetranet

What is strictly male about this design? Is there anything other than prior knowledge (and assumption that this will continue) that Link's male, that would make you say this person is male? Something that makes this design impossible to be female?

legend-of-zelda-wii-u-gameplay-trailer-hd720ph264-aacmp4snapshot004220140611212900.jpg

skull kid

I think we're going in circles, there's nothing in that design that screams 100% male or female, every person sees something different

Deitus

Because if you do, you're a pig-headed, misogynistic, chauvinist, sexist, piece of garbage! You anti-woman anti-feminist woman-hater!

I just think it's ironic -- all the people clamoring for female leads didn't go out and buy Remember Me or Tomb Raider in droves, two games with bad-ass women as the main characters.

I really don't get this. Tomb Raider (2013) was boring. Remember Me looked equally boring. Why should supporters of female leads have to buy mediocre games?

Disclaimer: I am not someone who agrees with your first paragraph. I don't think people who want Link to be male are sexist. I personally think a female Link could work, but I also don't think Link needs to be female. It would be nice to get some more female representation in this series though, one way or another. Though preferably not in the form of another damsel in distress.

royalan

And what about after that game is released huh? Are we to believe that the Zelda team will be able to get away with making Link a boy again without backlash or should all Zelda games allow you to play as a female? Heck why stop there, since Link is apparently not enough of a character to be an established iconic character might as well just start filling that poster up with everything and anything anybody can imagine.

You can argue your own hypothetical future. I don't have the time.

I personally think you're being purposefully daft. All the Links share a somewhat familiar face, pointy ears, being a guy, blonde/brown hair, and the familiar garb.

I disagree. In fact, I'm actually surprised at how exotic the newer Link's look in comparison to the rounder-face, wide-eyed early models. This picture illustrates that Link has had near-complete redesigns, and several of them.

Besides, all the features you mentioned could easily be incorporated into a female character...besides the guy thing. But that's besides the point: making a female Link would not break the lore. That's the important thing, in my mind.

What is strictly male about this design? Is there anything other than prior knowledge (and assumption that this will continue) that Link's male, that would make you say this person is male? Something that makes this design impossible to be female?

legend-of-zelda-wii-u-gameplay-trailer-hd720ph264-aacmp4snapshot004220140611212900.jpg
I'm not sure why you're quoting me here.

You can argue your own hypothetical future. I don't have the time.

I disagree. In fact, I'm actually surprised at how exotic the newer Link's look in comparison to the rounder-face, wide-eyed early models. This picture illustrates that Link has had near-complete redesigns, and several of them.

Besides, all the features you mentioned could easily be incorporated into a female character...besides the guy thing. But that's besides the point: making a female Link would not break the lore. That's the important thing, in my mind.

I know it doesn't go against the lore, I'm not arguing that it can't happen I just don't think it needs to happen. I'm not against FemLink I just:

A) prefer Link as a guy.

B) rationalize that the only way for Nintendo to please both sides is the option to pick Link's gender, which to me breaks immersion and is something I'm strongly against.

I just have to sigh here. He didn't say you couldn't have a female that fits into that lineup. Preferring a male character is not the same thing as attacking the idea of a female character. Link has always been male, and some people identify with that. It's incredibly hypocritical to want a female character and still condemn someone who prefers male.

I know it doesn't go against the lore, I'm not arguing that it can't happen I just don't think it needs to happen. I'm not against FemLink I just:

A) prefer Link as a guy.

B) rationalize that the only way for Nintendo to please both sides is the option to pick Link's gender, which to me breaks immersion and is something I'm strongly against.

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning. It's reasonable to prefer a male character if given the option, especially on an immersion reason and the fact he has always been a male.

DedValve

Banned

Except gameplay matters too.

Oh and Tomb Raider was ridiculously successful, just not by Square Enix's obscene standards. Remember Me was sent out to die with zero marketing, the same happened with Fuse, the dudebro shooter. Lack of marketing tends to do that you know.

So I really don't know where your going with either of those examples.

defferoo

this whole thing was ridiculous to begin with. some people secretly hoped that Link would be female, they saw the trailer, convinced themselves that the character was androgynous enough to be female (he was clearly Link in my mind, and male), started theorizing that the character was female, making up reasons why it would be sexist if the character was not female. Aonuma says no, the character is Link and is male, at which point people start to complain about Link not being female.

First of all, you all were the ones who convinced yourselves that the character was female. The fact that Link is male should be no surprise to you given the series' history of 25 years. Therefore, you should not be complaining that Link is male, like he is in every other Zelda game. You wouldn't just change Mario or Captain Falcon to a female would you? just like you wouldn't change Samus to a male. This is why I think Link should stay a male character. He is an icon of gaming, like Zelda is. That said, I would be delighted if Nintendo made a Zelda game where Zelda is the protagonist and fights to save Hyrule, nothing wrong with that, but Link is Link, let's keep it that way.

Banned

Remember Me was a great concept, but wasn't executed well and wasn't even marketed by Capcom at all. It was a flawed game. The fact it had a female lead had nothing to do with it bombing. Tomb Raider sold over six million copies so I don't want you're trying to accomplish with that example.

Nicktendo86

Link had always been a young lad who grows to be the hero, however I don't see any reason why they can't let you decide if link is a boy or girl. As many others have said the character is called link as it is supposed to be an extension of the player, if the player feels more connection with a female character that what's the problem? Leave all the artwork as a boy to keep consistency with the series but let the player decide.

Top Bottom