• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Rumor Says Zelda HD Remasters are Coming This Fall

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Fans have been begging for years to see The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD released on Nintendo Switch. The remasters originally released on the Wii U, and remain some of the system's only first-party games that have yet to release on Switch. It seems an end might finally be in sight, as Venture Beat's Jeff Grubb believes the ports could see release in the fall. Grubb stated as such in an appearance on his podcast, pointing to Nintendo's yearly Zelda releases to support his theory.

"They want to have a Zelda thing every year, they've been holding onto this, why wouldn't they just put it out this year, and if they don't put this out or some other Zelda thing this year instead of just waiting for Breath of the Wild 2, I just will not understand," said Grubb. "I do think this game, as much as it was a joke in the Mega64 video, I do believe it does actually come out in October."

As Grubb points out, there has been at least one Zelda game released for the Nintendo Switch every year since launch: Breath of the Wild (2017), Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (2018), A Link to the Past (2019), Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (2020), and Skyward Sword HD (2021). With The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 pushed back to 2023, the Wii U ports could help fill that Zelda gap in the schedule, while giving fans something they've long been asking for. It's unclear if The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD would be offered as part of a collection, or sold individually.

ParaSeoul

As Grubb points out, there has been at least one Zelda game released for the Nintendo Switch every year since launch
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Why does every single game need to be released every generation? How bout we wait for switch 2 for some 3d all stars like game with those and maybe a OoT remake to go with it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Always thought Nintendo already has those remasters done sitting in their backlog saving them for bad times.

MrMephistoX

Why does every single game need to be released every generation? How bout we wait for switch 2 for some 3d all stars like game with those and maybe a OoT remake to go with it.
I’ll take it now assuming Switch 2 is BC and the games perform better on new hardware…but who are we kidding Nintendo is not Microsoft when it comes to emulation quality and BC. Still I’ll take HD Twilight Princess since I didn’t buy it on Wii U.

Marvel14

Banned
I'd rather see more than just additional Wii U ports. Give us enhanced versions with new content or actual remakes instead.

Why is this labelled a rumour when it's just some bloke's opinion?

jaysius

Banned
Great, more shitty ports. Switch is looking up.

How did Nintendo release so many great games generations ago, and now they don't want to make hardly any.

jigglet

Banned
Not sure if I'd play WW again but I think I'd be up for a third run through of TP. It wasn't even close to my favourite Zelda but how can I resist.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Going to be great with the maps and items on the second screen. Oh wait...
Yeah, going back to single screen for WW and having to open the sub-menu every 10 seconds to swap active items? No thanks.

TP I’d take, even if it’s far from my favorite Zelda.

Xbox zealots blew him up because him, and jez get a lot of controlled leaks from xbox, especially last year. Now everyone hangs on every word he says even though he has rarely guessed anything correctly about playstation or nintendo
Ah, now we know why certain people want him banned from here. Keep lobbying, my friends :messenger_beaming:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think he will be right on this. They have been on a trend to port all of their valuable Wii U back catalogue (I am sad because the Wii U could have been a great console with a bit better HW and OS integration) and they obviously have gotten good at it.

Also, they have a BotW 2 delay and a gap to fill to keep people happy. Same reason they pushed harder with Metroid: Dread (helps people wait for Metroid Prime 4).

Woopah

How did Nintendo release so many great games generations ago, and now they don't want to make hardly any.
They still do this. I can definitely see the Wii U ports being annoying in 2018 and 2020 when they took up a lot of Nintendo's release schedule, but outside those years they've been a very small part of Nintendo's release schedule.

CS Lurker

The guy is a machine gun of fake leaks, but this one can happen. Not that he knows anything, of course. It just makes sense.

Well, he's not wrong on this one. With Hyrule Warriors, we had one "zelda thing" (like he said) every year: BotW - 2017; Hyrule Warriors: DE - 2018; Link's Awakening - 2019; Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 2020; Skyward Sword - 2021.

Last edited:

GHound

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope this is true as it's been one of the things what is holding me back from getting a Switch. That along with not being in 4K, which still means I won't own a Switch....

Nevertheless, I do think it's important to get all of the Wii U library onto Switch.

Last edited:
60 euros. Emulated Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, they'll skip Majora Mask and buy some popcorn.

I rather get Oracle remakes.
Never going to happen on Aonuma's watch.

Even with Majora Mask he had to be held at gunpoint and because he didn't understand what he did his quality of life improvements just imploded the fun out of the game.

Oracle games are not his, so he has nothing but contempt for them. He's a jealous motherfucker.

Minish cap would have a bigger change, because it uses the Wind Waker aesthetic which had his blessing.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
You mean to say Nintendo's going to keep doing what they've pretty much been doing since the HD era of their consoles which is to 'remaster' older games and re-release them again? And this is now spun as a rumor or insider knowledge by Jeff Grub?! What a story mark!

Jeff ain't wrong in this instance but it's the most predictable thing ever lol, stop taking his shit as gospel. He's a clout chaser.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Um you have no clue do you? Nintendo has always released a limited number of great games. It always feels like a drought waiting for the next game from them that you'd actually want to play. If they ported these games what would make them shitty? They were fine on the WiiU and if they can put them out on the Switch why would that be something shitty? For those who didn't play them it is good to be able to play an updated version on a current platform. The games originally released more than 15 years ago some may want to revisit them and others may want the chance to play them without needing to figure out how to emulate them or the need to acquire a WiiU and copies. I get it. It makes you feel cool to call them shitty and rag on Nintendo because that tired shit flinging has been so popular for the last 5 years. FFS what company that supported a system that only sold 14 million total units would not try to port the games they made for it to a system that will soon have sold over 100 million units? You are whining about them doing something that makes business sense.

Ezquimacore

Banned
For like 6 or 7 we always have Zelda content in terms of new games, remakes or remasters so this is another BS prediction by Mr Jeff.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lots of people are predicting this. Maybe Grubb is just copying them so he may get something right.
This one doesn't even qualify as a leak. It's just kind of common sense.

They did this same thing with Mario 3D World in January. These games are likely ready to go and they sit on it until they need to fill a release slot. Currently no Zelda's announced for this year. 1+1=2. It's a solid guess, but nothing more.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
These 2 games and the Metroid Prime Trilogy not being on the Switch is a fucking scandal by now.

As Punished Miku Punished Miku was saying, they will go out when they need to fill a release slot. MP Trilogy remastered after Metroid Prime 4 if it comes out early next year or next year at all, banking on the success of it to drive sales, or more likely ahead of it to drum excitement up and make it easier to sell it as well as give Retro the opportunity to delay the release further if they do needed it.

Let’s see what they plan to do for Switch 2, their current strategy to fill gaps with cannot go on forever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom